Opinion Commentary & Media V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I mentioned before, I don’t believe Healy has a “hatred” for us. What tends to rile me is that he pretty much ignores us. If we are winning, it’s because the other team is under-performing. I believe he stated at halftime on Sunday words to the effect that * are a better club than North and should be beating us.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't think Healy is a biased commentator, he is just a poor commentator, and it begins with his delivery. He speaks in a monotone with very little inflection and as a result it is very hard to tell if he is enjoying the game or if he feels commentating is a burden or beneath him. And I think he can drag the rest of the team down to his level so there is a flatness to the commentary that you don't hear when other teams (for example Huddo and Brown against the Eagles) are commentating. This can make it difficult for the listener/viewer to enjoy the game and the "flatness" maybe why the criticisms get noticed more than the complements.

Thankfully he is only there for the special comments, imagine if he was doing Dwayne's or Huddo's job.

Last edited:
I actually think Healy has been pretty good this year in regard to our team, hes been quite complimentary at times compared to other years.

The problem he does have at times is when he goes the other way he goes in probably harder than he needs to.

And you remember those ones more than the complimentary ones.

He hasn't rated us for a long, long time even when we were playing pretty good football. FWIW I think he is just a massive ego and he rates players that reflect on how he sees his career (rightly or wrongly) - he doesn't rate blue collar players and we've almost defined ourselves by that over the last 2 decades. He loves highly skilled players. He is biased but it's less about clubs and more about what he values, irrespective of whether the game currently shares those values. His arrogance arrives in the room years in advance of him though.

CarnTheKANGAS

Team Captain
Aug 30, 2011
Earth
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He hasn't rated us for a long, long time even when we were playing pretty good football. FWIW I think he is just a massive ego and he rates players that reflect on how he sees his career (rightly or wrongly) - he doesn't rate blue collar players and we've almost defined ourselves by that over the last 2 decades. He loves highly skilled players. He is biased but it's less about clubs and more about what he values, irrespective of whether the game currently shares those values. His arrogance arrives in the room years in advance of him though.
I dont know if it stems from before, but ive always felt he was always bitter from 96 triumph over his swannettes

I dont know if it stems from before, but ive always felt he was always bitter from 96 triumph over his swannettes

Fair chance. He has definitely barely rated us in 2 decades and in spite of the fact that ultimately we fell short we have played some great football during that time - the kind of football that would have certain teams like Carlton getting handies behind the shed from commentators after 3 in a row.

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM

I remember when his daughter was a promising tennis player and all of a sudden, he was the self appointed authority of all things tennis.

It culminated in him expressing that Camille Pin, a woman ranked inside the Top 100 in the world at that point, would struggle to beat women at local club level.

A genuinely preposterous position to take.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Passmore

Brownlow Medallist
May 22, 2001
The Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Norf
Dwayne is salty because of the Cats lack of success in the 90’s of which he was a part of I thought?
Many years ago 3AW were taking talk back on players who came in with reputations but failed to deliver on the hype. Dwayne was leading the discussion.

I decided to ring 3AW and nominate Dwayne himself. The bloke on the phone thought it was a great idea. Dwayne less so, when I got through. He sooked.

Fair to say I didn't win the prize.

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Many years ago 3AW were taking talk back on players who came in with reputations but failed to deliver on the hype. Dwayne was leading the discussion.

I decided to ring 3AW and nominate Dwayne himself. The bloke on the phone thought it was a great idea. Dwayne less so, when I got through. He sooked.

You win the retrospective 1990s Kath Loughlan award. Great effort.

Wow. Whateley literally a piece of tape on the nose bridge of his glasses away from being pictured in the dictionary under the definition of 'pencil neck geek'. I've got no doubt he's packing a pocket protector on the polyester blend short sleeve Pelaco he's wearing under that ill-fitting suit jacket.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Wow. Whateley literally a piece of tape on the nose bridge of his glasses away from being pictured in the dictionary under the definition of 'pencil neck geek'. I've got no doubt he's packing a pocket protector on the polyester blend short sleeve Pelaco he's wearing under that ill-fitting suit jacket.

He has that perfect AFL media combination of looking like a point-dexter but not actually being that smart.

The white collar equivalent of Barry Hall who looked tough but never put his head over the ball or hit a bloke who was in a position to hit back.

Sphynx

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Healy is the lesser of the two evils. Listening to JB feels like being betrayed by your brother. Kingy is in the same basket too, but not as bad. He should stick to Twitter when it’s north related, he is way more positive there.

Healy is just plain incompetent with a splash of bias.

I don’t mind Dwayne these days to be honest. He’s a bit of a try hard, but I think he is pretty fair. I’ve come to the conclusion that his perceived North hatred was due to him spending too much time with G.Healy.

You must be kidding.

Healy is an absolute tit, easily the worst special comments commentator. Putting aside some of the deplorable play by play callers like Darcy etc.

Sucks the ass of West Coast, Fremantle, Adelaide, Brisbane constantly.

No idea how he's still in the game from an era when the likes of Dougie, Dippa, Drew Morphett, Sandy Roberts etc etc all got moved aside. He's still around 25 years later.

Was listening to him the other day talking about how poor goal kicking is now, and what he used to do as a player. I sent in a text showing current forwards with percentage of 65-75% and compared it to his percentage of 54% and suggested players don’t do what he did. Funny enough he didn’t read it out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back