Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

PerthBoy86

Norm Smith Medallist
May 23, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Does it seem to you that commentators these days are a lot more enthusiastic, boisterous, expressive, dramatic, passionate, loud than in the old days? It depends on who, of course. Like Bruce has always been moreso than Denn, but some of the commentators like Huddo and some of the Fox Footy ones (not too familiar with them) and others I forget the names of, really get into it.

I usually don't have a problem with it, I think it adds a bit more drama to the game. In the old days it was maybe a little too muted and matter of fact, sometimes like they were calling bingo numbers, even during major events, although there was still some of that, but lately I'm finding it's getting a bit over the top and excessive...for instance, even when a team is sort of kicking from half back and has a slim chance of moving it through the corridor for a goal, the commentator's voice rises in pitch and volume considerably, and I don't know, it's almost like manipulative in a weird way. It's also irritating how they seem to fawn over certain players.

It's not a biggie, and yes, I know I can always turn it off (but it's not a big enough deal to). But from a psychology point of view, interesting to sort of wonder how commentators affect our perception of the game. If the game is a film, they're almost like the soundtrack. I see some epic matches as having all the twists and turns as a drama, but it's sort of a strange mix of real life and 'fiction.' Sometimes I feel watching on TV is more dramatic than live. The commentators, the camera angles, just the whole spectacle. Sometimes I actually find it more enjoyable to watch on TV. It does lack the crowd atmosphere though.

So commentators shouldn't use emotion? what is this thread?

You've got 3 threads on the main board, and they are all terrible. stop it.

Oh and change your profile picture.

Did you even read the thread? That wasn't what I was saying at all.

I signed up via fb, that's what it put up there, and what's wrong with it anyway?

You try and start some discussions and you get smug members who think they own the board putting you down...

Did you even read the thread? That wasn't what I was saying at all.

I signed up via fb, that's what it put up there, and what's wrong with it anyway?

You try and start some discussions and you get smug members who think they own the board putting you down...

Started many threads sir, but not every time a thought pops into my head.

Started many threads sir, but not every time a thought pops into my head.

I like starting threads, I don't want to create duplicate threads though, but sometimes not everything comes up in searches. I'll probably post fewer anyway, which will probably satisfy you, not that that's why I'm doing so.

Anyway let's try to look towards this Sunday. Important match to win.

I like starting threads, I don't want to create duplicate threads though, but sometimes not everything comes up in searches. I'll probably post fewer anyway, which will probably satisfy you, not that that's why I'm doing so.

Good thing you started this thread on commentators then. Don't think its ever been discussed anywhere.

bruce-delish-628.gif

(Log in to remove this ad.)

More of a problem is they talk to much s**t and are s**t and give me the shits

I think the point others are making is not one thread has been original and you could have offered your opinions in each of them, rather than copy old discussions.

Agree 100% - it's all about keeping the viewers 'up' for the entirety of a game. Need to take a leaf out of NBA caller's books to call what they see and let the action speak for itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back