FTA-TV Commentator History (database)

Remove this Banner Ad

Well I'm not 100% sure on the time that the Dockers-Swans match was 10:10pm AEST because the AFL Tables website has not been entirely accurate with their match times at least for early 90's matches because the times published on the website didn't closely match up with the times published in the newspaper previews and in the TV guides of the time. In those, the actual time of a match would be two hours earlier for example than the AFL Tables published version for WA matches, most likely because of the confusion with the differing time zones between the east and the west, e.g. a game was published to be played at 4:50pm AWST when it was actually 4:50pm AEST, which is what happened with the Eagles-Bombers game from earlier in the year you'll see below. Anyway, I don't doubt at the moment that the Dockers-Swans game may well have been played that much later in 1999, but I do need to look into the newspapers on microfilm to confirm the time of that game.

I did manage to get an example of a selected week of telecasts aired in Melbourne through HSV-7 from that season while looking through the Web Archive website. It came from Round 4, and the schedule went something like this:

Friday
Demons-Hawks (8:30pm) delayed

Saturday
AFL Today (5pm) - highlights of Saints-Bulldogs, Magpies-Tigers, and Blues-Dockers
Swans-Kangaroos (7:30pm) live
Lions-Crows (10:30pm) delayed

Sunday
Power-Cats (2pm) live
Eagles-Bombers (4:50pm) live
with eagles bombers was there a longer half time for the news?

was that game hawks cats seen in full in melbourne? i would think so with the late start in perth

Well yes the Hawks-Cats match was broadcast in full in Melbourne, a delayed telecast I would say because the game was played at Waverley. As above, the AFL Today program showing highlights of matches from the afternoon would have been shown at 5pm, so the room was certainly there in Seven's broadcast schedule for a full telecast of this match.

with eagles bombers was there a longer half time for the news?

Well I've just looked up the broadcast times from here in Tassie for Southern Cross of that match, and from those times, the news would have been reduced to 25 minutes, but yes there apparently was a longer half time before the coverage returned at 6:25pm for the second half. So the same should apply for Melbourne viewers as well through Seven.

it says the swans dockers was on at 11.15pm in melbourne so i guess the hawks cats game was delayed but what about the rest of the network lie tasimina?

would have sa gotten lions crows live? same thing with swans kangaroos in nsw and vic? was lions crows seen live on paytv?

Last edited:
Well I've just looked up the broadcast times from here in Tassie for Southern Cross of that match, and from those times, the news would have been reduced to 25 minutes, but yes there apparently was a longer half time before the coverage returned at 6:25pm for the second half. So the same should apply for Melbourne viewers as well through Seven.
was it hot in perth that day too?

would have sa gotten lions crows live? same thing with swans kangaroos in nsw and vic? was lions crows seen live on paytv?

I would think the Lions-Crows match was seen live in SA because it was a Crows away game and the Crows game would have been top priority for SA viewers with the Swans-Kangaroos match broadcast later. As for NSW, I'm not quite sure on that. Obviously the game would have had a delayed broadcast to Sydney viewers, but whether it was broadcast first with an hour delay or thereabouts, or whether it was broadcast second behind the Lions-Crows match is what I'm unsure about at the moment.

I don't know if the Lions-Crows match was broadcast live on pay TV. The papers and the Web Archive don't go as far as to point out when matches are broadcast on the C7 Sport channel during the weekend around the country. I hope that resource will be there somewhere, but I haven't got any answers to that.

so tas got more games then vic? or same thing as vic to protect local footy?

Well I wouldn't say more games than Victoria, I think we mostly had two games less than Victoria, only we had full match telecasts in all except for Saturday afternoon matches during the home and away season and some finals to protect our local footy and perhaps a shortened replay of the later games on Saturday nights for much of the season.

protecting local footy was the reason you never saw a interstate game on saturday afternoons?

Yeah not until 4:30pm anyway for a delayed second half telecast, and particularly when TFL matches were played and when the TFL was broadcast live on the ABC in Tasmania that afternoon, you had to be careful if you were organising the day's programs on Southern Cross that you didn't make a live AFL telecast clash with a live TFL telecast and other TFL matches played that afternoon, or else local footy would suffer further than it eventually did towards the end of the 90's.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

you know this year we will go from protecting local footy to having "Super Saturday" with all six games live

Well it certainly feels like it. Seven Melbourne and Southern Cross in Tasmania are that disrespectful about Saturday afternoon footy these days that they'll not only put the telecast against the local leagues, and they'll not only give us a crappy commentary team led by Hamish and Basil, but they'll also continue to provide the telecast on delay from 3pm when it'll be broadcast live on Fox Footy and it'll actually be played at 1:45pm. It's just disgraceful.

but fox footy will have sandy roberts dwyane russell and anthoy hudson and matthew campbell on the other games

Exactly, the quality of commentators that FTA is so obviously missing out on. Sandy and Huddo in particular are among my favourite commentators too.

At least in Melbourne from this season, Seven will have the live VFL to cover for the three hours prior to the delayed AFL coverage. Tasmanians I assume won't have that coverage, and especially when a lot of local footy fans here have lost interest in the state league, TV stations here are not likely to pick up the TSL coverage again for quite some time at least after the ABC's coverage of the state league ended in 2011.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back