Opinion Commentary & Media V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I shared a flat with a mate in Sth Yarra for a while. We saw Lou one day, double parked on Toorak Road (I think it was a Rolls but my memory is fading). Even saw Jack Dyer in Chapel St once.
Definitely a Rolls. I used to live around the corner from him and he drove one of those massive old-school Rollers. He could hardly see over the steering wheel.

Definitely a Rolls. I used to live around the corner from him and he drove one of those massive old-school Rollers. He could hardly see over the steering wheel.

No wonder he couldn't park it.

My mate and I occasionally would play pedestrian light games outside the old SY Post Office. One one either side of the road, taking turns to press the button then gaining points for the cars we stopped. Obviously Rolllers were 10, Mercs were 9 etc. etc.

*in' childish little bastards we were.

It was fun, and the guy in the Famous Amos used to occasionally keep score and give a few broken biscuits to the winner.

BT is an idiot because he doesn't even understand the rules, or stats, and dismisses legitimate analysis and responses because he doesn't like the answer, stops play by play to go on a rant.
No that complicated, he’s just really, really dumb.

"Each club is handling the current situation differently. Brisbane has every assistant coach out of contract but GWS, Melbourne, the Western Bulldogs and North Melbourne have all theirs locked in until the end of 2022. West Coast is somewhere in between."

+1 on Lou Richards.

Was a cheeky green North supporter heading to my MCG reserved seat (back when North supporters got one) and got into a lift with Lou and Edna.

Lovely people, Edna in particular had a chat with me about how well North were going (95) before the game.

Nice to see that poor media coverage isn't just in the AFL.

I follow the Colorado Avalanche in the NHL, and yesterday there were articles such as "Landeskog and Avs heading toward nasty break up" and the like.

Today: "Landeskog signs new 8 year deal with the Avs"

BT is an idiot because he doesn't even understand the rules, or stats, and dismisses legitimate analysis and responses because he doesn't like the answer, stops play by play to go on a rant.

Nice to see that poor media coverage isn't just in the AFL.

I follow the Colorado Avalanche in the NHL, and yesterday there were articles such as "Landeskog and Avs heading toward nasty break up" and the like.

Today: "Landeskog signs new 8 year deal with the Avs"

Just today, we were discussing how good Ian Thorpe is as a commentator on Seven's Olympic coverage. His expertise is beyond doubt (obviously) but his ability to communicate, his razor-sharp insight when it comes to tactics, racecraft, skills and technique, and his respect for and knowledge about all of the competitors would be very welcome in the AFL system.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just today, we were discussing how good Ian Thorpe is as a commentator on Seven's Olympic coverage. His expertise is beyond doubt (obviously) but his ability to communicate, his razor-sharp insight when it comes to tactics, racecraft, skills and technique, and his respect for and knowledge about all of the competitors would be very welcome in the AFL system.
Which really flies in the face of the majority of ex players being just SO bad at commentary in the AFL.

Which really flies in the face of the majority of ex players being just SO bad at commentary in the AFL.
Yeah, I've been thinking the same thing. Andrew Gaze and Bogut seem to strike a good balance in the basketball between insight and blokey banter. Anna Meares was good at the cycling (for the little bit I saw). As above Thorpe is good, Leisl Jones less so but still passable.
Then go back to Darcy in the studio to remind us we've really been dudded with football commentary.

Yeah, I've been thinking the same thing. Andrew Gaze and Bogut seem to strike a good balance in the basketball between insight and blokey banter. Anna Meares was good at the cycling (for the little bit I saw). As above Thorpe is good, Leisl Jones less so but still passable.
Then go back to Darcy in the studio to remind us we've really been dudded with football commentary.
Bogut is a * supporting Luddite.

He fails the good bloke test.

...and then there's Basil Zempalis. The Lord Mayor of Perth, sitting in a studio in Melbourne (er, day job?), trying his utmost for the iconic commentary moment but sounding like the try hard, over-promoted ******* he really is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back