lockheed

Club Legend
Oct 22, 2005
Night Vale
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne
In case you're interested - a 'Who's the deadliest' contest between Polly Farmer and our Barry Cable - I enjoyed watching Barry's highlights

Bertie22

Team Captain
Apr 22, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
One for Bertie or Mastermind.
Thanks for that Hoj, especially after a few reds! Nevertheless, I have taken up the challenge!

I reckon that Michael didn't play a senior match. (Backed up by Encyclopedia of League Footballers and that is my bible.) However, it is possible that he played in the post season night series at South Melbourne around 1969-1970 as I seem to recall that it was an opportunity to blood players.

The following is from australianfootball.com. Not sure about its credibility, but this reads according to my memory at the time.
With the conclusion of the schoolboy footy season, Michael managed to break into the North Melbourne senior side, at the age of 16 – it was a night game against Fitzroy. He was quiet during this game, but showed glimpses of how good he would be in the future.

In that same year, Michael played in two reserve grade finals against Hawthorn and Melbourne, kicking a goal against Melbourne in a losing side. He also won the award, for the best, first year player with the North Melbourne under 19s. During his three years at North Melbourne, Michael had not only won the best first year player award but also the highest respect from everyone at the club. A bright future was ahead of him with everyone looking forward to it.

It's a sad story. Reality bites. Hope this helps.

Update- Checked wikipedia before signing off-
Michael, recruited from Trinity Grammar, who was showing great promise at North Melbourne at the age of 16, played for the North Melbourne First XVIII on Thursday, 10 September 1970 against Footscray, in the first round of the 1970 VFL night premiership. North Melbourne lost 6.7 (43) to 14.13 (97).

Michael also played in the North Melbourne Second XVIII team that lost the 1970 preliminary final to Melbourne, and he kicked one goal in a losing team.

Michael was killed, aged 17, when he was hit by a motor-car whilst on a training run in High Street, Doncaster (near Curnola Avenue) on Saturday evening 26 June 1971.

I am now feeling deflated. Those of you my age or older would probably feel the same. For you younger fans, think Jesse Smith, Ben Jacobs, Kieran Harper. Package them all together in the unrealised potential category and you have something akin to Michael Kekovich. At a time when North was really struggling and none of us could know that the good times were just around the corner, his loss was a dagger through the heart. Hopefully you get my drift.

Thanks for that Hoj, especially after a few reds! Nevertheless, I have taken up the challenge!

I reckon that Michael didn't play a senior match. (Backed up by Encyclopedia of League Footballers and that is my bible.) However, it is possible that he played in the post season night series at South Melbourne around 1969-1970 as I seem to recall that it was an opportunity to blood players.

The following is from australianfootball.com. Not sure about its credibility, but this reads according to my memory at the time.
With the conclusion of the schoolboy footy season, Michael managed to break into the North Melbourne senior side, at the age of 16 – it was a night game against Fitzroy. He was quiet during this game, but showed glimpses of how good he would be in the future.

In that same year, Michael played in two reserve grade finals against Hawthorn and Melbourne, kicking a goal against Melbourne in a losing side. He also won the award, for the best, first year player with the North Melbourne under 19s. During his three years at North Melbourne, Michael had not only won the best first year player award but also the highest respect from everyone at the club. A bright future was ahead of him with everyone looking forward to it.

Michael, recruited from Trinity Grammar, who was showing great promise at North Melbourne at the age of 16, played for the North Melbourne First XVIII on Thursday, 10 September 1970 against Footscray, in the first round of the 1970 VFL night premiership. North Melbourne lost 6.7 (43) to 14.13 (97).

Michael also played in the North Melbourne Second XVIII team that lost the 1970 preliminary final to Melbourne, and he kicked one goal in a losing team.

Michael was killed, aged 17, when he was hit by a motor-car whilst on a training run in High Street, Doncaster (near Curnola Avenue) on Saturday evening 26 June 1971.

I am now feeling deflated. Those of you my age or older would probably feel the same. For you younger fans, think Jesse Smith, Ben Jacobs, Kieran Harper. Package them all together in the unrealised potential category and you have something akin to Michael Kekovich. At a time when North was really struggling and none of us could know that the good times were just around the corner, his loss was a dagger through the heart. Hopefully you get my drift.

great words Bertie. I was overseas when he died but read about it in a paper at Australia House, was devastated.

lockheed

Club Legend
Oct 22, 2005
Night Vale
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne

Abso ... f****** ... lutely

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Wonderful Bertie. Thanks 👍

Hojuman

조수미 사랑해요
May 20, 2012
Seoul
AFL Club
North Melbourne
great words Bertie. I was overseas when he died but read about it in a paper at Australia House, was devastated.

20200330_161600.jpg

It's already decided.

B. Cable world champion forever.

My favourite World of Sport story as told by Lou Richards. Jack O'Toole (I think Jack) used to count in the woodchop - axemen - ready etc etc. After the show they would all get together for a few or many. Jack died but they kept using his count in for the woodchop. After a few months Jack Dyer said to Lou - geez that Jack O'Toole has gone funny - he doesn't even come and have a beer anymore. Lou had to tell him Jack died 6 months ago.,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone

Thank you for such a great post albeit on a very sad topic.

It gave a very relatable account of Michael as a North Melbourne rising talent as well as a sense of the loss too.

My favourite World of Sport story as told by Lou Richards. Jack O'Toole (I think Jack) used to count in the woodchop - axemen - ready etc etc. After the show they would all get together for a few or many. Jack died but they kept using his count in for the woodchop. After a few months Jack Dyer said to Lou - geez that Jack O'Toole has gone funny - he doesn't even come and have a beer anymore. Lou had to tell him Jack died 6 months ago.,

there was also the time that Jack was told on camera that one of his great rivals , Carlton’s Bob Chitty, had passed away and , though you could tell Jack was saddened by the news, it came out as “oh that’s a bit of bad luck for Bob”.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Stop giving this sh*tstain oxygen.

She's spewing blood because we dodged some massive bullets and arrived at this in relatively good shape.

The AFL's darlings up in Sydney must be feeling the big pinch and she has basically painted us as the protagonists with our big buck Longmire bids.

It's brilliant, three wins in one swoop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back