Opinion Commentary & Media IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't worry about Barrett and the impact he has on the image of the club. He's overreached. His criticism of all things North is so consistent, so vindicative and so so stupid that even oppo supporters can see through it and are bored by it. He's made himself irrelevant.

I wouldn't worry about Barrett and the impact he has on the image of the club. He's overreached. His criticism of all things North is so consistent, so vindicative and so so stupid that even oppo supporters can see through it and are bored by it. He's made himself irrelevant.
This is happening, I've noticed as well.

I did actually read his last bit of crap on GRs link.

Is he using Rhyce's situation to attack Buckley and Arch again?

Cos that is pretty low.

This is happening, I've noticed as well.

I did actually read his last bit of crap on GRs link.

Is he using Rhyce's situation to attack Buckley and Arch again?

Cos that is pretty low.

He did refer to Rhyce’s payout as an issue. He is a lowlife.
As I said in the other thread I hope one day Barrett gets into a lift and archer gets in and closes the door.
The guy needs to be given a wake up call

He did refer to Rhyce’s payout as an issue. He is a lowlife.
As I said in the other thread I hope one day Barrett gets into a lift and archer gets in and closes the door.
The guy needs to be given a wake up call

Rhyce was paid out before October 31st and Scott's contract was paid out this year already, so their payments wont impact the soft cap for 2021 and we still made a profit despite paying out all the coaches.

Not sure if anyone else heard Jeff Kennett on Derwayne's World today?
Correct what I'm recalling but they were talking about scheduling next year and JK was of the opinion that clubs that are unassisted (e.g. NMFC) deserve good scheduling regardless of their ladder position as they're the ones that aren't dragging the AFL down and if they (e.g. we) don't get good scheduling it would hinder the AFL's recovery and the strong position that those clubs have worked hard to be in. I would assume HFC are about to announce a small profit too then if that's the case, he wouldn't be out talking charity if it didn't benefit him in some way.

Correct what I'm recalling but they were talking about scheduling next year and JK was of the opinion that clubs that are unassisted (e.g. NMFC) deserve good scheduling regardless of their ladder position as they're the ones that aren't dragging the AFL down and if they (e.g. we) don't get good scheduling it would hinder the AFL's recovery and the strong position that those clubs have worked hard to be in. I would assume HFC are about to announce a small profit too then if that's the case, he wouldn't be out talking charity if it didn't benefit him in some way.

Anything Kennet says is heavily laced with self-interest, he would only ever talk up us if it indirectly help him, don't really give two shits what Kennett thinks, given the opportunity he would dig the hole and help to push us into it if he could get his way.

Rhyce was paid out before October 31st and Scott's contract was paid out this year already, so their payments wont impact the soft cap for 2021 and we still made a profit despite paying out all the coaches.

I don't understand how we would be liable to pay out Rhyce for 2021. He will not be able to perform his contracted duties, a situation that should be covered by insurance, but releases the club of any obligations.

Obviously he earned and is entitled to be paid for 2020, which I assume you're referring to in relation to his payout.

I don't understand how we would be liable to pay out Rhyce for 2021. He will not be able to perform his contracted duties, a situation that should be covered by insurance, but releases the club of any obligations.

Obviously he earned and is entitled to be paid for 2020, which I assume you're referring to in relation to his payout.

The wording was it was a mutual agreement to part ways, I think we probably offered something, doubt it was his full contract. I doubt we would have thrown him under the bus either.

Regardless, the media claims that our soft cap will be hampered by the Scott termination and Shaw departing are wrong.

It makes sense though. The big clubs draw a crowd regardless of time slot. If they are limiting numbers to games, they will have no trouble getting maximum attendance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The wording was it was a mutual agreement to part ways, I think we probably offered something, doubt it was his full contract. I doubt we would have thrown him under the bus either.

Regardless, the media claims that our soft cap will be hampered by the Scott termination and Shaw departing are wrong.

The fact that we had to pay Scott for this year still annoys me. So much for him being an honourable person.

And the fact that we made a profit after giving this dead weight his free money is quite stunning.

I have no problem with reaching a settlement with Rhyce, of course.

The fact that we had to pay Scott for this year still annoys me. So much for him being an honourable person.

And the fact that we made a profit after giving this dead weight his free money is quite stunning.

I have no problem with reaching a settlement with Rhyce, of course.

Yep, I love how he tried to make it a point of difference between him and other coaches, that he would walk away if at any time the club didn't think he was the right person for the job.

We must have a different definition to walking away. I do not consider it walking away with a suitcase full of cash I do not deserve and didn't work for, to take that from a small club when the sycophants at AFL gave him a job.

Quarantine hubs must be considered if a ‘worst-case scenario’ strikes league, says Jeff Kennett, Peter Gordon
Planning for the 2021 AFL season is underway and the latest modelling includes a ‘worst-case scenario’. From quarter lengths to hubs and crowds, here’s how next year could look.

Contingency plans for another AFL season using interstate hubs are being explored in the event of a fresh COVID-19 outbreak next winter.

Hawks president Jeff Kennett and Bulldogs counterpart Peter Gordon have confirmed modelling for next season includes the “worst-case scenario” of a return to hubs to keep the 2021 season alive.

But the league is still eyeing a season launch at the MCG in late March where Richmond will unveil two premiership flags against Carlton.

A decision on the length of the 2021 season and the length of quarters is expected by early December.

This year’s late finish could also mean some senior players may not begin pre-season training until January.

A standoff between the AFL and the AFL Players Association over list sizes and next year’s salary cap still threatens to complicate next week’s trade period.

Asked about the prospect of hubs in 2021, Gordon told the Herald Sun: “Could there be another spike? Sadly, yes. Everyone needs to be vigilant, because we all understand that this is a pretty vicious and highly infectious virus — and that there are many parts of the world that thought that they had it under control and then it got out of control again.”

“There has been discussion in the AFL about scenarios where hubs become necessary again in 2021. Obviously if there was another breakout in Victoria, then we would have to consider a hub situation again."

“No-one wants that, and the experience of 2020 demonstrates that while that is horrendously expensive, it’s actually a better economic option than closing things down.

“It’s better for the AFL because it keeps the show on the road. It’s better for players because it means they still get paid and it’s better for fans because, speaking as a fan myself, it was one bright spot in the nights of the bleakest winter I can ever remember. I’m grateful to everyone in the AFL who made it happen at all.”

Kennett said: “I am hopeful that in Victoria we will get back to 50 per cent crowds (next season), but the worst scenario would be if we had to go back into a hubs situation — that not only increases costs but it dislocates the game again.”

“That said, at this stage, with a few blanks to be filled in, I’m fairly optimistic we will get back to a full-round next year, 20-minute quarters and a daytime Grand Final.

“Hubs are one of the options that the AFL has discussed. All of those things are up in the air but the modelling has been done. Hopefully that won’t happen.”

Asked if players and coaches would be willing to enter hubs again, Kennett said: “They would have no option. They are paid to be professionals. They’ve got to perform regardless.”

Gordon added: “Everyone has a tipping point and there’s no guarantee that some of the players might say; ‘Not again; we’ve had enough’.

“And you could understand that ….it’s been bloody hard. But if our industry were in that situation, the players would be saying so understanding that it may be their decision was also obliterating the AFL’s ability to pay them.”

Gordon said the virus “seems to get out of control more as the weather turns colder”.

“So no-one in the AFL industry can afford to be complacent that a winter sport like AFL in 2021 may not be subject to severe disruption with a minimum of notice … maybe even in May or June of next year, and maybe when we thought we had it beaten.

“I think we need to be very wary of the notion that a vaccine or an elimination strategy is going to magically solve our problems one fine day.

“For that reason, every club and the AFL needs to be resolute about making every dollar that they can and saving every dollar that they can. ”

SHEEDS, LETHAL: WHY 20-MINUTE QUARTERS MUST RETURN
Footy greats Kevin Sheedy and Leigh Matthews have urged the AFL to revert back to 20-minute quarters in 2021.

Speculation is mounting that reduced 18-minute quarters will be introduced next season – up slightly from this year’s radical shift to 16-minutes.

But Sheedy and Matthews – rivals who collectively won 15 premierships as a player or coach – want the league to restore normality to the competition after the most challenging season in history.

When the COVID-19 pandemic upended the 2020 season in March, the AFL moved to cut quarters to 16 minutes to ease the workload on players and allow for a heavily condensed fixture.

It included a Festival of Footy where 33 games were played across 20 consecutive days, which could still be replicated next year.

The AFL is yet to commit to a time frame for decisions on the make-up of the 2021 season, including the length of quarters.

It won’t be 16 minutes, but league boss Gillon McLachlan has hinted at 18 minutes.

“This has been such an unfamiliar year for obvious reasons, so I think 2021 should look as much like 2019 as we can make it,” Matthews told the Herald Sun.

“I agree with Leigh,” Sheedy said. “If it was up to me, I would (go back to 20 minutes).“

“So much of it depends on what happens with COVID next year.“

“I don’t think the AFL needs to rush a decision on that one. But I would take it back to 2019 (times).”

Matthews has long been an advocate for radical rule changes in order to combat congestion to improve the aesthetics of the game — but not next year.

He is happy to put those beliefs aside for at least another season in order to return the game to a sense of normalcy for the fans, depending on what happens with the country‘s COVID-19 numbers in 2021.

“I am a great believer that big significant change has to happen to make the game as good as it can be, but next year is not the year to do it,“ Matthews said.

“I wouldn’t be changing rules. I would be going back to 20-minute quarters. I would be going back to what was familiar for the fans in 2021.”

Hawthorn president Jeff Kennett said a shortened version of the game in 2021 was not acceptable.

“You can’t be half pregnant,” Kennett said.

“We had 16-minute quarters this year and in the main these guys play once a week, they get well reimbursed and we want to see a proper season and a return to full quarters of 20 minutes.”

Matthews and Sheedy said members should be at the forefront of AFL’s decision-making, given the overwhelming majority stayed solid without seeing a game live.

Another coaching great Denis Pagan called on the league to not mess with the fabric of the game in the wake of the coronavirus crisis back in May.

“I just hope the people (at the AFL) making the decisions accept that they don’t own the game,” Pagan said.

“They are only caretakers while they are in the positions they are in now. The game will look after itself. We don’t need to be changing things for the sake of it.”

Asked about a time frame on quarter lengths and fixturing last Saturday, McLachlan told 3AW: “We’ve got a bit of time, but probably by the end of November all that sort of stuff will need to be known.

“I think they are targeting the fixture for the end of November, early December. So obviously, you will need to know whether it’s a six-week rolling thing by then. The quarters … you’ll certainly need to know (by) pre-season, but I think that is something that can be done by the end of November.

“Certainly, most of those decisions I reckon will be made this year. ”

RETURN TO FOOTY 2021
PART ONE: STATE OF THE GAME
Surviving COVID

Smashed by the biggest crisis in a century, the AFL and its 18 clubs found a way to complete the season and keep the doors open, despite the slashing of hundreds of jobs. But club chiefs warn another outbreak in Victoria will have far more drastic consequences in 2021.

Finances
Once fearing a $1 billion catastrophe, AFL boss Gillon McLachlan says industry losses for 2020 could fall below $100 million. About 200 jobs were cut at AFL House and hundreds more at clubland. The league is yet to reveal how much of its $60 million future fund it spent or how much it drew down on a $600 million loan facility.

Rules
The AFL has ruled out starting positions at all stoppages and 16-a-side matches to ease congestion, but remains concerned at low scoring. Other options include a tightening of the deliberate out-of-bounds rule, a weakening of prior opportunity, extending the length of kicks for a mark from 15m to 30m and a tighter cap on interchange rotations. The AFL is keen to lock in any potential rules changes for 2021 – if any – as soon as possible, most likely by December.

Game length
The AFL is giving mixed messages about the return of 20-minute quarters next season, with speculation 18-minute quarters will be introduced. Footy greats Kevin Bartlett, who insists “fatigue governs the game”, Kevin Sheedy and Leigh Matthews are among those strongly advocating the return of full length matches.

Commission
Sydney Swans chairman Andrew Pridham is leading the charge for a warts-and-all review of the AFL’s governance structure, including the commission system introduced in 1993 following the Crawford Report. AFL Commission chairman Richard Goyder was a no show at the Grand Final and is losing the support of some club chiefs.

Quarantine hubs
All state borders, except Western Australia, are tipped to be open by Christmas, but the prospect of clubs returning to hubs in some capacity in 2021 cannot be ruled out. Contingency options for 2021 in the events of another Victorian outbreak next year are being discussed.

Crowds
Depending on the COVID situation, limited crowds are likely to return to Victorian stadiums next season, delivering much-need gate takings. For bigger clubs this could mean member-only access for a while. About 25,000 fans will be permitted to attend the Boxing Day Test.

Fixturing
The league is likely to revert back to a 22-match home-and-away season played over 23 rounds. No start date has been locked in for 2021, but Gillon McLachlan’s stated aim is to have the competition kick off in mid-March, depending on the COVID-19 outlook. Networks are keen for another mid-season “festival of footy”, while the league is also exploring a more “agile” floating fixture that can be altered depending on marquee match-ups.

National draft
The national draft and rookie draft will be held in Melbourne on December 7.

Grand Final
Channel 7 is pushing for another night Grand Final next year, but an overwhelming majority of fans have consistently said ‘no’ in footy fan surveys voting for the traditional, family-friendly 2.30pm bounce. Goyder wants a twilight decider.

Tasmania
Hawthorn and North Melbourne have contracts to play “home” games on the Apple Isle for one more season. The push for a stand-alone Tassie team is growing, but Tasmania wants its own licence, not a relocated club. Hawks boss Jeff Kennett said: “There is a tripartite discussion between ourselves, Tasmania and the AFL. We know what Tasmania wants in terms of its own team, we are happy to help in assisting them if that is what the AFL wants, the question is what the time frame will be and whether the Tasmanian Government is supported and whether the AFL have the money to provide a viable team. We are prepared to assist in any way we can, and that will be a part of the negotiations, I have no doubt.”

AFLW
Abandoned without a premier in March, the women’s game is tentatively slated to return in February next year. A working group – the same group currently looking into the men’s return to play timetable – is looking into a potential start date for AFLW.

Broadcasting
Channel 7 has extended its deal until the end of 2024, while Foxtel is also in discussions over a new contract.

Is Barrett having a whack out of history of personal animosity between him the club or Archer and Buckley?

Or is his whack coming from the AFL? Very low to complain about having to pay Shaw for not coaching given the personal circumstances.
The former. And I reckon Buckley is letting him look like a goose.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Is Barrett having a whack out of history of personal animosity between him the club or Archer and Buckley?

Or is his whack coming from the AFL? Very low to complain about having to pay Shaw for not coaching given the personal circumstances.

Damo not the insider anymore at North and got his nose outta joint. But l think people can know see how petulant it has become carrying on like a 3yr old in a supermarket aisle because mum won't buy him a kinder surprise.

Barrett is just having a whack full stop. He gets aroused thinking about North's demise.

He was pretty quiet when Silvagni and Rendell were on.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back