Opinion Commentary & Media V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s three tables with one of each at a table. Jake stringer, Devon Smith and kale hooker.
You have to sit at one of the tables and have a beer 🍺
Which table do you choose?
Kale Hooker.

Skull the beer and glass the campaigner for Daniel Nielson.

Worth the read since it has some great observations about us, but has the added bonus of basically calling Jordan Lewis stupid!
Lewis also offered a suggestion that cunnington needs to step back from the man on the mark for his kicks. Seemed odd that Lewis couldn’t identify that a club’s best mid must have a reason for not following conventional ‘rules’ i.e. he’s really good at kicking off one step and the stand rule enhances that advantage.

So Archer has an article in the HS tomorrow takes a swipe at a few in the media. Should be interesting.
He was slammed hard by several media folk, not just the regular haters. Will be interesting what he says in the article.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lewis also offered a suggestion that cunnington needs to step back from the man on the mark for his kicks. Seemed odd that Lewis couldn’t identify that a club’s best mid must have a reason for not following conventional ‘rules’ i.e. he’s really good at kicking off one step and the stand rule enhances that advantage.

Jordan Lewis should type up this advice, put it in an envelope, stick a stamp on it and mail it to last year as it's no longer relevant in the least.

Anyone got a paywall free link to the Archer article berating caro and Barret as the reason he quit the board.

On Pixel 4 using BigFooty.com mobile app
Glenn Archer says he left North Melbourne board in 2021 because of negative media

Glenn Archer is the one of the first names associated with North Melbourne. But the Shinboner of the Century says he could no longer serve on the club’s board.

Sam McInerney

July 21, 2021
News Corp Australia

Former Kangaroos hardman Glenn Archer has opened up about his decision to step down from North Melbourne’s board earlier this month, revealing negative media coverage had taken a toll on him and his family.
Speaking on the TAB Inside 50 Podcast with Crawf and Quinny on Tuesday, the 311-game Kangaroos champion said he would continue to support the club in an unofficial capacity wherever possible, but the “domino effect” of criticism making its way to his children meant his official position as a club director was no longer worth the effort.
“I’m always going to be there for the club, absolutely,” Archer said.

“If they ring me tomorrow, I’m helping. But I don’t need the board position. The club’s in good shape, and I don’t have to deal with idiots like that writing stuff about (me).”

Glenn Archer has explained why he quit the North Melbourne board.

Glenn Archer has explained why he quit the North Melbourne board.

The Shinboner of the Century said while he had avoided reading papers and watching the news for years, he was always aware of criticism over his influence at North Melbourne.
“My mates get a kick out of sending the articles on WhatsApp … it’s generally a Caroline Wilson or a Damian Barrett having a crack at me about something. That’s how I get my information,” Archer said.
“I’ve bitten back once at Damian and once at Caro, but it’s just a waste of time.
“You just give them more ammunition. You whack them, they just come back twice as hard again, with things that are 100 per cent wrong.”

“As you can probably tell, them two (sic) aren’t on my Christmas card list.

“It’s extraordinary being on a football club board. Once you become privy to all the information - so you know exactly what the information is, you know exactly what you’re doing, you know exactly where you’re going - I just find it extraordinary how wrong the media gets it.
“It’s a horrible existence, I reckon, when you’re at that sort of level of journalism. They’re just trying to put people down, ruin people’s lives, make sure they lose their job, make sure someone gets the sack, cause complete friction around clubs and individuals. Why would you want to do that? I don’t get it … You could not pay me enough to do something like that.”
Archer revealed he had considered taking journalists to court, but said he hasn’t “got four years to piss-fart around with lawyers”.
Glenn Archer’s son Jackson is showing promise for the Northern Knights in the NAB League. He would qualify as a father-son Kangaroos prospect. Picture: Michael Klein

Glenn Archer’s son Jackson is showing promise for the Northern Knights in the NAB League. He would qualify as a father-son Kangaroos prospect. Picture: Michael Klein

“They know that you’re not going to sue for defamation because it’s too hard. It’s a three-four year process. I’ve had a couple of things where I know that it’s just untrue and I can prove it.”
Archer said he was looking forward to supporting North Melbourne without being at the centre of criticism.

“It has a domino effect, because your kids read it. They’re into social media - they’re a little bit older - and then you’ve got to answer their questions. ‘Why are they saying that about you?’
“It’s good to just sit in the background and do your bit, and you don’t have to put up with idiots writing stuff about you.”

The Tackle: Jon Ralph’s AFL likes and dislikes from Round 19
Isaac Heeney and Cody Weightman gave us a glimpse of what makes our game great and then Lance Franklin lowered the flag with a reckless act. Jon Ralph’s likes and dislikes.
2 ROOS WEREN’T LARKING ABOUT

Those who don’t understand list management said the Roos would struggle to field a team when a day after the 2020 season they delisted 11 players. How could they replace them?

Well, how about the likes of Nick Larkey, Tarryn Thomas, Luke Davies-Uniacke, Jy Simpkin and Cam Zurhaar?

Larkey’s seven goals against Carlton took him to an astonishingly accurate 34.11 for the season. He was taken at pick 73 in the 2016 national draft, proving yet again there are diamonds to be mined late in drafts.

Players taken beyond 50 in 2016 include Elliott Himmelberg (pick 51), Josh Daicos (57, father-son), Quinton Narkle (60), Tom Williamson (61), Luke Ryan (66), Larkey (73), Harry Morrison (74) and Mitch Lewis (76).

7 THE GOOD BOAK FACTOR

Chris Judd once said the greatest lesson for kids was to own their own preparation away from the football club.

This week’s 300-gamer Travis Boak at Port Adelaide and fellow veteran Todd Goldstein, 33 this month, at North own that attitude. Both may have played their best football post-30.

Boak spends his off-seasons (Covid dependent) overseas honing body and mind, and Goldstein forgoing fancy holidays to work in the gym.

The message for young players? Get your footy trip out of the way, then set about improving your career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back