Opinion Commentary & Media VI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorry, but it's one of the dumbest trends to take over the industrial relations world since it transformed into 'HR'.

Further, specified outer term contracts ended early attract the same 'payout' as any other contract should it include termination on notice clauses. It's not even a protection against unfair dismissal thing.

Short contracts:

(1) Mean you're less likely to attract top talent
(2) Increase the rate of necessary churn (getting rid of people who aren't working out), because of (1)
(3) Increase the rate of unnecessary churn (people leave for more stability, because banks will laugh their arse off at you on a six months)
(4) To try and offset (1) you end up paying more money for the uncertainty of the contract, which for places that have a spending cap like AFL clubs, is extremely dumb.

I don't know how things operate at North, or if it's true. Who even knows what 'long term' is in this context for North. But NFPs and Teaching are definitely not industries I'd hold up as bastions of good and efficient IR practice.

The churn alone is absurdly costly once you place a position performance microscope on it.

That's all said without even considering that cultivating an extremely insecure workforce would be a very un-North Melbourne thing to do in terms of our cultural values. I hope it's not true and we operate on a case by case basis.
I'm just stating where things are headed in other industries, as to whether it's a good idea that's another thing.

The club would be burnt over recent years on dealing with soft cap payouts to BS, Shaw, and other coaching staff during the COVID stand-down.

They would be looking to implement ways to reduce that exposure. In the case of the Roos, opportunities are given to people getting their first go at a role (ie. BS, Shaw, Luff). This comes with a level of risk as they are unknowns and probably types that wouldn't be the first choice at other clubs.

All fair points on the disadvantages of an insecure workforce though, as someone who needs to support a family I know I wouldn't be up for it.

I'm just stating where things are headed in other industries, as to whether it's a good idea that's another thing.

The club would be burnt over recent years on dealing with soft cap payouts to BS, Shaw, and other coaching staff during the COVID stand-down.

They would be looking to implement ways to reduce that exposure. In the case of the Roos, opportunities are given to people getting their first go at a role (ie. BS, Shaw, Luff). This comes with a level of risk as they are unknowns and probably types that wouldn't be the first choice at other clubs.

All fair points on the disadvantages of an insecure workforce though, as someone who needs to support a family I know I wouldn't be up for it.
It's only usually really high level contracts (executives in the business world, so probably coach, for example in the footy world) that would contain a payout clause in case of early termination. They're more traditional fixed-term contracts.

I'd be very surprised if those types of contracts filtered all the way down to our recruiters, fitness staff, etc. I suspect those ones would be fixed-term contracts that contain termination clauses.

The indication from the club that two of our staff gave notice and left their contracts early would probably support my assumption. No way of knowing for sure though.

Last edited:
I would be interested to know if it's a long term strategy or just a medium term one while we rebuild both the list and administration. The ability to attract and retain high quality people is certainly a concern I have, and lets be honest we've arguably been towards the back of the pack on that front before this change.

A good way to sort the wheat from the chaff I suppose, if it was just a temporary measure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm going to keep repeating this until everyone knows the truth. JHF was never going to sign on the eve of the season there was nothing to sign. We had a preliminary conversation with his manager a few weeks into the season their intent has always been to leave the decision until later in the year.

Sam Edmund who originally made up the story about signing on the eve of the season recently changed his story to, 'Horne-Francis at the start of the season decided to put off contract talks until the end of the year.' Which is more accurate but still not 100% true.

Are you a first person, or third person ‘we’ in this observation?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Corey if you’re reading this, you’re as good a bloke as you were a player… and you were a superstar footballer.

Thank you kind sir.

I’ve seen plenty of past players throwing darts and cheap comments on social media.

Whilst we are all hurting, why not all get involved and pick up the phone and say “what can I do to help”?

I’ve heard a lot in the from past players like Carey, King, Roberts, Makepeace, Schwass… Very easy to dissect every decision and pass judgement, but different story getting your hands dirty and actually making your presence felt?

Imagine the show of unity if all of our 90’s clubman like Carey, Archer, Stevens, McKernan, Martin, Allison, Harvey, Blakey, King, Rock, Sholl, Colbert, Abraham, Picket, Scott, Crocker, Laidley etc all showed up in a show of support and unity for the current players who are getting bashed physically and mentally every week!

The other issue that pisses me off the most is everyone saying I know someone or something and there is more to this and I need to be careful what I say…. The longer we talk In riddles and try to protect people the longer this turmoil will go on and we will continue to lose quality individuals whether it be staff or players. For David King to basically allude to the fact that Luff wanted to recruit McDonald over Phillips but not actually admit it is even worse. Who is pulling the strings here and why are they being protected? Is Nobel pulling the strings or not? Who created the blueprint for our rebuild in terms of players we are targeting and building from midfield out? I have not found one source that has clearly stated who is responsible for list management as a whole?

The fact everyone seems to talk about that they know what is happening but the average Joe supporters are kept in the dark makes us lose faith and drift further away from the fabric of the club (hence 13k fans last week at the game).

He's gonna come out soon as Jon Ralf.
The Worst GIF by Parks and Recreation

It's only usually really high level contracts (executives in the business world, so probably coach, for example in the footy world) that would contain a payout clause in case of early termination. They're more traditional fixed-term contracts.

I'd be very surprised if those types of contracts filtered all the way down to our recruiters, fitness staff, etc. I suspect those ones would be fixed-term contracts that contain termination clauses.

The indication from the club that two of our staff gave notice and left their contracts early would probably support my assumption. No way of knowing for sure though.
Yep, remember the big fuss made about "Everything is Awesome" Bolton being on a staff contract with limited termination liability?

Who created the blueprint for our rebuild in terms of players we are targeting and building from midfield out? I have not found one source that has clearly stated who is responsible for list management as a whole?

Haven’t all the list management decisions stopped with Brady? Surely, if his direct line managers are responsible for list decisions, is he not accountable? And his accountability would involve his consultancy, opinion and approval.

Haven’t all the list management decisions stopped with Brady? Surely, if his direct line managers are responsible for list decisions, is he not accountable? And his accountability would involve his consultancy, opinion and approval.

King was saying draft picks aren’t the choice of one person, rather there’s group of them that come to an agreement, from Luff to Brady etc..

Well played by Boomer. That quote (or words to the same effect) was originally coined by a journo from The Age (Jake Niall IIRC) in an article written sometime in the 1990s.
It’s been a long time but I’m sure I read that in The North Story written in the early 70’s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back