Watto

Club Legend
May 24, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangas/Lakers/Mavs
Do any of you think the way ads like McDonalds and toy ads are wrong to aim at young kids? It irritates me that company's like McDonalds could make an add with that 'we do ron ron' song so young kids will see it and go to their mother singing the song and softening their mothers up so they can go to McDonalds. I just think this is wrong to aim at the young kids who don't know much better.

That ronald clown couldn't give a rats arse about those kids, cos he's getting good money.

What are your thoughts on this?

advertisiers do it all the time...not just with products for kids...car companies have known for years the 'decision makers' for a car purchase are the kids....they badger the parents into getting model x or whatever. If it irritates you, vote with your wallet...simple

I agree with taht McDonalds ad. But that's been going on for years. Same with KFC. All these 'family' meals are directed at parents who are in a rush to get home from work and can't be bothered cooking tea themselves. Fast-food pizza companies aim at attracting lazy batchelors and such,a gain people who can't be bothered cooking. But they need to, they're the type of people who buy the products. Kids want McDonalds. They can't walk past a McDonalds without whinging to their parents. McDonalds know that, so they direct their advertising towards that source. Interestingly, this 'New Tastes' menu run of ads are directed at the teenage to young adult demograph. Even I wanted a tomato and cheese toasted sandwich when I saw a few of those chicks in that ad. That's the way things are.

One gripe. People still complain that cigarette advertising is directed towards kids. Correct me if I'm wrong, but where exactly are cigarettes advertised, apart from the Grand Prix?

It's just like supermarkets putting the lollies at the cash registers! It's the last place you go before you leave the store and the kids are going to have to see them! Sneaky buggars!

I found the most effective way to get all the McDonalds tunes out of my neice and nephews head is to put Shrek on.....I don't know why, but it works everytime! Therefore, they don't want Maccas anymore!

Originally posted by daicos4ever

One gripe. People still complain that cigarette advertising is directed towards kids. Correct me if I'm wrong, but where exactly are cigarettes advertised, apart from the Grand Prix?

Try supermarket kiosks right next to the checkouts. The there's the local 'milk bar' or 'deli' where thety are allowed to place (and I use that term loosely) advertising below a certain size wherever they want. This advertising generally finds its way to the counter where it's in plain sight of kids.
Is that corrected enough for you or would you like some more info?

:)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back