Analysis Single Malt GC Sporting Updates (TITANS NEWZ)

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder if the Titans rebranding is a good thing for the Suns or not. Currently, the Titans are the poor *ed little brother who struggles for attention, so I wonder if a facelift will do much or whether it'll just scare current GCers away from the code.

Hey experimental you know what I found interesting about it all? The old north sydney bears used to wear red and black so maybe we will have 2 gold coast teams wearing predominantly red next year? I think if they move games away from robina then fans will start to resent a perceived future relocation.

If North Sydney Bears buy out the Titans and share games between GC and Central Coast that cant be a model for success . You would think over time the Bears take franchise to the Central Coast full time leaving the Suns the Coast for themselves . Surely the NRL need a presence on the GC otherwise they are giving a huge free kick to the AFL.

Gold Coast Titans -> Gold Coast Bears -> North Coast Bears -> Central Coast Bears

That's how I think the progression will go in getting the Titans to the central coast. I find it hard to believe the titans playing two games on the central coast last year was pure coincidence. They will probably eventually play a game each season at north sydney oval just for nostalgia.

Gold Coast Titans -> Gold Coast Bears -> North Coast Bears -> Central Coast Bears

That's how I think the progression will go in getting the Titans to the central coast. I find it hard to believe the titans playing two games on the central coast last year was pure coincidence. They will probably eventually play a game each season at north sydney oval just for nostalgia.

Wonder what Burleigh Bears will think of the idea using there moniker.

Would the Brisbane Bears-Fitzroy Football Club Ltd (aka Brisbane Lions) have something to say about this?

Would the Brisbane Bears-Fitzroy Football Club Ltd (aka Brisbane Lions) have something to say about this?
I don't think BBFFC would bother to be honest, it's a bit of a stretch to say the brands would get confused especicaly since the Brisbane Bears name has been gone for 20 years now. That's double the length of their existence.

If North Sydney Bears buy out the Titans and share games between GC and Central Coast that cant be a model for success . You would think over time the Bears take franchise to the Central Coast full time leaving the Suns the Coast for themselves . Surely the NRL need a presence on the GC otherwise they are giving a huge free kick to the AFL.
It could work, potentially. If they kept the higher drawing games on the GC, like Brisbane, Cowboys, Souths, Warriors, etc, and played the lower drawing Sydney-based clubs on the Central Coast (Dragons, Panthers, Manly, etc), it could work.

Being in NSW itself, the NSW clubs would already draw higher crowds there than they would on the GC if they organised it properly. The region gets a club (similar to GWS/Canberra connection), and they get to see their club play other clubs who are more relevant to the area). I mean, Queenslanders are going to want to see their three clubs more than the Sydney clubs, just like Central Coasters are going to want to see Sydney clubs.

I can see it being somewhat successful, but it's a big risk to take. Yet another rebranding on the GC is going to be tough to take as a local, but I can see them remaining popular if all their games are against bigger drawing clubs. I'm not even sure how many home games are in the NRL - what like 13? Just say GC gets 8 and CC gets 5 - that's a decent split that would benefit both communities. Follow the GWS model.

There is a story on the sydney morning herald website that came out about an hour ago called The bold plan to bring North Sydney Bears back to NRL via Gold Coast Titans. It basically shows the central coast bears ceo saying they want to change the titans colours to red and black as well as renaming the club the bears and adopting the their 90+ year history. He also says the bears own the tweed seagulls leagues club and would like the titans to train there.

I'm thinking that all the negativity of the Titans looking like 'failing' will paint the Suns in a brighter light.

I very much doubt it'll increase the number of Suns fans, or that we'll have a huge influx of ex-Titans fans swapping over to the Suns, but at least this seems to be happening at a time where the Suns are potentially on the up, and the Titans are crashing.

I was down on the GC again today and I saw the 'We are your Suns' banners everywhere, which was an awesome sight to see (GCFC Digital please pass that on btw!), so it might spark some interest if we're winning games.

Look at the Lions fans jump on the bandwagon when they're winning in a 'rugby league town'.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm thinking that all the negativity of the Titans looking like 'failing' will paint the Suns in a brighter light.

I very much doubt it'll increase the number of Suns fans, or that we'll have a huge influx of ex-Titans fans swapping over to the Suns, but at least this seems to be happening at a time where the Suns are potentially on the up, and the Titans are crashing.

I was down on the GC again today and I saw the 'We are your Suns' banners everywhere, which was an awesome sight to see (GCFC Digital please pass that on btw!), so it might spark some interest if we're winning games.

Look at the Lions fans jump on the bandwagon when they're winning in a 'rugby league town'.
I think you are right. I think most adult league supporters on the gold coast will always be just that. I'm going on opinion here but I think a lot of the people that initially supported the Titans were fans of other NRL teams and temporarily adopted their home town team. Then the wheels started to fall off the wagon and I think they progressively dropped off and went back to their second team. So I agree that there won't be a huge influx of ex-Titans fans jumping ship if this eventuates but it would mean less kids will get behind the rl team because they won't see them as often as the Suns. It's not like this hasn't happened before. The Gold Coast Bears would be the sixth iteration of a coast team in the NRL. Though a positive to come out of it is that we'll be the longest standing sports team in gold coast history in a few years. I also love seeing the We Are Your Suns advertising all over the city. You'll see Lynchy in a random bus stop with the We Are Your Suns slogan. Love it!

I also love seeing the We Are Your Suns advertising all over the city. You'll see Lynchy in a random bus stop with the We Are Your Suns slogan. Love it!
Definitely one of the best slogans I've seen for a sports team in ages. I love it

I'm going to post a few things and you guys tell me what you think.

Struggling NRL clubs given two years to get into the black - Feb 10 2016 Daily Telegraph
STRUGGLING NRL clubs have been given two years to get into the black — or risk being stripped of their licences.

NRL rules out introducing second Brisbane team until at least 2020 - Feb 19 2016 Courier Mail
THE NRL has gone cold on short-term expansion in Queensland in a move that will see the Broncos enjoy a rugby-league monopoly in Brisbane until at least 2020.
As Brisbane prepare for their World Club Series clash against Wigan on Sunday morning, The Courier-Mail can reveal the Broncos will remain the NRL’s sole presence in southeast Queensland.

Bears set for shock NRL return via Titans - Feb 24 2016 Rugby League Week
RLW has learned that there are moves for the Bears to buy out the struggling Titans franchise – and rename the team the Gold Coast Bears.

The team will continue to play out of the Gold Coast, but may also take several games a season to the Bears’ home base on the NSW Central Coast.

The Titans went into voluntary administration last year and the club is currently being administered by the NRL.

The NRL would love for someone to take over the running of the team, and the Bears – who last played in the big league in 1999 – are keen to take up the challenge.

Officials are remaining tight-lipped about the takeover but top secret moves are underway behind the scenes.

The Titans will remain as they are for this season, but could well be known as the Gold Coast Bears by next season.

The Bears already have a presence on the Gold Coast, with the massive Seagulls Leagues Club in Tweed Heads owned by North Sydney Leagues Club, whose finances keep the Bears alive.

North Sydney still have a team in the NSW Cup and teams at junior level, but died as a top grade club after an ill-fated venture with Manly – known as the Northern Eagles – collapsed in 2002.

The NRL is keen to see top class league on the NSW Central Coast – a massive growth area – and the return of the Bears would be the first step towards this.

North Sydney Bears rumours linger as Gold Coast Titans launch NRL season at Sea World - Feb 24 2016 Gold Coast Bulletin
THE Gold Coast Titans’ unique season launch this morning was somewhat overshadowed by whispers of a potential takeover by the North Sydney Bears.
However, Titans boss Annesley said if there is truth to the rumour, it would be positive for the Gold Coast to have people interested in the club.

NRL issues statement on Titans ownership - Feb 24 2016 Rugby League Week
THE NRL have issued a statement saying they are not a long term holder of the Gold Coast Titans licence.
The NRL has had very preliminary talks with several parties which have expressed interest in the Titans but those talks are still in the very early stages,” the spokesman said.

“No decision has been made or is currently being considered about the future ownership of the club.”

Holy crap, what a crazy situation. The name of Gold Coast Bears would be so confusing, too. Too similar to the Brisbane Bears, who were based at the Gold Coast during their inception. And what's with this line "STRUGGLING NRL clubs have been given two years to get into the black — or risk being stripped of their licences." They're really going to destroy a club if they've got too much debt? Really? I know the NRL isn't nearly as rich as the AFL, but surely the NRL can put in equalisation measures to get the Broncos etc to pitch in? After the Fitzroy debacle, the AFL swore to never let a club merge or die ever again. I would have assumed that the NRL learned the same lessons after the Seagulls flew away. I don't know. I'm just a dumb guy from Perth who knows absolutely nothing about rugby league or its culture. But I would have thought that the governing body of the sport would be doing more.

Gold Coast Titans keen for local ownership as North Sydney Bears ramp up NRL bid - 25 Feb 2016
The club would continue to be based on the Gold Coast, with at least nine of their 12 home games to be played at Cbus Super Stadium at Robina.

The remainder would be shared between North Sydney Oval and Central Coast Stadium in Gosford — both of which involve substantially lower usage fees than Robina.

That is probably the golden bullet in my opinion. It's no secret that the Titans stadium deal at Robina is really bad.

Holy crap, what a crazy situation. The name of Gold Coast Bears would be so confusing, too. Too similar to the Brisbane Bears, who were based at the Gold Coast during their inception. And what's with this line "STRUGGLING NRL clubs have been given two years to get into the black — or risk being stripped of their licences." They're really going to destroy a club if they've got too much debt? Really? I know the NRL isn't nearly as rich as the AFL, but surely the NRL can put in equalisation measures to get the Broncos etc to pitch in? After the Fitzroy debacle, the AFL swore to never let a club merge or die ever again. I would have assumed that the NRL learned the same lessons after the Seagulls flew away. I don't know. I'm just a dumb guy from Perth who knows absolutely nothing about rugby league or its culture. But I would have thought that the governing body of the sport would be doing more.
To be fair, the NRL spent $4 million saving the Gold Coast Titans exactly 12 month ago. The Titans have really been their own worst enemy with the countless times they've shot themselves in the foot.

It's hard to explain the rugby league culture unless you've lived in NSW or QLD. As GC2015 already pointed out, the Gold Coast has seen several professional rugby league teams come and go since the late 80s. Imagine if West Coast rebranded/folded several times in the 90s, then got kicked out of the comp and then were allowed back in 10 years later. That's virtually what has happened.

So the CEO of the Bears went on radio and said this is possibly their last chance to get back into the NRL. What does everyone think about the Bears nickname and colours? I've lived on the GC my whole life and never seen a bear but I have seen plenty of sun. Does anyone remember the radio competition they ran back before the Titans name was settled on? I remember they ran it because the popular Dolphins name was not allowed after legal action. From memory they included the Suns nickname in the first shortlist but they eventually cut it down to three names that were like Titans Stingrays & Pirates. Stingrays kind of makes sense but where is the link between the coast and the Titans? It's an americanized nickname that comes from Greek mythology. I feel like it only won because it sounds cool when you first hear it.

To be fair, the NRL spent $4 million saving the Gold Coast Titans exactly 12 month ago. The Titans have really been their own worst enemy with the countless times they've shot themselves in the foot.

It's hard to explain the rugby league culture unless you've lived in NSW or QLD. As GC2015 already pointed out, the Gold Coast has seen several professional rugby league teams come and go since the late 80s. Imagine if West Coast rebranded/folded several times in the 90s, then got kicked out of the comp and then were allowed back in 10 years later. That's virtually what has happened.
Fair enough. I've started to realise that I should just lurk on this thread, as my posts on a topic I know nothing about do naught but paint me a fool.

wJF3W9N.jpg

https://connectonline.asic.gov.au/R...searchIdType=BUSN&_adf.ctrl-state=3psumb3sx_4

So North Sydney registered the Gold Coast Bears name back in October. Me thinks there is more to the story than we are being told.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back