Analysis Single Malt GC Sporting Updates (TITANS NEWZ)

Remove this Banner Ad

No I'm saying there are people who just are ready to jump on a winning team and go to the games and be seen. Lots of young people aged 14-35 who if either was a contender would just want to go and be there.

I've seen the stadium at Robina full before, it's been about 7 years though other than when Jarryd Hayne played his first game. I'm not talking about product as I love both games and both teams, I want every GC team to kick bum regardless of code.

Im talking purely about "coolness" and wanting to back a winner.
Agree l'm not talking product either. I'm just saying Suns will benefit more from performing well because AFL is a much better specitical live than it is on TV. NRL is the opposite.

Agree l'm not talking product either. I'm just saying Suns will benefit more from performing well because AFL is a much better specitical live than it is on TV. NRL is the opposite.

I long for the day where we see a full stadium with a token amount of supporters of the opposition and the rest of it filled with locals cheering on the mighty GC with passion and pride.

The last time we saw anything that resembled that was when GAJ did his shoulder against Collingwood. 3 years ago now I think.
Dare I say it-pre Rocket days.

I long for the day where we see a full stadium with a token amount of supporters of the opposition and the rest of it filled with locals cheering on the mighty GC with passion and pride.

The last time we saw anything that resembled that was when GAJ did his shoulder against Collingwood. 3 years ago now I think.
Dare I say it-pre Rocket days.
If we were GWS you would not be able to get a seat in Metricon unless you were a member.

The story about the North Sydney Bears buying the Titans and rebranding them to the Gold Coast Bears has come up again because the NRL have officially put the Titans up for sale. If North Sydney are successful with their bid they will change the club's name and colours as well as playing home games in Gosford/North Sydney. I guess you could argue not having Robina Stadium next year would be a good fit to play some home games down there but I think we all know the consortium is going to eventually try to remove the Titans from the GC altogether. It also said in the report that the Titans lost $2.6 million last year and $3.4 million the year before.

The story about the North Sydney Bears buying the Titans and rebranding them to the Gold Coast Bears has come up again because the NRL have officially put the Titans up for sale. If North Sydney are successful with their bid they will change the club's name and colours as well as playing home games in Gosford/North Sydney. I guess you could argue not having Robina Stadium next year would be a good fit to play some home games down there but I think we all know the consortium is going to eventually try to remove the Titans from the GC altogether. It also said in the report that the Titans lost $2.6 million last year and $3.4 million the year before.

The Bears consortium has zero chance of succeeding.
The Daryl Kelly led consortium will buy The Titans and it will be business as usual for the Titans.
Our Rugby League team is very much on the Up and Up.

The Bears consortium has zero chance of succeeding.
The Daryl Kelly led consortium will buy The Titans and it will be business as usual for the Titans.
Our Rugby League team is very much on the Up and Up.

If Bears did manage to buy the Titans , it would have to be the deathknell of them you think.

If Bears did manage to buy the Titans , it would have to be the deathknell of them you think.

It's not going to happen I promise you, I know my Titans stuff.
If the NRL did it then they'd lose many of the Titans fans for sure.
It would be a disaster.
People won't cop being rebranded again and especially won't cop home games going to Sydney and Gosford.

The Darryl Kelly consortium has the backing of the full community and I'm sure it's got the financial clout as well.

I actually think the Titans and Suns are good for each other. Neither the nrl or afl want to be seen to lose the battleground, so both are probably ok with throwing away money in order to not lose.

If one was to fold then maybe the other might consider doing the same as well if it continued to not be viable.

But it's all short term thinking, there's no doubt that as the kids grow up the Gold Coast clubs will be very powerful.

We just need the next generation to come through.

Last edited:
It's not going to happen I promise you, I know my Titans stuff.
If the NRL did it then they'd lose many of the Titans fans for sure.
It would be a disaster.
People won't cop being rebranded again and especially won't cop home games going to Sydney and Gosford.

The Darryl Kelly consortium has the backing of the full community and I'm sure it's got the financial clout as well.

I actually think the Titans and Suns are good for each other. Neither the nrl or afl want to be seen to lose the battleground, so both are probably ok with throwing away money in order to not lose.

If one was to fold then maybe the other might consider doing the same as well if it continued to not be viable.

But it's all short term thinking, there's no doubt that as the kids grow up the Gold Coast clubs will be very powerful.

We just need the next generation to come through.
If I remember correctly the NRL actually stripped Darryl Kelly of his ownership a few years back when they went into voluntary administration and said they wouldn't give him back the millions he invested into the team. I'm all for supporting the existence of the Titans because I think the city is a better place with more professional sport but it is a business at the end of the day and you can't just keep asking for handouts. They need to find a financially viable model just like we do. Both us and them are making financial losses each year so we need to find a solution. Luckily for us we have the potential to make money from a T20 cricket team being based at Metricon so I think we will be okay in the long run but I'm not sure how much more the Titans can do. They tried a pub in Surfers Paradise and that was a disaster in the end. They went out and got possibly the biggest marquee available in Hayne and barring the honeymoon period where they pulled big crowds, they aren't really reaping much from having him if you look at their recent crowds. I don't know how they are going merchandise wise but I haven't seen too many Titans jerseys around the city so I'd guess that hasn't really changed much. What else can they do to make money?

If we were GWS you would not be able to get a seat in Metricon unless you were a member.
Yep, big believer that if GC were a consistent top four team, Carrara would not be big enough, likewise us with the Gabba if we were a consistent top four team

If I remember correctly the NRL actually stripped Darryl Kelly of his ownership a few years back when they went into voluntary administration and said they wouldn't give him back the millions he invested into the team. I'm all for supporting the existence of the Titans because I think the city is a better place with more professional sport but it is a business at the end of the day and you can't just keep asking for handouts. They need to find a financially viable model just like we do. Both us and them are making financial losses each year so we need to find a solution. Luckily for us we have the potential to make money from a T20 cricket team being based at Metricon so I think we will be okay in the long run but I'm not sure how much more the Titans can do. They tried a pub in Surfers Paradise and that was a disaster in the end. They went out and got possibly the biggest marquee available in Hayne and barring the honeymoon period where they pulled big crowds, they aren't really reaping much from having him if you look at their recent crowds. I don't know how they are going merchandise wise but I haven't seen too many Titans jerseys around the city so I'd guess that hasn't really changed much. What else can they do to make money?

You are right, I'm assuming and confident that Darryl is putting together a stronger and bigger band of brothers this time around to own the Club.
He has in his favour that the nrl surely cannot rebrand the Gold Coast again. It's just crazy stuff. In terms of Making money, I'm Afraid to say it's tv deal, sponsorships and memberships which will remain always their income streams. Their crowds of between 10000-17000 are good numbers for the nrl aside from what the Brisbane Drongoes pull.
In that nasty horrible conditions the night we lost to Collingwood they pulled a crowd of about 15000, credit to everyone that went because it kicked off as our game finished.
I have strong belief that just like with superannuation when eventually compound interest kicks in the same way it will happen as the Gold Coast grows and Our kids become adults.
In the meantime we just chip away and make little deposits into the account.

You are right, I'm assuming and confident that Darryl is putting together a stronger and bigger band of brothers this time around to own the Club.
He has in his favour that the nrl surely cannot rebrand the Gold Coast again. It's just crazy stuff. In terms of Making money, I'm Afraid to say it's tv deal, sponsorships and memberships which will remain always their income streams. Their crowds of between 10000-17000 are good numbers for the nrl aside from what the Brisbane Drongoes pull.
In that nasty horrible conditions the night we lost to Collingwood they pulled a crowd of about 15000, credit to everyone that went because it kicked off as our game finished.
I have strong belief that just like with superannuation when eventually compound interest kicks in the same way it will happen as the Gold Coast grows and Our kids become adults.
In the meantime we just chip away and make little deposits into the account.
It's tough for the Titans because they will always play second fiddle to the Broncos in terms of tv scheduling, sponsors and members. The Broncos are popular in SEQ and I think it's because they have a long history of winning premierships just like West Coast in Perth. The Broncos are also the NRL's cash cow and they wouldn't dare allow the Titans to steal any of their thunder. But to get back to the point, both Gold Coast teams should be striving for independence and to do that you need to be financially viable.
I have read about the generational change theory before on this forum and I do agree to a point in the sense that the fan bases will naturally grow as more people grow up not knowing what it was like to not have these teams. Realistically you're looking at probably a 15-20 year investment before we really see a significant generational change. So we are around halfway there although that will obviously speed up if we start winning.
Trust the process.

If anyone is interested, here are the 2017 crowd averages:

Suns: 13,706 (9 Metricon home games)
Titans: 13,165 (10 CBUS home games)

The Titans have Brisbane this weekend so they'll get a big crowd for that one. The Suns have one home game left this year against Essendon and will probably get a decent crowd for that game. You can see the two teams are pretty evenly matched in terms of the crowds they are pulling.

If anyone is interested, here are the 2017 crowd averages:

Suns: 13,706 (9 Metricon home games)
Titans: 13,165 (10 CBUS home games)

The Titans have Brisbane this weekend so they'll get a big crowd for that one. The Suns have one home game left this year against Essendon and will probably get a decent crowd for that game. You can see the two teams are pretty evenly matched in terms of the crowds they are pulling.

Given how poorly both teams have fared this year I think they have done pretty well overall.
If one has a good year and the other a bad year I think the good team could get up to 20000 average while the struggler stayed at the 10000-13000 range.
If they both went well then it becomes moot because I'd die of shock and not be there to see the glory.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's tough for the Titans because they will always play second fiddle to the Broncos in terms of tv scheduling, sponsors and members. The Broncos are popular in SEQ and I think it's because they have a long history of winning premierships just like West Coast in Perth. The Broncos are also the NRL's cash cow and they wouldn't dare allow the Titans to steal any of their thunder. But to get back to the point, both Gold Coast teams should be striving for independence and to do that you need to be financially viable.
I have read about the generational change theory before on this forum and I do agree to a point in the sense that the fan bases will naturally grow as more people grow up not knowing what it was like to not have these teams. Realistically you're looking at probably a 15-20 year investment before we really see a significant generational change. So we are around halfway there although that will obviously speed up if we start winning.
Trust the process.
I hate the Broncos more than Collingwood. Lots of my NRL mates are the same.
Go Storm!

Go Storm!
I reckon they're are double the amount of broncos supporters living on the GC then titans supporters. I rarely meet any titans fans. Mind you I rarely meet any sun's fans either.

I reckon they're are double the amount of broncos supporters living on the GC then titans supporters. I rarely meet any titans fans. Mind you I rarely meet any sun's fans either.

The Cronulla Sharks came into the NRL in 1967. I grew up there.
I can tell you that in the 70s, 80s and early 90s it was all St George and Souths supporters there too, people didn't really passionately support the Sharks either, then in the late 90s as the next generation came through the passion and support for that club really kicked in.
Nowadays that whole district "the Shire" are insanely behind them.

It's just a slow burn building that support, Titans and Suns fans are pioneers as such and you just have to dig in and keep chipping away at it.

We have a much bigger population than the Sutherland Shire so we have that in our favour so rather than taking 30 years maybe we can do it in more like 15-20.

Go Storm!

What the bloody hell eppo. You wrote about your hate of Collingwood and Brisbane Drongoes and I was loving you and then you say "Go Storm".
Come on man, get behind the Titans.
They suck as much as The Suns sure however we are Gold Coast.

See you at Robina on Saturday arvo.

What the bloody hell eppo. You wrote about your hate of Collingwood and Brisbane Drongoes and I was loving you and then you say "Go Storm".
Come on man, get behind the Titans.
They suck as much as The Suns sure however we are Gold Coast.

See you at Robina on Saturday arvo.
Sorry l'm a Melbourne boy and started watching them when they formed.
Purple only for me my friend.
I have a man crush on Smith (apart from him being a mad Hawks man).
Bellamy is also the best football Coach in Australia.

Sorry l'm a Melbourne boy and started watching them when they formed.
Purple only for me my friend.
I have a man crush on Smith (apart from him being a mad Hawks man).
Bellamy is also the best football Coach in Australia.

Well that's the thinking that is slowing down the growth of The Suns too, people saying I'm a Collingwood boy, I'm an Adelaide boy, my family have always supported Richmond etc etc

I'll drop it now though.

Well that's the thinking that is slowing down the growth of The Suns too, people saying I'm a Collingwood boy, I'm an Adelaide boy, my family have always supported Richmond etc etc

I'll drop it now though.
This is where the highly spoken about "generational change" comes into play. Like it not, the majority of Suns fans/members right now are Victorian expats who moved to the Gold Coast and have a previous affiliation with another AFL team. The fan base is a mixed bunch who have all kinds of different backgrounds. Once you see the next wave of supporters come through that are lifelong fans and have lived their whole life on the GC, I'm pretty sure the supporter culture will change and they will take more ownership of the team's performance/will become more demanding of results.

This is where the highly spoken about "generational change" comes into play. Like it not, the majority of Suns fans/members right now are Victorian expats who moved to the Gold Coast and have a previous affiliation with another AFL team. The fan base is a mixed bunch who have all kinds of different backgrounds. Once you see the next wave of supporters come through that are lifelong fans and have lived their whole life on the GC, I'm pretty sure the supporter culture will change and they will take more ownership of the team's performance/will become more demanding of results.

Oh yeah Matchu and don't I know it. The members around me just lack that passion that I want. They don't fire Up and then it's explained when once a year they turn up in opposition gear and hate on their local team.
It makes me bitter but at the same time we need their money so you grit your teeth, bite your lip and pretend that it's all good.

Oh yeah Matchu and don't I know it. The members around me just lack that passion that I want. They don't fire Up and then it's explained when once a year they turn up in opposition gear and hate on their local team.
It makes me bitter but at the same time we need their money so you grit your teeth, bite your lip and pretend that it's all good.
Sorry but l go to Melbourne a bit and the crowds are nothing like when l was growing up.
They are much more subdued than they used to be.
Also we Gold Coasters are much more chilled because we are not all Vitamin D deficient.

You're ahead of your time, mate. You're obviously very passionate about Gold Coast sport and you don't let some silly 100+ year old colonial rivalry between Melburnians and Sydneysiders influence your allegiance. You're committed to the Gold Coast, not Aussie rules or rugby league. That's admirable given the current climate.

I can honestly say I've never seen the Gold Coast community so united behind their team like I did back in the early years with the Titans. Everyone wanted to see the team win and you had household names like Prince, Campbell, Rogers etc. that the locals loved. Unfortunately, I just don't see that mass passion anymore. I hope things change for both teams in the near future because it used to be really exciting when the Titans were a top 4 team.

I was born and bred in Mentone (Bayside Melbourne) and fanatically followed St kilda from the 1970s until the Suns started. I moved the Coast in September 2001.
Although l follow the Suns l also follow St kilda but l would never wear St kilda gear and am absolutely sold over to the Suns now no question.
The Suns are so many peoples second team which l think when success comes will actually be an attribute.

You're ahead of your time, mate. You're obviously very passionate about Gold Coast sport and you don't let some silly 100+ year old colonial rivalry between Melburnians and Sydneysiders influence your allegiance. You're committed to the Gold Coast, not Aussie rules or rugby league. That's admirable given the current climate.

I can honestly say I've never seen the Gold Coast community so united behind their team like I did back in the early years with the Titans. Everyone wanted to see the team win and you had household names like Prince, Campbell, Rogers etc. that the locals loved. Unfortunately, I just don't see that mass passion anymore. I hope things change for both teams in the near future because it used to be really exciting when the Titans were a top 4 team.

Oh yeah they were fun days, personality players like you mentioned and 20000 per game no dramas.
But Rugby League is a working class game and Michael Searle with his Titans Centre of Excellence ripped off a lot of tradies and word got right around the Coast about that so all that goodwill was lost amongst the Codes and the teams bread and butter.
Subsequently The Titans are now also very much in the Suns slow burn category now too.

But but but, for both teams there are a stack of hipsters, uni nerds, hot young chicky babes and surfy dudes who will jump on the bandwagon epically if either or both have a good season and look like being contenders.

Just gotta get it done on the field and the attendances for either or both will hit 25000 in a flash.

That night against Collingwood a few years ago when Ablett did his shoulder was a moment in time when The Suns were about to be absolutely huge.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back