Jason Castagna
Kane Lambert
Ivan Soldo
Draft pick #12
Draft pick #52
Draft pick #88
Draft pick #106 (pass?)
(Potentially Andrew Moore in the PSD?)

Currently, only 23 players remain on our 2016 list from the 2013 list. Notice something else? That's just about our best 22, barring 3-4 of those players. A case could be made for why every single one of those guys could be playing games in our senior team next year. Our list management is excellent, we simply have not lost any important players since Hardwick has arrived. The quality of our depth is improving each year, we always keep our first round picks and that will keep us towards the pointy end of the ladder long-term.

I'm sick of all this bullshit from 'experts' like Damien Barrett claiming that we can not improve and we have failed our last three off-seasons. Yes, we generally don't trade big name players to our club, but those clubs that do continuously lose quality themselves, or are in the rebuilding phase. You do not always need to target a big name player to get better the next year, that again, is bullshit.

After 2014, the general hypothesis from the AFL community was that we would go backwards, getting smashed by Port and being exposed as 'pretenders'. In November, we hit the draft HARD, brought in no one else from opposition clubs except for Taylor Hunt in the PSD, and finished the season with 15 wins for the 2nd time in 3 seasons, improving on our 12 from 2014.

During the trade period, I admit I was endlessly hoping for us to lure a gun player to the club, with all the talks of the 'doozy' getting me far too excited. Yet, as the trade period went on, I began to realise how much clubs like Geelong, Collingwood, Carlton, GWS etc. were losing at the same time. They had to lose quality to gain quality. Richmond, on the other hand, gained two more players in Chris Yarran and Jacob Townsend that will compliment the team while losing nothing.

The majority of our playing group are now in the prime of their careers, we have some awesome high pick draftees pushing for regular selection in Ben Lennon, Corey Ellis, Liam McBean, Connor Menadue, and even Nathan Drummond is training hard to get back from his horrible ACL injury against Melbourne. Kane Lambert, Anthony Miles, and even to an extent Taylor Hunt have proven valuable pick ups for little to no cost. Jacob Townsend cost us pick ******* 70, and he could play the majority of the season next year for us, THAT is smart recruiting.

All in all, I just want to say a big * you to Damien Barrett, who constantly (and wrongly) criticizes Richmond. Another top 6 finish is on the cards for us next year, we may have lost 3 consecutive elimination finals, but this list we're building is going to be up there for a long time. :thumbsu:

image.jpeg

Great analysis.
It's been hardwork, but the foundation for longterm success has been carefully and cleverly laid.
Now its 'Tigertime'!
When you see how utterly s**t our list was when Hardwick took over, he and the rest of the team have done a fantastic job into turning around the club in every asset. This includes the financial state, the facilities, the culture, and all the other little things that make a club properly tick. Although we have lost three consecutive finals, that does not mean we aren't on the right track. Building a quality team for sustained success takes time, and I believe we are well on the way to doing this. I love the clubs approach to drafting and recruiting, it is very balanced and well thought through.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

When you see how utterly s**t our list was when Hardwick took over, he and the rest of the team have done a fantastic job into turning around the club in every asset. This includes the financial state, the facilities, the culture, and all the other little things that make a club properly tick. Although we have lost three consecutive finals, that does not mean we aren't on the right track. Building a quality team for sustained success takes time, and I believe we are well on the way to doing this. I love the clubs approach to drafting and recruiting, it is very balanced and well thought through.
This is a cop out. Our list was full of potential when DH took over and we are still a list with potential
Cotchin Lids Jack TV Grimes Sheds Rance Newman Foley Tuck Jackson were all on the list . I'm really surprised we haven't won a final considering we got Martin gifted to us by Melbourne and all the time we've had to improve the list
Backed with no debt , better facilities and more money to spend on the FD I think the RFC under DH has under achieved , but keep spinning the fairy floss

Yes,I think Fitzroy type of potential.;)
Did you see our list at the time? Fitzroy type was media propaganda that was out to trash us as usual. We had som very good young first rounders on our list. We weren't doomed as we had a lot of potential on the list. Still 8 of those players were getting a gig this year which is an indication we had the potential
With Newman retired now our list will be an automatic improvement ( not being harsh , but his output was below his best from 2012 )

2010 List:
Will Thursfield Defender
3 Brett Deledio Midfielder
6 Graham Polak* Defender, Forward
8 Jack Riewoldt Forward
9 Trent Cotchin Midfielder
10 Shane Edwards Midfielder, Forward
13 Jordan McMahon Defender
14 Dean Polo Defender
15 Mitchell Farmer Defender, Midfielder
16 Luke McGuane Defender
17 Chris Newman Defender
18 Alex Rance Defender
19 Daniel Connors Midfielder
20 Mitch Morton Forward
21 Shane Tuck Midfielder
22 Alroy Gilligan* Forward
23 Daniel Jackson Midfielder
24 Andrew Collins Midfielder
25 Angus Graham Ruck
26 Robin Nahas Forward
27 Tom Hislop Midfielder
28 Jake King Defender
29 Tyrone Vickery Ruck
30 Richard Tambling Midfielder
31 Adam Thomson Midfielder
32 Ben Cousins Midfielder
33 David Gourdis* Forward
34 Andrew Browne Ruck
35 Matthew White Midfielder
36 Dustin Martin Midfielder
37 Jayden Post Defender
38 Ben Griffiths Forward
39 David Astbury Forward
40 Kelvin Moore Defender
41 Nathan Foley Midfielder
42 Jamie O’Reilly* Midfielder
43 Matt Dea Forward
44 Troy Taylor Forward
45 Robert Hicks* Midfielder, Forward
46 Jeromey Webberley Defender
47 Ben Nason Defender
48 Dylan Grimes Defender
49 Pat Contin* Midfielder
50 Relton Roberts* Forward
51 Nick Westhoff*
Our Top 10:
Deledio
Cotch
Dusty
Jack
Foley
Cousins(rep only)
Newman
Tuck
Geez I'm struggling.
Obviously Vickery,Rance,Jacko,Edwards, Would be on that list but at the time they were struggling.

2010 List:
Will Thursfield Defender
8 Jack Riewoldt Forward
14 Dean Polo Defender
16 Luke McGuane Defender
17 Chris Newman Defender
18 Alex Rance Defender
20 Mitch Morton Forward
21 Shane Tuck Midfielder
25 Angus Graham Ruck
26 Robin Nahas Forward
27 Tom Hislop Midfielder
28 Jake King Defender
29 Tyrone Vickery Ruck
34 Andrew Browne Ruck
37 Jayden Post Defender
38 Ben Griffiths Forward
39 David Astbury Forward
40 Kelvin Moore Defender
43 Matt Dea Forward
44 Troy Taylor Forward
47 Ben Nason Defender
48 Dylan Grimes Defender
51 Nick Westhoff*
Our Top 10:
Deledio
Cotch
Dusty
Jack
Foley
Cousins(rep only)
Newman
Tuck
Geez I'm struggling.
Obviously Vickery,Rance,Jacko,Edwards, Would be on that list but at the time they were struggling.
A look through that 2010 list is even more telling. Utter shite on every single line.

I think the list has improved in almost every area. The main areas I can identify that we have gone backwards are:

Inside mid: Tuck, Jackson, Foley, are all gone. Miles covers the loss of Foley well but we still need a bigger bodied player to replace Jackson and Tuck. Hopefully one or two of Townsend, Ellis, or Vlastuin can step up in this role for us.

Small forward/outside pace: These players may have had their limitations, but we were a much more dangerous team on the burst when we had White, King, and Nahas. Yarran will hopefully give us more run through the middle of the ground, replacing White, but I'd still like to see us get a nippy small forward.

images

That's more or less what I think about our great club.

2010 List:
Will Thursfield Defender
8 Jack Riewoldt Forward
14 Dean Polo Defender
16 Luke McGuane Defender
17 Chris Newman Defender
18 Alex Rance Defender
20 Mitch Morton Forward
21 Shane Tuck Midfielder
25 Angus Graham Ruck
26 Robin Nahas Forward
27 Tom Hislop Midfielder
28 Jake King Defender
29 Tyrone Vickery Ruck
34 Andrew Browne Ruck
37 Jayden Post Defender
38 Ben Griffiths Forward
39 David Astbury Forward
40 Kelvin Moore Defender
43 Matt Dea Forward
44 Troy Taylor Forward
47 Ben Nason Defender
48 Dylan Grimes Defender
51 Nick Westhoff*
Our Top 10:
Deledio
Cotch
Dusty
Jack
Foley
Cousins(rep only)
Newman
Tuck
Geez I'm struggling.
Good old Relton Roberts and Alroy Gilligan.

There's two premiership players in that list, not bad.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back