Opinion Commentary & Media IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What did Eddie say Danni_Benson ? Can you elaborate?

Looking back at Ralph’s article he’s obviously referring to Carro not Eddie but I’ve got a bee in my bonnet about Eddie from earlier this year! We had just lost a couple of games in a row and COVID had just hit and his timing and commentary around North, directly after one of our loses, was extremely pessimistic and condescending and he ran with the relocation line. We all know when he speaks, it holds some weight and he’s usually speaking with some sort of in-house knowledge and I recall at the time how inappropriate it was coming from a president of another club. It really got me worked up. I’ve not forgiven him yet ! Lol.

Looking back at Ralph’s article he’s obviously referring to Carro not Eddie but I’ve got a bee in my bonnet about Eddie from earlier this year! We had just lost a couple of games in a row and COVID had just hit and his timing and commentary around North, directly after one of our loses, was extremely pessimistic and condescending and he ran with the relocation line. We all know when he speaks, it holds some weight and he’s usually speaking with some sort of in-house knowledge and I recall at the time how inappropriate it was coming from a president of another club. It really got me worked up. I’ve not forgiven him yet ! Lol.

Take some solace in the fact that his club has had arguably the worst offseason in AFL history, whilst our club has had arguably its best in the clubs history.

He wonders why clubs were quick to kick collingwood whilst they were down by taking their players for two fifths of f*** all.

Take some solace in the fact that his club has had arguably the worst offseason in AFL history, whilst our club has had arguably its best in the clubs history.

He wonders why clubs were quick to kick collingwood whilst they were down by taking their players for two fifths of f*** all.
I'm all for some positivity but I would hardly say we're having our best offseason ever.

I can't believe i'm saying it but ol' Ralphy is 100% spot on here. Most of us here avoid the absolute cesspool that is social media when it comes to footy, but the sad truth is this stuff represents what the general population see and hear about clubs, and when we are constantly talked about as being "poor" "a shambles" "should relocate" etc. by the Barrett's & Caro's of the world it becomes deeply ingrained in the average punters overall perception of us as a club.

And no, just ignoring it will not make it go away.
Could not agree more. I'm one of a very few North supporters in my social and professional networks, and the 'North is struggling/a step away from being relocated' belief is deeply ingrained. Many people who otherwise display good understanding of footy and the industry are genuinely surprised when I point out our financial position. Don't even get me started on how many list changes other teams have had over previous seasons without the same 'don't know how they will field a team next year' narrative.

He is definitely right about getting on the front foot with the media. I’m not sure why so many people on here think that just ignoring it is a solution.

Agree. We’ve been down the ‘ignore it, it will go away track’ for too long. It hasn’t helped and we get walked over (feels that way anyway). We need to call it out when it’s blatant rubbish! So easy to do nowadays with social media. Nip it in the bud and call out the fools!

2013 offseason was good. Dal Santo, Geoff Walsh, Tudor.
2014 we got Waite and Higgins.

Can I add an old bloke's slant to these valid points? At the end of 1972, we got Barassi as Coach, Davis as Captain, Rantall and Wade. A pretty good off season. We were all walking a lot taller that Christmas and New Year. Followed the next year by Cable returning, plus Blight.

But it is truly great to see our progress over the last few weeks. I think it is coming together nicely. Patience required, but a sense of purpose is evident.

Go Roos.

Can I add an old bloke's slant to these valid points? At the end of 1972, we got Barassi as Coach, Davis as Captain, Rantall and Wade. A pretty good off season. We were all walking a lot taller that Christmas and New Year. Followed the next year by Cable returning, plus Blight.

But it is truly great to see our progress over the last few weeks. I think it is coming together nicely. Patience required, but a sense of purpose is evident.

Go Roos.

Can you?

Not only can you but you should post a lot more often Bert, because one of your posts is worth more than the 1000 other ignorant supercoach/tabloid cheerleader posts that get passed off as decent opinion around here.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He is definitely right about getting on the front foot with the media. I’m not sure why so many people on here think that just ignoring it is a solution.
its a double edged sword, just because you empower some members of media street with information doesn't insure they will run with the facts, caro and barret are glaring examples of this, the former has had an agenda for years and the latters bitterness from being excluded is more recent. if any so called scoops are to be released to the media they need to be done through journalists with more integrety such as RoCo for example, the problem is that these journalists seem to be a dying breed and the bottom feeders attract more clicks. and clicks equal advertising revenue in the current age.

Well at least he called Barrett out and said his poison pen is sanctioned by the AFL

That was the one thing that hit home to me. Also, he gave a shout out to our financial situation at the expense of the Saints! In general, Ralph rubs me up the wrong way. However, it’s the best write-up we’ve ever had from him or his ilk. I hear even “Wallet” has spoken well of our coach appointment. I’m keeping my eye out for flying pigs today.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Agreed with all of Ralphs points except the pick 2 split.

If we're cavalier enough to try that I'd want better returns from either trade.

6,7,8 or 5, 27 etc + 2021 R1.

Out of interest, if we had picks 6 & 7 and somebody offered us pick 2 in exchange - would we jump at it?

Because the conversation is not happening with rational people and we shouldn’t legitimise their ramblings by entering into a conversation.

But the general public eat it up and their perception becomes that we are broke and need to move to Tassie. If the club sits back and says nothing then why would they think any different?

Agreed with all of Ralphs points except the pick 2 split.

If we're cavalier enough to try that I'd want better returns from either trade.

6,7,8 or 5, 27 etc + 2021 R1.

If a team wants pick 2 then they have to come to the party with an offer that is way overs. There's a perception out there that we'd need to sweeten a deal. Bollocks.

Out of interest, if we had picks 6 & 7 and somebody offered us pick 2 in exchange - would we jump at it?

In this draft, absolutely darn tootin' we would. As mentioned earlier, we are quite possibly looking at Dustin Martin vs John Butcher and Andrew Moore. There's a very good reason why Essendon is pushing for this trade. They know we have a better hand.

If we do it, it has to be for two top tens in this draft.

Would be good to package up some later picks to get into the second round somehow - as it stands now, having two picks inside the first 30 isn't enough, IMO.

But the general public eat it up and their perception becomes that we are broke and need to move to Tassie. If the club sits back and says nothing then why would they think any different?

I hear your frustration A but this is NM’s lot, I’ve commented before that in the 70’s we bough our premierships in the 90’s we were a one man team and on and on, that’s the sort of rubbish you still hear today.
As far as I’m concerned our silence is definitely deafening to the point that it’s been actually been brought too light by one of the poison scribes themselves, in our defence no less.
There are lots of ways to argue and taking the higher ground seems the appropriate coarse I think. Why give oxygen to the likes of C&d? Brady and Glen came out a few weeks ago and had the interview with Robbo address the nonsense in a grown up manner and since then C&d have slowly slunk away.
Having said all that, it doesn’t stop us from calling them ******* lying poisonous scum!
On this site.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back