Opinion Commentary & Media VI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think we’ve changed our game plan at all.
I think it’s as simple as our pressure around the contest has improved immensely which has decreased the quality of ball we have to defend against.

When our pressure is off, like it was at the start of the ESS and Syd game and for periods of the Pies game we get exposed.

This Ratten v Clarko talk is just media rubbish.

Watched the replay today and wanted to add that one of the biggest differences is we are using handball to work through contests better.

This is resulting in deeper and better ball going forward. It’s also allowing us time to get set behind the ball and get repeat entries.

Just watching 360 . They’re talking about buddy Franklin. The displayed the record goal kickers . Showing Doug Wade but only named as a Geelong . Did he play in the backline for North or something 😂😂

yep all good points and as long as we get band 1 then its a handy situation to be in
But i would argue (discuss :) ) that the hit rate on high draft pick KP players isn't as high as the midfielders but agree it has got better
I also think we are rating Ben pretty harshly this year (admittedly based on some recent bad form). He's been excellent for us for a while which is why he's attracting suitors. We seem to be pretty quick to forget that

I'm just getting a bit over kicking the can down the road getting draft picks.I feel we may be better off holding onto someone who's 25 ( and pay the market rate) to mix with the plethora of draft picks we already have than just keep chasing the high draft picks
You need a mix

anyway enjoying the discussion and good to get other BF folks viewpoints !
The real question should be "Can Ben and Log form the key pillars of one of the tightest and most effective backlines of the next five years?"

If the answer is yes then we should keep him if we can.

If the answer is no and we're committed to Log for the long term then the best draft pick we can get would be good.

There’s also the possibility of:
3 - natural development of a young list to understand and implement Clarko’s game plan. Remember this was never a quick fix. Realistically 3-4 years.

Actually I’ll thrown in another option:
4 - Wardlaw introduction into seniors
Totally. It’s not an either/or. It’s an either/AND.

But if it were one of those two, which do you think is more likely to have happened almost immediately from the Sydney game onwards?

I’m hopeful that this was all part of Clarkos plan and not Rattens, however I think it’s most likely a bit of column an and a bit of column b. Anyway, hope we see this continue when Al returns.
Clarkson said as much in a presser about four weeks ago. It’s part of the plan.

If we had a choice between pick 3 and Ben staying I'd rather keep Ben
Pick 3 could be a bust and big defenders are like gold

better the devil you know than the draft lottery which can happen with KP players (which i'd assume we'd use pick 3 on)
Or trade it for another established key defender and a draft pick? Tom Stewart? 😜

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t think we’ve changed our game plan at all.
I think it’s as simple as our pressure around the contest has improved immensely which has decreased the quality of ball we have to defend against.

When our pressure is off, like it was at the start of the ESS and Syd game and for periods of the Pies game we get exposed.

This Ratten v Clarko talk is just media rubbish.
Honestly, I think you’re right.

The main difference is, intense has lifted, accountability has been set by young guys, and CCJ kicked nine in the vfl and created another forward target other than Larkey for everyone to bomb it to

Because our footy was disjointed and unfocused.
Come on mate. There has to be some sort of learning curve. We just beat a very bad Eagles round one, did well against Freo but then back to learning. I wouldn’t say the whole team was unfocused and of course we were disjointed. I think we’ve played 38 players this year. No surprise we’ve been a bit disjointed.

Watched the replay today and wanted to add that one of the biggest differences is we are using handball to work through contests better.

This is resulting in deeper and better ball going forward. It’s also allowing us time to get set behind the ball and get repeat entries.
We are better in the contest and our rebounding has improved. We still move slow comming out from kick-ins, but certainly I've noticed an uptick of people being in better positions just generally all over the ground.

Because our footy was disjointed and unfocused.
We defeated freo in freo...

Travel was tough at the start, we had three blowouts - Melbourne, gold coast (in gc), and Brisbane (in sa).

We are getting better and wardlaw comming in with some of the others improving I think your just seeing a young side that can perform, but just struggled with consistency.

Our selection process for players has not changed, it was clarko that put the entire team on notice dropping or benching anyone not in form, no matter how much we owe them as a club.

I cannot wait for clarko to come back, I just feel we are incomplete without him and if we have a single misstep, drop off in intensity or consistency then that is when we really need him. No doubt he has been able to look at the game a bit differently over the past few weeks, so looking forward to him being refreshed.

giantroo do you have the video of Montagna on First Crack talking about our gameplan and that it would all come together later in the year?
Was a great call in retrospect and I think we have just been belted by Brisbane or Melbourne that weekend.

Montagna is wasted in the media.

giantroo do you have the video of Montagna on First Crack talking about our gameplan and that it would all come together later in the year?
Was a great call in retrospect and I think we have just been belted by Brisbane or Melbourne that weekend.

Montagna is wasted in the media.

Tbh Kings comments were fair. I was down that end and McKays effort there was slo motion. In general I have no idea how that backline communicates. They lack voice and direction. The only time they come together is after a disastrous goal. As I said in the GD Thread it’s like awaiting a train crash every time it was coming down there. Time for Logue to stand up and start leading directions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back