Analysis Single Malt GC Sporting Updates (TITANS NEWZ)

Remove this Banner Ad

I know nobody gives a rats but just got home from Lang Park seeing the Titans have a crack and beat the Drongoes.
Both the Suns and Titans won this weekend and both teams are generally having a crack under the new coaches.
Another scotch thanks
Woo Hoo
Love the Beautiful City

All we need now is for Sally to do her thing.....

Kayne Elgey running with Comm Games Baton at 240pm

Board Members Sam Riley and Brooke Hanson running with it at various stages and Ex Chairman John Witheriff but unfortunately I didn’t see any of our Suns players listed to have a run.

Last edited:

I know nobody gives a rats but just got home from Lang Park seeing the Titans have a crack and beat the Drongoes.
Both the Suns and Titans won this weekend and both teams are generally having a crack under the new coaches.
Another scotch thanks
Woo Hoo
Love the Beautiful City

Watched the game they played well bodsy , both teams on the up.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Another scotch thanks
Woo Hoo
Love the Beautiful City
Sami played well, has been a good pick up

Another scotch thanks
Woo Hoo
Love the Beautiful City
I wouldn't say nobody gives a rats. It's always nice when our little city gets one up on our bigger brothers up the road. I didn't realise they hadn't beaten the Broncos at Suncorp since 2007. I remember I went to the second Titans-Broncos game at Suncorp back in late 2007 and Darren Lockyer kicked a field goal to win it in extra time. Pretty flat feeling on the train back to the Coast that night.

Matchu I hope you don’t include the 5000 that attended today’s Titans game on your stats.
Both Suns/Titans are 6th. After drama filled horrible years I’d say both sets of fans are pretty pleased with the new Coaches and the direction they are headed in.

I have 2 favourite NRL teams: the mighty, mighty Tigers and whoever is playing against Manly this weekend, which happens to be the **** this week. Thank you for reminding Daly Traitor-Evans that Manly suck and why the Queensland selectors are right to question his loyalty.

Matchu I hope you don’t include the 5000 that attended today’s Titans game on your stats.
Both Suns/Titans are 6th. After drama filled horrible years I’d say both sets of fans are pretty pleased with the new Coaches and the direction they are headed in.
Nah mate. I previously posted in this thread that I won't be including any crowds outside of the Gold Coast this year. Would be pretty silly to include the Suns' 'home' crowd of 33k in Perth yesterday.

We've had just one game on the GC this year (Titans v Raiders - 10k) and have to wait another three weeks until the next one (Titans v Sharks @ Robina). Still another seven weeks to go until the Suns play their first 2018 game at Metricon.

Thoughts Mr Bods ? will they walk or just trying to get best deal possible

Last edited:

Yeah yeah this is unreal
The pressure is well and truly on Stadium Queensland now.
Titans bringing this to a head could lead to them doing the Suns a huge favour.
The Suns are even more unhappy with their deal than the Titans are which is really saying something.

With Rebecca Frizelle putting the heat on and Premier Palaszczuk now personally involved I’m sensing this being sorted to the Titans and then Suns satisfaction.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gold Coast Titans threaten to leave Cbus Super Stadium as Stadiums Queensland stoush worsens
59dbfa5487ffcde33eb5d38b7a3ee09d

THE Titans have sensationally threatened to abandon Cbus Super Stadium as the war between the state’s footy clubs and the Government over price-gouging looks set to spark widespread bloodletting at Stadiums Queensland

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has vowed heads will roll on the Stadiums Queensland board after a special investigation by The Courier-Mail and The Sunday Mail revealed our elite footy codes were being taxed to the point of bankruptcy.

STAYING: Green re-signs with Cowboys

BEAT: Why Green turned down Brisbane

It can be revealed the Government has already held clandestine meetings with senior business and sporting figures canvassing their interest in joining SQ.

269bdddd3cc69276088552beb986aefd

Could the Titans abandon their home?
The Premier’s declaration was met by a chorus of support from NRL and AFL clubs and the QRU, who had been planning a joint submission to the Government demanding reform.

The spat between the Titans, Stadiums Queensland and sports minister Mick de Brenni turned ugly after SQ issued a provocative statement at the weekend suggesting the club had sought Government subsidies to stay afloat.

The Courier-Mail has learnt that in a tense round of high-level negotiations, the Titans issued the explosive threat to sell home games to other venues both within Queensland and interstate, leaving Cbus Super Stadium as a $160 million white elephant.

The Titans’ temporary rental agreement at Cbus expires after their next home game against the Sharks on April 28.

9de96dea70c94969997811f4ac64d875

The recent matches in Toowoomba and Gladstone have opened the club’s eyes.
Titans officials got a taste of life away from the yoke of Stadiums Queensland when they went on the road to Toowoomba and Gladstone recently and were thrilled with the operational ease and commercial success of hosting those matches.

Sunshine Coast Stadium and Coffs Harbour are two other regional venues understood to be on the Titans’ radar.

It is understood powerful Titans co-owner Rebecca Frizelle entered the stoush on Monday, and by the close of business an uneasy truce had been struck with shell-shocked de Brenni.

But de Brenni remains under immense pressure to implement change after the Premier made clear her disapproval of the greedy operating Stadiums Queensland policy.

“We’re going to be having a really good look at that issue,’’ Ms Palaszczuk said.

“I’ve been discussing that with Mick de Brenni and Kate Jones ... there will be a shake-up of the (SQ) board, that’s step No.1.

a48b549b2edd19a0c4beb8bc278e8a53

Could Cbus Super Stadium be without a tenant?
“And step No. 2, we will be doing a thorough review, because what we have seen is that the Queensland public want to come out and support our sports in this state.’’

Titans CEO Graham Annesley said his club welcomed the Premier’s position after a three-year stalemate in negotiations to secure a sustainable hiring arrangement with Stadiums Queensland that would at least compare to that of rivals in other states.

“Of course, we desperately want to play most of our future games at Cbus in front of our own members and supporters,” Annesley said.

“We remain ready to discuss a long-term deal with the Government that takes into consideration the specific issues associated with Cbus Stadium as a regional venue with significant transport and access difficulties.”

Yeah yeah this is unreal
The pressure is well and truly on Stadium Queensland now.
Titans bringing this to a head could lead to them doing the Suns a huge favour.
The Suns are even more unhappy with their deal than the Titans are which is really saying something.

With Rebecca Frizelle putting the heat on and Premier Palaszczuk now personally involved I’m sensing this being sorted to the Titans and then Suns satisfaction.
I thought the Suns had sole management right ? Or has that deal expired ?

Here an article from Andrew Hamilton about the deal
THE Gold Coast Suns have hit paydirt in the countdown to their first AFL season with building giant Metricon forking out $3 million for the naming rights to the stadium at Carrara.

Home builders Metricon have signed a deal, believed to be between $600,000 to $700,000 a year, for the naming rights of the soon-to-be-completed Carrara stadium. It is believed the Suns will announce the five-year deal at a press conference with Queensland Sport Minister Phil Reeves at Carrara today.

The deal is a big windfall for the Suns, who received sole management rights of the stadium as part of the deal for struck to carry out the $144 million redevelopment. As the AFL contributed to the construction, the State Government handed over management rights to the AFL, which passed them on to the Gold Coast FC.

That means any income generated, such as signage and food and beverage sales, goes into club coffers. The Suns can also hire out the venue in summer to cricket or as a concert venue.

But the easy cash comes in the naming rights. Unlike other AFL arenas with naming rights sponsors, such as Etihad Stadium, Perth's Paterson's Stadium and Adelaide's AAMI Stadium, the Suns do not have to share the income.

It gives the Suns a significant advantage over cross-town rivals the Titans, who are not direct beneficiaries of the income from the naming rights contract at Skilled Park.

That goes to venue manager Stadiums Queensland.

I thought the Suns had sole management right ? Or has that deal expired ?

Here an article from Andrew Hamilton about the deal
THE Gold Coast Suns have hit paydirt in the countdown to their first AFL season with building giant Metricon forking out $3 million for the naming rights to the stadium at Carrara.

Home builders Metricon have signed a deal, believed to be between $600,000 to $700,000 a year, for the naming rights of the soon-to-be-completed Carrara stadium. It is believed the Suns will announce the five-year deal at a press conference with Queensland Sport Minister Phil Reeves at Carrara today.

The deal is a big windfall for the Suns, who received sole management rights of the stadium as part of the deal for struck to carry out the $144 million redevelopment. As the AFL contributed to the construction, the State Government handed over management rights to the AFL, which passed them on to the Gold Coast FC.

That means any income generated, such as signage and food and beverage sales, goes into club coffers. The Suns can also hire out the venue in summer to cricket or as a concert venue.

But the easy cash comes in the naming rights. Unlike other AFL arenas with naming rights sponsors, such as Etihad Stadium, Perth's Paterson's Stadium and Adelaide's AAMI Stadium, the Suns do not have to share the income.

It gives the Suns a significant advantage over cross-town rivals the Titans, who are not direct beneficiaries of the income from the naming rights contract at Skilled Park.

That goes to venue manager Stadiums Queensland.

Annesley told me sometime in November that the Suns are envious of The Titans current game by game deal.

I think what he then said was along the lines that managing the Stadium has been a huge pain for our admin staff and that our stadium simply doesn’t have enough events in it every year to make it viable for us.

Don’t take my contribution there as gospel as I’m lacking confidence in my own memory here.

Last edited:
Annesley told me sometime in November that the Suns are envious of The Titans current game by game deal.

I think what he then said was along the lines that managing the Stadium has been a huge pain for our admin staff and that our stadium simply doesn’t have enough events in it every year to make it viable for us.
Our admin staff couldn't organise a root in a brothel.

The sooner we get a Big Bash team the better.

The latest articke from the courier mail on the weekend, suggested despite having management rights the suns still pay SQ as much as 1 million per game as well as 800k a year for maintenance.

NRL, AFL and Super Rugby unite to fight soaring rents and levies from Stadiums Queensland
Peter Badel, Andrew Hamilton, The Sunday Mail (Qld)
April 15, 2018 12:00am
Subscriber only
STADIUMS Queensland has been accused of price gouging the state’s top sports clubs and their fans, with calls for board members to be sacked for imposing soaring rents and levies at major sporting venues.

Southeast Queensland’s NRL, AFL and Super Rugby clubs are so concerned about the fees that they are planning to join together to force a shake-up of the Government body, Stadiums Queensland, The Sunday Mail has learnt.

They claim they are paying rents and transport levies at Queensland stadiums that are between three and five times greater than other states, forcing some clubs to slash staff and penny pinch just to stay afloat.

Suns chairman Tony Cochrane has called for the board to be sacked, describing the organisation as “a disgrace’’.

“They should be sacked and a body put in place that supports sport in this state,’’ he said.

It is understood Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk is contemplating a major shake-up of the board and its structure, with a review underway.

Stadiums Queensland manages the state’s largest venues, including Suncorp Stadium, The Gabba, the 1300SMILES Stadium in Townsville and Metricon Stadium and Cbus Super Stadium on the Gold Coast.

Full Stadiums Queensland response below

It is run by a board of directors, who report to Minister for Sport Mick de Brenni.

Confidential financial records obtained by The Sunday Mail reveal millions of sporting dollars are pouring into Government coffers through the Stadium Queensland deals.

While Queensland’s clubs all face different challenges, they are all stung by the Government levies on policing and transport that runs into the millions.
The NRL has confirmed its Queensland based clubs had the most expensive rental and operating costs in the competition.

While ANZ Stadium offers sweetheart deals to Sydney clubs, the NRL was forced to save the Titans from bankruptcy in 2012 and last December sold the club to private owners after being crippled by the Government’s annual $1.3 million hiring fee.

“We are working with the stadiums in Queensland to bring venue hire agreements in line with the rest of the Australian market,” an NRL spokesman said.

The Titans have refused to sign a contract with Stadiums Queensland since 2016 because they could not achieve a fair deal and instead rent Cbus Stadium on a game by game basis for about a staggering $110,000 per game.

The situation for the Gold Coast Suns who lose millions every year is even more dire and with the Tasmanian Government circling, the club’s future on the glitter strip cannot be guaranteed.
Their stadium deal struck by then AFL chief operating officer and now CEO Gillon McLachlan, which runs for 20 years and has no review clause written in, is the worst in Australian sport.

They pay close to $1 million annually, which increases with inflation, into a sinking fund and must also spend $700,000 annually on maintenance of Metricon Stadium.

The Cowboys say they would refuse to sign any deal on their new stadium that included such a fee.

It costs about $4 million per year to operate Metricon Stadium and while the AFL is unlikely to pull out while the people behind the expansion such as McLachlan remain in charge, there are legitimate fears that as power changes hands the league will grow tired of pumping cash into an organisation that is handcuffed to an unsustainable commercial arrangement.

99d4b881f5999712b896995c6e9c0321

The Broncos have the best deal from the government with Suncorp Stadium, but are still stung with fees their southern counterparts aren’t charged.
Even the jewel-in-the-crown Broncos, who have by far the best arrangement with the Government, get slugged with well over $1 million in levies their interstate competitors escape.

The biggest AFL and NRL clubs in the country don’t pay a public transport levy and the standard contribution to the cost of policing and infrastructure is about $1.20 per ticket.

Free transport is not included. The Suns pay almost $8 a ticket.

Stadiums Queensland says taxpayers should not foot the bill for costs associated with hosting sporting events when the Government had made considerable investment in construction of the facilities. Levy prices were fixed by TransLink and Queensland Police.

“Under this model, the hirer receives the majority of game-day revenue such as ticketing, signage, sponsorship and this means in Queensland, unlike many other states, our clubs have a greater potential to derive revenue from their events,’’ a spokesman said.

The codes reject that view.

02f5306a0a0273d0eb719457a5b1c3a7

High fees at the Gabba is stopping the Brisbane Lions from turning a profit.
The Lions’ inability to post a profit stems from an annual rental at the Gabba of about $1 million a year and an additional $800,000 in transport and police costs.

The Reds and Roar face the biggest levies of the Brisbane-based clubs.

The Roar pay a levy on tickets scanned at the gate which means they only pay for fans who attend the matches.

The QRU is slugged on every ticket issued which means they still incur the levy, believed to be about $4, even when members don’t turn up.

“The QRU believes there should be equity around transport levies applied to Queensland professional sporting teams and that any levy should be applied against tickets scanned at the gate,’’ a spokesman said.

A Stadiums Queensland spokesperson’s response to the following questions:

Does there need to be an overhaul of Stadiums Queensland given rentals and operating costs for our clubs are the most expensive in the country?

· While there are subtle differences between each hiring arrangement, the same commercial model is applied from venue to venue regardless of the code.

· The hirer pays the costs of hosting the events (eg. police costs, staff costs, public transport, cleaning, video screen production, etc.), as these services are essential to ensure patron safety, customer services and successful staging of the event.

· The stadium rental component is only a very small percentage of the overall event cost and the majority of the hirers expense relate to services provided.

· All expenses associated with game day service provision are market-tested (eg. cleaning, security) or set by external agencies (eg. TransLink, Queensland Police Service).

Under this model, the hirer receives the majority of game-day revenue such as ticketing, signage, sponsorship and this means in Queensland, unlike many other states, our clubs have a greater potential to derive revenue from their events.

Given the high potential for revenue for these commercially-run businesses, taxpayers should not be expected to bear the costs of staging these commercial events when the government has provided considerable capital investment to construct these facilities.

Is it a concern that the Gabba, our major cricket and AFL stadium, has fallen behind the rest of the country?

· SQ continues to work with the Queensland Government to review the ways in which it can enhance patron experiences at the Gabba.

· SQ has invested in long-term planning for the venue, including a Vision and Masterplan, to help inform future development opportunities and leverage precinct connectivity associated with the Cross River Rail project.

· SQ has also improved facilities at The Gabba in the shorter term, with two LED video screens and a $1.3 million lighting upgrade as well as upgraded retail and food and beverage facilities completed at the venue in recent years.

SQ is investing across its portfolio, including major capital investment by government across Queensland sports infrastructure including: in excess of $3m for the installation of two new IAF standard tracks at QSAC, the $44m Queensland State Netball Centre (under construction), the $250m North Queensland Stadium (under construction) and the $59 million Anna Meares Velodrome.

There has also been significant investment with Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games.

Why do Qld clubs pay transport levies that do not apply in other states and why do these apply to all tickets when not every fan travels by public transport?

SQ implements the Queensland Government policy of integrated ticketing, which provides patrons with ‘free’ public transport to events at SQ venues in south east Queensland.

Public transport services apply for the provision of special or additional services to meet the additional demand associated with a major event and part of that cost is passed on to the hirer via the transport levy.

This policy has been proven to reduce traffic congestion in and around venues on game-day.

Why is the levy different for every club?

The specifics of commercial hire terms cannot be disclosed, and while there are difference in every hiring agreement, overall the benefits are of similar value, which results in an equitable net balance across the events of our anchor tenants.

The levies reflect the cost and type of transport available in the region.

Why has it been impossible to find a fair stadium deal for the Gold Coast Titans?

SQ has worked closely with the NRL and Gold Coast Titans to ensure an appropriate commercial deal is in place to host its events.

SQ cannot comment on the particulars of any contracts as they are commercial in confidence, however the Titans deal is fair and similar to all clubs operating out of SQvenues.

While there may be differences between the hiring agreements of each of our tenants, overall the benefits are of similar value, which results in an equitable net balance across the events of our anchor tenants.

· The Queensland Government has made it clear to the NRL that the Government is not in a position to subsidise the operations of the Titans.

Why do the Gold Coast Suns pay a sinking fund when other tenants of other stadiums don’t?

· The AFL leases Metricon Stadium, with day to day management responsibility and operation controlled by the Gold Coast Suns.

· Under this agreement, the Gold Coast Suns accept responsibility for all operational and management arrangements at the venue, including maintenance and asset replacement.

Under the lease, the Gold Coast Suns retain all revenues from all events and activities at the stadium.

To ensure the venue is maintained to a world-class standard, maintenance and asset enhancement obligations are met by the Gold Coast Suns.

These are the terms the AFL negotiated prior to signing the lease for the management, operating costs and commercial benefits arising from the venue.

It isn’t fair on Queensland taxpayers to allow a commercially successful operation like the AFL to take all profits, without contributing to the maintenance and asset enhancement of Metricon Stadium.

The Gold Coast Suns are the only professional sporting franchise in Qld managing and operating their home venue.

Will the Cowboys also be charged a sinking fund?

Terms associated with the North Queensland Stadium are still under negotiation however the Cowboys’ current model where the club hires the stadium on a game by game basis, is expected to continue with the new

template
8fd5b101e8274beaf58a1ecfb6a81c08

NRL, AFL and Super Rugby unite to fight soaring rents and levies from Stadiums Queensland
Peter Badel, Andrew Hamilton, The Sunday Mail (Qld)
April 15, 2018 12:00am
Subscriber only
STADIUMS Queensland has been accused of price gouging the state’s top sports clubs and their fans, with calls for board members to be sacked for imposing soaring rents and levies at major sporting venues.

Southeast Queensland’s NRL, AFL and Super Rugby clubs are so concerned about the fees that they are planning to join together to force a shake-up of the Government body, Stadiums Queensland, The Sunday Mail has learnt.

They claim they are paying rents and transport levies at Queensland stadiums that are between three and five times greater than other states, forcing some clubs to slash staff and penny pinch just to stay afloat.

Suns chairman Tony Cochrane has called for the board to be sacked, describing the organisation as “a disgrace’’.

“They should be sacked and a body put in place that supports sport in this state,’’ he said.

It is understood Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk is contemplating a major shake-up of the board and its structure, with a review underway.

Stadiums Queensland manages the state’s largest venues, including Suncorp Stadium, The Gabba, the 1300SMILES Stadium in Townsville and Metricon Stadium and Cbus Super Stadium on the Gold Coast.

Full Stadiums Queensland response below

It is run by a board of directors, who report to Minister for Sport Mick de Brenni.

Confidential financial records obtained by The Sunday Mail reveal millions of sporting dollars are pouring into Government coffers through the Stadium Queensland deals.

While Queensland’s clubs all face different challenges, they are all stung by the Government levies on policing and transport that runs into the millions.
The NRL has confirmed its Queensland based clubs had the most expensive rental and operating costs in the competition.

While ANZ Stadium offers sweetheart deals to Sydney clubs, the NRL was forced to save the Titans from bankruptcy in 2012 and last December sold the club to private owners after being crippled by the Government’s annual $1.3 million hiring fee.

“We are working with the stadiums in Queensland to bring venue hire agreements in line with the rest of the Australian market,” an NRL spokesman said.

The Titans have refused to sign a contract with Stadiums Queensland since 2016 because they could not achieve a fair deal and instead rent Cbus Stadium on a game by game basis for about a staggering $110,000 per game.

The situation for the Gold Coast Suns who lose millions every year is even more dire and with the Tasmanian Government circling, the club’s future on the glitter strip cannot be guaranteed.
Their stadium deal struck by then AFL chief operating officer and now CEO Gillon McLachlan, which runs for 20 years and has no review clause written in, is the worst in Australian sport.

They pay close to $1 million annually, which increases with inflation, into a sinking fund and must also spend $700,000 annually on maintenance of Metricon Stadium.

The Cowboys say they would refuse to sign any deal on their new stadium that included such a fee.

It costs about $4 million per year to operate Metricon Stadium and while the AFL is unlikely to pull out while the people behind the expansion such as McLachlan remain in charge, there are legitimate fears that as power changes hands the league will grow tired of pumping cash into an organisation that is handcuffed to an unsustainable commercial arrangement.

99d4b881f5999712b896995c6e9c0321

The Broncos have the best deal from the government with Suncorp Stadium, but are still stung with fees their southern counterparts aren’t charged.
Even the jewel-in-the-crown Broncos, who have by far the best arrangement with the Government, get slugged with well over $1 million in levies their interstate competitors escape.

The biggest AFL and NRL clubs in the country don’t pay a public transport levy and the standard contribution to the cost of policing and infrastructure is about $1.20 per ticket.

Free transport is not included. The Suns pay almost $8 a ticket.

Stadiums Queensland says taxpayers should not foot the bill for costs associated with hosting sporting events when the Government had made considerable investment in construction of the facilities. Levy prices were fixed by TransLink and Queensland Police.

“Under this model, the hirer receives the majority of game-day revenue such as ticketing, signage, sponsorship and this means in Queensland, unlike many other states, our clubs have a greater potential to derive revenue from their events,’’ a spokesman said.

The codes reject that view.

02f5306a0a0273d0eb719457a5b1c3a7

High fees at the Gabba is stopping the Brisbane Lions from turning a profit.
The Lions’ inability to post a profit stems from an annual rental at the Gabba of about $1 million a year and an additional $800,000 in transport and police costs.

The Reds and Roar face the biggest levies of the Brisbane-based clubs.

The Roar pay a levy on tickets scanned at the gate which means they only pay for fans who attend the matches.

The QRU is slugged on every ticket issued which means they still incur the levy, believed to be about $4, even when members don’t turn up.

“The QRU believes there should be equity around transport levies applied to Queensland professional sporting teams and that any levy should be applied against tickets scanned at the gate,’’ a spokesman said.

A Stadiums Queensland spokesperson’s response to the following questions:

Does there need to be an overhaul of Stadiums Queensland given rentals and operating costs for our clubs are the most expensive in the country?

· While there are subtle differences between each hiring arrangement, the same commercial model is applied from venue to venue regardless of the code.

· The hirer pays the costs of hosting the events (eg. police costs, staff costs, public transport, cleaning, video screen production, etc.), as these services are essential to ensure patron safety, customer services and successful staging of the event.

· The stadium rental component is only a very small percentage of the overall event cost and the majority of the hirers expense relate to services provided.

· All expenses associated with game day service provision are market-tested (eg. cleaning, security) or set by external agencies (eg. TransLink, Queensland Police Service).

Under this model, the hirer receives the majority of game-day revenue such as ticketing, signage, sponsorship and this means in Queensland, unlike many other states, our clubs have a greater potential to derive revenue from their events.

Given the high potential for revenue for these commercially-run businesses, taxpayers should not be expected to bear the costs of staging these commercial events when the government has provided considerable capital investment to construct these facilities.

Is it a concern that the Gabba, our major cricket and AFL stadium, has fallen behind the rest of the country?

· SQ continues to work with the Queensland Government to review the ways in which it can enhance patron experiences at the Gabba.

· SQ has invested in long-term planning for the venue, including a Vision and Masterplan, to help inform future development opportunities and leverage precinct connectivity associated with the Cross River Rail project.

· SQ has also improved facilities at The Gabba in the shorter term, with two LED video screens and a $1.3 million lighting upgrade as well as upgraded retail and food and beverage facilities completed at the venue in recent years.

SQ is investing across its portfolio, including major capital investment by government across Queensland sports infrastructure including: in excess of $3m for the installation of two new IAF standard tracks at QSAC, the $44m Queensland State Netball Centre (under construction), the $250m North Queensland Stadium (under construction) and the $59 million Anna Meares Velodrome.

There has also been significant investment with Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games.

Why do Qld clubs pay transport levies that do not apply in other states and why do these apply to all tickets when not every fan travels by public transport?

SQ implements the Queensland Government policy of integrated ticketing, which provides patrons with ‘free’ public transport to events at SQ venues in south east Queensland.

Public transport services apply for the provision of special or additional services to meet the additional demand associated with a major event and part of that cost is passed on to the hirer via the transport levy.

This policy has been proven to reduce traffic congestion in and around venues on game-day.

Why is the levy different for every club?

The specifics of commercial hire terms cannot be disclosed, and while there are difference in every hiring agreement, overall the benefits are of similar value, which results in an equitable net balance across the events of our anchor tenants.

The levies reflect the cost and type of transport available in the region.

Why has it been impossible to find a fair stadium deal for the Gold Coast Titans?

SQ has worked closely with the NRL and Gold Coast Titans to ensure an appropriate commercial deal is in place to host its events.

SQ cannot comment on the particulars of any contracts as they are commercial in confidence, however the Titans deal is fair and similar to all clubs operating out of SQvenues.

While there may be differences between the hiring agreements of each of our tenants, overall the benefits are of similar value, which results in an equitable net balance across the events of our anchor tenants.

· The Queensland Government has made it clear to the NRL that the Government is not in a position to subsidise the operations of the Titans.

Why do the Gold Coast Suns pay a sinking fund when other tenants of other stadiums don’t?

· The AFL leases Metricon Stadium, with day to day management responsibility and operation controlled by the Gold Coast Suns.

· Under this agreement, the Gold Coast Suns accept responsibility for all operational and management arrangements at the venue, including maintenance and asset replacement.

Under the lease, the Gold Coast Suns retain all revenues from all events and activities at the stadium.

To ensure the venue is maintained to a world-class standard, maintenance and asset enhancement obligations are met by the Gold Coast Suns.

These are the terms the AFL negotiated prior to signing the lease for the management, operating costs and commercial benefits arising from the venue.

It isn’t fair on Queensland taxpayers to allow a commercially successful operation like the AFL to take all profits, without contributing to the maintenance and asset enhancement of Metricon Stadium.

The Gold Coast Suns are the only professional sporting franchise in Qld managing and operating their home venue.

Will the Cowboys also be charged a sinking fund?

Terms associated with the North Queensland Stadium are still under negotiation however the Cowboys’ current model where the club hires the stadium on a game by game basis, is expected to continue with the new

template
Easily to see the part Andrew Hamilton has contributed to the story
"The situation for the Gold Coast Suns who lose millions every year is even more dire and with the Tasmanian Government circling, the club’s future on the glitter strip cannot be guaranteed."

Gee he has become such a drama queen he's lost all credibility

Remove this Banner Ad

Back