Opinion Commentary & Media V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kind of annoys me that these guys can’t have a *en pint & a bet without people slyly taking their photo.

Edit: on King personally, he came into my bar a few times for a date-night beer or two & one time I was there drinking a tea out of my North Melbourne mug & said ‘Go Roos’ to him. First thing he did was point at me & ask ‘Are you a member though?!’ & when he found out I was, gave me a big smile & reassured me that we’d be alright.

Kind of annoys me that these guys can’t have a fu**en pint & a bet without people slyly taking their photo.

Edit: on King personally, he came into my bar a few times for a date-night beer or two & one time I was there drinking a tea out of my North Melbourne mug & said ‘Go Roos’ to him. First thing he did was point at me & ask ‘Are you a member though?!’ & when he found out I was, gave me a big smile & reassured me that we’d be alright.

Annoys me that so many North people are critical of Kingy also, the bloke loves the club.

Who else from the media, who played for North, do you see front up to members nights, NorthTalk podcast, etc?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Annoys me that so many North people are critical of Kingy also, the bloke loves the club.

Who else from the media, who played for North, do you see front up to members nights, NorthTalk podcast, etc?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I am critical of King for a very valid reason which I won't bore people with but I have never questioned his love of the club.

I am critical of King for a very valid reason which I won't bore people with but I have never questioned his love of the club.
It's what Big Footy is all about, boring people with your opinion.

Last edited:
Hope so, I thought he was one of the better "experts" last time around.

You're probably correct in that he knows footy.

I still blame him for costing us another two to three premierships, with him and Carey we would have nearly been unstoppable. But perhaps they might have killed each other too?

Pretty much like Kingy's role in the media.
I think he is one of the few footy commentators who backs up his opinions, generally it is done though the use of statistics which some people don't like, but he does explain his observations. His Wednesday night segment on AFL360 with Leigh Montagna is one of the more interesting segments on the show, and probably deserves more time than the five minutes Fox give it, which not something I will can say about any other footy show I've seen in recent years.

I think he is one of the few footy commentators who backs up his opinions, generally it is done though the use of statistics which some people don't like, but he does explain his observations. His Wednesday night segment on AFL360 with Leigh Montagna is one of the more interesting segments on the show, and probably deserves more time than the five minutes Fox give it, which not something I will can say about any other footy show I've seen in recent years.
I love Kingy, but some of his takes are painful and twist stats to support his own opinion. Each to their own I suppose.

When you have Slobbo blabbering on about the latest storm in a teacup whilst licking his lips feverishly, it doesn't allow much time for discerning opinions...

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

" odiosis homines cum sententia "

Thank you Goggle translate ( even though it doesn't sound quite like something that l would use as a pick up line )
Hehehehe cum

Decided to browse the kayo classic matches and found the last round match against the Dogs in 1998. I remember loving it at the time and so far I’m enjoying the replay too. Footy was something then - has the speed and power of the players getting professional but not yet overcoached and over umpired and over managed.

How good is that wide shot of the ground and crowd on the final siren?

So many games, including grand finals, they focus in on one player, eg Martin, Ablett, etc, when a wide shot of the elation of the siren would make the whole thing SO much damn better!

Old mate Bucky is back, spoiler alert he rates TT as D+…..haha

And Powell as a D

As put in the Trade Management Thread

Gary Buckenara analyses North Melbourne’s list after the 2021 AFL season
They finished last but there are some signs of hope for the future for the Kangaroos – if they stick to this formula, writes Gary Buckenara. See the full list analysis.

Gary Buckenara

4 min read
August 31, 2021
News Corp Australia Sports Newsroom

As the 2021 season got underway, the Kangaroos looked in all sorts of trouble.
New coach David Noble must have wondered whether he had walked into a nightmare.
But to the credit of everyone at North Melbourne, they stayed the course and, by season’s end, there had been some very good wins and, most importantly for the club and supporters, some great signs of hope for the future.
The Kangaroos have invested in the draft and played younger players and the benefits of this have been clear.
With the faith shown in playing the kids, you can see the belief growing among the younger players – they believe they belong at AFL level.
The Kangaroos need to stick to this formula. They need to keep their early picks and keep investing in the draft over the next few years and then it might be time to look at a few trades for experienced A or B grade players.
If they can also attract a big name or two as free agents, this would be a huge bonus as well.
But we have seen players reluctant to go there as they have not been seen as a “destination club” with finals on the horizon any time soon.
Given the Roos’ improvement towards the end of 2021, this could change.
Overall, North Melbourne supporters should feel far more positive looking towards 2022 than they were for season 2021 at the same time last year.
I have been critical of the Kangaroos over the past two-to-three years, but their fortunes seem to be turning around, and Noble and his support staff must be applauded for that.

LIST NEEDS
The Roos need to keep investing in the draft for the next two years and keep hold of their early draft picks.
They need young talent with elite skills and decision-making, and midfielders with pace, endurance and skill.

TRADE TARGETS
I would not entertain trading any early picks, so that would rule out being active in the trade period this year.
But like everything, it is wise to never say never. If they were to go down that path, it would need to be a top-line player, under 25 and willing to go to North if they were to look at trading an early pick.

RATING THE LIST
A:
Ben Cunnington, Todd Goldstein
B: Jaidyn Stephenson, Luke Davies-Uniacke, Jed Anderson, Aidan Corr, Jack Ziebell, Luke McDonald, Jy Simpkin, Trent Dumont, Nick Larkey, Ben McKay, Robbie Tarrant, Aaron Hall, Cameron Zurhaar
C: Taylor Garner, Jared Polec, Lachie Young, Shaun Atley, Josh Walker, Dom Tyson, Will Walker, Kayne Turner, Connor Menadue, Tristan Xerri, Tom Campbell
D+: Curtis Taylor, Bailey Scott, Aiden Bonar, Tarryn Thomas
D: Jack Mahony, Atu Bosenavulagi, Tom Powell, Will Phillips, Charlie Comben, Patrick Walker, Charlie Lazzaro, Phoenix Spicer, Kyron Hayden, Flynn Perez, Eddie Ford, Matt McGuinness, Charlie Ham, Jacob Edwards
LIST BREAKDOWN
A Grade = 2
B Grade = 13
C Grade = 11
D+ Grade = 4
D Grade = 14

WHAT THE RATINGS MEAN
A-grade:
Elite players on any AFL list
B: Top 10-18 player on most lists
C: An 19-30 player on a list
Developing: Aged 21 or under – D+ is a player that will hopefully develop into an A or B ranked player and a D ranked player would be a player recently drafted that is still developing and therefore will need more time to see if he is likely to develop into an A or B grade player.

UNTOUCHABLES
All the A, B and D+ ranked players. But they need to look carefully at the D ranked players and continue to develop them and identify those likely to develop into A or B in the future.
They shouldn’t discard the D ranked players too quickly as some may well be late developers.
This is the challenge of list management to balance list needs with development, without being impatient with younger players.

TRADE BAIT
I don’t think they can afford to offload any A or B grade talent at this stage and they will want to keep all their D+ players so I can’t really see them playing a big role in the trade period.

UNDER THE PUMP
The players in the C category are the ones who will be under the pump to stay on the list.
But players like Taylor Garner, Shaun Atley (when fit), Jared Polec, Josh Walker, Dom Tyson (when fit), Kayne Turner and Tristan Xerri can play an important role in adding depth to help develop the younger group.
Apologies to the rest, some of these will be casualties in finding space for younger players in 2022.

CRYSTAL BALL
Let’s hope season 2022 continues to build on the positive finish to 2021 and the Roos can find some players in the national draft and, who knows, maybe snare a nice free agent as a bonus.
The club’s depth is thin and luck with injuries in 2022 will be needed. But I was really pleased to see the improvement they showed towards the end of this year and, more importantly, there were signs the “Shinboners” spirit is starting to gain momentum again.
They are still a few years away from a possible top-eight position, as long as they continue on the path of investing in talented young players with their first, second and third-round picks. They might find a free agent interested but I would not be giving up any of the above picks in trades.
Things can turn quickly if they make good list management and recruiting decisions over the next two years, there are some positive signs at last for Kangaroos supporters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back