Opinion Commentary & Media VI

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s been widely reported that he was about to sign on the eve of the season but decided not to. He then put talks off until the end of of the year but it has never been confirmed when that decision was made.

I know we all want to believe everything is rosey down at the club but it’s not.
I'm not sure that's true. If memory serves, Footy Classified said we had a draft of the press release, which could indicate over-confidence rather than a deal being close.

Knowing what we know about Ben Williams, it seems out of character for him to be negotiating a deal before Jason's first game. I can see a scenario where we've gone "hey Ben, we want to meet about extending Jason's contract", and he goes "nah, not yet". To think that he would negotiate an extension for Jason before Logan McDonald's was done just seems odd.

Also, remember that leaks were coming thick and fast from a person within the club (and who may or may not be still working there), and leaks typically come from people with an axe to grind. If you were (hypothetically, of course) a list manager who was in dispute with certain sections of the club, you'd drop things to the media to put pressure on, and if it took adding a bit of mayo to a story to do that, then so be it.

I know it's not all rainbows and unicorns down there, but that in itself means we should take everything with a grain of salt.

It’s been widely reported that he was about to sign on the eve of the season but decided not to. He then put talks off until the end of of the year but it has never been confirmed when that decision was made.

I know we all want to believe everything is rosey down at the club but it’s not.

Sure. I’m not saying it is.

So gut call from you. What is your prediction on how it plays out?

If I’m Brady, I’m finding out prior to trade week what he is doing, if he’s not staying, fine, let’s get the trade done this year.

That said, in the last month, he’s actually said

• it hurts when silvagni said north were s**t
  • he is loving being at north and living in Melbourne (has said these things about 10 times in the media)
  • has liked posts backing noble
  • has acknowledged it’s good to take “us” awhile to get to where we want to get to
  • he’s loyal

Again, not saying this all means he will extend, but there is literally nothing that he or his manger have said that indicates he leaving or anything other than standard contracting timelines for a no 1 draft pick.

The actual quote is "if a bomb hit tomorrow 3 things would survive - cockroaches, North Melbourne and Atu Bosenvulagi's place in the 22".
To be fair, even Atu looks baffled as to why he's there. Or in fact what sport he's playing.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

To be fair, even Atu looks baffled as to why he's there. Or in fact what sport he's playing.

On SM-S901E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Reminds me of the cab driver who accidentally got put live on air by the BBC to discuss antitrust or something.

South have given the game some great players, like Stephen Michael, Maurice Rioli, and Peter Matera and Peter Bell. But they also gave us ******* Brad Hardie so they can get ducked.

In a way South gave the game me, because I probably would have had zero interest in footy as a little pommy kid living in Perth if I didn't live next door to their coach at the time who used to take me and my brothers out for a kick. And that's how you insert yourself into a narrative.

In a way South gave the game me, because I probably would have had zero interest in footy as a little pommy kid living in Perth if I didn't live next door to their coach at the time who used to take me and my brothers out for a kick. And that's how you insert yourself into a narrative.

I had the same feelings towards Tantric Sex until Paul Roos (who lived next door) took me and my brothers to an Ashram in Emerald.

I'm going to keep repeating this until everyone knows the truth. JHF was never going to sign on the eve of the season there was nothing to sign. We had a preliminary conversation with his manager a few weeks into the season their intent has always been to leave the decision until later in the year.

Sam Edmund who originally made up the story about signing on the eve of the season recently changed his story to, 'Horne-Francis at the start of the season decided to put off contract talks until the end of the year.' Which is more accurate but still not 100% true.

I personally am worried about the morale of our staff in the disco department 😬 a young person (I’m taking a risk and going to nominate ‘her’) goes to a lot of trouble to play entirely inappropriate songs that are too loud and too bass heavy . ‘Her’ is obviously doing her best swaying to the beats making eye contact with the members and making encouraging noises yet no one not one person gets up for a dance. It’s disgraceful and I’m over it, I want everyone from big footy who is in the victory room at half time at our next home game to get on the dance floor with me and bust a move!!! Come on peeps let’s do our bit to lift staff spirits at NMFC 💃🕺

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had the same feelings towards Tantric Sex until Paul Roos (who lived next door) took me and my brothers to an Ashram in Emerald.

How long were you there for?

Gosh I hope one was Cane Corn, that would be a grand twitter account. I'd follow.

So we have 300 odd employees here's a rough breakdown.

40 odd footballers, it would appear some are only part time.
13 Baristas
48 statisticians who keep us up to date on how much we're behind.
A smattering of coaches
4 backstabbers, we should have kept the boot studders.
A cheer squad - a motley bunch it must be said
2 fruit platter providers, we sacked the orange peelers
A team of doctors most of whom studied overseas and they also provide an Uber service. Well mainly Uber as we don't recognise their quals.
61 hangers on
4 ball pumpers
8 cleaners

And that's about all I know.
8 barristers, sure must get crowded behind that coffee cart.

It’s a Chip Le Grand quote I’m pretty sure.
Chip Le Grand's article on Monday morning about Sunday's match started with this:

"Comeback Kangas book September
Chip le Grand
August 08, 2005
Collingwood 14.14 (98) v Kangaroos 15.14 (104)

IF the world were consumed by a nuclear holocaust tomorrow, the North Melbourne Football Club and cockroaches would be the only two things left scurrying round the earth.

For the second week in a row, the Kangaroos yesterday showed why they are the hardest team to kill in the AFL. "

I liked it too.

Many not for profit organisations have gone to similar employment models as this, as they can't afford payouts when situations on employees aren't working out.

Teachers are also contracted on a 6 monthly basis.

The Roos might be ahead of the curve (once again) on how the market is operating.
Sorry, but it's one of the dumbest trends to take over the industrial relations world since it transformed into 'HR'.

Further, specified outer term contracts ended early attract the same 'payout' as any other contract should it include termination on notice clauses. It's not even a protection against unfair dismissal thing.

Short contracts:

(1) Mean you're less likely to attract top talent
(2) Increase the rate of necessary churn (getting rid of people who aren't working out), because of (1)
(3) Increase the rate of unnecessary churn (people leave for more stability, because banks will laugh their arse off at you on a six months)
(4) To try and offset (1) you end up paying more money for the uncertainty of the contract, which for places that have a spending cap like AFL clubs, is extremely dumb.

I don't know how things operate at North, or if it's true. Who even knows what 'long term' is in this context for North. But NFPs and Teaching are definitely not industries I'd hold up as bastions of good and efficient IR practice.

The churn alone is absurdly costly once you place a position performance microscope on it.

That's all said without even considering that cultivating an extremely insecure workforce would be a very un-North Melbourne thing to do in terms of our cultural values. I hope it's not true and we operate on a case by case basis.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back