Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
All the things mentioned by various posters no doubt contributed to the sigh of relief issued when Ben (and Hester) left, but none of them are the reason he's no longer at the club.

Length of deal we offered in early 2020 was deemed insufficient by Brown and his camp.

We wouldn't offer the length of deal he wanted because of our concerns about his knee.

And for all the hand wringing, it’s fair enough. You don’t want to be paying a bloke big $$$ for 4-5 years when don’t think he’ll last.

I have no issue with a strong, opinionated woman, and think Hester's humanitarian efforts are amazing.

Doesn't make her immune from criticism though. Even the best people in the world don't always smell like roses.

I said nothing about the Hub

Read between the lines.

Brown had someone in his ear when decisions were to be made. Others have confirmed this to be Hester.

Hester rubbed people at the club up the wrong way, she was constantly getting involved in things and giving her opinion for the sake of having an opinion. Even when those subjects had nothing to do with her.

She cracked the shits with the club on occasion over little things and annoyed a number of players, staff, family members etc with the way she went about things.

The people I spoke to basically said a large portion of their family can't stand the way she acts and feel shes a huge reason Ben is now playing at the Dees.

So, you’re basically saying BBB has his wife to thank for the fact he’s 6-0 instead of 0-6. He must be very annoyed with her.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Lots of us on here thought that we should have given Ben the extra year - given his stellar 3 seasons. I have no doubt that he would have gotten it too, if he’d kicked 50 goals last season. However, everything went to hell in a hand-basket for him and the club instead. Just bad timing for all concerned.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Apr 27, 2008
Brisbane
AFL Club
North Melbourne
As if you don’t know that.

it’s true, the 50’s are only 47m

When you look like him, you take what you can get.
The 50’s definitely used to be less but quite a few years ago, during a ground development, they removed some of the seats at both ends to make the ground longer, so now I thought the 50’s were actually 50??

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Did Luke Darcy just say that it's easier to score goals from outside 50 at the SCG because the ground is shorter???

View attachment 1116271
The 50 is 45 at the SCG. I think thats what they did. The centre square basically touched the 50m arc when everything was in its dimensions. They shortened the square and made the 50 forty five metres.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
LOL imaging thinking the club traded one of the best forwards in the league, our most marketable player since Carey, because his missus was a bit difficult. It's absolute ******* nonsense. If it had any bearing on the way things progressed it would be in the range of about 0.000000001% of the reason why he's at the Dees. Some people just want an easy target at whom to direct their ire and you can be defensive about the gendered aspect all you like but it absolutely, undeniably plays a role in this rubbish -- for some subconsciously, for others overtly.
“Was a bit difficult” you have no idea, zero clue. When the offer was taken off the table, there was NO offer put back on the table. It wasnt an offer for 2 at significantly less. There was just GTFO!

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Which part?

................"it was a clear mark"........... "If Cameron had’ve had that shot, he's the best person to have the left footer from that spot. He rarely misses from there.” ........but I'm not blaming the umpires. :tearsofjoy:

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
The 50’s definitely used to be less but quite a few years ago, during a ground development, they removed some of the seats at both ends to make the ground longer, so now I thought the 50’s were actually 50??

This is correct. The SCG now is only 1m shorter than the Gabba. It's listed at 155m long so if that's true then with 2 50m lines and a 50m square in the middle, there's room for a 2.5m gap between the 50m line and the square at each end.

The 50m arc isn't just an arbitrary line so we know how far out the ball is. It's crucial for tactics and statistics and is integral to the 6-6-6 rule. Whilst I wouldn't put it beyond the AFL to muck that all up by changing the measurements at one ground, I don't think they do.

Oct 16, 2004
The Gasometer
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
................"it was a clear mark"........... "If Cameron had’ve had that shot, he's the best person to have the left footer from that spot. He rarely misses from there.” ........but I'm not blaming the umpires. :tearsofjoy:

In fairness though, it WAS a clear mark and Cameron would kick that just about every time. The umpire called "not 15" way too early and it went at least 20. Absolutely horrible decision. I have no pity for Scott or Geelong, but if I were him or a Cats fan, I'd be fuming.

Let's be clear here.

Despite how some seem to have taken it, I never claimed it was THE reason Ben is no longer at the club.

Simply passing on information that I was made privy to about factors that may have played into his decision making process when he chose to knock back the deal we initially tabled him. Thought some may have found it interesting.

Yeah all good mate, certainly wasn't singling you out and what you've said matches up with what I've heard as well.

There have been a few stories around and I think it was a combination of a few that sealed his fate.

No. It was his rejecting our deal in early 2020 that sealed his fate. All the various stories do illustrate that we are well shot of him.

Mar 16, 2001
Melbourne VIC
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wales, Eastwood, West Ham
In fairness though, it WAS a clear mark and Cameron would kick that just about every time. The umpire called "not 15" way too early and it went at least 20. Absolutely horrible decision. I have no pity for Scott or Geelong, but if I were him or a Cats fan, I'd be fuming.
That does make it more amusing, certainly.

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I thought they extended the ground to create room between the boundary line and the fence, not so much to increase the size of the pitch.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club

I suspect the umpires brain exploded when it came to choosing to favor Sydney or Geelong.

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
I actually wish he had been paid the mark and had a shot

And missed.

Out on the full.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back