Opinion Commentary & Media IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

He has got a bit of glee with this subject

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I think he can be babbling clown, but also think he’s actually a footy fan....he liked our brutality etc last year. We have completely lost all of that. The past few weeks, apart from the Bears game, have been pretty diabolical.

Back in February, North Melbourne’s aim for 2020 could not have been made any clearer by coach Rhyce Shaw.

With last year’s success as a caretaker coach, there were positive signs for the Roos heading into a year of uncertainty.

“I want to make one thing very clear. We are here to win. Our goal is to exceed the expectations we’ve set and the right to be called a top team, an elite team. We’re not there yet but we are coming,” Shaw declared at the club’s season launch.

But things can change very quickly – just ask the AFL world – with the Roos in contention for the wooden spoon sitting 17th with one weekend of action remaining.

In what can only be described as a failed year, North has won just three games, with Melbourne legend Garry Lyon unclear over what has gone wrong since the club defeated 2020 premiership contenders Richmond, Collingwood, St Kilda and Port Adelaide less than 12 months ago.

“The drop off is pretty staggering, it’s as bad as it has been in recent times,” he said on Fox Footy’s On The Couch.
“That sense of optimism was off the back of last year when he took over and they beat Richmond, Collingwood and St Kilda. They beat the team who is a game clear on top of the ladder, Port Adelaide, by 86-points. What happened? Now what we hear from Rhyce is these players are not AFL standard.

“That team that beat Richmond, there were 21 of the 22 players still at the club (on the weekend), 14 played. The only one not there is Scott Thompson. 14 of that group are still out there and we saw a performance on the weekend that was lamentable, to the point of all of the normal North Melbourne conversations are had.

“The conversation is – why are we here? Rhyce, he has to own this. This is a coaching who comes in with a young coaching group around him, preaches defence first. They laid 13 tackles in a half of footy on the weekend. This is as a bad as those sides, how Adelaide were going at the start of the year, if not worse now. There’s no intent.”

Nick Riewoldt declared some of the work in the club’s loss to Fremantle as “training drill stuff”, with Lyon quipping their actions were “worse than that”.
“The narrative is sometimes we don’t talk about North because it’s a bit of a ‘oh well we’re in rebuild’, but they won the first two games and they weren’t thinking rebuild,” Lyon said.

“The stuff they’ve chucked up this last seven or eight weeks is as bad as any football team.

“There’s no system, no identifiable system about the way they play. When Rhyce took over it was smash, crash in and let’s go conservative around the line and start again.

“There’s none (now). He may have won the job on the back of this (in 2019). Where is it? And what has gone wrong? And why is it not there? You don’t have to win games, where’s this stuff?”
“The narrative is we are no good now and we are in a rebuild. The players were doing this stuff last year.”

I think he can be babbling clown, but also think he’s actually a footy fan....he liked our brutality etc last year. We have completely lost all of that. The past few weeks, apart from the Bears game, have been pretty diabolical.
Robbo messages me after most north games and we have a nice chat, i don't get the impression he dislikes the team at all even if i disagree with a lot of his opinions

C64CA87E-331D-435E-9475-4549F0555053.png
Found this this afternoon, it was done by Roy Morgan. How the **** do Sydney have a 30% gap on the next club? Anyway I don’t trust the method based on that figure.

We’d be first if they took BF activity in to account when they tallied up the numbers.

P.S. Not sure if this is the right thread so by all means delete.

View attachment 962425
Found this this afternoon, it was done by Roy Morgan. How the **** do Sydney have a 30% gap on the next club? Anyway I don’t trust the method based on that figure.

We’d be first if they took BF activity in to account when they tallied up the numbers.

Hopefully this puts paid to all those “Shoulda gone to the Gold Coast arguments”.....we’d be worse off. 190 odd thousand of us be dead for a start.

View attachment 962425

It's television ratings garbage.

View attachment 962425

I suspect the same poll would list me as a Melbourne Storm fan. Doesn't mean I do anything about it (i.e. buy a membership, go to games, watch on tv).

View attachment 962425

I assume Storm would have the most support of NRL clubs because almost anyone in Melbourne asked which NRL team you support would say Storm even though 99% probably have never seen a game and probably never will.

This type of survey is meaningless. Football clubs have different regions they get a lot of their support from, it would have to be a pretty extensive survey to be accurate, I doubt that it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's Roy Morgan, so I don't think you can doubt the extensiveness. I reckon it's probably pretty accurate, if you're only asking people who their favourite team is.
The Storm comparison is perfect.

We should be celebrating the fact that we are able to get so many members from such a low supporter base.

Last edited:
I was a Roy Morgan interviewee a few years back. Used to get a $10 Coles voucher for my thoughts. Paid for a tray of lamb chops. Depending on the survey it was very detailed and time consuming. I think I was in the Consumer Team; do I eat this, wat do you think of the package, do you eat out? Do you like a Twister or 3 piece feed? After a big night out? Kind of questions

I was a Roy Morgan interviewee a few years back. Used to get a $10 Coles voucher for my thoughts. Paid for a tray of lamb chops. Depending on the survey it was very detailed and time consuming. I think I was in the Consumer Team; do I eat this, wat do you think of the package, do you eat out? Do you like a Twister or 3 piece feed? After a big night out? Kind of questions
$10 for a tray of lamb chops, so decades ago then....

Twister of course. But must end up in one's lap.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

There is an opportunity for those that have been made redundant and are good at their job to band together and set up something that resembles a decent outlet for football media.

Given how poor most of the media is there is room for it.

You could count genuine football journalists on one hand.

The rest are agenda driven puppets.

Worsfold was on the money when he had a crack at Lloyd, and Lloyd's actually one of the better ones.

They are opinion commentators, not journalists, and furthermore, the actual "journalists" seem to constantly obsessed with the politics of the sport and moralising.

@2:30

There is an opportunity for those that have been made redundant and are good at their job to band together and set up something that resembles a decent outlet for football media.

Given how poor most of the media is there is room for it.

They'd be drowned out by the dross and beaten into submission.

They wouldn't be selling anything so would struggle for the mighty advertising dollar.

They'd lack sufficient radical opinion to generate clicks.

But what they would be, is quality writers focused on the finer details of the sport.

Which sadly isn't enough.

RoCo has nailed this one.

I don't remember him ever writing anything remotely like this during all those years he was riding side saddle with Wilson, who was the original driving force for such crap.

She is the mother of this viral wowserism.

They'd be drowned out by the dross and beaten into submission.

They wouldn't be selling anything so would struggle for the mighty advertising dollar.

They'd lack sufficient radical opinion to generate clicks.

But what they would be, is quality writers focused on the finer details of the sport.

Which sadly isn't enough.
Not being dross is the point of difference. AFL associated media is all a joke.

If they built viewership advertising would come. They'd likely need investment capital to begin with. As most new ventures would.

Not being radical click bait is an advertisable quality. All footy no bullshit.

They would be quality writers focused on the finer details and that is the gap. Because very few outlets do that remotely well.

I don't remember him ever writing anything remotely like this during all those years he was riding side saddle with Wilson, who was the original driving force for such crap.

She is the mother of this viral wowserism.

People don't tend to s**t on the people who write their cheques.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back