Game Day Community Series vs Port Adelaide. RICHMOND OVAL. 3:40pm Saturday 5th March

Dec 29, 2000
AFL Club
Adelaide
I share your hopes with Shoey and him quickly becoming our best mid.. and also for guys like Dawson, milera, jones etc stepping up… but for that to happen the Slaone/Laird/Keays/mcrouch combo needs to get far less than 80% of the CB/Midfield minutes and the other guys given a shitload more..

Is that going to happen?.. all signs from the past two years and the 2 trial matches point to a big fat NO and its gonna be business as usual.

And on that video I’ve posted above.. you are right.. Laird does so much right.. in that instance he read the drop of the ball, lost his opponent, was first to it and took it with one grab.. but then completely f’ed up everything from that point..

He didnt have the spacial awareness to realise the 3 lions mids were not coming at him and that the lions player that comes from left of screen wasnt even chasing him and was more concerned with chasing his direct crows opponent.. but then again.. did he even care to know?.. or did all he care about was stat padding?.. get the stat for the touch, the clearance and inside 50.. thats job done!.

Laird had enough time to take three more steps, lower the eyes and see that he couldve instead kicked the pill to the advantage of mcadam and rachele and not kick it completely off balanced and to the advantage of their lions opponents.

If i was retired and didnt have two kids under 10 I reacon I could trawl through the last two years of crows game replays and find literally dozens and dozens of examples of laird, and Keays, doing exactly what laird did in that video above and post them up here. Its just poor football and the reason our midfield is the least damaging in the league.

I’m hoping with another year of midfield experience, and with some further coaching, Laird starts to recognise that he often has more time than he realises and uses it and ball more effficiently..

Spot on. Have had issues with this for a few seasons.

Does Laird know to pin point a pass to a forward? Doubt it.

Lets be honest, he is a good player but not elite (far from it).

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Glenelg, tigers
Of course statistics can support an argument. Where did I say that wasn’t the case?

You Clam got narky at me for posting stats on Thilthorpe the other day because you he thought they were cherry picked … then you he post a tiny clip from a practice game to support your his point that Laird is a panic mid.

I’ll take cumulative data over point in time evidence when it comes to player worth any day.

If (clam)can’t see the irony in how you he berated others for the exact thing you are he is doing … then who am I to try and educate you him?

(Edit - confused STO’s response as being from clam)
Wtf are you on about?..

No one got “narky” with you so ease up with the hysterical nonsense.

You posted up an article that used a tiny snapshot of stats from 5 Thillthorpe games to push your point in an arguement and George Kramer and I simply questioned why, when it was readily available, you didnt instead use the stats from Thilly’s entire year..

No one got narky, no one attacked you.. just a couple of posters asking a perfectly valid question.

George Kramer

Premium Platinum
Aug 30, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide
Wtf are you on about?..

No one got “narky” with you so ease up with the hysterical nonsense.

You posted up an article that used a tiny snapshot of stats from 5 Thillthorpe games to push your point in an arguement and George Kramer and I simply questioned why, when it was readily available, you didnt instead use the stats from Thilly’s entire year..

No one got narky, no one attacked you.. just a couple of posters asking a perfectly valid question.
I haven’t kept up to date with this discussion but what were the full year stats?

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Have you ever done a quantitative methods or stats class?
No.. but it sounds unbelieveably exciting though…

But… Not sure what your point is.

B&B put up some stats on thilthorpe that only used the figures from his first five games..

George K and I simply asked him why he didnt use the stats from every game thilthorpe has played.. which is easily accessable.. because surely that would provide a more robust snapshot of the lads game so far..

surely even you cant argue with that right Sanders?

And all we got back from B&B, and a couple of others, was a whole heap of nonsense saying we were now somehow attacking one of our young forwards..

Its really head scratching stuff.. so if you can shed some further light onto the subject youre quite welcome to jump in..

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
No.. but it sounds unbelieveably exciting though…

But… Not sure what your point is.

B&B put up some stats on thilthorpe that only used the figures from his first five games..

George K and I simply asked him why he didnt use the stats from every game thilthorpe has played.. which is easily accessable.. because surely that would provide a more robust snapshot of the lads game so far..

surely even you cant argue with that right Sanders?

And all we got back from B&B, and a couple of others, was a whole heap of nonsense saying we were now somehow attacking one of our young forwards..

Its really head scratching stuff.. so if you can shed some further light onto the subject youre quite welcome to jump in..

That sample was fine, and there is no basis whatsoever for assuming that any different outcomes were to be expected at year end.

It wasn’t a small sample, especially for the point being made - that TT is an excellent 1:1 contested player

The likelihood that he could be a bad 1:1 player and just happen to be around the top few in the league after 20% of the season are near enough to zero.

You might argue about the sample if you wanted to move him down a tier, from say elite to merely above average; but not on the sort of swing involved here. I.e. from elite to poor

But most of all, just stop spamming the same crayola stuff over and over. The board is tumbleweeds as it is! ;)

Oct 13, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
That sample was fine, and there is no basis whatsoever for assuming that any different outcomes were to be expected at year end.

It wasn’t a small sample, especially for the point being made - that TT is an excellent 1:1 contested player

The likelihood that he could be a bad 1:1 player and just happen to be around the top few in the league after 20% of the season are near enough to zero.

You might argue about the sample if you wanted to move him down a tier, from say elite to merely above average; but not on the sort of swing involved here. I.e. from elite to poor

But most of all, just stop spamming the same crayola stuff over and over. The board is tumbleweeds as it is! ;)
So… what your saying is that if you had two players… Player A and Player B. Both play 15 games in a season and you looked at their 1v1 stats and;

Player A had 5 games in a row to start the season where he dominated 1v1 and then was just average 1v1 for the next 10 games..

And

Player B dominated 1v1 in all 15 games..

You can call both of them elite because you only really need to include the great 1v1 stats for Player A that he had in those first 5 games as 5 games is a big enough sample?.. and forget what occured over the rest of the season right?.. leave that out.

whereas you might actually include the stats for Player B for all 15 games because he dominated in all 15 games for the season?..

Both elite?.. or Both elite but Player B is more consistently elite?..

Is this what you are suggesting Sanders?

Back