comparing the rebuilds 2007-2012 vs 2016-present

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 27, 2018
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
brisbane lions
our last rebuild took 5 years to start paying off, because we have completed 3 years of the current rebuild I thought it would be wise to compare the current rebuild to our only successful one at the same time period 2010.

young guns
(all Australian potential)
nat fyfe, Shill, walters, barlow, ballantyne, mayne (made a 40 squad)

campaigners
spur, deboar, suban, Ibbotson, mzungu, Sutcliffe, zac clarke

all Australian potential
brayshaw, cerra, hogan, pearce, ryan, langdon

campaigners
blakely , logue , cox, banfield, darcy

I believe that apart from the freak called Nathan fyfe our young talent of todays rebuild is better purely because of depth, a higher amount of genuine A grade talent to campaigner ratio.
Its in more useful positions aka three of our future best players of the young cohort aren't pressure forwards instead their key position players or midfielders (besides liam henry is apparently a good small forward so maybe we have that sorted).

Fremantle 2013 grand final side
B:
41 Paul Duffield 3 Zac Dawson 37 Michael Johnson
HB: 6 Danyle Pearce 18 Luke McPharlin 34 Lee Spurr
C: 13 Tendai Mzungu 15 Ryan Crowley 16 David Mundy
HF: 7 Nathan Fyfe 23 Chris Mayne 33 Cameron Sutcliffe
F: 10 Michael Walters 29 Matthew Pavlich (c) 30 Zac Clarke
Foll: 31 Aaron Sandilands 9 Matt de Boer 32 Stephen Hill
Int: 1 Hayden Ballantyne 8 Nick Suban 21 Michael Barlow 27 Lachie Neale (sub)
Coach:Ross Lyon

I don't know about you guys but I see a lot of campaigners in that side.

But I ask the bigfooty community what are you opinions comparing the rebuilds personally I think weve done a better job however perhaps 1 more A grade talent is needed.

What's that Northern Territory ad slogan again, C U in the N T?

That GF side is exactly what we should replicate. We had hard blue collar players. Bob up and do their role.
The underrated work of Barlow, De Boer, Mzungu of that season was huge. Watch the 2013 QF vs Geelong. Barlow played the best game of his career that day.

We were one or two players short of a fairytale premiership . Ibbo was injured and Clancee Pearce would’ve made a lot of difference. Morabito another factor. Just that extra 5% and who knows.
Neale should’ve started that game in GF.

Our structures and defence kept us below 70 points against, even with the forward line we had. This rebuild we have a huge, A grade forward line. The biggest problem is we still take that exact same gameplan of 2012-16 and try to implicate this season. The old adage of trying the same thing, expect different results is true here.
Tbh Ross is the key denominator in this. He has to go if this group of youth is to take the next step. We need players set up in attacking positions, in their natural roles. Flair and skill. The game has gone by Ross, no longer is effort going to win games ahead of skill and talent.

Not quite sure where you are going dropbear. Clearly Ibbotson and Neale had AA potential. And I would have thought Logue, Cox and Darcy do as well.
Ibbotson maybe and Neale was to young and didn't develop into a star until 2016 when our premiership window had shut.

That GF side is exactly what we should replicate. We had hard blue collar players. Bob up and do their role.
The underrated work of Barlow, De Boer, Mzungu of that season was huge. Watch the 2013 QF vs Geelong. Barlow played the best game of his career that day.

We were one or two players short of a fairytale premiership . Ibbo was injured and Clancee Pearce would’ve made a lot of difference. Morabito another factor. Just that extra 5% and who knows.
Neale should’ve started that game in GF.

Our structures and defence kept us below 70 points against, even with the forward line we had. This rebuild we have a huge, A grade forward line. The biggest problem is we still take that exact same gameplan of 2012-16 and try to implicate this season. The old adage of trying the same thing, expect different results is true here.
Tbh Ross is the key denominator in this. He has to go if this group of youth is to take the next step. We need players set up in attacking positions, in their natural roles. Flair and skill. The game has gone by Ross, no longer is effort going to win games ahead of skill and talent.

I reckon teams like the hawks and swans had a better bottom six and I reckon this elevated their team enough to go that last bit.

We had a higher win rate 08-11 than we have 16-18.

That's heavily distorted by that one season in 2010 when the club had 13 wins (playing four games against the eventual bottom two sides, winning three of them). With that season removed from the block it's 6+6+9=21 wins compared to 4+8+8=20 wins.

That's heavily distorted by that one season in 2010 when the club had 13 wins (playing four games against the eventual bottom two sides, winning three of them). With that season removed from the block it's 6+6+9=21 wins compared to 4+8+8=20 wins.
Still better even when removing the good year. Thank you for proving my point Tayls 🙏

What's that Northern Territory ad slogan again, C U in the N T?
Curtin Uni was originally going to be Curtin University of New Technology until someone highlighted its acronym might not go down so well on a T-shirt

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What i find interesting in both rebuilds, when we looked liked developing talent we had Scott, Kirk, as assistants.
Hands on style of coaching, and both were hardnut footy players.
Just replacing the head coach is not enough because on or off the field it is a team sport
Where is the off field excellence that we were promised with the state of the art training facility?

Where is the off field excellence that we were promised with the state of the art training facility?
There it is, the big question.

How confident are you in Bell ringing the changes in here? I am very confident.

Could they have already been started? Possibly, but not that realistic. I guess our rowing coach has gone now. I think planning for changes at the end of season should be underway.

This rebuild has Fyfe at the heart of it

Thr previous rebuild had Pav, Luke Mc, Johnson and Sandi
Add Hogan, Lobb should at least be serviceable. But yeah we are relying on our young talent being elite.
After seeing Brander, Allen at WC, we have Cox, Darcy, Dixon, Pearce, if that isn't a decent spine?
If things go right, we fix most of our deficiencies at least when we get to that window it will last longer than
2012-2015.
We are asking alot of Pearce, we need someone else to really come on?

This rebuild has Fyfe at the heart of it

Thr previous rebuild had Pav, Luke Mc, Johnson and Sandi

True, but we have since bought in Hogan and Hamling, further developed Pearce and hopefully Darcy, plus picked up a few more players in their prime that are effective including Wilson and Hill

Although the pre-season games haven't been great indicators I think our spine is on okay shape in terms of building a list around it.

On the flipside, I feel we are lacking ready-made foot-soliders currently that weren't A-graders, but were around that B/B+ mark in terms of solid outputs week-in-week-out like Mzungu, C.Pearce, DeBoer, Mayne, Spurr etc. who were reliable to get 15-20 possessions and do their bit where they were needed.

True, but we have since bought in Hogan and Hamling, further developed Pearce and hopefully Darcy, plus picked up a few more players in their prime that are effective including Wilson and Hill

Although the pre-season games haven't been great indicators I think our spine is on okay shape in terms of building a list around it.

On the flipside, I feel we are lacking ready-made foot-soliders currently that weren't A-graders, but were around that B/B+ mark in terms of solid outputs week-in-week-out like Mzungu, C.Pearce, DeBoer, Mayne, Spurr etc. who were reliable to get 15-20 possessions and do their bit where they were needed.
100% agree with this - the team of 2012 - 2015 was really strong in the middle group, a lot of average to good guys all fit and on the same page. What we probably lacked was a couple more A-graders to complement the guys mentioned. The good thing is I think it's a lot easier to recruit / develop the middle tier guys, and I think we are potentially stronger in the top end - the next two years will tell. The key is getting them all on the same page and keeping them fit and available - not a strength at the moment!

[QUOTE="blue shark, post: 59831428, member: 84496"
Where is the off field excellence that we were promised with the state of the art training facility?[/QUOTE]

Excellent question. We were no worse of at Freo Oval.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back