Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
The freo chairman said that they will announce a $1 mill plus loss for the year. And that was a good result. And they got to play some home games.

That's nothing to them in the big scheme of things mate.

There will be losses closer to 10 mill for the year I think. And it’s worrying some of those big clubs.

If the football departments are all under the same caps, then that's fiscal mismanagement. Cut some of the little piggies off the teat.

I'm reading lot's of "allusion", but nothing in the way of hard data or politics that adds up to me.

I think it’s solely about money. The big clubs have already stated they will demand the AFL pay 100% of the salary cap, which to this point the AFL haven’t agreed to.

These same clubs will announce massive losses for 2020, and are probably fearful of more big losses in the next couple of years. They haven’t needed to run a tight ship to this point.

They see the $12 mill plus the extra in disequal funding north get and say, we could just get rid of north and get an extra $1 mill a year.
Based on a very quick search and so not completely up to date ...

We got $5M more than Collingwood in 2018 under the "Enhanced Club Funding Model", and only about $2.5M more than the median clubs. The real money pits are GC, GWS, and Brisbane (the Bears' situation might have improved since as they've headed up the ladder).

That $5M is about 12% of our total revenue, and would be <5% of revenue of a big club. $2.5M, which you could happily argue is the real amount of "suckling on the teat" we do, is down to about 6% of our total revenue. Every time someone accuses us of being a drain on the league, remember they're quibbling about 2-3 million bucks in a multi-billion dollar league.

My guess is a few clubs are looking uneasily at the bath they're going to take on lost pokie revenue this year. * 'em.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

We got $5M more than Collingwood in 2018 under the "Enhanced Club Funding Model", and only about $2.5M more than the median clubs. The real money pits are GC, GWS, and Brisbane (the Bears' situation might have improved since as they've headed up the ladder).

That $5M is about 12% of our total revenue, and would be <5% of revenue of a big club. $2.5M, which you could happily argue is the real amount of "suckling on the teat" we do, is down to about 6% of our total revenue. Every time someone accuses us of being a drain on the league, remember they're quibbling about 2-3 million bucks in a multi-billion dollar league.

My guess is a few clubs are looking uneasily at the bath they're going to take on lost pokie revenue this year. fu** 'em.

Finally, some data. Thanks Rob.

Okay, so for that $2-3 mill p.a., we supply 1/9th of the television rights revenue, correct? This is a nothing argument.

I don't believe this is what the gripe is about, and I still associate Koch's "land grab" quip with academies and player access, which mean more to the big clubs than a pissy $2-3 mill a year..

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
How?

By driving up the inflation of the sport?

If that's the case, then it ultimately goes back to them being put over a barrel by players.

Mate, you are thinking as if any rule change would be brought in across the board.

This sounds very much like a few clubs pushing for a set of their own rules to take the strain off the AFL.

My guess is a few clubs are looking uneasily at the bath they're going to take on lost pokie revenue this year. fu** 'em.

Agree.

Less clubs in the Vic landscape equals more pie for those who remain. If we die or relocate it’s in every other Vic clubs interest. With exception of maybe the next smallest club who will start getting talked about in the same terms we do. However, I doubt any of those clubs would be thinking about this. They’d be too busy trying to make a grab for our supporter base.

I don't know if it does increase the pie for those who remain. If say 2 clubs in Melbourne went away (hypothetically us and St Kilda) how do Collingwood make more money out of football? They now have to play extra games against even smaller interstate clubs and they have to play more games against remaining smaller Melbourne clubs (plus more travel). How does this help them significantly? I think there is an argument that it might help the medium sized Vic clubs though and the interstate clubs. It's not like they're going to get more prime time exposure - they already get well and beyond the normal share. Arguably their strength is diluted as the small Melbourne teams go - they need to compete against West Coast off field but each game is now more likely to be a smaller affair and more likely to be interstate.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Mate, you are thinking as if any rule change would be brought in across the board.

This sounds very much like a few clubs pushing for a set of their own rules to take the strain off the AFL.

I get that, but the way it's presented, it's also a very naked act of whining about entitlement, that would destabilize the entire competition.

Example: Does Andrew Pridham seriously want to rejig the power structure of the AFL and then think it's going to benefit his club? They would be plucking feathers out of the most entitled club in the comp straight away! :D He's inviting vampires in his front door.

What do this lot have in mind? Ditch 4-6 clubs and divide up the country between themselves? They would start turning on each other immediately.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne

How much of that $2.5 million could be offset if we had equal access to the highest revenue slots in the fixture? The big clubs get the closest to revenue optimisation fixtures from the AFL which flows through to ratings, membership, gate receipts, and sponsorship. I would venture there is at least another million in that effect.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
How much of that $2.5 million could be offset if we had equal access to the highest revenue slots in the fixture? The big clubs get the closest to revenue optimisation fixtures from the AFL which flows through to ratings, membership, gate receipts, and sponsorship. I would venture there is at least another million in that effect.

Yep. It's an illogical argument.

As long as channel 7 , Foxtel, Telstra and the radio stations continue to pay for the rights, they will not be wanting a drop in games.
Based on the new climate we will all be living in the monies will be less but so will the clubs costs.
I actually hate these s**t crap rumours, as we are a sound financial club at the moment.
We have a fantastic opportunity when the Arden st precinct is developed

(Log in to remove this ad.)

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers
I get that, but the way it's presented, it's also a very naked act of whining about entitlement, that would destabilize the entire competition.

Example: Does Andrew Pridham seriously want to rejig the power structure of the AFL and then think it's going to benefit his club? They would be plucking feathers out of the most entitled club in the comp straight away! :D He's inviting vampires in his front door.

What do this lot have in mind? Ditch 4-6 clubs and divide up the country between themselves? They would start turning on each other immediately.
Pridham is pissed off the AFL spends millions in western Sydney to "grow the game", much of which just goes to GWS.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Pridham is pissed off the AFL spends millions in western Sydney to "grow the game", much of which just goes to GWS.

The financial aspect that some seem to think this is about (not me), is what has kept his club alive for 30 years, that's why this angle makes no sense to me from any "power grab" perpsective.

DunderHead

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Agree.

I don't know if it does increase the pie for those who remain. If say 2 clubs in Melbourne went away (hypothetically us and St Kilda) how do Collingwood make more money out of football? They now have to play extra games against even smaller interstate clubs and they have to play more games against remaining smaller Melbourne clubs (plus more travel). How does this help them significantly? I think there is an argument that it might help the medium sized Vic clubs though and the interstate clubs. It's not like they're going to get more prime time exposure - they already get well and beyond the normal share. Arguably their strength is diluted as the small Melbourne teams go - they need to compete against West Coast off field but each game is now more likely to be a smaller affair and more likely to be interstate.

There’s still six million people in Victoria who will follow a Victorian team. You’re competing against one less in terms of grabbing those supporters, and also for the advertising dollars available in the Vic market.

There’s still six million people in Victoria who will follow a Victorian team. You’re competing against one less in terms of grabbing those supporters, and also for the advertising dollars available in the Vic market.

Long term maybe - Collingwood (example only) won't get more supporters tomorrow though and they'd be hard pressed to get more benefits from the league than they do today. I think personally that the biggest Melbourne clubs have the most to gain from the current setup and the least to gain from reducing Victorian clubs. If the AFL actually fixtured fairly that might not be the case, but they don't.

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Cameron's walk out has primed me for some Wilson & Robinson "basketcase" comments tonight.

.........or are GWS a protected species?

3 players have opted out of GWS and 2 of those that they were desperate to keep and confident that they would do so.

2 of * big-name players want out at any cost with rumours there are more that aren't happy.

Let's have another crack at North for doing what we all thought they needed to do for the past few years.

Psicosis

Brownlow Medallist
May 7, 2012
Bird Rock
AFL Club
North Melbourne
3 players have opted out of GWS and 2 of those that they were desperate to keep and confident that they would do so.

2 of * big-name players want out at any cost with rumours there are more that aren't happy.

Let's have another crack at North for doing what we all thought they needed to do for the past few years.

5 GWS players that they want to keep are leaving - Cameron, Corr, Caldwell, Hately, Williams.

It is an exodus, worse then * IMO

31152644-170D-43D5-B130-B127A2266D7A.jpeg

DunderHead

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Long term maybe - Collingwood (example only) won't get more supporters tomorrow though and they'd be hard pressed to get more benefits from the league than they do today. I think personally that the biggest Melbourne clubs have the most to gain from the current setup and the least to gain from reducing Victorian clubs. If the AFL actually fixtured fairly that might not be the case, but they don't.

Yeah fixturing might be a valid point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back