• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Leicester, Vixens
Man-Utd-vs-Leicester-web_compressed.jpg

It is the big curtain raiser of English Football, the Premier League winner takes on the FA Cup winner. To some, it's a glorified friendly (you can have 6 subs in this game), to others, it's an early chance for some historic silverware.

We do have an unusual team in the form of Leicester, but contrary to belief, they enter as the Premier League Champion, United the FA Cup winner.

Believe it or not, Leicester has won the Shield once in 1971, back when Arsenal (who won both league and cup) were contracted to a pre-season tour, so the FA decided to take both the Cup Runner Up and the 2nd Division Winner (yeah, I don't get that either) to contest the shield. United of course has won this 20 times, just like something else they've won 20 times.

Leicester's form:
W 19 July Oxford United 1–2
W 23 July Celtic 1–1 (5–6 p)

L 30 July Paris Saint-Germain 4–0
L 3 August Barcelona 4–2

United's form:
W 16 July Wigan Athletic 2–0
L 22 July Borussia Dortmund 1–4
W 30 July Galatasaray 5–2
D 3 August Everton H 0–0

United's form is better, but Leicester's was against tougher opposition (and it is their first time travelling longer distances, something they will need to get used to.) I think this match will be a dress rehearsal for what is to come in their first games, at least for at least 45. Which means Huth is likely to get 45 as a sub, and we might for the first time see what could be the PL's deadliest striker pairing of Vardy and Musa, who is fresh off a brace against Barcelona, and gave a first class demonstration exactly what he will do to PL defences if given the chance. United fans will of course get to see their new signings in action as their first XI takes shape for their big match against the PL's smallest side.

Leicester had called the old Wembley a 2nd home ground of sorts in its dying days, can they do the same yet again in this new age? The leaky defence is back (though a lot looks like its pre-season jitters), but the offence still looks very dangerous. They do look quite different without Kante in the middle though.

Mou is still getting his United team to become HIS United team as he has set out the structure and pecking order as he aims to reverse the stagnation that has gone on since Fergie left and take on the role as the next true successor of United. Zlatan will be looking to establish himself in the final challenge on the domestic front and is looking to continue his long streak of league trophies. There is no CL, but what does it matter if he can terrorise England at the tender young age of 35?

Both sides will use this match as a means to quell any doubts that may linger over their heads (though in United's case, Moyes won the Shield, we know how that went.) Who would have the more pressure to win? Possibly Mou if you go by the hype that United seem to be generating. While it has to be admitted that immediate success isn't expected, he would want to ensure that his team start off on the right foot in regards to winning, and well, to settle an old score.

501414908.jpg

Have at it!

United for me. Have strengthened very well, and I reckon Ibra might have a field day if he starts.

If anything, I think it's Musa that would have the field day if United don't do much work with that defence. Being beaten by 35yo Ibra would be a big wake up call to pull the socks up, because we really shouldn't with our type of defenders.

Well, we're all certainly hyped up for this one, aren't we? Mr Trotter is right when the match does not concern traditional or modern rivals.

5-3, Vardy's record breaker, more titles since Fergie left! Hmm... this is more one sided than I thought.

This is going to be one of those topics that will struggle to reach three pages, with barely anything for the match proper...

It's not really proper silverware Jatz, but still nice to win.

In saying that I've seen some sites list it as a recognised honour and included in clubs tallies. It's just a traditional glorified friendly for me though

can't wait to watch this tonight seeing both clubs new players and a bit of silverware in the grand scheme of things it means * all but still always good to start winning early. good luck Jatz and Fryer Tuck looking forward to watching musa play

It's not really proper silverware Jatz, but still nice to win.

In saying that I've seen some sites list it as a recognised honour and included in clubs tallies. It's just a traditional glorified friendly for me though
Oh of course, got nothing on the league. We just don't get the chance to play in this game much - seen as we're here, I hope we win.

It's an important bit of silverware when you win. Meaningless friendly when you lose.
But this ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back