Analysis Single Malt GC Sporting Updates (TITANS NEWZ)

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d like another A league and a BBL franchise as i would certainly support and attend as would my young boys.

I just cannot get into NRL. It seems a stupid sport. I watch almost every sport there is too. But league (and union) just are not entertaining to me nor intresting. So i wont attend nor watch on tv.
But i wish them well i guess.

I think most Gold Coasters will eventually head in the same direction. They may not watch ALL Suns/Titans games but being aware of how they are going is a start. I'd love to see our city turn into something similar to Boston in the US where they support all the teams to a degree. Obviously you have your favourite sport/s but you can also be happy/feel pride when other teams in your city are doing well. Don't forget, a lot of these guys in our teams grew up with us and are locals. Both the Titans and Suns are filled with PBC graduates.

I think early days both codes where at fault , AFL recruited some of rugby's biggest names , and NRL had AFL hater Searl leading the charge of the Titans , and i heard yesterday a Suns player is neighbours with a Titans player and become best of mates , to the point asking if the Titans player could use some facilties at Suns HQ.

Paul Keating once said "If you're Australian and you don't live in Sydney, you're just camping out."
We know there's two types of Aussies: Queenslanders and those who wish they were Queenslanders.
Down in Melbourne you find people from all over the country, but the locals aren't too parochial (unless you raise Dean Jones and Brad Hodge). Everyone has a team - my daughter's school is infested with Pies supporters and she threatens each season to ditch the Suns and go for Collingwood, but I tell if she does she'll be dead to me. But you never really hear people cheering for Victoria in sport, certainly not anything like State of Origin, despite Victoria inventing the concept - AFL ditched S.O.O. because the Allies were shaping up as the best team with Voss, Aker, Hird, Buckley, Richo etc

I think early days both codes where at fault , AFL recruited some of rugby's biggest names , and NRL had AFL hater Searl leading the charge of the Titans , and i heard yesterday a Suns player is neighbours with a Titans player and become best of mates , to the point asking if the Titans player could use some facilties at Suns HQ.

Searle is most definitely no longer welcome on the GC and it would be best for him to never return or be seen here again

Paul Keating once said "If you're Australian and you don't live in Sydney, you're just camping out."
We know there's two types of Aussies: Queenslanders and those who wish they were Queenslanders.
Down in Melbourne you find people from all over the country, but the locals aren't too parochial (unless you raise Dean Jones and Brad Hodge). Everyone has a team - my daughter's school is infested with Pies supporters and she threatens each season to ditch the Suns and go for Collingwood, but I tell if she does she'll be dead to me. But you never really hear people cheering for Victoria in sport, certainly not anything like State of Origin, despite Victoria inventing the concept - AFL ditched S.O.O. because the Allies were shaping up as the best team with Voss, Aker, Hird, Buckley, Richo etc
State of Origin works best when it's just 2 teams ie Blue v Maroon (NSW v QLD). Because every State plays AFL in some degree it was never going to last with WA, SA, VIC, TAS, NT and ALLIES. You can't build up that rivalry like just 2 States playing each other year after year.

I’d like another A league and a BBL franchise as i would certainly support and attend as would my young boys.

I just cannot get into NRL. It seems a stupid sport. I watch almost every sport there is too. But league (and union) just are not entertaining to me nor intresting. So i wont attend nor watch on tv.
But i wish them well i guess.
That's fine. There's no point in trying to watch something you're not interested in. But it's commendable that you added you wish them well.

I feel the same way about golf. It just does nothing for me and I find it boring.

Personally, I think a GC Big Bash team would probably be the most supported team in the city because cricket seems to be the one thing most AFL and NRL fans can agree on.

State of Origin works best when it's just 2 teams ie Blue v Maroon (NSW v QLD). Because every State plays AFL in some degree it was never going to last with WA, SA, VIC, TAS, NT and ALLIES. You can't build up that rivalry like just 2 States playing each other year after year.

I would love a SOO series featuring Vic, SA, WA and Allies.
The AFL Season could start last weekend at the same time as the NRL and you can have a 2 week break in the middle of the season for the SOO Series.
Of course you will need those genius administrators at AFL House to grow a spine and ensure you don’t have these joke withdrawal of players that is what destroyed it.

I would love a SOO series featuring Vic, SA, WA and Allies.
The AFL Season could start last weekend at the same time as the NRL and you can have a 2 week break in the middle of the season for the SOO Series.
Of course you will need those genius administrators at AFL House to grow a spine and ensure you don’t have these joke withdrawal of players that is what destroyed it.
Yeah but clubs wont allow players to do it. Most realistic slot for AFL SoO is post finals.
I think SA v VIC is a must. Maybe WA v Allies with the winner playing winner of SA V VIC.

Allies is QLD, NSW, TAS, ACT and NT. Notable players for The Allies were Michael Voss (QLD), Jason Akermanis (QLD), Marcus Ashcroft (QLD), Nathan Buckley (NT), Ronnie Burns (NT), Shane Crawford (NSW), James Hird (ACT), Andrew McLeod (NT) and Matthew Richardson (TAS). They only played in the 90s, but defeated WA a couple of times and gave the Big V a couple of scares in competitive games. In AFLW, the Allies are every State and Territory against Victoria, which wasn't exactly a good concept.

Bringing back State of Origin would be amazing. The previous format was more of a rolling winners vs winners and losers vs losers because each year you have 2 winners and 2 losers from the 2 games, which is why Allies never played SA on account of beating WA and losing to VIC in alternating years. The Suns should be pushing for the concept to come back and go for hosting rights.

Crowd figures for Suns and Titans in 2018:

Round 1 Titans v Raiders (Sun, 11 Mar, 6.30pm)
Robina Stadium: 10,238

Round 8 Titans v Sharks (Sat, 28 Apr, 5.30pm)
Robina Stadium: 12,713

Round 11 Titans v Knights (Sat, 19 May, 3.00pm)
Robina Stadium: 11,008

Round 11 Suns v Cats (Sat, 2 Jun, 4.35pm)
Carrara Stadium: 17,490

Round 14 Titans v Rabbitohs (Fri, 8 Jun, 7.50pm)
Robina Stadium: 11,833

Round 13 Suns v Saints (Sat, 16 Jun, 4.35pm)
Carrara Stadium: 10,181

Round 15 Suns v Magpies (Sat, 30 Jun, 7.25pm)
Carrara Stadium: 13,637

Round 17 Titans v Broncos (Sun, 8 Jul, 4.10pm)
Robina Stadium: 18,005

Same Weekend
Round 17 Suns v Bombers (Sat, 14 Jul, 7.25pm)
Carrara Stadium: 13,061
Round 18 Titans v Roosters (Sun, 15 Jul, 6.30pm)
Robina Stadium: 10,074

Same Weekend
Round 19 Suns v Blues (Sat, 28 Jul, 7.25pm)
Carrara Stadium: 10,776
Round 20 Titans v Warriors (Sun, 29 Jul, 2.00pm)
Robina Stadium: 15,149

Head to Head
Round 21 Suns v Tigers (Sat, 11 Aug, 2.10pm)
Carrara Stadium: 18,102
Round 22 Titans v Panthers (Sat, 11 Aug, 3.00pm)
Robina Stadium: 11,283

Round 22 Suns v Lions (Sat, 18 Aug, 7.25pm)
Carrara Stadium: 11,907

Round 24 Titans v Storm (Sat, 25 Aug, 5.30pm)
Robina Stadium: 14,266

Round 25 Titans v Cowboys (Sat, 1 Sep, 5.30pm)
Robina Stadium: 26,681

2018 Highest Attendance: 26,681 (Titans v Cowboys)
2018 Lowest Attendance: 10,074 (Titans v Roosters)
2018 Head to Head Ledger: 1-0 (in the Suns' favour)
2018 Same Weekend Ledger: 1-1
2018 Suns Crowd Average: 13,593 (95,154 in 7 games)
2018 Titans Crowd Average: 14,125 (141,250 in 10 games)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For sure this didn't help and I think it added to the overall problem. If anyone went to school in Queensland like I did you would know the ridicule you would receive if you let it be known you followed/played AFL. For a while I felt like I had my back to the wall and that I had to defend myself by lowering myself to their level and taking cheap shots at their sport. I eventually learned that achieves nothing.

We have to realise that people who take shots at another code are just feeling insecure/threatened about their own code, for whatever reason. I'd like to think we're better than that.

I saw on Tuesday night on fox sports news that Paul Kent (I think that was his name) had said on NRL 360 that the AFL is like a virus and is slowly taking over what were once strong RL areas is now seeing 4 goal posts going up everywhere.. I thought would’ve been big news in afl media but been searching online for it and haven’t been able to find it

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I saw on Tuesday night on fox sports news that Paul Kent (I think that was his name) had said on NRL 360 that the AFL is like a virus and is slowly taking over what were once strong RL areas is now seeing 4 goal posts going up everywhere.. I thought would’ve been big news in afl media but been searching online for it and haven’t been able to find it

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
It's definitely noticeable just driving around S.E. QLD.
Not suprised Vic media isn't mentioning it. Goes against the drain on resources narrative they all enjoy.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not suprised Vic media isn't mentioning it. Goes against the drain on resources narrative they all enjoy.

As long as Victorians, South Australians and Tasmanians move to the Goldy en-masse, the sport of Australian rules footy will always be relevant there

Yeah and it's not like people in Victoria, SA or WA are getting into NRL seems to be even less supporter than 5 years ago

There are thousands of people waiting to jump on a Titans or Suns bandwagon.
Both stadiums would fill if either or both teams have a sniff of the top 8
I don't think there's enough evidence to suggest one way or the other with the Suns because we've never really spent a solid amount of time in the top 8 to know how the public would react if we did. The Titans on the other hand have. The last time they made the top 8 was in 2016 but they only averaged 13 thousand to their home games that year and that number was significantly boosted by the arrival of Jarryd Hayne late in the season so the figure is probably a bit more inflated than it actually should be if you were being fair. Robina stadium was about half full on average that season.

I'm sorry mate. I'd love to agree with you but the numbers don't really lie. I think it'll take more than just 'having a sniff of the top 8' to pull the big crowds in this city.

I don't think there's enough evidence to suggest one way or the other with the Suns because we've never really spent a solid amount of time in the top 8 to know how the public would react if we did. The Titans on the other hand have. The last time they made the top 8 was in 2016 but they only averaged 13 thousand to their home games that year and that number was significantly boosted by the arrival of Jarryd Hayne late in the season so the figure is probably a bit more inflated than it actually should be if you were being fair. Robina stadium was about half full on average that season.

I'm sorry mate. I'd love to agree with you but the numbers don't really lie. I think it'll take more than just 'having a sniff of the top 8' to pull the big crowds in this city.
They weren't in the eight until later in the season

The crowds the Titans were getting in 2008-10 and Suns in early 2014 proves both GC teams will be fine if they are competitive

They weren't in the eight until later in the season

The crowds the Titans were getting in 2008-10 and Suns in early 2014 proves both GC teams will be fine if they are competitive
They were in the top 8 three of the first four weeks that season actually. I just had a little look at how that season played out for them and found they spent 11 weeks of the 24 round season in the top 8. They spent a further 10 weeks placed 9th or 10th so they definitely had a sniff of the top 8 for almost all of the 2016 season. We can agree to disagree but I think being placed 10th or higher for 21 of 24 weeks should fit the criteria Mr Bods set out.

Another thing I'd like to ask Mr Bods is what he thinks about the news that the Titans are chasing Israel Folau. Do you think that's really in the best interests of the club right now?

They were in the top 8 three of the first four weeks that season actually. I just had a little look at how that season played out for them and found they spent 11 weeks of the 24 round season in the top 8. They spent a further 10 weeks placed 9th or 10th so they definitely had a sniff of the top 8 for almost all of the 2016 season. We can agree to disagree but I think being placed 10th or higher for 21 of 24 weeks should fit the criteria Mr Bods set out.

Another thing I'd like to ask Mr Bods is what he thinks about the news that the Titans are chasing Israel Folau. Do you think that's really in the best interests of the club right now?

Folau-NO!! When are we going to learn that we need to be a working class team and not have marquee big names as headline acts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back