Opinion Commentary & Media VII

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course the little parasite has emboldened the nutbags and we as a collective are worse for it.

He didn't need to go as hard as he did on her for posting a photo with the cheer squad when we were getting pumped. It was to gain media clicks and re-ignite this fortnightly attack he likes to have on our Club.

The sad thing is whenever he isn't raising issues for clicks he actually isn't a terrible commentator.

The really sad thing is that the football community has forced a brilliant President off a medium in which she could engage with her fans.

Cornes looks scared as s**t during this exchange.

Caro kept giving him an out and Hutchy (of all people) sounded eloquent as he discussed the challenges to non-traditional figures entering and contributing to the game ... yet Cornes simply wasn't listening, repeating the same words over and over.

Shades of "it's not racist to boo Adam Goodes".

Interesting that replies are blocked for this post. Perhaps they fear that somebody might make a mean comment that hurts Cormes' or Loyd's feelings.

I can't stand Footy Classified, Caro, and Kane both collectively and individually. I also didn't read the recent commentary from old mate John M who has continued to make a goose of himself so I have no idea if its gender based.

But the reality is that engaging with the likes of John M, Tef, or any of these others is just a road to pain that any normal person should avoid and it appears Sonja has also chosen to.

As mentioned, I didn't see the commentary so I can't say if it is gender based but I do consume more than enough comments in posts to see that we have a decent number of blokes out there who have a very distorted view of women and their role in society.
I am not aware of any specific posts from John Millionis that could be considered gender-based criticism, but what he does that I think he has now come to regret doing is tag well-known people in on his sooky-la-la posts in an attempt to further his post reach. Then when the scumbags who follow him crawl out from under their rocks to respond with their idiotic opinions, the people who were tagged have their feed polluted with this trash. I imagine it's like suddenly stumbling onto 8Chan and discovering that all these disturbed individuals exist and they have you as their target of hate.

I am not aware of any specific posts from John Millionis that could be considered gender-based criticism, but what he does that I think he has now come to regret doing is tag well-known people in on his sooky-la-la posts in an attempt to further his post reach. Then when the scumbags who follow him crawl out from under their rocks to respond with their idiotic opinions, the people who were tagged have their feed polluted with this trash. I imagine it's like suddenly stumbling onto 8Chan and discovering that all these disturbed individuals exist and they have you as their target of hate.
Yeah, I don't follow John as I found his posts incredibly narcissistic but as I mentioned I wouldn't know if his commentary is gender based as I haven't read them.

If you're aware that he is regretful of his behaviour, then that's great. Also prefer that someone has an opportunity to change behaviour than to be cancelled forever going forward.

Sadly, Caro is correct with her commentary on gender based online abuse, even if what she links it to isn't always correct.

Simple ******* skill errors, wtf is this s**t? These mistakes should not be happening by AFL players.

Number 5 was more atrocious than that video shows. After McDonald's sub-amateur level spoil effort, Corr toe-poked it towards Geelong's goal to gift them the heartbreaker on the siren.

Find it very hard not to believe that these two aren’t deliberately trying to be disruptive, have hardly Tweeted about North since they left the club for the NBL then all of a sudden they are very opinionated.View attachment 1959375

I would have thought it'd be countered by those guaranteed wins down in Tassie

He does. And his denial of being the catalyst that triggered the abuse is (in my opinion) cowardly - he was the enabler who created the platform for the gutless responses. Wilson was lukewarm to his initial outburst but she didn't shut him down when she had the opportunity. In the more recent episode she again calls out that it was the Cornes commentary that created the platform for abuse but she allows him to backpedal his way out of it. Cornes has made his role on these shows by playing the mouthy aggressive antagonist (based on his love of American TV and radio role models) but he doesn't have the gonads to own the consequences that arose from his original position.

OK - he didn't create misogynism - people with those opinions and prejudices have always existed but Cornes has a prominent position within mainstream media and with that comes a certain responsibility, or at the very least, if even if he didn't mean to be misogynistic in the way he launched a few weeks back, he should have the courage to roll it back and to condemn those who jumped on the band wagon.

As for Lloyd... He may have been a good football player. He has no place in the media.

He does. And his denial of being the catalyst that triggered the abuse is (in my opinion) cowardly - he was the enabler who created the platform for the gutless responses. Wilson was lukewarm to his initial outburst but she didn't shut him down when she had the opportunity. In the more recent episode she again calls out that it was the Cornes commentary that created the platform for abuse but she allows him to backpedal his way out of it. Cornes has made his role on these shows by playing the mouthy aggressive antagonist (based on his love of American TV and radio role models) but he doesn't have the gonads to own the consequences that arose from his original position.

OK - he didn't create misogynism - people with those opinions and prejudices have always existed but Cornes has a prominent position within mainstream media and with that comes a certain responsibility, or at the very least, if even if he didn't mean to be misogynistic in the way he launched a few weeks back, he should have the courage to roll it back and to condemn those who jumped on the band wagon.

As for Lloyd... He may have been a good football player. He has no place in the media.
I’m female and I don’t think Kane has to back off his criticism just because someone is female. As long as his comments aren’t gender based and from what I’ve seen I don’t think Kane comes from that angle. He’s not responsible for some of the misogynistic, moron, f$&kwit men out there.

Caro kept giving him an out and Hutchy (of all people) sounded eloquent as he discussed the challenges to non-traditional figures entering and contributing to the game ... yet Cornes simply wasn't listening, repeating the same words over and over.

Shades of "it's not racist to boo Adam Goodes".

God that was annoying to watch. Hutchy surprised me with his insight and reflection. Cornes backed up by Lloyd was just completely defensive and wilfully missing the point. Caro also surprised me by saying a few times that she reflects on how when she goes hard she empowers trolls (maybe she will lay off our entire club in that case haha probably not).

I’m female and I don’t think Kane has to back off his criticism just because someone is female. As long as his comments aren’t gender based and from what I’ve seen I don’t think Kane comes from that angle. He’s not responsible for some of the misogynistic, moron, f$&kwit men out there.
He doesn’t and he isn’t. But he was so focused on defending himself that he avoided a reasonable question - does he ever worry that even if he isn’t going down that road, his hot controversialist takes do seem to draw out some people who cross the line?

I can expect a couple in a game and to be fair to fish, killing that ball is a 50/50. Wont hang him for that, would have been nice to see him show some desperation for the jumper though.

I want to see simple skills, it’s fundamental s*t, should be autonomous for an AFL players to PICK THE ****** PILL UP or hit a 20 metre target under no pressure or take a simple as * over head mark.

We are literally beating ourselves.

The above is squarely on the players. Not the coach.
The only good thing is that these mistakes are so elementary, you’d have to think they can be fixed. Watching LDU make two ridiculous mistakes in the space of give seconds, that turned a near certain goal to us into a Geelong goal ten seconds later, is a case in point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He doesn’t and he isn’t. But he was so focused on defending himself that he avoided a reasonable question - does he ever worry that even if he isn’t going down that road, his hot controversialist takes do seem to draw out some people who cross the line?
Again, I don’t think that’s his responsibility, it’s his opinion on football. Not meaningful world issues. Football. Let’s be honest, these misogynistic, weak men don’t need Kane Cornes to find an excuse to go down the gender abuse track.

I always find this women's role in football quite bizarre.

As a kid, I was taken to the footy by my mum and nan. My mum always took me to my junior footy and stayed and encouraged (read yell at me).

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
Yes, they do the hard yards! Some men just can’t cope with women in senior roles in a ‘man’s world’. Poor things.

The only good thing is that these mistakes are so elementary, you’d have to think they can be fixed. Watching LDU make two ridiculous mistakes in the space of give seconds, that turned a near certain goal to us into a Geelong goal ten seconds later, is a case in point.
I know the team can play good footy. Just shooting themselves in the foot by poor skills. Basic, fundamental, under 16’s s**t

I just caught the end of Dwayne Russell referencing an interview Ben McKay did on SEN this morning whereby Ben alluded to the fact that Essendon’s senior players put more effort in than ours ie more professional. Anyone catch it? I’m interested!

I just caught the end of Dwayne Russell referencing an interview Ben McKay did on SEN this morning whereby Ben alluded to the fact that Essendon’s senior players put more effort in than ours ie more professional. Anyone catch it? I’m interested!

He was 25 we had a list full of kids, had he wanted to change that he could have, by being what the change he wanted. I wonder how Goldy would take that because any criticism of North senior players surely would at least in part be pointed towards the guy who was the oldest player on our list last year?

Reeks of hands up I don't need to take accountability for my actions it was everyone else.

Brad Scott will suit him down to the ground.

He was 25 we had a list full of kids, had he wanted to change that he could have, by being what the change he wanted. I wonder how Goldy would take that because any criticism of North senior players surely would at least in part be pointed towards the guy who was the oldest player on our list last year?

Reeks of hands up I don't need to take accountability for my actions it was everyone else.

McKay seems like a true tosser to me

I haven’t heard the interview but from what I heard Dwayne say it was a comment along the lines that Essendon’s senior players are prepared to watch a lot of videos etc.

It also takes me back to Barlow’s comments pre Geelong game where he said we’re an introverted group. That alone makes things even more difficult because they would be reluctant to take each other to task when required.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back