Opinion Commentary & Media V

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Love the commentary in those games. Especially Peter McKenna. He calls it as he sees it and doesn't mind getting stuck into the umps when they screw up.

Unlike today where everything is sugar coated and the commentators I assume are instructed not to be critical of the umpires.

At least I think it's still like that, usually watch with the volume turned down now. The decline in commentating is very sad.
Slug Jordon calling the infamous army reserve cup game when big John Bourke went rogue is as good as I have heard a call.

I have. Friday, July 9, 1993 at the MCG. Wayne Carey vs Essendon.

1st vs 3rd. We'd led by 26 during the first quarter, but fell 17 down during the third.

Longmire & McAdam each kicked 6. But Carey took 6 contested marks in the last quarter, kicked 4 goals for the match. We kicked 8.8 to 1.2 in the last quarter to win by 38 points. The man just decided to win the game for his team. The most brilliant solo performance I've ever seen.

Enjoy

I think you’re selling Fridge and Horse a little short there.

1st vs 3rd. We'd led by 26 during the first quarter, but fell 17 down during the third.

Longmire & McAdam each kicked 6. But Carey took 6 contested marks in the last quarter, kicked 4 goals for the match. We kicked 8.8 to 1.2 in the last quarter to win by 38 points. The man just decided to win the game for his team. The most brilliant solo performance I've ever seen.

Enjoy

I watch this game at least once a year, our final quarter is without doubt the most dominant display I've seen in a top of the table clash, Essendon looked out of their depth, yet by years end they were Premiers.:mad:

Closing in on 30 years later and it still shits me.

I watch this game at least once a year, our final quarter is without doubt the most dominant display I've seen in a top of the table clash, Essendon looked out of their depth, yet by years end they were Premiers.:mad:

Closing in on 30 years later and it still shits me.
Haha watch the kid in the stands after Horse kicks the goal around the 1.00 min mark, he high-fives a fellow North supporter then proceeds to give the *Scum supporter sitting behind him the middle finger - what a little legend!

Even including 1996 and 1999, there was no more fun time to be a North supporter than the first 2/3 of 1993. We were rubbish in 1992, and after the Foster's Cup thrashing against Adelaide, and Schimma's sacking, were just about spoon favourites heading into the season. Expectation was so low that anything decent was a bonus.

But the football we played in that time was exhilarating. No coach has ever made such an instant impact as Pagan in 1993. We beat the the reigning premiers West Coast in Perth, we beat the runners-up Geelong down there, we beat the Prelim Finalist Footscray at their ground, we beat Collingwood at Vic Park by 83 points, we beat both 1993 Grand Finalists, we were on top of the ladder for 13 weeks, we kicked 100+ in 14 of the first 15 weeks, we kicked our highest ever score against the Swans, our biggest loss was 7 points. McAdam kicked 38 goals in his first 6 games. It was so much fun. If you can't remember it, or even if you can, go back and look at the highlights. Better still, watch this. You think footy is good now? Watch this.

Sadly, the final act didn't turn out our way. The week after the Essendon game, Carey got injured. So did Rock and Romero. Longmire did his knee in the last round. Laidley got rubbed out. The rest of the list, especially McAdam, ran out of puff. The finals system only gave the top 2 a double chance and we fell apart in the finals. But it was part of the education that got us to the next 7 Preliminary Finals and got us two flags.

1993 was so much fun.

The most exciting year of football ever. At least until the second Geelong game. The four pronged attack of Longmire, Carey, McAdam and Roberts was so exciting to watch, the only time in history three players from the same team kicked 60+ goals in a season, and Roberts fell just short of 50. The frenetic, almost out of control style of play was something I'd never really seen before and I think it caught a lot of teams by surprise, it wasn't until later in the season when injuries took their toll that the better teams were able slow the tempo of the game and blunt our attack. We also conceded a lot of points (it's not often you win by almost 4 goals conceding 22) but that didn't seem to be a concern until later seasons, the philosophy that year was to play fast, attack at all costs and if the opposition kicked 20, kick 22. Far more enjoyable that what has been dished out (not only by us, but the league in general) over the last decade or two.

Wayne Carey is the best player I've seen but I'm happy to debate that given I may be biased. However, Wayne Carey is the best wet-weather tall I have ever seen and refuse to debate that. No one got close. Remember the '99 final against Port - incredible.

So many great crumbers getting to the drop of the ball and creating havoc in the forward 50...:'(:'(:'(
Feels worse given we've only really had Lindsay that's been above average since those years.

Enjoy

Got to love the young North supporter at the 1 minute mark flipping off all the * supporters around him after we hit the front again :cool:

Slug Jordon calling the infamous army reserve cup game when big John Bourke went rogue is as good as I have heard a call.
I remember watching it live at the time. Slug and Sandy Roberts called it magnificently.

"I think you've gotta get the boy off".

"Oh, he's give him one too. He's done well".

Yeah yeah I know we’re not allowed to post him but did this actually happen?

* them if it did

Attachments

• 5F0D94CA-2DFF-401D-AF89-E026EC47A3A3.png
    5F0D94CA-2DFF-401D-AF89-E026EC47A3A3.png
    322 KB · Views: 218

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love the commentary in those games. Especially Peter McKenna. He calls it as he sees it and doesn't mind getting stuck into the umps when they screw up.

Unlike today where everything is sugar coated and the commentators I assume are instructed not to be critical of the umpires.

At least I think it's still like that, usually watch with the volume turned down now. The decline in commentating is very sad.
Small mercies, at least the AFL app now appears to have aligned the TV with the radio commentary which is generally so much better because they’ve got no choice but to actually call what’s going on.

I’d rather smash my **** with a hammer than listen to the garbage that 7 dish up.

Prefer 'Hame' myself.
Our lockdown AFL drinking game is based around Hame's poor mans Bruce routine when he bashes in some useless stat between BT ******* up someone's name.

"Interestingly BT, the last time someone who wore 32 and switched to 35 at their new club who lined up for set shot at goal in the 2nd quarter of a final was in 1957, so we could see history being made here today"

We struggle to make it past ¾ time.

If I wanted people to be funny and blokey on the commentary I’d select actual funny people

Our lockdown AFL drinking game is based around Hame's poor mans Bruce routine when he bashes in some useless stat between BT ******* up someone's name.

"Interestingly BT, the last time someone who wore 32 and switched to 35 at their new club who lined up for set shot at goal in the 2nd quarter of a final was in 1957, so we could see history being made here today"

We struggle to make it past ¾ time.
Now I have to know.... Who was it?

Small mercies, at least the AFL app now appears to have aligned the TV with the radio commentary which is generally so much better because they’ve got no choice but to actually call what’s going on.

I’d rather smash my **** with a hammer than listen to the garbage that 7 dish up.
Really? Is this confirmed.
I watch on Kayo anyway. Watch on a slight delay so I fast forward all the ads during breaks.

Would prefer to be able to choose differing commentary while watching TV. Would be a great option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back