Opinion Commentary & Media V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure how accurate my memory of these years are, but I can barely remember Greig losing a one-on-one contest. There were countless times when he'd simply leap over an opponent to take the mark.
Superb footballer. One of the greats.

lockheed

Club Legend
Oct 22, 2005
Night Vale
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
North Melbourne
The stats don’t lie. Our ladder positions:-

1996 - 2nd - Flag
1997 - 7th - Well beaten in PF
1998 - 1st - Blew the Flag
1999 - 2nd - Flag

No prizes for guessing which year Carey was out of action for an extended time…

Categorically, No Carey -> No Flag.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
In the '97 PF, three Saints players gangtackled Corey into the ground, during the first quarter. Corey's shoulder was badly injured in that incident, and just like that, our chances for a flag in '97 were gone.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2008
The North of Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The stats don’t lie. Our ladder positions:-

1996 - 2nd - Flag
1997 - 7th - Well beaten in PF
1998 - 1st - Blew the Flag
1999 - 2nd - Flag

No prizes for guessing which year Carey was out of action for an extended time…

Categorically, No Carey -> No Flag.

This has always been a really weird discussion point to me. It would be hard to name a single premiership team that would still have won the flag if you remove their best player, and also assume that the cap space/draft capital/time spent developing that player evaporates rather than being reallocated, and specific to Carey, assuming the money paid to Sydney for him goes to nothing instead. North wouldn't have won flags without the best player ever to play the game? Yeah, probably not. Would Richmond have won any of their 3 flags without Dustin Martin? Would Hawthorn have won them without Luke Hodge or Sam Mitchell? Keep in mind not just the result of the grand final but the entire season(s) spent without those players.

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
In the '97 PF, three Saints players gangtackled Corey in the first quarter. Corey's shoulder was badly injured in that incident, and just like that, our chances for a flag in '97 were gone.
Was just our luck some ******* no name campaigner kicks a massive bag against us in the pre lim against the Aints. Jason Heately still pisses me off to this day. He was nailing em from everywhere too.. Jason you can GAGF

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
In the '97 PF, three Saints players gangtackled Corey in the first quarter. Corey's shoulder was badly injured in that incident, and just like that, our chances for a flag in '97 were gone.
I was 10m away and will never forget two things

One the look of pain on his face. Like he had his arm shot off.

Two, all the flogs who stood up and cheered

Awful night. One of the worst. And then don’t get me started on Danitilchenko

(Log in to remove this ad.)

RossHenshaw

Club Legend
Sep 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Good write up by the MP.

100% agree on the LDU take.

Probably one of the best well researched & opinionated written articles about our footy team’s current status I’ve read in a very long time .

Oct 12, 2008
The North of Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne

marklovesbeer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 8, 2010
South Adelaide
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
South Adelaide Panthers
Not sure when this article was posted and there are some errors, but I found it an interesting read.

Nth Melbourne Kangaroos

Apologies if it has been posted here before.

“Nth Melbourne's Grand Final victories in 96 and 1999 have both came against opponents that had defeated Essendon by a point in the preliminary final. For a while, Essendon saw defeating Nth as the flags they should have had.”

In all these years, I never actually noticed that fact.

Aug 16, 2009
North Caulfield
AFL Club
North Melbourne
“Nth Melbourne's Grand Final victories in 96 and 1999 have both came against opponents that had defeated Essendon by a point in the preliminary final. For a while, Essendon saw defeating Nth as the flags they should have had.”

In all these years, I never actually noticed that fact.
Yeah but “* don’t have a rivalry with North Melbourne“. 😂

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back