Opinion Commentary & Media IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nobes is very comfortable on media street - he has been doing plenty of it in the past 2 weeks - almost daily.

I think he and all of us are done with the talk now - we need to see some games - we need to see what this is all starting to look like.

This clipping is from the February 18 issue of The Herald Sun Digital Edition. To subscribe, visit https://www.heraldsun.com.au/.

DAVID NOBLE ON …
Herald Sun - Thursday, 18 Feb 2021 - Page 67

COACHING AGAINST HIS MAGPIE SON JOHN

When I was sitting in the box as GM (Lions general manager of football), it was tough. There were three or four times where I was actually going ‘what’s he doing?’ His first quarter against Brisbane last year was outstanding. Coaching against him will be completely different. There will be no communication for two weeks (laughs).

JACK ZIEBELL’S HALF-BACK ROLE

I’ve seen the leadership capacity back through there and Jack has definitely got that. I think Jack’s skill-set may just suit us in what we want to do off half-back . The ability for players to be able to be challenged in continuing to evolve and get better is really important. He is fit and he has had a good break. Our high-performance guys have worked closely with him and he has some good miles in his legs.

INTERCHANGE DEBATE

I’m not overly fussed with interchange rotations. I think (the cut) will help us because we want to create some flexibility. We have some mids who can play forward and we have some mids who can go back. That flexibility, which is a bit through necessity and partly through development, means we could find players being able to play a couple of different roles per game.

SUMMER STARS

Nick Larkey is starting to work it out. He is training well and his understanding of what that looks like has been good. Kyron Hayden is another who is working out what the environment of AFL looks like, in terms of preparation, diet, recovery and those types of things. Cam Zurhaar is still only young. Then there’s Bailey Scott. He is starting to come through. He had some good games under his belt. He has a good tank and he is training hard.

JARED POLEC

I’ve probably bumped into him half a dozen times across the journey. My message to him is simple — we’ve got a game plan that we think will suit him. We need his body to be fit and he is a key player of our offence and defence.

Copyright © 2021 News Pty Limited

View attachment 1060218

Sent from my iPad

I rekn Hayden & Scott were two that have potentially surprised him coming in from the outside. The fact he's singled them out with all the hype around the "higher rated juniors" (LDU, Simpkin, TT, Stephenson, Phillips) is interesting.

I rekn Hayden & Scott were two that have potentially surprised him coming in from the outside. The fact he's singled them out with all the hype around the "higher rated juniors" (LDU, Simpkin, TT, Stephenson, Phillips) is interesting.
Hard not to be impressed. Scott has been a standout in the match practice I've seen. Clearly Noble sees him everyday. Slips between wing, hb and hf seamlessly.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

AFL 2021: North Melbourne coach David Noble opens up about the challenge ahead David Noble faces a mammoth task reviving the Kangaroos, but the rookie coach has one rule he hopes will kick start the rebuild. Glenn McFarlane 6 min read February 17, 2021

New North Melbourne David Noble has implemented a hard-and-fast rule at Arden Street he hopes might ultimately fast-track the Kangaroos’ long-term revival.

A day off is a day off. Having built a reputation as one of the AFL’s hardest working individuals, the 53-year-old is no stranger to rolling his sleeves up and working long hours.

But he believes a strict adherence to this rule – for players, the coaching staff and indeed himself – might provide the best work-life balance to ensure they get the best out of each other.

It might even help fast-track the Kangaroos as the club looks for a fresh start after experiencing an extraordinarily tough 2020 season. “I’m big on that ...a day off is a day of,” Noble told the Herald Sun.

“That balance and wellbeing in your life is very important. “You need some down time. We are very strong on that.”

Finding the right work-life balance has been a vexed question for AFL coaches and players in recent seasons, but was even more heightened by last year’s hub experiences. The all-encompassing nature of the game inside the hub impacted on Noble’s predecessor, Rhyce Shaw, and it played a part in his decision to leave the role late last year.

A number of senior and assistant coaches have experienced burnout, prompting warnings from outgoing AFL Coaches Association chief executive Mark Brayshaw, who fears the recent departure of around 60 AFL assistant coaches, due to football departure cuts, could put even more strain on those left in the roles. Noble’s previous administrative roles – most recently as Brisbane Lions general manager of football – have provided him with a unique management perspective and he intends to put that to good use now.

“We understand the balance that is required, especially with us being an older group of coaches,” he said.

Noble agreed to take on the job late last year knowing that his family life would be impacted.

His wife, Sarah, initially won’t be joining him in Melbourne. She will remain on the family’s six-acre property at Tamborine, about 50km from Brisbane, where his father, John, also lives.

It won’t be easy, as he is so closely connected to his family.

He is about to become a grandfather for the first time in April, with his daughter Jessica and her partner Dean, expecting their first child in April. His sons, Collingwood defender John Noble, and Mark, who had been set to play for Werribee in the VFL before the pandemic hit last year, are living in Melbourne.

“Sarah has been enormously supportive of me; she has been a rock to our family,” Noble said of his wife. “When this opportunity popped up, she was very bullish that I should do it. She will stay up there on the property initially because my dad is on the property. “Dad was a bit of legend (as a footballer) in Tassie. He played in the old carnivals in the ’60s and won a Lefroy Medal as the best player in the carnival. “We lost (his) mum (Pat) two years ago in December.”

Three months into the role he undertook after some prompting from Paul Roos – who will join him in the coaches’ box in 2021 – Noble couldn’t be more pleased with what has transpired and the plans he and the club have put in place.

It’s a position he has been preparing most of his life for. “If you had looked at my overall journey a big chunk of it early was coaching. But even in the way I managed (in other roles), I was still probably coaching staff to try and improve them,” he explained.

He feels grateful to have a broad experience in the staff alongside him as he prepares to coach his first game of AFL. He will keep a close eye on the assistant coaches’ individual workloads, but also is happy for them to monitor his as well. The additions include his one-time Fitzroy teammate John Blakey, Heath Younie, Jordan Russell and Anthony Rocca as well head of development Gavin Brown, Leigh Adams and Brent Harvey, who remain from last season.

“They’ve been fantastic,” he said. Noble’s decision to accept the Kangaroos’ coaching role came after a family meeting to discuss the pros and cons. It prompted a unanimous response. They all wanted him to chase his AFL dreams.

Noble after signing with the Crows at the end of 2004 as an assistant coach. Noble after signing with the Crows at the end of 2004 as an assistant coach.

“We made the decision as a family,” he said. “We checked with the kids and spoke to them and got an understanding of what it was all going to look like. Sarah and I spent a bit of time debating how it would work and then we spoke to my dad before making the decision.”

Noble returned home recently when the Kangaroos had a four-day break, but is constant communication with them. He said ongoing threats of border closures due to the pandemic were a concern, but he and his family will meet those challenges when they arise.

“Yeah, you worry about the cycle all the time,” he said. “There will be a week where all of a sudden there will be more cases and the borders are closed. But we will do what we have to do.” Noble’s other interests outside of football and his family, and the things that will keep him fresh away from coaching, include playing tennis and bike riding.
His other indulgence is a passion for vintage cars, although his 1965 Mustang sadly remains in Queensland. He said one of the key reasons why he couldn’t say no to the Kangaroos’ coaching role was the alignment he felt between the club’s values and his own values. “I have always felt that clubs and coaches need to fit and I just felt for the right reasons this club fitted me,” he said.

“I thought of (North Melbourne) as genuine, honest, loyal, trustworthy ... it felt like there was a good synergy.

“(The coaching panel) asked: ‘What is it about us (that excites you)?’. I said: ‘I love the authenticity, I love the history, I love the understatedness, I can’t wait to roll our sleeves up and get the job done’.”

Chris Fagan’s success at Brisbane in his first stint in an AFL senior coaching position after a lifetime of experiences may have assisted his own cause, but Noble said the coaching flame was never close to being extinguished in his own mind.

“I think with what Chris has done, does it open the door a bit more? Yeah probably,” he said. “(But) I think as an ambitious and driven person, I would still (have been interested) if that opportunity had come up.”

Somehow the union just seemed right.

Already the connections he has made with those within the club, and from supporters and past greats of the Kangaroos, have only strengthened his belief that his decision was the right one. He has so far preached patience about whether the Kangaroos — who have a vastly different list now and an investment in youth to rebuild the club’s fortunes — and won’t cut corners or sacrifice the process in order to get the right outcome.

“For our fans, I think they need to be aware we are chasing success, but what that looks like this year, we are not sure,” he said. “I am a hard one on process. Let’s get the process right first.

“We want our fans to see that we are reliable, and that we are good for what we say we will do. We want the fans to be a part of the journey going forward.”

One particular message of support struck an emotional chord with him. Glenorchy playing-coach Peter Hudson holding the 1975 premiership cup with Glenorchy captain Darryl Sutton.

It came from the widow of Kangaroos premiership player Darryl Sutton, who passed away aged only 64 in 2017. “It was very special from Kath and that meant a lot to me,” he said.

“I played under Darryl (at North Hobart in 1985); he actually gave me my debut. He was full forward and I was forward pocket and I was pretty much standing in the forward pocket.

That was my role. “I trained through the pre-season and I was still at school doing my matric(ulation). He spoke to my dad and said ‘yeah he is ready’.

“So the journey continues, and I walk in here (at Arden St) and I see his picture in the foyer (as part of the 1977 premiership side).

“It means a lot and it shows just what this football club means to a lot of people.”

My fav line: ‘We want our fans to see that we are reliable, and that we are good for what we say we will do’.

Definitely one of the most annoying aspects of our team of late imo. Far too much talk and not enough action. Hopefully that’s about to change under Noble.

My fav line: ‘We want our fans to see that we are reliable, and that we are good for what we say we will do’.

Definitely one of the most annoying aspects of our team of late imo. Far too much talk and not enough action. Hopefully that’s about to change under Noble.

The day I see us head into a group of matches or a season with expectation and at the least turn up for the fight will be the day something has changed.

It was an incessant pattern over the Scott then Shaw era to surprise when underrated then collapse when rated.

There are clips in 2018 where the media started proclaiming us as premiership hopefuls - oh how we showed them.

The day I see us head into a group of matches or a season with expectation and at the least turn up for the fight will be the day something has changed.

It was an incessant pattern over the Scott then Shaw era to surprise when underrated then collapse when rated.

There are clips in 2018 where the media started proclaiming us as premiership hopefuls - oh how we showed them.

Media got excited last year after we beat the Saints and GWS and said that. "the Real Deal" type crap

Hard not to be impressed. Scott has been a standout in the match practice I've seen. Clearly Noble sees him everyday. Slips between wing, hb and hf seamlessly.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
He's a real road runner.... will blow up opponents with his monster tank.....

Carey was even pumping us up in The Age, saying we could make the granny. Oh Wayne!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I typically quite enjoy the player features like those. The AFLW ones don't interest me, I don't follow the sport at all, but them making features like that is a complete non issue as far as I'm concerned.

Ultimately, regardless of whether it's a player/coach from the men's team or the women's team, it's not like we're talking about dozens of manhours or particularly large sums of money go into making the videos.

This clipping is from the February 25 issue of The Herald Sun Digital Edition. To subscribe, visit https://www.heraldsun.com.au/.

NOBLE’S VIEW ON NEW ROOS
Herald Sun - Thursday, 25 Feb 2021 - Page 66

North revival occurring at pace

NORTH Melbourne coach David Noble has placed no limits on what his batch of new Kangaroos can achieve in their debut seasons, saying the club’s development program will give them the best chance of carving out AFL careers.

The Kangaroos made the most savage cuts of any club at the end of last season, which means some of their young talent will be fasttracked this year.

The delistings happened before Noble was appointed coach, but he has been buoyed by the manner in which North Melbourne attacked last year’s national draft, along with the free agency acquisition of former Giant Aidan Corr as well as three trades including the recruitment of former Magpie Jaidyn Stephenson.

The club’s acquisition of speed in the off-season excites Noble as he looks to kickstart his AFL coaching career against Port Adelaide at Marvel Stadium on March

“We’ve got 26 players under 22,” Noble told the Herald Sun.

“We know we need to keep growing through the draft in the next couple of years, but (this) group will come through collectively, and that’s exciting.

“Our fans need to be aware that we are ultimately chasing success. Hopefully the fans can just pick a player and watch him grow.”

Noble’s plan to get an early look at the Kangaroos’ young talent could be a bonus for KFC SuperCoach players, with draftees Will Phillips and Tom Powell impressing early, along with small forward Phoenix Spicer.

THE NEW ROOS

THE DRAFTEES

WILL PHILLIPS

18, Midfielder, Oakleigh Chargers Pick 3, national draft

SuperCoach price:

$198,300 (Mid)

“HE is a very well-rounded midfielder who is eager to learn. He holds his feet well, he is very clean and has a good knowledge around offence and defence.

“I think he has got really nice balance. He is wearing the No. 29 (made famous by

AFL games record holder and development coach Brent Harvey).

We actually give Boomer (Harvey) a bit of a razz and say he might even end up in the back end (backline) at times this year.”

TOM POWELL

18, Midfielder, Sturt Pick 13, national draft

SuperCoach price:

$153,300 (Mid)

“TOM is going really well at the moment. He is an accumulator by nature (averaged 35 disposals in the South Australian under-18 s) because he reads the ball so well.

“We have been impressed with his diligence around the club and he has fitted in really, really well.”

CHARLIE LAZZARO

18, Midfielder, Geelong Falcons Pick 36, national draft

SuperCoach price:

$117,300 (Mid)

“CHARLIE has just got energy, vibe and zest and he brings a level of excitement to the group.

“He’s just got general energy and sharpness with his movement and I think that’s really going to be something that’s going to help the group.”

The young Roo has “Chris Judd-like” attributes.

PHOENIX SPICER

19, Forward, South Adelaide Pick 42, national draft

SuperCoach price:

$117,300 (Mid/Fwd)

“OH, boy, he‘s exciting to watch.

“He gets up to top end speed really quickly and he has already run around a few of our defenders.

“We have had Kyron Hayden playing on him a few times and he (Spicer) has been able to put some real speed on, so they were interesting battles.”

EDWARD FORD

18, Forward/Midfield, Western Jets Pick 56, national draft

SuperCoach price:

$117,300 (Fwd)

“ED has got some real forward craft. He has a natural level of competitiveness and he is a terrific size (188cm) as well.”

PATRICK WALKER

18, Wing/Half-back , North Hobart Pick 2, rookie draft

SuperCoach price:

$102,400 (Def)

“I ACTUALLY played with his father (Warren) in a premiership in Tasmania (for North Hobart).

“I said to Paddy when I rang him, ‘Has your dad made any mention of that?’ and he said, ‘Yes, he mentioned you played together’ .

“Paddy reads the game well. I am really pleased with the way he has settled in.

“He is a hard runner and has a big tank. He has good skills and he plays in one of those running spots (wing or half-back ).”

CONNOR MENADUE

24, Wing/Midfielder, Werribee Pick 18, rookie draft

SuperCoach price:

$201,500 (Def)

“HE comes with previous experience (39 games for Richmond) so he has got an understanding and he knows what the environment is all about.

“He has settled in really well and we see him playing across half-back or the wing.”

FREE AGENCY/ TRADED PLAYERS

AIDAN CORR

26, defender, Greater Western Sydney Restricted free agent

SuperCoach price:

$381,100 (Def)

“HIS size, his shape, his ability to play variance of (defensive) roles really excites us.

“He can play as your interceptor, he can take your medium talls and he can pinch-hit on a tall if you need him too, just to cover off.

“He might have flown under the radar a bit (at GWS), and perhaps didn’t get the recognition he could have.

“But we think he is going to be a good player for us.”

JAIDYN STEPHENSON

22, Midfielder/forward, Traded from Collingwood SuperCoach price: $354,100 (Fwd)

ATU BOSENAVULAGI

20, Forward/Midfielder, Traded from Collingwood SuperCoach price: $175,500 (Fwd)

LACHIE YOUNG

21, Defender/Midfielder, Traded from Western Bulldogs SuperCoach: $202,000 (Def/Mid)

“THE club was looked to add some speed even before I got there.

“I’m excited by what they have done in adding some speed to the group where we have seen Atu (Bosenavulagi) and Stevo (Jaidyn Stephenson) coming in, and we’ve also seen Lachie Young come into the club as well. ”

glenn.mcfarlane@news.com.au

1614198898218.png

Sent from my iPad

This clipping is from the February 25 issue of The Herald Sun Digital Edition. To subscribe, visit https://www.heraldsun.com.au/.

NOBLE’S VIEW ON NEW ROOS
Herald Sun - Thursday, 25 Feb 2021 - Page 66

North revival occurring at pace

NORTH Melbourne coach David Noble has placed no limits on what his batch of new Kangaroos can achieve in their debut seasons, saying the club’s development program will give them the best chance of carving out AFL careers.

The Kangaroos made the most savage cuts of any club at the end of last season, which means some of their young talent will be fasttracked this year.

The delistings happened before Noble was appointed coach, but he has been buoyed by the manner in which North Melbourne attacked last year’s national draft, along with the free agency acquisition of former Giant Aidan Corr as well as three trades including the recruitment of former Magpie Jaidyn Stephenson.

The club’s acquisition of speed in the off-season excites Noble as he looks to kickstart his AFL coaching career against Port Adelaide at Marvel Stadium on March

“We’ve got 26 players under 22,” Noble told the Herald Sun.

“We know we need to keep growing through the draft in the next couple of years, but (this) group will come through collectively, and that’s exciting.

“Our fans need to be aware that we are ultimately chasing success. Hopefully the fans can just pick a player and watch him grow.”

Noble’s plan to get an early look at the Kangaroos’ young talent could be a bonus for KFC SuperCoach players, with draftees Will Phillips and Tom Powell impressing early, along with small forward Phoenix Spicer.

THE NEW ROOS

THE DRAFTEES

WILL PHILLIPS

18, Midfielder, Oakleigh Chargers Pick 3, national draft

SuperCoach price:

$198,300 (Mid)

“HE is a very well-rounded midfielder who is eager to learn. He holds his feet well, he is very clean and has a good knowledge around offence and defence.

“I think he has got really nice balance. He is wearing the No. 29 (made famous by

AFL games record holder and development coach Brent Harvey).

We actually give Boomer (Harvey) a bit of a razz and say he might even end up in the back end (backline) at times this year.”

TOM POWELL

18, Midfielder, Sturt Pick 13, national draft

SuperCoach price:

$153,300 (Mid)

“TOM is going really well at the moment. He is an accumulator by nature (averaged 35 disposals in the South Australian under-18 s) because he reads the ball so well.

“We have been impressed with his diligence around the club and he has fitted in really, really well.”

CHARLIE LAZZARO

18, Midfielder, Geelong Falcons Pick 36, national draft

SuperCoach price:

$117,300 (Mid)

“CHARLIE has just got energy, vibe and zest and he brings a level of excitement to the group.

“He’s just got general energy and sharpness with his movement and I think that’s really going to be something that’s going to help the group.”

The young Roo has “Chris Judd-like” attributes.

PHOENIX SPICER

19, Forward, South Adelaide Pick 42, national draft

SuperCoach price:

$117,300 (Mid/Fwd)

“OH, boy, he‘s exciting to watch.

“He gets up to top end speed really quickly and he has already run around a few of our defenders.

“We have had Kyron Hayden playing on him a few times and he (Spicer) has been able to put some real speed on, so they were interesting battles.”

EDWARD FORD

18, Forward/Midfield, Western Jets Pick 56, national draft

SuperCoach price:

$117,300 (Fwd)

“ED has got some real forward craft. He has a natural level of competitiveness and he is a terrific size (188cm) as well.”

PATRICK WALKER

18, Wing/Half-back , North Hobart Pick 2, rookie draft

SuperCoach price:

$102,400 (Def)

“I ACTUALLY played with his father (Warren) in a premiership in Tasmania (for North Hobart).

“I said to Paddy when I rang him, ‘Has your dad made any mention of that?’ and he said, ‘Yes, he mentioned you played together’ .

“Paddy reads the game well. I am really pleased with the way he has settled in.

“He is a hard runner and has a big tank. He has good skills and he plays in one of those running spots (wing or half-back ).”

CONNOR MENADUE

24, Wing/Midfielder, Werribee Pick 18, rookie draft

SuperCoach price:

$201,500 (Def)

“HE comes with previous experience (39 games for Richmond) so he has got an understanding and he knows what the environment is all about.

“He has settled in really well and we see him playing across half-back or the wing.”

FREE AGENCY/ TRADED PLAYERS

AIDAN CORR

26, defender, Greater Western Sydney Restricted free agent

SuperCoach price:

$381,100 (Def)

“HIS size, his shape, his ability to play variance of (defensive) roles really excites us.

“He can play as your interceptor, he can take your medium talls and he can pinch-hit on a tall if you need him too, just to cover off.

“He might have flown under the radar a bit (at GWS), and perhaps didn’t get the recognition he could have.

“But we think he is going to be a good player for us.”

JAIDYN STEPHENSON

22, Midfielder/forward, Traded from Collingwood SuperCoach price: $354,100 (Fwd)

ATU BOSENAVULAGI

20, Forward/Midfielder, Traded from Collingwood SuperCoach price: $175,500 (Fwd)

LACHIE YOUNG

21, Defender/Midfielder, Traded from Western Bulldogs SuperCoach: $202,000 (Def/Mid)

“THE club was looked to add some speed even before I got there.

“I’m excited by what they have done in adding some speed to the group where we have seen Atu (Bosenavulagi) and Stevo (Jaidyn Stephenson) coming in, and we’ve also seen Lachie Young come into the club as well. ”

glenn.mcfarlane@news.com.au

View attachment 1064645

Sent from my iPad

"Chris-Judd-Like"

The f***?

My knowledge of Roos is a genuine suburbs Champion
Lineage is East Burwood then the Roys
Played for the Big V and played well

Archer has been running our show hasn’t he and how has that worked out?
We need smart people, Roos is
I don't think he ever played for the Rams, he was a Beverley Hills junior.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back