FTA-TV Commentator History (database)

Remove this Banner Ad

daniel anderson

Senior List
Jan 27, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
might ask in the 2000s was it awlays commons for all melbourne stations to cover the same game? is that why now they have a and b package

swans9605

Debutant
Apr 28, 2010
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Clarence
i looked at a preview and it was on 774 in melbourne
radio has some good ones too like tim lane adam white tony lenoard nathan brown the 6pr giys and jb

Oh yeah, ABC 774 must have been like Seven and broadcast this game straight after the earlier game.

Yeah exactly, Sandy Roberts, Peter Donegan and Rexy on Crocmedia's AFL Live, and Matt Granland on SEN is a pretty good commentator as well.

I personally highly rate Alister Nicholson who commentates for ABC Radio and is based in Brisbane. I first watched him on TV when he was a sports presenter on WIN Local News here in Tassie. He went over to the ABC afterwards to be a journalist, commentate Devils home games in the VFL, and commentate and host the ABC's TSL football coverage in 2009 and 2010 before moving to the sunshine state. I think he should be the sort of commentator that Seven should go after to regain lost ground in their commentary team. He'd be 100 times better than the Hamish and Basil show would ever hope to be.

swans9605

Debutant
Apr 28, 2010
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Clarence
might ask in the 2000s was it awlays commons for all melbourne stations to cover the same game? is that why now they have a and b package
question in 2000 when there were sunday night game did seven show the sunday night movie or the the game?

Well I can't say for sure, but by the 2000s, I believe it would have been pretty common for at least three Melbourne radio stations to cover the same game.

Well I don't currently have an answer to the Sunday night situation, but I do remember watching the first Sunday night game of the premiership season on Southern Cross between the Saints and the Swans at Docklands, and that was the only game for the whole day, so there wouldn't have been any movie during prime time on that night in Tassie. Not sure about Seven Melbourne though, I think it would have been seen at some stage during the night, but I'm not sure whether the movie or the football came first over there.

daniel anderson

Senior List
Jan 27, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
i remember back in 2002 when eddie was doing a collingwood port he was very bias towards the magpies but i was also listening to the call via 5aa eddie would scream every time the magpies scored a goal and then KG and co on 5AA would do the same thing when the power scored a goal it was funny

Jan 30, 2004
bentleigh
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawthorn
Oh yeah, ABC 774 must have been like Seven and broadcast this game straight after the earlier game.

Yeah exactly, Sandy Roberts, Peter Donegan and Rexy on Crocmedia's AFL Live, and Matt Granland on SEN is a pretty good commentator as well.

I personally highly rate Alister Nicholson who commentates for ABC Radio and is based in Brisbane. I first watched him on TV when he was a sports presenter on WIN Local News here in Tassie. He went over to the ABC afterwards to be a journalist, commentate Devils home games in the VFL, and commentate and host the ABC's TSL football coverage in 2009 and 2010 before moving to the sunshine state. I think he should be the sort of commentator that Seven should go after to regain lost ground in their commentary team. He'd be 100 times better than the Hamish and Basil show would ever hope to be.
Is he the Alastair Nicholson who played at Melbourne in the early 200"s?

daniel anderson

Senior List
Jan 27, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
i remember watching the kangaroos bombers game in 2001 but listening also to the ABC feed of west coast vs gellong and anytime that wally foreman got an update from the mcg he was shocked at how good the game was

(Log in to remove this ad.)

daniel anderson

Senior List
Jan 27, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
might also add brett sprigg did a game at subi last year while the regulars were doing the commonwealth games? was on abc with corbin?

Connar

Team Captain
May 29, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Fremantle AFLW Team.
Over in Perth I have looked at a lot of FTA TV Guides on Microfilm 1997.

Round 9, Sunday's Games:

10:30am - Brisbane v Geelong
1:30pm - St Kilda v Richmond?
4:30pm - West Coast v Essendon 1st Half
6:00pm - News
6:30pm - West Coast v Essendon 2nd Half

Round 20, Sunday's Games:

10:30am - Sydney v Hawthorn
1:30pm - Adelaide v Western Bulldogs?

Finals W1:

Saturday's Games:

12:00pm - QF Western Bulldogs v Sydney

Sunday's Games:

10:30am - QF Adelaide v West Coast
1:30pm - QF St Kilda v Brisbane
5:00pm - QF Geelong v North Melbourne 1st Half
6:30pm - News
6:50pm - QF Geelong v North Melbourne 2nd Half

I also notice that Saturday Night Games were not broadcasted until 8:30pm at the Time.

I have seen on a VHS Tape there is a Post-Game Show of Semi Final 1999 between Carlton v West Coast.

Last edited:

Connar

Team Captain
May 29, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Fremantle AFLW Team.
Peter Landy did his last game in commentary in 1999, and it was the qualifying final between the Kangaroos and the Power.

The Semi Final 1999 Carlton v West Coast was called by Dennis & KB & also Mick McGuane & Richard Osborne on Boundary. Landy hosted the Replay (I think) of Preliminary Final 1999 Essendon v Carlton (That Game was Magnificent) in a studio & also hosted the GF Marathon in 2001.

Connar

Team Captain
May 29, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Fremantle AFLW Team.
Well I'm not 100% sure on the time that the Dockers-Swans match was 10:10pm AEST because the AFL Tables website has not been entirely accurate with their match times at least for early 90's matches because the times published on the website didn't closely match up with the times published in the newspaper previews and in the TV guides of the time. In those, the actual time of a match would be two hours earlier for example than the AFL Tables published version for WA matches, most likely because of the confusion with the differing time zones between the east and the west, e.g. a game was published to be played at 4:50pm AWST when it was actually 4:50pm AEST, which is what happened with the Eagles-Bombers game from earlier in the year you'll see below. Anyway, I don't doubt at the moment that the Dockers-Swans game may well have been played that much later in 1999, but I do need to look into the newspapers on microfilm to confirm the time of that game.

I did manage to get an example of a selected week of telecasts aired in Melbourne through HSV-7 from that season while looking through the Web Archive website. It came from Round 4, and the schedule went something like this:

Friday
Demons-Hawks (8:30pm) delayed

Saturday
AFL Today (5pm) - highlights of Saints-Bulldogs, Magpies-Tigers, and Blues-Dockers
Swans-Kangaroos (7:30pm) live
Lions-Crows (10:30pm) delayed

Sunday
Power-Cats (2pm) live
Eagles-Bombers (4:50pm) live

Wasn't the St Kilda v Bulldogs Game shown in Full? Because I have seen the Intro for that Game. What is the name of the Archive Website?

swans9605

Debutant
Apr 28, 2010
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Clarence
Wasn't the St Kilda v Bulldogs Game shown in Full? Because I have seen the Intro for that Game. What is the name of the Archive Website?

Yes the game was shown in full, and that intro of the game was shown for other parts of Australia that broadcast the game live. It also says on the website that the Saints-Bulldogs game was telecast live into Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide and Darwin, hence the intro at the start.

The website is web.archive.org, from there you just type in afl.com.au in the address bar that appears on the page, then click on 1999, and click on any circled date in April, doesn't really matter, and once the website appears, scroll down and find TV times, click on the link, and it'll take you to the broadcast times for the Seven stations around the country. You could also click for Prime TV, other regional TV, and even international TV times there. It's very interesting stuff.

swans9605

Debutant
Apr 28, 2010
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Clarence
The Semi Final 1999 Carlton v West Coast was called by Dennis & KB & also Mick McGuane & Richard Osborne on Boundary. Landy hosted the Replay (I think) of Preliminary Final 1999 Essendon v Carlton (That Game was Magnificent) in a studio & also hosted the GF Marathon in 2001.

Yes Peter Landy did indeed host that replay from the studio, in fact there's a clip on YouTube showing him hosting the replay as he's going over the three quarter time score and introducing the last quarter of what was in my view one of the most epic finals footy matches ever, also a couple of clips of him hosting that GF marathon, great times indeed.

daniel anderson

Senior List
Jan 27, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
so seven showed a movie while c7 had the dockers crows game live? this was from the afl tv guide?

Last edited:

daniel anderson

Senior List
Jan 27, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Yes Peter Landy did indeed host that replay from the studio, in fact there's a clip on YouTube showing him hosting the replay as he's going over the three quarter time score and introducing the last quarter of what was in my view one of the most epic finals footy matches ever, also a couple of clips of him hosting that GF marathon, great times indeed.
i have always thought landy did pbp for that game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back