Roast Commentators

Burning bright

Senior List
May 28, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Watched the replay and the most insightful and prophetic comment of the game came from Mr James Brayshaw, early in the third quarter.

'Here comes Dusty on his left he's got four and is tearing another final to bits'

Indeed he did JB and will continue to rip the oppo's a new hole during the final series.

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
Watched the replay and the most insightful and prophetic comment of the game came from Mr James Brayshaw, early in the third quarter.

'Here comes Dusty on his left he's got four and is tearing another final to bits'

Indeed he did JB and will continue to rip the oppo's a new hole during the final series.

I don't mind JB, at least he has a sense of humour and appreciates good footy, not overly biased with any North comments too!
Take note Richo!

Richie Benaud's 8 rules for commentating would go a long way in the 7 and foxtel boxes

1. Never ask for a statement.
  2. Remember the value of a pause.
  3. There are no teams in the world called 'we' or 'they'.
  4. Avoid cliches and banalities, such as 'he's hit that to the boundary', 'he won't want to get out now', 'of course', 'as you can see on the screen'.
  5. The Titanic was a tragedy, the Ethiopian drought a disaster, and neither bears any relation to a dropped catch.
  6. Put your brain into gear before opening your mouth.
  7. Concentrate fiercely at all times.
  8. Above all, don't take yourself too seriously, and have fun.

Dear old Tommy Hafey struggled with rule 3 sometimes but I think everyone loved him anyway.

Richo has done his 2 years impartiality clause. Needs to harden up a bit. We all love him too, so he can call it how he sees it.

This x100.

The victim complex in this thread is ridiculous. I swear half this board thinks every single person in the media hates Richmond. People have loved the Brisbane story this year, they did the exact same thing for us in 2017. The media isn't biased against us, the commentators aren't biased against us. They do the same thing every game, they love it when an upset happens, they always will try and justify why the game might still be alive etc. They do the same thing for us and every team.

The commentators always rave about us, Dusty, Vlas, Grimes, Rance, Cotch, Jack, Edwards, Stack, our system, the tiger army etc.
It’s also on the best interest of their employers for them to sell the story. People get shitty when say a BT pumps up the forlorn comeback attempt but they have to. It also amazes me that people are loud and proud about having 100k+ members and fair enough, but it’s not rocket science to understand that to create discussion and interest among the big supporter bases you have to talk about them a lot ..good, bad or indifferent.

Never notice an anti Richmond bias in commentary. I'm not saying a lot of commentators aren't s**t at commentating, but I think to say they actively barrack against us is a bit precious. Almost as bad as WC fans constantly talking about a vic bias. There is nothing wrong with wanting to see an underdog get up if you are neutral and even if they aren't the most exciting callers with the greatest insight, it's not like they really did anything to indicate they were desperate for us to lose. Every footy fan feels their team is hard done by and every footy fan is basically always off the mark by a while. Can we not just enjoy something?

As a wise man once said "harden up"
One of my best mates is from Perth and mad west coast. When I went over in December to go to the cricket with him mates were going on about how much I must have hated the fact that they are the premiers! Victorians hate it!!
The look on their faces when I told them the plain truth that they are kidding themselves and that nearly all Victorians were rapt and barracking for them was priceless.
They thought I was taking the piss when I was saying nobody cares and everyone hates Collingwood much more. They were genuinely spewing.

Pretty sure in 2017 we were 'the story' as we plunged into September full of momentum - after 37 years waiting.
Last year was all about Bucks and the Pies
So this year the love is for the Lions and 'Fages' because he is such a good bloke and media love his warm open style - they are pissed off the Tigers keep raining on their feel good story of the year.

We smashed em - doubled their score FFS
But apparently scoreboard is less important than possessions, scoring shots etc... :cool:

JAKLAUGHING

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆
Nov 20, 2008
Vilnius
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TASMANIAN DEBILS!!!
Dear old Tommy Hafey struggled with rule 3 sometimes but I think everyone loved him anyway.

Richo has done his 2 years impartiality clause. Needs to harden up a bit. We all love him too, so he can call it how he sees it.
HAHAHAHAHHHAHAHAaaaaaaaaaaa love it!

Jul 16, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Fighting Furies
Jonathan bloody Brown. It's like they dragged someone out of Caveman ages and plonked him in front of a microphone.

Whenever I hear him talk I always imagine him grunting and furiously beating his chests.

Jun 28, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
One of my best mates is from Perth and mad west coast. When I went over in December to go to the cricket with him mates were going on about how much I must have hated the fact that they are the premiers! Victorians hate it!!
The look on their faces when I told them the plain truth that they are kidding themselves and that nearly all Victorians were rapt and barracking for them was priceless.
They thought I was taking the piss when I was saying nobody cares and everyone hates Collingwood much more. They were genuinely spewing.

Interstate fans seem to have this odd notion that all victorian team supporters default to victorian teams winning when their team isnt in the finals because we love victoria and hate interstate teams

which is odd because if Richmond arent winning the flag i want it to go to an interstate team so i dont have to hear about the premiers over summer.

w

Yeah the West Aussies have this idea that everyone "over east" hates them when in actual fact it's like "what, people actually live on the other side of the Nullarbor?" 😜

Burning bright

Senior List
May 28, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
I don't mind JB, at least he has a sense of humour and appreciates good footy, not overly biased with any North comments too!
Take note Richo!
Richo was terribly disappointing when in the Gelool match he memed Townsend with a head explosion giving a fifty away when the game was well and truly over he was the only player who was physical in that match and wanted to let the little handbagger know about it

Richo needs to lift I agree he thinks by acting as a tease pony gets him a media pass

No_Spoke

Team Captain
Nov 7, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
3a2479.jpg

AuntyBlindEye

Slick Bear
Chess Club Member EKA Medal - Sweet FA Rising Star BeanCoiNFT Investor
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Yeah it's a pretty foreign concept to them. Not being hated. I was so happy when they won.

This Is Anfield

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Podcaster
Feb 25, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool, England, Furies
AFL commentators actively barrack for sides and sometimes it's Richmond and often it's not.
On Saturday Ling and Darcy were on the Brisbane train and it was obvious.
JB was good, I thought.
Annoying at the time but a 47 point away win in a QF renders them all irrelevant.

Think today’s events should put all this in perspective. People get so carried away with their feelings towards harmless commentary about a game with some pretty vitriolic stuff about commentators.
And then real life happens to one and you realize it’s stupid.

4tune8

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Think today’s events should put all this in perspective. People get so carried away with their feelings towards harmless commentary about a game with some pretty vitriolic stuff about commentators.
And then real life happens to one and you realize it’s stupid.
Agreed Rodney....if you don't like it hit the mute button, if you don't like reading s**t reporters in the papers then don't buy them, if you don't like radio talk then don't listen.

Spud was one out of the box though

Agreed Rodney....if you don't like it hit the mute button, if you don't like reading s**t reporters in the papers then don't buy them, if you don't like radio talk then don't listen.

Spud was one out of the box though
Yeah he was.
Just sort of makes you realize though because he copped it more than most on bigfooty for his commentary style but today everyone realizes how much fun he was.

biaseddustyfan

|17🏆|18🏆|19🏆|20🏆|21🏆|22🏆|23🏆|24🏆|25🏆|
May 15, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Dusty
Lingy is 100% biased against us. It isn't just people seeing it differently as one eyed tiger fans, he hates us and begs for oppo frees and has a whinge about all our frees in an unprofessional manner like a drunk campaigner sitting on their couch watching. Yes he says good things about our players like everyone does (who couldn't wank over dusty and Grimes every now and then?) but he is embarrassingly biased. The others aren't that bad. I thought Darcy loved us during the 2017 finals series. They all say some dumb s**t sometimes but lingy is the worst alongside Richo who need to pull his finger out and stop sucking off oppos in a desperate attempt to not seem biased

Basil and Bruce are just terrible at their jobs. Basil has no *en idea and Bruce is senile. BT is a dumb campaigner but I find him funny to listen to. I always liked Brayshaw for some reason

Oh actually huddo is a biased ******* as well. Egotistical *en prick

Last edited:
Come on mate. How good was Brayshaw when Stack sat Viney on his arse?
Yeh, fair enough.
Just rather hear an ex footballers views than an ex cricketer.

Back