Analysis Compare us to Hawks 2006

Remove this Banner Ad

It does happen though.

- Robbie Gray got a lot better in his 8th season, despite playing plenty of games to that point
- Stef Martin wasn't even looking like playing regularly until his 8th season and then he got good
- Brent Guerra had been delisted by us because of attitude before he finally came good in his 8th year
- Tom Hawkins was just an OK player - in a very good side - until his 6th year
- Josh Kennedy (Syd) jumped to elite in his 6th year, Hawthorn had traded him for not much
- Gary Ablett Jr was a medium quality small forward who showed flashes until his 6th year, when he suddenly became elite
- Elliot Yeo didn't really have a position his first five years, then last year actually started dominating

I'm sure there are heaps of others.

Brent Guerra was handy at Port and St Kilda. It was some kind of dick stretch off that cost Guerra his spot at St Kilda. GT hated him. Stef Martin is the only one I would say you didn't even see glimpses though and as a ruck that's not uncommon. Going for very good to excellent isn't uncommon. Going from average to excellent is. Hawkins is still a pretty average player IMO.

Hawks have been the only team happy to lose clearances and rely on laser footskills.

Game plans have evolved to counter them. Happens all the time.

RTB set about beating Geelong who were the dominant team back then and almost did.

Then MAlthouse went further to counter what we were doing doing.

It'snow come to the point where teams play defence first first as opposed to merely outscoring your opponents. Note how inaccuracy, poor standards and low scoring games are happening across the entire competition?

So whilst (IMO) foot skills are necessary, the pelican brief was more relevant 5 years ago and has not allowed to factor in the evolution of the game.

His theory was that you need a certain number of KPB's and KPF's etc etc on your list to give yourself the best chance of striking the right combo.

On the other hand, other clubs appear to have gone for needs more so to suit the game plan of the day. In this respect we are now playing catch up footy.

Richo's mantra of pressure and contested ball wins are not far off the mark as for what's required in today's game. Where we have fallen down is our failure to recruit fast running mids starting 3 years ago. Instead, we have gone the traditional route of building a spine etc as well as inside mids.

In terms of comparisons, we desperately lack that senior experience and leadership and are moreMelbourne than Hawks. So unless we add a few senior stars, I can't see us climbing much next year.

Our organic growth has stalled this year, so hopefully these players can find some form on the tail end of the season.

If they do, and we can add some decent players, we should be back to mid table next year... by which time players will be hitting that 100 game mark and ready to flourish in 202.

Well, that's one deluded old fart's theory anyway...

EDIT: I will also add that I honestly believe the Hawks were lucky in 2008. Yes you make your own luck, but Geelong kicked themselves out of that game much like we did in 2009.
Hawks were actually really good at clearances. In 2012 and I think 2014 they were first for clearances and always top 5 in their other contending years. They really were a football clinic.

Still a major flaw of ours. Almost every year we’re bottom 5 for contested ball and clearances but apparently we need more run and carry....hmmmmm.

Clarkson v Richo the obvious difference

We have quality youth in Ross, Acres, Billings, Membrey, Sinclair, Gresham

And Carlisle as a solid pillar

With quality back flankers in Savage and Webster

Clarkson would literally pull talent through the front door. If we had Clarko two years ago Kelly and Sloane are probably rehabbing in RWB.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back