Opinion Commentary & Media IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMG_9690.JPG

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Praise be!
What's all this crazy talk about flags?

Doesn't he just "hope" we can build a "brand" of football that we "think" will stand up under finals pressure?
Believe it or not I saw "tough guy" Barry Hall pull out of a contest with Firrito too.

Commentators must've been reaching for their coffees at that exact moment.
If it's the same game I'm thinking of, he was also caught on mic sooking to the umpires at quarter time about Spud continually roughing him up. Hard as.

The Dingrel

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 25, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Brisbane Bandits
Believe it or not I saw "tough guy" Barry Hall pull out of a contest with Firrito too.

I remember a young Barry Hall in Mick Martyn's face, walking off at quarter time, Mick had had a bad run at the tribunal of late and was obvious Hall was trying to provoke a response, could tell he was fuming. Then Archer got involved.....bye bye Barry.

It's a crime that Hall and Eade were allowed and encouraged to paint us like the devils and they were the heroes. (I wanted to say something else but that would be exaggerating)
The funny (not funny) thing about that game was how Luke Darcy, who was commentating, reacted to Scotty T knocking Baz over while he was tying his laces. Suffice to say, you'd think that Scotty had burned down an orphanage such was the shock and revulsion Darce was displaying.

Strangely, only a few weeks earlier against West Coast (Boomer's point of the century game), Scotty did the same thing to Le Cras and the commentators all thought it was an hilarious bit of by-play. Commentators including one L. Darcy.

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I remember a young Barry Hall in Mick Martyn's face, walking off at quarter time, Mick had had a bad run at the tribunal of late and was obvious Hall was trying to provoke a response, could tell he was fuming. Then Archer got involved.....bye bye Barry.

Not sure how old you are Dingers but * used to have a faux big, tough guy in the '70's. One Ronnie Andrews.

One day Windy Hill he tried to take on one Stewie Gull who was playing for Sth. Melbourne. Stewie had boxed a bit formerly in the day and could play a bit of footy.

Needless to say Ronnie didn't last long.

After knocking Andrews to the ground, the Bomber defender dared Gull to “try it again”. Gull responded by decking Andrews a second time. It was a technical knockout and Andrews never asked Gull to “try it again”, even though there were calls for the two to fight on “TV Ringside”.

Got 3 weeks.

Not sure how old you are Dingers but * used to have a faux big, tough guy in the '70's. One Ronnie Andrews.

One day Windy Hill he tried to take on one Stewie Gull who was playing for Sth. Melbourne. Stewie had boxed a bit formerly in the day and could play a bit of footy.

Needless to say Ronnie didn't last long.

After knocking Andrews to the ground, the Bomber defender dared Gull to “try it again”. Gull responded by decking Andrews a second time. It was a technical knockout and Andrews never asked Gull to “try it again”, even though there were calls for the two to fight on “TV Ringside”.

Got 3 weeks.
Rotten Ronnie Andrews would be lucky to play 10 games these days - geez he was tough. Oh the good old days where you could just snot a bloke who was giving you the shits.

The funny (not funny) thing about that game was how Luke Darcy, who was commentating, reacted to Scotty T knocking Baz over while he was tying his laces. Suffice to say, you'd think that Scotty had burned down an orphanage such was the shock and revulsion Darce was displaying.

Strangely, only a few weeks earlier against West Coast (Boomer's point of the century game), Scotty did the same thing to Le Cras and the commentators all thought it was an hilarious bit of by-play. Commentators including one L. Darcy.

I might be reading too much into it, but there was a stong sense of Barry as a man not being responsible for his actions (a la domestic violence incidents) to me. The idea that Barry was just a hard working bloke pushed too far had some unattractive undertones. The same kind of excuses get made for some real dregs of society. Scotty's actions were nuisance ones that many, many players over the years had done. Of course, Barry Hall was given a Grand Final berth that few other players would ever have received...

I might be reading too much into it, but there was a stong sense of Barry as a man not being responsible for his actions (a la domestic violence incidents) to me. The idea that Barry was just a hard working bloke pushed too far had some unattractive undertones. The same kind of excuses get made for some real dregs of society. Scotty's actions were nuisance ones that many, many players over the years had done. Of course, Barry Hall was given a Grand Final berth that few other players would ever have received...
100% spot on.

It's not Baz's fault he suffers from an anger management problem and had a tendency to repeatedly commit assaults in his place of work. It's that pesky Scott Thompson.

I just hope Mrs Hall never overcooks Baz's steak or buys him the wrong brand of premixed bourbon and coke. A man can only tolerate so much.

Was that vs COLA at the dome? At one point Hall squibbed against Firrito in a contest and followed it up soon after with a late hit from behind after Spud kicked the ball out of defence. Summed up the laughable tough guy act perfectly.

Same match some clown in a Swans scarf dribbled to my mate "how much is an airfare to the Gold Coast?" which got a reply of "not sure champ, can you remember how much the tram fare was to South Melbourne?"

They're * supporters with an income.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Commentators including one L. Darcy.
Few weeks back when Foxtel replayed the Round 22 1998 game, it really stood out how Darcy played the last 10 minutes with a total disinterest when it got hot with the game on the line. Absolutely bruise free football effort.

Rotten Ronnie Andrews would be lucky to play 10 games these days - geez he was tough. Oh the good old days where you could just snot a bloke who was giving you the shits.
Is it correct Ronnie is Drew Petrie's uncle?

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Was that vs COLA at the dome? At one point Hall squibbed against Firrito in a contest and followed it up soon after with a late hit from behind after Spud kicked the ball out of defence. Summed up the laughable tough guy act perfectly.

Same match some clown in a Swans scarf dribbled to my mate "how much is an airfare to the Gold Coast?" which got a reply of "not sure champ, can you remember how much the tram fare was to South Melbourne?"

They're * supporters with an income.

Not sure on that game mate, I'm pretty sure his little squib was during his westerns phase.

It was funny how quickly he lost interest in his post-football boxing career. When you can only hit someone when they are looking at you and when they can legally hit you back, that kind of makes you question the meaning of life.

Always felt this way about him. Had this big tough reputation but wasn't exactly running headfirst into packs or taking hits for the team.

But he was a sharpshooter who an opponent who was unaware a fight had even started happened to be looking the other way.

I recall a year or so ago I was watching one of those Fox shows about fantastic 30 minutes, or whatever they called it, relating to last quarter thrillers.

The game was us v Sydney at the SCG and it must have been Hall's first or second year as a Sydney player. He literally spent that last quarter avoiding his direct opponent, Mick Martyn. One of the greatest faux tough guys ever to play. Just pathetic.

This discussion also reminds me of something that still gets me annoyed when I think about it. Many of you will also recall it - after the Scott Thompson incident, that pea-brain umpires boss, Jeff Geischen, made a call to Barry to congratulate him on his self control. FMD.

north_lad

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I recall a year or so ago I was watching one of those Fox shows about fantastic 30 minutes, or whatever they called it, relating to last quarter thrillers.

The game was us v Sydney at the SCG and it must have been Hall's first or second year as a Sydney player. He literally spent that last quarter avoiding his direct opponent, Mick Martyn. One of the greatest faux tough guys ever to play. Just pathetic.

This discussion also reminds me of something that still gets me annoyed when I think about it. Many of you will also recall it - after the Scott Thompson incident, that pea-brain umpires boss, Jeff Geischen, made a call to Barry to congratulate him on his self control. FMD.

Remember that horrible show they had on the AFL site where GIESCH would hop on and defend laughably bad umpiring decisions? Absolute w***er

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Remember that horrible show they had on the AFL site where GIESCH would hop on and defend laughably bad umpiring decisions? Absolute w***er

My brother in law went to teachers college with the Giesch. Went to a Bullies v * game at Westerns with him in the 70's. Giesch was playing in the 2's and my b-i-l called out to him. The Giesch wandered over and chatted to him in the last q. for about 5 mins. Game still going on ! 😆

north_lad

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
My brother in law went to teachers college with the Giesch. Went to a Bullies v * game at Westerns with him in the 70's. Giesch was playing in the 2's and my b-i-l called out to him. The Giesch wandered over and chatted to him in the last q. for about 5 mins. Game still going on ! 😆

Guess he brought that same professionalism to coaching Richmond and being the boss of the umps eh?

Not sure on that game mate, I'm pretty sure his little squib was during his westerns phase.
Sounds like he had form that it wasn't a one off. The one I remember was definitely against COLA as my friend got us seats in the Medallion Club, and there hasn't been too many games watched from there.

SonofSamsquanch

Enjoy decent coffee but don't dunk yer biscuits
Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Not hard to believe. Did you see the night when Hall (St Kilda) tried to take on Carey at the dome? He had his pants pulled down and spent the night sooking like a bully who copped it from somebody's mum. He embarrased himself and his club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back