Commentators don't like the booing of essendon at 1/4 time. Thoughts?

Remove this Banner Ad

Get off your high horse will ya.

These players (just like the players from every other club) only have a job that they get paid 100s of thousands for, precisely because the fans pay for memberships/game attendance etc, so if they players aren’t putting in the required effort then they deserve to get booed.

It’s not the fans of any club that are the entitled ones, it’s the players thinking they can get paid so handsomely to do a job yet not put in the effort to do it.

If these players gave that kind of effort in any other job they’d find themselves in the unemployment line pretty damn fast, so booing players who show they can’t be stuffed doing their job is definitely appropriate.
That's rubbish, and you know it. Or you should. Memberships add bells and whistles to a club, they don't pay for the players to play. The players are employed by the AFL. Stop paying your membership and turning up. Like I have said previously, no club would care if you were not there harrassing your own team. The AFL get their money from the media rights, so stay at home and boo all you like - I don't have a problem with that. Or stop watching entirely, the advertisers are unlikely to care that a couple of thousand disgruntled viewers have dropped off.

Ticket holders of any sort are not as important in the grand scheme as they think.

Every single one of these blokes would land in the VFL or similar if they lost their "job". Not one of those fans booing ever did make it that far, I am willing to bet, so none of them know what sort of job the players are doing.

I mean, sure, express your displeasure - but throwing a tantrum like a kid won't get your message across. It might demoralise your kids further, but is that probably what you want? I don't know, you tell me what the intent behind it is.

That's rubbish, and you know it. Or you should. Memberships add bells and whistles to a club, they don't pay for the players to play. The players are employed by the AFL. Stop paying your membership and turning up. Like I have said previously, no club would care if you were not there harrassing your own team. The AFL get their money from the media rights, so stay at home and boo all you like - I don't have a problem with that. Or stop watching entirely, the advertisers are unlikely to care that a couple of thousand disgruntled viewers have dropped off.

Ticket holders of any sort are not as important in the grand scheme as they think.

Every single one of these blokes would land in the VFL or similar if they lost their "job". Not one of those fans booing ever did make it that far, I am willing to bet, so none of them know what sort of job the players are doing.

I mean, sure, express your displeasure - but throwing a tantrum like a kid won't get your message across. It might demoralise your kids further, but is that probably what you want? I don't know, you tell me what the intent behind it is.

Firstly, clubs make good money from attendance, especially if it’s homeground. Second clubs certainly do make heaps of money through memberships, consider a membership of 100 bucks, now times that by 50k or more, see how much money that brings into a club.

Like I said, players are employees, they get paid to do a job, and a requirement of that job is to give the required effort on gameday.

Lastly you ask what is the intent behind booing, the intent is to show the club that it’s unacceptable for players to not put in the effort that the job requires.
Whether or not the team or players are good enough is a matter that can be addressed during the week and year, but the minimum requirement is that every player go out on the field and give their best effort during a game regardless if they win or lose. And when that doesn’t happen then the fans have every right to boo to send a message to the club!

Firstly, clubs make good money from attendance, especially if it’s homeground. Second clubs certainly do make heaps of money through memberships, consider a membership of 100 bucks, now times that by 50k or more, see how much money that brings into a club.

Like I said, players are employees, they get paid to do a job, and a requirement of that job is to give the required effort on gameday.

Lastly you ask what is the intent behind booing, the intent is to show the club that it’s unacceptable for players to not put in the effort that the job requires.
Whether or not the team or players are good enough is a matter that can be addressed during the week and year, but the minimum requirement is that every player go out on the field and give their best effort during a game regardless if they win or lose. And when that doesn’t happen then the fans have every right to boo to send a message to the club!
Still not getting it, are you?

You members are irrelevant to the players being employed. Your club can't fire them for not playing to your expectations. Neither can you.

Clubs don't employ the players, the AFL does, that is how they enterprise bargain.

The AFL is not dependent on your membership money. Your money entitles you to nothing - you are not their employer, they do not work for you.

Regarding your last point on intent - that is your best attempt at communication? Yeah, not on from an adult to all those other supposed adults. Learn to use your words, mate. The days of beating clubs and waving torches are over.

Still not getting it, are you?

You members are irrelevant to the players being employed. Your club can't fire them for not playing to your expectations. Neither can you.

Clubs don't employ the players, the AFL does, that is how they enterprise bargain.

The AFL is not dependent on your membership money. Your money entitles you to nothing - you are not their employer, they do not work for you.

Regarding your last point on intent - that is your best attempt at communication? Yeah, not on from an adult to all those other supposed adults. Learn to use your words, mate. The days of beating clubs and waving torches are over.

Its you that don’t get it mate.

Fans and members are the customer, they have every right to boo the players/club if they aren’t getting their money’s worth for what they are paying for.

And the minimum of what they are paying for is for the players of each club to give their best effort on the field.

You don’t like it then get rid of the customers and see how long the clubs or even the AFL lasts without any customers lol

Its you that don’t get it mate.

Fans and members are the customer, they have every right to boo the players/club if they aren’t getting their money’s worth for what they are paying for.

And the minimum of what they are paying for is for the players of each club to give their best effort on the field.

You don’t like it then get rid of the customers and see how long the clubs or even the AFL lasts without any customers lol
See, there just aren't that many bad sports running around that boo for it to be a significant threat. Most people are like me, they want to be able to watch the game without some bunch of idiots making the game about them.

It is only a matter of time before the AFL does the numbers. Clubs will be given the ultimatum, fans keep it civil or they are banned. And it will be a good thing for the majority of us - including the millions trying to watch the game with their kids at home.

Let me get this straight, because my moral compass is a bit shaky. When Bombers players go on the biggest doping rampage in the history of world sport, their fans don't boo them, but when they lose a game to the Saints by 11 points, they do. What am I missing? Here's some other things Bombers fans can boo if they feel the need:
Brett Rosebury
Brendan Hosking
Andrew Stephens
Jimmy Webster
Nathan Brown
Shane Savage
Jack Newnes
Josh Battle
Daniel McKenzie
Jarryn Geary
Jack Sinclair
Jack Billings
Dean Kent
Josh Bruce
Matthew Parker
Jack Lonie
Tim Membrey
Jade Gresham
Rowan Marshall
Jack Steele
Sebastian Ross
Jack Steven
Luke Dunstan
Blake Acres
Callum Wilkie
Allan Richardson
The security guy who molests you as you try to walk into the ground
The guy who plays the crap music through the PA
The kiss cam camera man
The guy who says '10 dollars please' when you buy a beer
Gil (if he's there)
Hocking (if he's there)
Boring Hollywood celebrities (if they're there)
The guy who maintains the turf (if he's there)
The Triple M commentary box (because the cause of your current malaise is sitting in it)

The whole AFL commentator narrative of 'you should never boo players no matter what' is completely driven by the AFLPA.

They are on a mission to put AFL players on a pedestal where the plebs have no right in any way to criticise AFL players.

When it comes to treatment of their own players, Bombers fans are basically animals. Remember when they were booing Stanton, a few years back, and then cheered when he went off concussed?

I don't think I can recall a game where Hawthorn fans have booed off their own players. Is this a "olden days big 4" issue? Do fans of these clubs have an expectation that they are entitled to a certain level of performance from their players, and if they don't receive it, it is fair game to boo them? Seems "boo at your own team" incidents do seem to be more highly clustered in the big 4 teams compared to the rest.

there's an overt kind of cleanness to most television commentary. praise as much as possible whenever possible.
are the booing comments upholding this 'nice' natured commentary, or is there a kind of disconnect for commentators to learn that players may deserve criticism, when they spend a lot of their time verbally fellating them? or are they sticking up for their football brothers?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

See, there just aren't that many bad sports running around that boo for it to be a significant threat. Most people are like me, they want to be able to watch the game without some bunch of idiots making the game about them.

It is only a matter of time before the AFL does the numbers. Clubs will be given the ultimatum, fans keep it civil or they are banned. And it will be a good thing for the majority of us - including the millions trying to watch the game with their kids at home.

How do you think the clubs or the AFL can police booing? Lol

50-100k in a stadium, how do you enforce anti-booing? How do you find the people booing to ban them? What if half the stadium is booing, you going to ban 25-50k fans/members?

What if clubs and AFL criticise booing and then fans do it inspire if the criticism, what happens then?

Nah, the clubs and AFL will do what any business with a good business model will do, try to keep as many customers as happy as they can.

And that will mean that clubs will do what they have always done if the dissatisfaction of fans continues, they’ll either replace the coach or certain players that aren’t giving the required effort.

Lastly, if fans are cheering goals and good pieces of play/good efforts, then it’s only fair that fans also get to show displeasure at the bad things as well.

I think fans pay the money to go watch and they can boo a shit effort if they want. They are the ones who have wasted their afternoon and money on watching what they consider to be an unacceptable effort. If there's that many of them booing, maybe they aren't wrong.

90% of the commentators are ex footballers and trash as commentators on a million bucks a year and should consider themselves lucky to have a job at all.
I agree with this 100%

I'm sick of overpaid c**ts in the media telling me how I should behave and what i should and shouldn't do

They should look in their own backyard and take care of their own business. i.e. do their jobs properly and not pollute the airwaves with their sensationalism and faux-controversy.

The whole narrative of AFL media, including current, past and irrelevant players and journalists, is that the general public are a bunch of dumb campaigners who have no bloody clue about football and should hold all players and AFL accredited media in extremely high regard. Just a massive boys club with complete contempt for the masses that provide their exsistance.

The flogs live in ivory towers and were once former players themselves. Do they not understand people pay good money to boo players? We need booing in sport

Remove this Banner Ad

Back