Opinion Commentary & Media V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
GWS and the GC are literally only there to make the AFL money.

That would be great - except that they don't and are unlikely to do so for the next few decades at least. They are literally there to make AFL executives money, of that I have no doubt. Unfortunately it is at the expense of all existing clubs.

Probably just wants to use the weaker clubs to fast track the development of his younger players.
It kinda feels like that, but seriously, why would a coach want one of his developing players in being used in another club's system? It's one thing to have games to gain experience, but there is no certainty that another club would use the player in the same way the the original club intended, and they're under a different medical regimen, different club culture etc? Who would want their young players at the WCE, Swans or GCS with the goings-on that those clubs are alleged to have happening, let alone Geelong or *?

The only way this could work is for a permanent player swap mid season, although even that would be difficult to orchestrate in way that benefits the weaker clubs as much as it tops up contenders.

Speaking for myself only, I wouldn't say I'm happy to be running last. I'd rather be sitting in or near the top 4 looking forward to finals.

However, given where we are right now, I don't see a lot of glory in running second or third bottom. If you're going to be no good, you might as well be proper no good and take any advantages that come with it. Our system rewards failure.
The trouble with this attitude is that out of the 40 players taken first in the draft only 4 have ever played in a premiership. Drew Banfield (1992), Des Headland (1998), Luke Hodge (2001) and Tom Boyd (2013). Banfield and Headland were just cogs in the wheel and Boyd didn't even win it for the club he was drafted to. Hodge stands alone as a player taken at pick 1 that had a real influence on his club going on to win the flag.

The system definitely rewards teams who finish lower on the ladder with better access to talent, but it's a stretch to say finishing 18th offers an advantage you can't get at 17th without the same level of indignity that comes with taking home the wooden spoon.

Because it's being done in reverse. They're contriving support out of communities rather than installing teams where the support demands it. That makes it a business decision not a sport one.

I don't hate the SA or WA clubs because those AFL teams were representations of existing passion in those states. Ditto a Tassie team.

We 30 years in and the swans and lions would fall over almost immediately without AFL underwriting.
Completely different scenarios and circumstances. Build it and they will come. I just dont understand the angst.

I thought they needed the extra games to sell?

I think that's quite clearly just PR. We're consistently told that the big teams - in particular Melbourne teams - are the big financial incentive for the TV networks. If we take that at face value and say that mid / small Melbourne clubs aren't a huge payback for the networks then it stands to reason that teams that get the lowest ratings and tiny attendances - even compared to the most struggling Vic clubs - are not a positive financially.

They're a hypothetical long term positive while costing millions in subsidies that make ours look like a pittance.

Probably just wants to use the weaker clubs to fast track the development of his younger players.

Exactly. As if he's going to loan one of his players to a club that could challenge them for a flag. Seriously.

There should be a "Nuffies on AFL Pages" page for people who are actually in the AFL system.

The EPL method.

Difference being, a lot of the loanee’s play in a different tier not against their own club.

The EPL method.

Difference being, a lot of the loanee’s play in a different tier not against their own club.

Almost every stupid idea that someone comes up with for the AFL includes the line "They do it in <<insert completely different sport>> in <<insert completely different country>>" whilst being totally ignorant or naïve to the totally different context, history or situation.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Almost every stupid idea that someone comes up with for the AFL includes the line "They do it in <<insert completely different sport>> in <<insert completely different country>>" whilst being totally ignorant or naïve to the totally different context, history or situation.

Or, the idea gets butchered so much, it’s implementation is completely useless when compared to the original idea.

The trouble with this attitude is that out of the 40 players taken first in the draft only 4 have ever played in a premiership. Drew Banfield (1992), Des Headland (1998), Luke Hodge (2001) and Tom Boyd (2013). Banfield and Headland were just cogs in the wheel and Boyd didn't even win it for the club he was drafted to. Hodge stands alone as a player taken at pick 1 that had a real influence on his club going on to win the flag.

The system definitely rewards teams who finish lower on the ladder with better access to talent, but it's a stretch to say finishing 18th offers an advantage you can't get at 17th without the same level of indignity that comes with taking home the wooden spoon.
LOL "this attitude"...yep 17th is just so dignified.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

I’ll never understand how folks are happy to win the spoon.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
I’m not “happy” about it but I can understand the point. We’ve haven’t bottomed out in recent times (simply could not afford to) but finally we are getting the opportunity to pick up top line talent. I hope we’ll be back up there in a couple of years.

I’m not “happy” about it but I can understand the point. We’ve haven’t bottomed out in recent times (simply could not afford to) but finally we are getting the opportunity to pick up top line talent. I hope we’ll be back up there in a couple of years.
I would hope the club's ambition now is to be the best, not avoid be the worst.

We had a collective crank back in 2017 when we won our wooden spoon play off. That paid off handsomely.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Let me work in my usual hobby horse then.

Fine, loan players are now allowed.

But as member funded institutions - all coach and player wages will now be made publicly available.

Thanks for doing business.

Let me work in my usual hobby horse then.

Fine, loan players are now allowed.

But as member funded institutions - all coach and player wages will now be made publicly available.

Thanks for doing business.
Geelong and Sydney are rooted in that instance.

Speaking for myself only, I wouldn't say I'm happy to be running last. I'd rather be sitting in or near the top 4 looking forward to finals.

However, given where we are right now, I don't see a lot of glory in running second or third bottom. If you're going to be no good, you might as well be proper no good and take any advantages that come with it. Our system rewards failure.

If you're no good whilst trying, then so be it. Trying to be crap to come last puts us in Melbourne / Dean Bailey category.

We'll get a good player in any of the last 4 ladder positions.

If you're no good whilst trying, then so be it. Trying to be crap to come last puts us in Melbourne / Dean Bailey category.

We'll get a good player in any of the last 4 ladder positions.

Don’t think we need to try to be crap. I just want us to have the intestinal fortitude to try and be good rather than avoid being bad. If that means we sink to the bottom for a year or 2, so be it.

And it’s not exclusively about draft picks, although that is more than handy. It’s about implemening plans that may open you up to some beltings initially, but pay dividends down the track.

Who wrote that GR?

Dropping Lachie Young would be a dreadful example to set. His mistakes were all from trying to switch play into the corridor. They were ill-chosen unless he had executed them perfectly, but isn't that the new game plan? Isn't that exactly why supporters are being asked to show patience?
Drop him and you're telling his teammates that mistakes in implementing the game plan are being punished. The last thing we need is a bunch of talented kids going into their shells, surely?
Well said, he was trying to take the game on, if you don't reward that, time to close the club doors.
Defenders are always going to end up whipping boys, because their mistakes can result in scores, mids and forwards make mistakes and it's up to the defenders to clean up after them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back