Opinion Commentary & Media IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
doesn't make any sense now to point to north melbourne. we don't have the most debt or the least members, we have a stable headquarters (that we've had for the better part of 150 years) a fresh new coach and football department and better on-field prospects than most clubs. don't see how it's us that has to die (and that's what relocation is) over melbourne, st. kilda, even footscray.

the real answer to all of this is that when the coronavirus pandemic is over and the league can run again, there's no reason it can't go back to the successful model it had before. anyone trying to say clubs need to go right now is just opportunistically using this crisis to pick off a club they hate and shape the league the way they think it should exist. no reason to pay them any mind.

This is literally schoolyard dynamics. Everyone is feeling under threat so people start ganging up on the smallest and most vulnerable kids.

It's not a North Melbourne crisis, it's a global economic meltdown induced by a pandemic. The streets of New York are deserted. We're not going to fall of a cliff here while 17 other clubs are swimming in cash.

Here we go again.

The problem with this s**t is it now all over social media and the morons of the world will join in on this.

Pushing this 'false' uncertainty of our future is damaging for the club, especially when attracting new sponsors and supporters.

Amarfio needs to return a big right hook here.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Here we go again.

The problem with this s**t is it now all over social media and the morons of the world will join in on this.

Pushing this 'false' uncertainty of our future is damaging for the club, especially when attracting new sponsors and supporters.

Amarfio needs to return a big right hook here.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Agreed. The more I read stuff about it the angrier I get. How dare she start this s**t again? I refuse to even watch the clip of her that’s been posted here but am I correct that she said we should’ve gone to the gold coast?

LEAVE US THE **** ALONE!!!

doesn't make any sense now to point to north melbourne. we don't have the most debt or the least members, we have a stable headquarters (that we've had for the better part of 150 years) a fresh new coach and football department and better on-field prospects than most clubs. don't see how it's us that has to die (and that's what relocation is) over melbourne, st. kilda, even footscray.

the real answer to all of this is that when the coronavirus pandemic is over and the league can run again, there's no reason it can't go back to the successful model it had before. anyone trying to say clubs need to go right now is just opportunistically using this crisis to pick off a club they hate and shape the league the way they think it should exist. no reason to pay them any mind.
What we need is a massive cash reserve, and I mean in the tens of millions.

They view everything through the prisim of money. If you have that you are pretty much untouchable.

I’d have Brown above Horse at this point personally.

Similar scoring rate in a worse side and a much lower scoring era.

I’d also just about argue Cunners would of been the best midfielder in that 90’s side had he played in it.

Either he or Schwass.
In their first six seasons:

John Longmire - 358.204 in 110 games @ 3.23gpg
Ben Brown - 279.132 in 121 games @ 2.3gpg

I'm pretty sure Longmire spent a parts of 1988 and 1989 in defence as well, so to still average over 3gpg is a very good effort.

Caroline Wilson has had it in for the NMFC since the early 90's (at least) and Craig Hutchinson is an antagonist and sensationalist, but he isn't a journalist. It's all fake news and bluster from two people who are drowning in irrelevance with each ludicrous comment.

Tasmania will never get a football team permanently in their state because they don't have population to support it, and their population is expected to decline over the next decade. According to the ABS, in around 10-12 years time Canberra's population is expected to be greater than all of Tasmania's, so why aren't they being mentioned as a place for a permanent team?

North Melbourne get mentioned in these relocation/merger discussions every time because we are a small inner city club and the last club to find itself in genuine financial difficulty. The Media have short memories, but they remember the bad stuff while ignoring all the rebuilding and public engagement that has taken place since that meeting in December 2007. I think the time and work put in by our board, staff, players and members have us in a better position than a couple of other Melbourne teams and should see us in a safe and secure position as long as we stay united.

Last edited:
In their first six seasons:

John Longmire - 358.204 in 110 games @ 3.23gpg
Ben Brown - 279.132 in 121 games @ 2.3gpg

I'm pretty sure Longmire spent a parts of 1988 and 1989 in defence as well, so to still average over 3gpg is a very good effort.

It's kind of like comparing pre-war era's compared to modern zone defences and smaller foward lines now imo.

You can only really compare them and how they fared in respect to their peers at the time.

Horse played the majorty of time in the forward line in 88'. He kicked 2 goals a game.

Horse had around 5-6 years near the top of the comp, Brown has had 4 already. So it's fairly close.

Brown:

2015 - 36th
2016 - 10th
2017 - 3rd
2018 - 2nd
2019 - 2nd in Coleman

Longmire:

1988 - 50th
1989 - N/A
1990 - 1st
1991 - 3rd
1992 - 8th
1993 - 5th
1994 - 5th
1995 - 9th
1996 - Inj.
1997 - N/A
1998 - N/A
1999 - N/A

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I got tagged in it on social media

I hope this economy downturn kills off the majority of AFL journalists

"Twelve-hundred journalists covering AFL isn't sustainable" either.

On that note, I hope Croc Media employ good hygiene standards.

..Oh yeh, I went there baby.

The AFL executive who was in charge of relocating us was Gillon McLachlan. He came up with the "$100m" incentive, which was less than half true but hung around long enough to cloud peoples perceptions.

The journalist doing most of his bidding was Caroline Wilson who actually spoke on behalf of her newspaper when she said the Age's position was that the Kangaroos should take up the offer.

Make no mistake there is blood in the water and these people are going to be relentless if they think there's a chance to get what they want.

Ummmm that’s a no to Canberra as well

I reckon if we were to relocate that would be it for me.

The only thing that keeps me interested is North. The rest is one great big yawn (the football media) mixed in with frustration (Ray Chamberlain feature article on the weekend/ Rules) and the overall self importance of people in the Industry

We would be naive to think that the structure of the 2021 competition won't be looked at. This will include relocations.
My concern is this mention of North Melbourne as the first option and "Several other clubs are saying North Melbourne to
Tasmania is the obvious solution...and ten clubs in Victoria is not sustainable. I don't doubt that the larger interstate Clubs
would be of this view but what of the other Vic Clubs? In the Gold Coast saga, Caro ran the AFL position. Is this the start of
another campaign? Only time will tell.
Was about to post a similar response. Carro is an AFL spokesperson so I have no doubt this was a strategically placed comment. This whole economic disaster will be a reason for the AFL to do things differently and lets face facts - we are vulnerable. We need to be very alert.

Ummmm that’s a no to Canberra as well

I reckon if we were to relocate that would be it for me.

The only thing that keeps me interested is North. The rest is one great big yawn (the football media) mixed in with frustration (Ray Chamberlain feature article on the weekend/ Rules) and the overall self importance of people in the Industry
Relocate to Katamatite? Everyone stay at Gaso place for home games.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

It's kind of like comparing pre-war era's compared to modern zone defences and smaller foward lines now imo.

You can only really compare them and how they fared in respect to their peers at the time.

Horse played the majorty of time in the forward line in 88'. He kicked 2 goals a game.

Horse had around 5-6 years near the top of the comp, Brown has had 4 already. So it's fairly close.

Brown:

2015 - 36th
2016 - 10th
2017 - 3rd
2018 - 2nd
2019 - 2nd in Coleman

Longmire:

1988 - 50th
1989 - N/A
1990 - 1st
1991 - 3rd
1992 - 8th
1993 - 5th
1994 - 5th
1995 - 9th
1996 - Inj.
1997 - N/A
1998 - N/A
1999 - N/A

I'd still take Longmire at this stage, but another 2 or 3 seasons of 60+ goals from Brown and it would be hard to go past him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back