Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
AFL is just trying to find ways NOT to give Tassie a license.

New stadium IN Hobart? Where exactly are they going to put it? Hobart is small as capitals go, and anyone whose been there will tell you that the available space has been pretty well used up. Theres a heap of drama at the moment with UTAS buying out old buildings to use because theres no real place for them to build, there isn't room for a new stadium.

The only place I can think of that they could potentially put a new stadium is Queen's Domain, and that won't happen.
Couldn’t they redevelop Hobart over 2 years and play out of Launceston?

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Really , rightly or wrongly its simply part of the parcel of being crap, godees copped it , carlton same, the only salvation is moving up the ladder, sadly for us thsts in the distant future so the show goes on.

Was listening to some Carlton player on ABC this afternoon and he said it’s great to be winning games as a group. “In my first year we won 2 games”

I guess what I want from this rebuild is a belief that when we get back to Finals we are genuine contenders.

As much as 2014 and 15 were great, I think we all knew in our hearts we weren’t going to the last day in September

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Was listening to some Carlton player on ABC this afternoon and he said it’s great to be winning games as a group. “In my first year we won 2 games”

I guess what I want from this rebuild is a belief that when we get back to Finals we are genuine contenders.

As much as 2014 and 15 were great, I think we all knew in our hearts we weren’t going to the last day in September
Dropping easy games and then failing to make top 4. It hurt. Our fighting instinct was limited to getting revenge or giant killing. We often took the piss against easy beats and even when we put in the hard yards we often lacked the killer instinct to pile on the pain.

big_e

Existential crisis management consultant
Apr 28, 2008
Back Pocket
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Wycombe Wanderers

Dunno about that last bit. I distinctly remember packing my dacks at half-time in the 2015 prelim. We were in front, I had reserved my ticket to the grand final, and we had a kid due on the Monday. Desperately working out how to get from Perth to Melbourne and back in the least amount of time.

Also don't discount 2016. Absolutely flying at 10-1 and if we'd stayed fit, we were a decent chance. But once the wheels fell off, they've stayed off.

That all seems a long, long time ago.

zoomba23

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 17, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Barrett sounding for the first time in a long, long time like a dejected supporter of the club, rather than someone who's been given the green light to sink the boot studs in. While he's horrifically wrong on Aaron Hall (I can say firsthand that he was worth at least two goals our way in the Giants game, and to claim he doesn't help the team is ludicrous), there's some reasoned analysis there. He's bang on about 2016. Maybe the new lows we're reaching will finally take the malice out of him, who knows

Cancelled
Aug 4, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Going to avoid playing the man here, but I will say what sort of ethical standard does the league apply to its own media department. A guy on their payroll assassinating clubs and personnel in the leagues media releases. It's a disgrace.
I sent a complaint through to afl last year with these concerns exactly.
Start emailing everyone!

Dunno about that last bit. I distinctly remember packing my dacks at half-time in the 2015 prelim. We were in front, I had reserved my ticket to the grand final, and we had a kid due on the Monday. Desperately working out how to get from Perth to Melbourne and back in the least amount of time.

Also don't discount 2016. Absolutely flying at 10-1 and if we'd stayed fit, we were a decent chance. But once the wheels fell off, they've stayed off.

Its closer to 10 years than you think.

Between 2015 and 2016 we had a streak of 25 games where we won 20 and lost 5. Typical of Scott that he couldn't do that in one season!

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos

I am talking about the actual day

For example, who was going to contain Cyril, Smith, Gunston, and Hodge bouncing out of the backline kicking goals?

Shaun Atley? Gibbo? Sammy Wright?

As it turned out it, it was a hot 30 degree day let alone the trip back from Perth.

The result would have been no different to what the Eagles dished up.

What I am talking about is that next time Finals come around we are feeling the same level of confidence as 96, and 99. Not falling into the 8 or falling into a GF

Aug 6, 2021
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I somehow forgot to catch up on Caro's column last Saturday, so I'm only reading it now.
After the subsequent performance against Adelaide, the opening line hit hard:
That Geoff Walsh has been commandeered back to North Melbourne to conduct a month-long review of the underperforming football club does not bode well for David Noble and his future there.
One month! One whole month!
I know we want to do things right and we need have proper processes etc, but crikey.

Walsh’s return to North in a third reincarnation - he first joined the club almost three decades ago - might well be brief. He heads overseas at the start of August but could return by the start of September should he be required to help oversee the change that seems inevitable.

In other words, someone's given Caro the impression that whatever changes Walsh recommends, we shouldn't be expecting them to be implemented until after the H&A season is over. Good grief.

RHLK

Club Legend
Aug 3, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Subiaco
Brent Harvey delivered a personal message to JHF on the Hall of Fame stage, was Caro having a piss at the time?

Screen Shot 2022-06-27 at 2.25.18 pm.jpg

koshari

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 24, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne

exactly, you need to be good enough to put the result beyond a 50 50 umpire call.

exactly, you need to be good enough to put the result beyond a 50 50 umpire call.
In some cases 10 of them, at least in finals but yeah I agree. It would take a mammoth bad run during H&A for that to be the difference.

Whoever knows, please answer.

How is metres gained calculated? Is it pure guess work from statisticians?
Metres Gained: Net metres gained with the ball by a player, by running, kicking or handballing, combining measures towards attacking goal and away from defensive goal.

How is the distance calculation accurate? Is it a guess? How do they do it?

Given most players are linked up with GPS now days I’d think they are quite accurate with it

DuckYeah

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 5, 2010
Moist island
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Given most players are linked up with GPS now days I’d think they are quite accurate with it
No gps in the ball though. Thats fine to suggest how far a player runs with the pill. I’d like to know if they are guessing how far a handball and kicks travel.

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
No gps in the ball though. Thats fine to suggest how far a player runs with the pill. I’d like to know if they are guessing how far a handball and kicks travel.
Player A GPS point to Player B GPS point is as easy as I can explain. Look at the whole GPS connection of all players on both Teams.

SonofSamsquanch

Enjoy decent coffee but don't dunk yer biscuits
Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Well then.

Little Sammy Edmunds was fed leaks from Josh Fydenburg about the AFL wanting him as next CEO.

Turns out, Frydenburg wasn't approached. He was the one who asked for consideration.

Went through Lil' Sammy to float it in the public.
Josh desperate for a quid it seems. Who would have thought?

Last edited:

SonofSamsquanch

Enjoy decent coffee but don't dunk yer biscuits
Mar 31, 2016
Victoria
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Player A GPS point to Player B GPS point is as easy as I can explain. Look at the whole GPS connection of all players on both Teams.
I am uncertain about that (accurate) method. Fer instance, if a player kicks sideways, the ball may travel 30 or 40 metres but only one or two in the forward direction which would be the metres gained count. It may even go backwards and decrement the player's metres gained.

I think it's based on CD observers making judgements.

I'm sure DuckYeah is getting at the world record achieved by Hall, who by all accounts has the greatest metres gained accumulation in one game for any human being in history (a monumentous record) on the weekend. Possibly being concerned that some of the kicks were marked by opponents and came back at a rate of knots. But effective kicks is a different stat. And it's one that could be far better for North's backs and mids if there was some actual movement in the forward line!

Apr 7, 2013
Cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Atlanta Falcons
I am uncertain about that (accurate) method. Fer instance, if a player kicks sideways, the ball may travel 30 or 40 metres but only one or two in the forward direction which would be the metres gained count. It may even go backwards and decrement the player's metres gained.

I think it's based on CD observers making judgements.

I'm sure DuckYeah is getting at the world record achieved by Hall, who by all accounts has the greatest metres gained accumulation in one game for any human being in history (a monumentous record) on the weekend. Possibly being concerned that some of the kicks were marked by opponents and came back at a rate of knots. But effective kicks is a different stat. And it's one that could be far better for North's backs and mids if there was some actual movement in the forward line!
It's ball travelled forward

A kick backwards is deemed to be negative metres afaik and a 40m kick sideways that travels 5 metres forwards is 5m gained.

On SM-G991B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back