Opinion Commentary & Media IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m talking about this year. The Saints have had the heat on them previously.

Yep, more agreeing about how fickle the media are

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Jake's article is ok - nothing in there that we should be too upset about (given what the rest of the media have been like).

The only relevant issue is around his firm view that certain coaches wont apply because of our 'vulnerable position' - however I suspect he is referring to Lyon in this regard and that doesn't phase me 1 bit.

There are 18 senior coaching positions in the AFL - there will be plenty of experienced and newer type coaches keen to be 1 of those 18.

Unlike the extension to Bard's last contract and Rhys's appt last year which both seemed overly rushed - this time we need to follow a full process - long list, short list and a full committee (including externals) to make the recommendation to to Board. Outline your game style, experience, why you want to coach North and how you plan to get us to Flag no. 5.

I can see why someone like Voss might not go for it (in a cushy position right now, stock is fairly high) but someone like Kingsley or Barker isn't going to turn down a senior gig. These guys have been assistants for 10+ years.

Jake's article is ok - nothing in there that we should be too upset about (given what the rest of the media have been like).

The only relevant issue is around his firm view that certain coaches wont apply because of our 'vulnerable position' - however I suspect he is referring to Lyon in this regard and that doesn't phase me 1 bit.

There are 18 senior coaching positions in the AFL - there will be plenty of experienced and newer type coaches keen to be 1 of those 18.

Unlike the extension to Bard's last contract and Rhys's appt last year which both seemed overly rushed - this time we need to follow a full process - long list, short list and a full committee (including externals) to make the recommendation to to Board. Outline your game style, experience, why you want to coach North and how you plan to get us to Flag no. 5.

I'm happy to be corrected but I'm pretty sure that Bard was virtually the only applicant besides some internals like Croc. I think I recall both Hardwick and Hinkley being asked to apply but they knocked us back?

I can see why someone like Voss might not go for it (in a cushy position right now, stock is fairly high) but someone like Kingsley or Barker isn't going to turn down a senior gig. These guys have been assistants for 10+ years.
I can see there being a lot of pressure on the club to appoint an ex-coach with a profile to the job, regardless of the fact that an experienced assistant may be the best person, with the narrative that is being put out at the moment - similar to Worsfold coming in at *. At least we have that failure to inform the decision.

GOOD!

PRIMA DONNAS NEED NOT APPLY!

Niall is one of the few people I would listen to, which makes me think there is probably something to the Archer stuff if he is referencing it.

I agree that he's usually one of the better ones, but what was the point of this article?

He took licence upon himself to introduce a cast of characters on behalf of the NMFC, and then went to pains to declare how none of his fictional coaching candidates would be interested. It is worse garbage than Barrett, who at least bases his crap on a sliver of the truth.

I'm happy to be corrected but I'm pretty sure that Bard was virtually the only applicant besides some internals like Croc. I think I recall both Hardwick and Hinkley being asked to apply but they knocked us back?
I was referring to his last extension - it went through very quickly and in hindsight that was a poor outcome for us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was referring to his last extension - it went through very quickly and in hindsight that was a poor outcome for us.

No probs, got that and agree.

I was sort of saying that we may not have a Melbourne Cup field of potential coaches to short list from, that's all.

All good :)

100% correct DB , winning buys you plenty of favour with the media ... there’s zero doubt about that .
Not so sure that applies when it comes to nm In the 70’s we bought the premierships and in the 90’s we were a one man team.

I can see there being a lot of pressure on the club to appoint an ex-coach with a profile to the job, regardless of the fact that an experienced assistant may be the best person, with the narrative that is being put out at the moment - similar to Worsfold coming in at *. At least we have that failure to inform the decision.
I think you’re right about the pressure but it wouldn’t surprise me at all if the club sticks to their guns and keep on coarse. At this point a change in philosophy would be the most worrying thing for me, for example if they hired an old head for a coach that changed coarse by deciding to keep brown. That for me would really signal panic and lack of a plan at higher levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back