NFL Commissioner Goodell Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Speaking of the NFLPA and DeMaurice Smith......

--------------

Mehri wants to start CBA negotiations early

Posted by Mike Florio on August 23, 2017, 12:12 AM EDT

w768xh576_gettyimages-633724962-e1503461487224.jpg

Getty Images

If Cyrus Mehri gets the job, he’s vows to get quickly to work. He’ll have little choice.

In the press release issued after HBO televised the announcement of Mehri’s candidacy to take the reins of the NFL Players Association, Mehri issued a press release in which he vowed to negotiate a new labor deal early.

“America’s Game deserves better,” Mehri said. “We will provide a new vision, new innovations, and a new successful path forward for NFL players. We will bring out the best of all stakeholders in America’s Game. In doing so, we will show America, and particularly our youth that, despite differences, the NFLPA and the NFL can amicably resolve disputes and shepherd America’s Game forward into a new golden era. And we will begin by urging that negotiations on a new CBA start early. The players cannot afford to wait three years.”

It all sounds good on paper (or on your screen), but it will be hard to do an early deal absent real leverage. And with the current labor deal in place through 2020, there’s no leverage until it expires — and until the players show the resolve to strike.

That’s the challenge the NFLPA always will face, regardless of who’s running it. The deal done in 2011 resulted directly from the reality that the players didn’t want the lockout to linger into the regular season, so they took the best deal they could get. And the ongoing growth in the salary cap coupled with reduced offseason and in-season practice intensity show that the deal isn’t nearly as bad as the critics (who has fallen conspicuously silent over the last four years) claimed.

Of course, that won’t matter in the throes of a full-blown campaign. As we all learned last year, truth can be twisted and distorted and hollow promises can be made in order to get votes, regardless of whether those promises ever become action.

Ultimately, the only action that will matter for the players is this: A resolve to utilize the same tools under the labor laws that the owners already are sharpening. No executive director — Smith, Mehri, Gene Upshaw, or any or the others who will come out of the woodwork between now and March — can get the best possible deal is the rank-and-file aren’t willing to file out of the locker rooms and practice facilities for as long as it takes to get the deal that they want.

And, speaking about the CBA....

----------------

Understanding Eric Winston’s remarks about the future of the NFL

Posted by Mike Florio on August 22, 2017, 11:43 PM EDT

450657787-e1503459337932.jpg

Getty Images

Much has been made about one specific comment made by NFLPA president Eric Winston at his Bengals locker about the future of the NFL. The click-magnet headline cultivated by some (like ESPN.com) attributes to Winston the notion that he doesn’t care if NFL “dies out in 20 years.” We didn’t even use the quote in the PFT story on his remarks, because the context made Winston’s comments far less innocuous.

Winston was asked whether the NFL can survive another work stoppage (which frankly was kind of a dumb question because another work stoppage is far less of a long-term concern for the game than head trauma). In response, Winston said this: “Honestly, I don’t care and I don’t think the guys in this locker room care whether this thing’s going to be around in 20 years because none of us are going to be playing. So if these guys [the owners] want to own for a long time, then they can own for a long time. But another work stoppage might kill the golden goose. So I’m certainly not worried about it, I’m not going to be around that long. And I don’t care even if there are rookies in here, they’re not going to be playing that long. So if this thing dies out in 20 years, it dies out in 20 years. But that’s not really my concern and I don’t think it’s any of the players’ concern in here either.”

There’s nothing wrong or inflammatory or even surprising about his response. The players have no equity in the league; all they have is their bodies and what they can do with them until age or injury stops them. It’s the owners who have the long-term interest in keeping the game as viable as possible, and if they’re willing to engage in tactics that threaten it, that’s their problem.

Winston addressed the issue separately on social media, apparently in response to the focus on his “20 years” remark.

The league’s spin doctors are at it again,” Winston said. “I was asked whether I worry about the league in 20-30 years if another lockout occurs, I plainly stated, ‘no.’ And no other players in the locker room should either. Players have always chosen to be good stewards of the game because we are the game but quite simply, if the owners choose to lock us out again as they did in 2011, or if they continue to deny the health and safety risks of football, then they have signaled that they are not worried about the game in 20-30 years. I love the game of football but every players knows this is a business.”

The broader point is this: If the owners are willing to drive a bargain so hard in 2021 that it drives the game to the brink, the owners are the ones who will bear the brunt of it over the long haul, because today’s players will be long gone by the time the proverbial chickens come home to roost.

And, speaking about the CBA....

----------------

Understanding Eric Winston’s remarks about the future of the NFL

Posted by Mike Florio on August 22, 2017, 11:43 PM EDT

450657787-e1503459337932.jpg

Getty Images

You know i used to think the baby boomer generation was the most selfish generation of modern times but the Gen Y gang and oncoming millennials are proving to be worthy adversaries.

I mean this "I don't care if the league is around in 20 years thing because I won't be part of it" view neglects to remember the great people who have gone before that made the league what it is today. A league that makes young college men instant millionaires and to be granted access to opportunities and experiences many can only dream about.

In return these players, officials, owners and league bosses have a duty to ensure that they leave the game and the league in as good a shape as they found it in so that the next generation has the opportunity to reap the same rewards that they themselves enjoyed.

BUMP.

Likely to be booted out by the owners and good riddance and this thread is an awesome read with some great opinions on this schmuck from many years ago and many different teams supporters.

Is there no team besides the Packers that Goodell has not upset and applied his own kangaroo court towards?

Likely to be booted out by the owners

Where have you gotten that from?

His contract extension has already been agreed upon, and there are conflicting reports as to how much support Jerry has in this supposed attempt to get rid of Rog, and even if it is 17 owners as ESPN has reported, that's still short of the required 24 owners needed to make a change

Numerous sources reiterate that Roger Goodell's new contract is done as a practical matter and that Jerry Jones' effort to "hijack" the process in a conference call among some owners on Thursday is not feasible.
"That article leaves the inference that 17 want Roger out but I know most on the call may want some changes at the league staff but NOT Roger," communicated one ownership source. "Meaning they want Roger to stay but want some guys out and want more talented people brought in" at the league office.

There have been differing accounts of Roger Goodell's contract extension in the media, but the reality is the language on the commissioner's extension with the NFLis finalized. "The deal is done," according to a source with direct knowledge of the situation, and no owner is delaying the matter.
https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...eal-despite-jerry-jones-efforts-to-hijack-it/

A committee was set up ages ago to deal with his extension and how much to pay him to be the bad guy whilst they rake in the $$$ and the deal was pretty much done. JJ tried to be the "Most Powerful Man in Football" and was left with nothing. I've also heard (American Sport podcasts) JJ has the shits with the number of millionaires being created in head office and, in his eyes, not offering much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is there no team besides the Packers that Goodell has not upset and applied his own kangaroo court towards?
When Jolly was applying for reinstatement and was denied the first time I know that upset some people within the organisation.

But in saying that the Packers haven't really had any major incidents and scandals that have been caused by the league. We had the Favre retirement circus 10 years ago and the Favre penis scandal but not a whole lot else.

How could Jones sack other owners based on their vote?
Sue not sack. Seems like a massive sook over Elliott. Apparently he’s threatened to throw his toys out the cot and msue other owners on two other separate occasions.

So Jerry is having a cry because the Commissioner who has let him strong arm his way out of the leagues shared merch money [So Dallas keeps every $ from Cowboys merch sold, the other 31 teams share equal money] Has done something Jerry doesnt like.

And wants to replace him with a puppet Jerry picks.

F**k i hope this backfires and Jerry gets slapped down, and ends up being ignored by the other owners in the future.

Imagine the NFL run by a puppet that Jerry Jones picked.

Since the day Jerry bought the Cowboys he has tried to build the league in his image. he wants to be the league himself. He is the ultimate egomaniac and control freak.

He would kill the league.

Sue not sack. Seems like a massive sook over Elliott. Apparently he’s threatened to throw his toys out the cot and msue other owners on two other separate occasions.
Whoops, meant sue. Not sure where sack came from haha.

I just don't understand on what grounds he could sue them? Surely they're entitled to vote whichever way they like?

Whoops, meant sue. Not sure where sack came from haha.

I just don't understand on what grounds he could sue them? Surely they're entitled to vote whichever way they like?
Not if those votes are bought.

I'd love someone to challenge AFL Commission appointments in this fashion. I'm no fan of Jones but we could do with one like him in the AFL.

It almost seems more likely that Jones could buy votes easier than Goodell could.
I don't mean "buy" in the sense of handing over suitcases of money.

I mean in the sense of guaranteeing outcomes for owners for their vote. Jones can't guarantee outcomes. The NFL can.

I don't mean "buy" in the sense of handing over suitcases of money.

I mean in the sense of guaranteeing outcomes for owners for their vote. Jones can't guarantee outcomes. The NFL can.
Interesting. If that was happening, you'd think they'd be covering their tracks pretty well. Interesting times ahead.

I think the best thing to come out of this is Art Blank telling Jerry to settle down. since Jerry isnt even supposed to be on the committee to discuss the extension. he just forced his way into the room.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back