Opinion Commentary & Media V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting comments from Matthew Lloyd about Clarko here:

“Any club who takes on ‘Clarko’ (Clarkson) has to be careful of what you’re going to lose with the soft cap. How many coaches you lose when you appoint Alastair Clarkson.

“I’d appoint Clarkson if I feel you’re going to be a top four side relatively quickly or straight away.

“I heard a comment Craig McRae made. He said, ‘When I coached with Clarkson at Hawthorn, I did a lot of work because we didn’t have many coaches. I go to Collingwood; I’ve got that many coaches because of the wage I’m on as the senior coach’.

“That’s what every club has to think about when they take him on, how much of the soft cap he’s going to take up with the wage he’d be on.”
Clubs including ours are pushing hard for the soft cap to be increased.
Sam Edmunds is going to do a story soon on it but the current limit isn’t high enough. Big clubs can pay the tax for luxuries but we’re struggling for the basic plus the payouts to Scott’s and Shaws.
We’d benefit greatly from an increase next year.

Sam Edmunds is going to do a story soon on it but the current limit isn’t high enough. Big clubs can pay the tax for luxuries but we’re struggling for the basic plus the payouts to Scott’s and Shaws.
Part of any assistance program should include some soft cap relief as well as at least one priority pick.

“I’m living in your shadow now”: Rising Star Blue addresses BT’s Durdin gaffe​

By Andrew Slevison 3 hours ago

Carlton’s Corey Durdin was mistaken for a former North Melbourne namesake last weekend.

As the Blues small forward was kicking goals and picking up disposals against the Giants, Channel 7 commentator Brian Taylor thought he was watching ex-Kangaroo Sam Durdin in action.

Taylor said on the broadcast: “Was he doing this stuff at North, Durdin? His turnaround has been amazing.”

The gaffe did not go unnoticed with many on social media calling BT out.

Durdin’s performance landed him the Rising Star nomination and before all the praise, the real topic was discussed on Sportsday.

Sam McClure said of Taylor: “He is one of the best commentators that the game has seen and one of the funniest blokes.

“When that happens you have to take it the right way and that is to laugh.

“Corey Durdin, who has been absolutely great for the Blues, is not Sam Durdin who used to play for North Melbourne, they’re different people.”

In response, the Blues youngster admits there is a family connection with Sam and says the two have been in contact in the wake of the on-air blunder.

“Yeah, we’re distant relatives somehow,” he said.

“We quite haven’t worked out how, but I’m pretty sure all Durdins are related.

“He messaged me after that game for the nomination and said, ‘Mate, I’m living in your shadow now’. I actually said as far as BT’s concerned we’re the same person.”

Durdin says he didn’t really side with a club when he was growing up on the outskirts of Adelaide, but coincidentally did have somewhat of a soft spot for the Roos.

“I wasn’t much of a footy head growing up so I actually didn’t really barrack for anyone,” he added.

“I went for North Melbourne here and there because my old man supported them and out of the two Adelaide teams I went for the Crows.

“Other than that I didn’t really follow any team.”

Last edited:

Carlton’s Corey Durdin was mistaken for a former North Melbourne namesake last weekend.

As the Blues small forward was kicking goals and picking up disposals against the Giants, Channel 7 commentator Brian Taylor thought he was watching ex-Kangaroo Sam Durdin in action.

Taylor said on the broadcast: “Was he doing this stuff at North, Durdin? His turnaround has been amazing.”

Durdin’s performance landed him the Rising Star nomination and before all the praise, the real topic was discussed on Sportsday.

Sam McClure said of Taylor: “He is one of the best commentators that the game has seen and one of the funniest blokes.

“Corey Durdin, who has been absolutely great for the Blues, is not Sam Durdin who used to play for North Melbourne, they’re different people.”

In response, the Blues youngster admits there is a family connection with Sam and says the two have been in contact in the wake of the on-air blunder.

“He messaged me after that game for the nomination and said, ‘Mate, I’m living in your shadow now’. I actually said as far as BT’s concerned we’re the same person.”

Durdin says he didn’t really side with a club when he was growing up on the outskirts of Adelaide, but coincidentally did have somewhat of a soft spot for the Roos.

“I wasn’t much of a footy head growing up so I actually didn’t really barrack for anyone,” he added.

“I went for North Melbourne here and there because my old man supported them and out of the two Adelaide teams I went for the Crows.

Nothing funnier than gross incompetence from the official Media partner of the AFL. Keep it up boys :thumbsu:

We are definitely not still paying Brad Scott and it is unclear whether Rhyce Shaw is being paid this year. His original contract was two years with a third based on performance clauses, which would have been very difficult for him to meet in 2020. He certainly won't be paid in next year's soft cap.

We are definitely not still paying Brad Scott and it is unclear whether Rhyce Shaw is being paid this year. His original contract was two years with a third based on performance clauses, which would have been very difficult for him to meet in 2020. He certainly won't be paid in next year's soft cap.
I never stated they were still being paid. I read somewhere on 4chans that the flow on effect that their payouts have had on the soft cap is a major reason why it’s maxed out.

Jade Rawlings, S&C staff?

Corey Durdin BFNAAK - worth a look?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Corey Durdin BFNAAK - worth a look?

I mentioned Durdin on here as a really good late small forward selection a few times. I coached against him a few years ago and he was in second gear through the midfield and dominated, and then looked really solid as a small forward at SANFL level. On the other hand, I didn't have Lazzaro in my top 50.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing though and the easiest thing in the world is to pontificate years down the track.

EDIT: I noticed searching my post history for 'Durdin' that I made a post writing off both Sam Durdin and Ben McKay mid-2020 :tearsofjoy:. Talk about s**t calls.

I mentioned Durdin on here as a really good late small forward selection a few times. I coached against him a few years ago and he was in second gear through the midfield and dominated, and then looked really solid as a small forward at SANFL level. On the other hand, I didn't have Lazzaro in my top 50.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing though and the easiest thing in the world is to pontificate years down the track.

EDIT: I noticed searching my post history for 'Durdin' that I made a post writing off both Sam Durdin and Ben McKay mid-2020 :tearsofjoy:. Talk about s**t calls.
No one gets 100% of anything right tho do they?

(Except Bill Fisher I guess.)

Out of interest, did any of his fellow commentators pick him up on it?

"Sam McClure said of Taylor: “He is one of the best commentators that the game has seen and one of the funniest blokes."

That's an even bigger gaffe than the original error.

Yeah no Kane:

"Simpson’s appointment would be well received by the long-suffering North Melbourne fans and would provide the new path to success they crave."

Kane Cornes: Why coaching merry-go-round should see Eagles call Ken Hinkley​

Headshot of [PLAYERCARD]Kane Cornes[/PLAYERCARD]

Kane Cornes
The West Australian
Thu, 19 May 2022

Port Adelaide mentor Ken Hinkley would be the perfect replacement for West Coast coach Adam Simpson, should the club part with him, according to Power legend [PLAYERCARD]Kane Cornes[/PLAYERCARD].

Port Adelaide mentor Ken Hinkley would be the perfect replacement for West Coast coach Adam Simpson, should the club part with him, according to Power legend Kane Cornes. Credit: Michael Willson/AFL Photos/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Leon Cameron falling on his sword as Greater Western Sydney coach last week was not the moment that made every AFL club president and chief executive twitch in anticipation of the merry-go-round spinning again after almost a decade of stability in AFL coaching ranks.
It was four-time premiership coach Alastair Clarkson’s return from the USA at the same time - and declaration he is looking for a job - that has many AFL clubs not wanting to miss out on the opportunity to at least interview the former Hawthorn boss.
Cameron’s domino tumbled, making his exit as Giants coach at the weekend with a loss to Carlton (that has proven the value of giving an experienced, sacked coach a second chance).

Now the other dominoes will fall by clubs considering pushing their coaches onto the plank and laying out the red carpet to Clarkson.

As many as six AFL clubs could change coaches at the end of the season (and even before).

And as Brisbane coach Chris Fagan, who should not fear the return of his former Hawthorn boss, said so well at Adelaide Oval the week: “(With Clarkson declaring he is wanting to coach) the pressure comes on everyone.”

That is every coach who is out of contract or out of favour ... and every club president who must deliver new hope to an impatient or frustrated supporter base.

Clarkson has put his cards on the table.

“To be honest, there are 18 clubs and hopefully 19 (with Tasmania’s entry in 2028) teams in the competition that I wouldn’t hesitate to coach, because I think every club, given the right personnel and the right playing group, has got the capability to win an AFL premiership,” he told Fox Footy last week.

Clarkson’s comments were fascinating considering those 18 include the club he left at the end of last season choosing to avoid a succession plan with Sam Mitchell.

Leon Cameron falling on his sword as Greater Western Sydney coach last week was not the moment that made every AFL club president and chief executive twitch in anticipation of the merry-go-round spinning again after almost a decade of stability in AFL coaching ranks.

It was four-time premiership coach Alastair Clarkson’s return from the USA at the same time - and declaration he is looking for a job - that has many AFL clubs not wanting to miss out on the opportunity to at least interview the former Hawthorn boss.

Cameron’s domino tumbled, making his exit as Giants coach at the weekend with a loss to Carlton (that has proven the value of giving an experienced, sacked coach a second chance).
Loyalty to the old firm a mistake Eagles’ coaches make
Now the other dominoes will fall by clubs considering pushing their coaches onto the plank and laying out the red carpet to Clarkson.

As many as six AFL clubs could change coaches at the end of the season (and even before).

And as Brisbane coach Chris Fagan, who should not fear the return of his former Hawthorn boss, said so well at Adelaide Oval the week: “(With Clarkson declaring he is wanting to coach) the pressure comes on everyone.”

That is every coach who is out of contract or out of favour ... and every club president who must deliver new hope to an impatient or frustrated supporter base.

“To be honest, there are 18 clubs and hopefully 19 (with Tasmania’s entry in 2028) teams in the competition that I wouldn’t hesitate to coach, because I think every club, given the right personnel and the right playing group, has got the capability to win an AFL premiership,” he told Fox Footy last week.

Clarkson’s comments were fascinating considering those 18 include the club he left at the end of last season choosing to avoid a succession plan with Sam Mitchell.

Alastair Clarkson and Sam Mitchell press conference announcing that Clarkson will step aside of the end of the 2021 season making way for Mitchell to take over.  29/07/2021.      .  Pic: Michael Klein

Hawthorn legend Alastair Clarkson is looming over the AFL’s coaching world. Credit: Michael Klein/News Corp Australia

So who is most nervous - or feeling the most pressure - of the current AFL coaches?

They are David Noble at Clarkson’s former club North Melbourne, Ben Rutten at the most disappointing Essendon, Port Adelaide mentor Ken Hinkley, West Coast premiership coach Adam Simpson and Gold Coast’s Stuart Dew. All of them would be feeling uneasy.

These five coaches are under the most pressure, but every turn of the merry-go-round runs the risk of another coach falling off the horse.

Brett Ratten remains unsigned at St Kilda. Despite the club’s recent good form, who could dismiss the Saints board asking Clarkson of his interest to join the club that has been waiting for its second flag for more than 50 years?

A similar strategy under Clarkson at the Eagles or Kangaroos would be catastrophic.

Clarkson’s most likely destination will be at the Gold Coast or GWS if these clubs do not succeed in poaching Scott.

St Kilda and the AFL world were blindsided back in 2011 when coach Ross Lyon sensationally quit the club to join Fremantle on a multi-year, multi-million contract.

Moves such as Hinkley to West Coast, Scott to GWS, Simpson to North Melbourne and Clarkson to St Kilda seem as far-fetched as Lyon joining Fremantle 10 years ago.

We were all shocked by that defection. We should not be surprised by any that are about to unfold across the next few months.

Despite recent reports of his signing a three-year contract extension at Geelong, 2011 premiership coach Chris Scott may be considering if the time has come for change - for both himself and a Geelong squad that he has been squeezed to the limit.

A move to western Sydney to take up the vacancy created by Cameron would be an ideal fit for both the club and Scott. He would become re-invigorated by the challenge on offer by a playing list that has more talent and youth than what he currently manages at Geelong.

Scott intrigued a few with his comments after the two clubs met in round seven. He chose to offer his thoughts on the GWS predicament and reminisced of his time at Brisbane. He declared his full understanding of what it’s like to be at a club in a challenging AFL market.

Was Scott sending a subtle message to the Giants’ management of his willingness to take up their fight?

After 10 years at the helm of Port Adelaide, change is on the cards for coach Ken Hinkley. If the club decides to deny him his contracted right to coach at Alberton next season, Hinkley would be the ideal fit for West Coast.

ADELAIDE, AUSTRALIA - JUNE 13: Ken Hinkley, Senior Coach of the Power after victory in the 2020 AFL Round 02 match between the Port Adelaide Power and the Adelaide Crows at Adelaide Oval on June 13, 2020 in Adelaide, Australia. (Photo by Matt Turner/AFL Photos)

Port Adelaide’s Ken Hinkley would be the ideal appointment for the struggling West Coast Eagles, according to Kane Cornes. Credit: Matt Turner/AFL Photos

Simpson must be questioning whether he is up for the huge task of repairing the damage that has been done both on and off the field at West Coast this season. He also has his home club, North Melbourne, needing a favourite son to come back to Arden Street as a saviour.

Hinkley has a proven track record at a club in crisis having taken over Port Adelaide at the end of 2012 when the club was a basket case with its AFL licence at risk. From five wins in 2012 to an elimination final win in 2013, Hinkley had an extraordinary start.

Hinkley instantly created an elite environment by being brutal on team discipline, training standards, preparation, diet and all-round professionalism – areas that have clearly been lacking at the Eagles for some time.

Hinkley prioritised youth at the selection table and favoured speed of ball movement with his entertaining game plan. Both of these issues need to be desperately addressed at West Coast.

Hinkley’s appointment to West Coast would open the door for Simpson to return to North Melbourne where he was captain and a premiership hero. Simpson ignored the homecoming overture at the end of 2020 when North Melbourne opted for Noble.

PERTH, AUSTRALIA - MAY 15: Adam Simpson, coach of the Eagles talks with [PLAYERCARD]Tom Barrass[/PLAYERCARD] and [PLAYERCARD]Liam Duggan[/PLAYERCARD] during the round nine AFL match between the West Coast Eagles and the Melbourne Demons at Optus Stadium on May 15, 2022 in Perth, Australia. (Photo by Paul Kane/Getty Images)

If West Coast and Adam Simpson were to part with each other, it could open the door for the North Melbourne legend to return to Arden Street. Credit: Paul Kane/Getty Images

The Kangaroos finished last in 2021 and currently sit 17th with its one win being against the last-placed Eagles. They have lost six games by 50 points or more this season and they have become a club without hope.

Simpson’s appointment would be well received by the long-suffering North Melbourne fans and would provide the new path to success they crave.

Clarkson is held in the highest regard, but that does not make him the perfect fit for every club. He is not suited to a club that is in need of a rebuild such as North Melbourne or West Coast.

His history at Hawthorn showed he had too much power over crucial list-management decisions which led to the club completely neglecting the draft.

Yeah no Kane:

"Simpson’s appointment would be well received by the long-suffering North Melbourne fans and would provide the new path to success they crave."

Kane Cornes: Why coaching merry-go-round should see Eagles call Ken Hinkley​

Headshot of Kane Cornes

Kane Cornes
The West Australian
Thu, 19 May 2022

Port Adelaide mentor Ken Hinkley would be the perfect replacement for West Coast coach Adam Simpson, should the club part with him, according to Power legend Kane Cornes.

Port Adelaide mentor Ken Hinkley would be the perfect replacement for West Coast coach Adam Simpson, should the club part with him, according to Power legend Kane Cornes. Credit: Michael Willson/AFL Photos/AFL Photos via Getty Images

Loyalty to the old firm a mistake Eagles’ coaches make

Alastair Clarkson and Sam Mitchell press conference announcing that Clarkson will step aside of the end of the 2021 season making way for Mitchell to take over.  29/07/2021.      .  Pic: Michael Klein

Hawthorn legend Alastair Clarkson is looming over the AFL’s coaching world. Credit: Michael Klein/News Corp Australia

So who is most nervous - or feeling the most pressure - of the current AFL coaches?

They are David Noble at Clarkson’s former club North Melbourne, Ben Rutten at the most disappointing Essendon, Port Adelaide mentor Ken Hinkley, West Coast premiership coach Adam Simpson and Gold Coast’s Stuart Dew. All of them would be feeling uneasy.

These five coaches are under the most pressure, but every turn of the merry-go-round runs the risk of another coach falling off the horse.

Brett Ratten remains unsigned at St Kilda. Despite the club’s recent good form, who could dismiss the Saints board asking Clarkson of his interest to join the club that has been waiting for its second flag for more than 50 years?

A similar strategy under Clarkson at the Eagles or Kangaroos would be catastrophic.

Clarkson’s most likely destination will be at the Gold Coast or GWS if these clubs do not succeed in poaching Scott.

St Kilda and the AFL world were blindsided back in 2011 when coach Ross Lyon sensationally quit the club to join Fremantle on a multi-year, multi-million contract.

Moves such as Hinkley to West Coast, Scott to GWS, Simpson to North Melbourne and Clarkson to St Kilda seem as far-fetched as Lyon joining Fremantle 10 years ago.

We were all shocked by that defection. We should not be surprised by any that are about to unfold across the next few months.

Despite recent reports of his signing a three-year contract extension at Geelong, 2011 premiership coach Chris Scott may be considering if the time has come for change - for both himself and a Geelong squad that he has been squeezed to the limit.

A move to western Sydney to take up the vacancy created by Cameron would be an ideal fit for both the club and Scott. He would become re-invigorated by the challenge on offer by a playing list that has more talent and youth than what he currently manages at Geelong.

Scott intrigued a few with his comments after the two clubs met in round seven. He chose to offer his thoughts on the GWS predicament and reminisced of his time at Brisbane. He declared his full understanding of what it’s like to be at a club in a challenging AFL market.

Was Scott sending a subtle message to the Giants’ management of his willingness to take up their fight?

After 10 years at the helm of Port Adelaide, change is on the cards for coach Ken Hinkley. If the club decides to deny him his contracted right to coach at Alberton next season, Hinkley would be the ideal fit for West Coast.

ADELAIDE, AUSTRALIA - JUNE 13: Ken Hinkley, Senior Coach of the Power after victory in the 2020 AFL Round 02 match between the Port Adelaide Power and the Adelaide Crows at Adelaide Oval on June 13, 2020 in Adelaide, Australia. (Photo by Matt Turner/AFL Photos)

Port Adelaide’s Ken Hinkley would be the ideal appointment for the struggling West Coast Eagles, according to Kane Cornes. Credit: Matt Turner/AFL Photos

Simpson must be questioning whether he is up for the huge task of repairing the damage that has been done both on and off the field at West Coast this season. He also has his home club, North Melbourne, needing a favourite son to come back to Arden Street as a saviour.

Hinkley has a proven track record at a club in crisis having taken over Port Adelaide at the end of 2012 when the club was a basket case with its AFL licence at risk. From five wins in 2012 to an elimination final win in 2013, Hinkley had an extraordinary start.

Hinkley instantly created an elite environment by being brutal on team discipline, training standards, preparation, diet and all-round professionalism – areas that have clearly been lacking at the Eagles for some time.

Hinkley prioritised youth at the selection table and favoured speed of ball movement with his entertaining game plan. Both of these issues need to be desperately addressed at West Coast.

Hinkley’s appointment to West Coast would open the door for Simpson to return to North Melbourne where he was captain and a premiership hero. Simpson ignored the homecoming overture at the end of 2020 when North Melbourne opted for Noble.

PERTH, AUSTRALIA - MAY 15: Adam Simpson, coach of the Eagles talks with Tom Barrass and Liam Duggan during the round nine AFL match between the West Coast Eagles and the Melbourne Demons at Optus Stadium on May 15, 2022 in Perth, Australia. (Photo by Paul Kane/Getty Images)

If West Coast and Adam Simpson were to part with each other, it could open the door for the North Melbourne legend to return to Arden Street. Credit: Paul Kane/Getty Images

The Kangaroos finished last in 2021 and currently sit 17th with its one win being against the last-placed Eagles. They have lost six games by 50 points or more this season and they have become a club without hope.

Simpson’s appointment would be well received by the long-suffering North Melbourne fans and would provide the new path to success they crave.

Clarkson is held in the highest regard, but that does not make him the perfect fit for every club. He is not suited to a club that is in need of a rebuild such as North Melbourne or West Coast.

His history at Hawthorn showed he had too much power over crucial list-management decisions which led to the club completely neglecting the draft.
For those who couldn't be bothered reading the whole article, it can be summarised as "When people used to talking in sound bites try to write a lengthy article".

CCJ is at best a lumbering ruckman - you simply do not part with pick 19 (in any package) for that type of player.

A player with those attributes can be picked up in many other areas of the recruitment process (rookie, msd, late pick etc) than a top 20 pick - especially for a club that has a CCJ look alike in X and is desperate need for quality youth all across the park.
Yep, and we already had Edwards on the list who is destined for the same role as CCJ.

Looking in hindsight, I would prefer our 2nd pick to CCJ (if we just said no and didn't walk him to the pre-season draft, if he wasn't up for that).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back