Opinion Commentary & Media V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
From memory, a couple of Young’s turnovers were when the receiving player stood flat footed to take the pass. Had they have moved to the ball to take possession it would be unlikely that the turnover would have occurred.
Nailed it, look up field are we attacking the ball?

Honestly, surely we've all had days where we've slacked off at work and come up with stupid ideas to fix our favourite sports.

Eddie is one of us, but instead of boring Steve from accounts, he can bore the whole country.

Quite right, one of my best ideas (according to me) is to make the heritage round exactly that, all games played on the Saturday at 2:10pm, umpires in white and only 1 field umpire, rules from the 1970's playbook, it is unlikely to catch on but at least it would not be boring ;)

At 2:00 Caro deadnames Danni Laidley 🙄

Maybe she is a TERF.

Seriously, these whiny coaches... if you don't like the job, quit and let the queue of other people who would love to do the job have a crack.

Most of us would have to work for ten years to make what this fu**head makes in one.
Money doesn’t negate the fact it’s a high pressure, stressful job.
‘Most of us’ wouldn’t last 10 minutes in that job. So fair enough they get paid 10 times more than what most earn.
Everyone wants coaches to be honest and say what they think. They do. Then everyone bags the crap out of them... Part of the job I spose.

Money doesn’t negate the fact it’s a high pressure, stressful job.
‘Most of us’ wouldn’t last 10 minutes in that job. So fair enough they get paid 10 times more than what most earn.
Everyone wants coaches to be honest and say what they think. They do. Then everyone bags the crap out of them... Part of the job I spose.
High pressure? Doctors saving lives in emergency departments don’t get paid half that, and don’t get me started on cops and firies putting their lives at risk to save others.

High pressure? Doctors saving lives in emergency departments don’t get paid half that, and don’t get me started on cops and firies putting their lives at risk to save others.
the people that do those jobs are next level and deserve alot more than they get along with the guys and girls in the armed services,But every job has its moments s**t gets very real in the kitchen every now and then, there has been times when lives were at risk mostly from the soux chef.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is high pressure but how does that correlate to income between different fields?

AFL is show business and the coaches get a cut of that revenue. Public medical sector, emergency services will always scrapping for funding so simply can't be pay their people what they're worth in the same context.

I reckon some public bus drivers have harder jobs and probably deal with more daily stress than most AFL players. I don't see any bus drivers on $600k though.

To paraphrase the late, great Keith Miller.. "Miller's early experience as a fighter pilot in the Second World War gave him the right to pronounce thus: 'When coaches nowadays talk of pressure, they only reveal what they don't know of life. They've never had a Messerschmitt up their arse. That's pressure.'

Kind of bizarre from Chris Scott. "I don't recommend someone in my family have the job I have because it's stressful and not a very good job but I'm not giving up my job at all."

However, I think all of the points on managing the pressure of any job - footy related or not are real. Just because you get paid handsomely doesn't mean that you should accept that your mental health is being compromised by your work commitments, and just because you aren't risking your life and/or saving any else's doesn't mean your job isn't stressful.

AFL coaches are under enormous scrutiny and pressure. I can't see the harm in acknowledging that and finding ways to alleviate it somewhat.

Nobles speaks exceptionally well, doesn’t fall into Cornes trying to say how bad we are.
Very direct in not diviating from their plan and their direction.
Again mentioned the experienced guys needs to lead the way . A lot of the young guys haven’t played a lot of footy in the past 12 months.
I like his approach, doesn’t get flustered or shitty, very level headed

AFL coaches are volunteers, not conscripts.

Sure there’s plenty of scrutiny but no one forces them to put their hand up.

Nobles speaks exceptionally well, doesn’t fall into Cornes trying to say how bad we are.
Very direct in not diviating from their plan and their direction.
Again mentioned the experienced guys needs to lead the way . A lot of the young guys haven’t played a lot of footy in the past 12 months.
I like his approach, doesn’t get flustered or shitty, very level headed

Exactly what we need - someone who can take the heat during this rebuild and he takes it extremely well!

The trouble with this attitude is that out of the 40 players taken first in the draft only 4 have ever played in a premiership. Drew Banfield (1992), Des Headland (1998), Luke Hodge (2001) and Tom Boyd (2013). Banfield and Headland were just cogs in the wheel and Boyd didn't even win it for the club he was drafted to. Hodge stands alone as a player taken at pick 1 that had a real influence on his club going on to win the flag.

The system definitely rewards teams who finish lower on the ladder with better access to talent, but it's a stretch to say finishing 18th offers an advantage you can't get at 17th without the same level of indignity that comes with taking home the wooden spoon.

and what about top 5 picks? need to increase the sample I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back