Analysis Single Malt GC Sporting Updates (TITANS NEWZ)

Remove this Banner Ad

Easily to see the part Andrew Hamilton has contributed to the story
"The situation for the Gold Coast Suns who lose millions every year is even more dire and with the Tasmanian Government circling, the club’s future on the glitter strip cannot be guaranteed."

Gee he has become such a drama queen he's lost all credibility

The two journos there are Badel and Hamilton.
Every knowledgeable Titans fan and the Titans Club itself despises Badel as he is a Drongoes Cheerleader and Titans Hater.

What’s the vibe with Hamilton in regards to his attitudes towards the Lions and to Us???

I haven’t formed an opinion yet and would love to know what Board Members think of how he covers the Lions as opposed to us.

In general I despise the Courier Mail-it will take any opportunity to create drama and whack and belittle the Gold Coast whenever it can.

The two journos there are Badel and Hamilton.
Every knowledgeable Titans fan and the Titans Club itself despises Badel as he is a Drongoes Cheerleader and Titans Hater.

What’s the vibe with Hamilton in regards to his attitudes towards the Lions and to Us???

I haven’t formed an opinion yet and would love to know what Board Members think of how he covers the Lions as opposed to us.

In general I despise the Courier Mail-it will take any opportunity to create drama and whack and belittle the Gold Coast whenever it can.
In Hamiltons eyes Brisbane can't do anything wrong ATM.
Hodge could fart at training and he will write a fluff piece about how it changed the culture at the Lions and the players bonded over it.

whereas the Suns could sign a 5 year $10million sponsorship deal and he would find something negative to write about

In Hamiltons eyes Brisbane can't do anything wrong ATM.
Hodge could fart at training and he will write a fluff piece about how it changed the culture at the Lions and the players bonded over it.

whereas the Suns could sign a 5 year $10million sponsorship deal and he would find something negative to write about

Thank you Sir...so he’s the AFL equivalent of Peter Badel.
I’m disappointed but not surprised.

So we pay $1 million annually.
And annually maintenance of about $700,000 now we know why We only wanted temporary grandstands for the comm games
Annesley told me sometime in November that the Suns are envious of The Titans current game by game deal.

I think what he then said was along the lines that managing the Stadium has been a huge pain for our admin staff and that our stadium simply doesn’t have enough events in it every year to make it viable for us.

Don’t take my contribution there as gospel as I’m lacking confidence in my own memory here.
It was originally considered a good deal to have 'clean' management rights of Metricon Stadium because people anticipated the venue would regularly host non-AFL events between October-March. We now know it has seldom hosted events over that period and the Suns have been left with maintenance costs while the stadium lays dormant for six months.. IIRC, the Foo Fighters concert at Metricon in 2011 pocketed the Suns a cool $1 million profit so you can see how much of a difference even one event can make. We also know Big Bash League games are on the horizon for Metricon and Bon Jovi will be performing at the venue in the upcoming summer months.

They just need to book more concerts at Metricon and host BBL games. If the Gold Coast is granted a BBL franchise, it will solve the Suns' stadium woes.

So why no concerts? Are the suns not speaking to promoters?
My understanding is the bigger acts tend to prefer Brisbane venues. It's probably incumbent upon Mark Evans and co. to develop strong relationships with promoters to ensure there are regular concerts held at Metricon every summer. Having said that, a Gold Coast-based Big Bash League team would be the most ideal scenario for producing revenue over the AFL off season.

Gold Coast Suns admit they will not survive unless Stadium Queensland reduces fees
63b0f0553c4b4a5e6b7628369dfc5389

AFL’s embattled Gold Coast Suns have admitted they will not survive unless the Queensland government slashes the exorbitant stadium fees that are crippling the state’s biggest sporting clubs.

The Suns’ stunning admission comes as the LNP launched an attack on Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk, claiming fans were being ripped off and labelling Labor’s treatment of AFL, NRL, A-League and rugby clubs as a “debacle”.

PRICEY: TITANS COULD ABANDON CBUS SUPER STADIUM

RENT: CODES UNITE TO FIGHT STADIUMS QUEENSLAND

As revealed by The Courier-Mail, the Gold Coast Titans are weighing-up their long-term tenancy at Robina due to Stadiums Queensland hiring fees which soared to $1.3 million last year.

The shockwaves have been felt by the Titans’ major competitor on the Gold Coast, with Suns chairman Tony Cochrane conceding for the first time that the cost of playing at Metricon Stadium could bankrupt the club.

de8db5d2047718362d7b3e62b9a574ff

Gold Coast Suns chairman Tony Cochrane. Picture: Jerad Williams
A Sunday Mail and The Courier-Mailinvestigation revealed the Suns’ perilous financial position and Cochrane fears expensive SQ hiring fees could drive the final nail into the club’s coffin.

“Certainly we as a club take our responsibility to the community seriously and these (stadium) costs are a massive burden to our club which are not sustainable,” Cochrane said.

“The Gold Coast Suns welcomes the Premier’s initiative to find real solutions to this ongoing issue which is the heart of problems facing professional sport in Queensland.

“We are very pleased to hear the Premier announce a major shake-up of the SQ Board.”

The Courier-Mail can reveal Queensland attendances across the major football codes last year was 3.99 million.

In the LNP’s last full year in power in 2013-14, that figure was 4.46 million.

It means almost half-a-million fans have collectively deserted Queensland sporting outfits the Broncos, Titans, Cowboys, Lions, Suns, Reds and Roar in the past five years.

The clubs are particularly concerned at the rising cost of ticket prices because of the Queensland Government imposing a ticketing levy for game-day public transport services.

cf580155280058efecf2d241039646bf

Gold Coast Suns’ home ground, Metricon Stadium before the Commonwealth Games opening ceremony. Picture: Nigel Hallett
Incredibly, Suns research shows almost 50 per cent of their supporters are paying a levy on a government public-transport service they don’t use.

LNP Leader Deb Frecklington fired a broadside at the Premier and Stadiums Queensland.

“The Premier and her Ministers are trying to dodge the blame for this debacle. Who are they kidding?” she said.

“What on Earth has the Sports Minister been discussing with Stadiums Queensland if not this (the hiring-fees issue)?

“The buck stops with Annastacia Palaszczuk and her Ministers.

“Queensland fans are paying more for tickets and clubs are being bled dry because of this Government’s negligence.

“Our stadiums are not fan-friendly and we are falling behind the other states.

“Annastacia Palaszczuk needs to ensure these stadiums are run more efficiently or we risk losing our major teams and more major sporting fixtures.”

Palaszczuk on Monday vowed heads would roll on the Stadiums Queensland board.

“We’re going to be having a really good look at that issue,’’ Palaszczuk she said.

“I’ve been discussing that with Mick de Brenni and Kate Jones ... there will be a shake-up of the (SQ) board, that’s step No.1.

“And step No.2, we will be doing a thorough review, because what we have seen is that the Queensland public want to come out and support our sports in this state.’’

Lowlife Badel and Hamilton using the article to kick us BUT in the grand scheme of things this is what we need-the Suns and Titans laying on the pressure. Especially now while the Premier is listening.

Gold Coast Suns admit they will not survive unless Stadium Queensland reduces fees
63b0f0553c4b4a5e6b7628369dfc5389

AFL’s embattled Gold Coast Suns have admitted they will not survive unless the Queensland government slashes the exorbitant stadium fees that are crippling the state’s biggest sporting clubs.

The Suns’ stunning admission comes as the LNP launched an attack on Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk, claiming fans were being ripped off and labelling Labor’s treatment of AFL, NRL, A-League and rugby clubs as a “debacle”.

PRICEY: TITANS COULD ABANDON CBUS SUPER STADIUM

RENT: CODES UNITE TO FIGHT STADIUMS QUEENSLAND

As revealed by The Courier-Mail, the Gold Coast Titans are weighing-up their long-term tenancy at Robina due to Stadiums Queensland hiring fees which soared to $1.3 million last year.

The shockwaves have been felt by the Titans’ major competitor on the Gold Coast, with Suns chairman Tony Cochrane conceding for the first time that the cost of playing at Metricon Stadium could bankrupt the club.

de8db5d2047718362d7b3e62b9a574ff

Gold Coast Suns chairman Tony Cochrane. Picture: Jerad Williams
A Sunday Mail and The Courier-Mailinvestigation revealed the Suns’ perilous financial position and Cochrane fears expensive SQ hiring fees could drive the final nail into the club’s coffin.

“Certainly we as a club take our responsibility to the community seriously and these (stadium) costs are a massive burden to our club which are not sustainable,” Cochrane said.

“The Gold Coast Suns welcomes the Premier’s initiative to find real solutions to this ongoing issue which is the heart of problems facing professional sport in Queensland.

“We are very pleased to hear the Premier announce a major shake-up of the SQ Board.”

The Courier-Mail can reveal Queensland attendances across the major football codes last year was 3.99 million.

In the LNP’s last full year in power in 2013-14, that figure was 4.46 million.

It means almost half-a-million fans have collectively deserted Queensland sporting outfits the Broncos, Titans, Cowboys, Lions, Suns, Reds and Roar in the past five years.

The clubs are particularly concerned at the rising cost of ticket prices because of the Queensland Government imposing a ticketing levy for game-day public transport services.

cf580155280058efecf2d241039646bf

Gold Coast Suns’ home ground, Metricon Stadium before the Commonwealth Games opening ceremony. Picture: Nigel Hallett
Incredibly, Suns research shows almost 50 per cent of their supporters are paying a levy on a government public-transport service they don’t use.

LNP Leader Deb Frecklington fired a broadside at the Premier and Stadiums Queensland.

“The Premier and her Ministers are trying to dodge the blame for this debacle. Who are they kidding?” she said.

“What on Earth has the Sports Minister been discussing with Stadiums Queensland if not this (the hiring-fees issue)?

“The buck stops with Annastacia Palaszczuk and her Ministers.

“Queensland fans are paying more for tickets and clubs are being bled dry because of this Government’s negligence.

“Our stadiums are not fan-friendly and we are falling behind the other states.

“Annastacia Palaszczuk needs to ensure these stadiums are run more efficiently or we risk losing our major teams and more major sporting fixtures.”

Palaszczuk on Monday vowed heads would roll on the Stadiums Queensland board.

“We’re going to be having a really good look at that issue,’’ Palaszczuk she said.

“I’ve been discussing that with Mick de Brenni and Kate Jones ... there will be a shake-up of the (SQ) board, that’s step No.1.

“And step No.2, we will be doing a thorough review, because what we have seen is that the Queensland public want to come out and support our sports in this state.’’

Lowlife Badel and Hamilton using the article to kick us BUT in the grand scheme of things this is what we need-the Suns and Titans laying on the pressure. Especially now while the Premier is listening.
Need ALL professional SEQ teams to band on this, it costs way more on average to get admission to the Gabba over the MCG/Docklands at the moment

I'd be interested to see if anyone could succinctly explain exactly how the stadium deals in Queensland differ to those in Victoria/SA/WA. Obviously rental costs are higher but is there more to it than that?

I'll comment on the Melbourne situation
The AFL owns Docklands now (cost $250 M to buy out the previous operators early) and the MCG Trust pays the AFL to play football at the MCG- I think it's about $2 per patron
(The AFL-MCC negotiations are legendary and they do change from time to time
VFL Park at Waverley was basically the AFL's attempt in the 1970's to unwind themselves from the MCC/MCG but they have had so much money thrown at them now it's all locked up until 2052 and Waverly park is now a housing development)
So the game day stadiums in Melbourne are basically moneymakers to the Clubs
Previously at Docklands the tenants-Carlton North WBs and Essendon paid the Stadium operators huge operating cost fees- in much the same way it appears SQ gouges on the basis of a commercial operation- and there were always loads of articles about how that was sending those clubs broke
No matter what the crowds were- operating costs were fixed and had to be paid by the Clubs
So when the Melbourne Media mafia start talking about what The Suns and Lions cost they conveniently forget the AFL just forked out $250 million to buy Docklands and save the AFL tenants collective necks
On the other side of the coin, presumably the costs Melbourne Clubs bear relate to their training facilities which the Suns incorporate in their home ground- but these are typically suburban grounds and you'd imagine there would be peppercorn type rents from the local councils- and in many cases Clubs there have now built their own standalone training facilities anyway
I have to say this whole thing has come as some surprise to me because I was always under the impression we were running the Stadium for the Queensland Government-ie we are responsible for maintenance upkeep etc with the payoff to the State Government being tourism and sporting excellence
I never realised SQ was seeking commercial returns on what is basically a community asset
I mean who else is going to use these places if The Suns, The Titans , The Roar etc walk away

So, in a nutshell- if we had SOTA training facilities at Bond or Robina/Mudgeeraba/anywhere and SQ was PAYING US a portion of ticket sales to play at Metricon which they were managing, maintaining, running(like the MCC does with the MCG)we'd be on the same deal as the Melbourne Clubs
Presumably (although no-one outside AFL House would know) the new agreement at Docklands would mean the Clubs get anything over what it costs to run the place on gameday or something like that, but aren't stuck with "sinking funds" and "maintenance" costs.And they certainly don't have the transport/policing Unions payoff

It's pretty rude

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's quite scarey when you read about The Coch's concerns
No doubt in my mind Tasmania would just give a relocating franchise an upgraded stadium on a similar deal to the Melbourne scenario
ie- no rent and we'll give you a portion of the ticket sales
I always thought the Tasmania thing was a joke, but with North now getting a much sweeter Docklands deal who knows?

Matchu
You do the sums
What was our total home ground attendance last year?
Over 11 or 12 matches it can't have been much more than 180,000?
That's members, kids etc
So for every person that walks through the Metricon Gates, currently about $10 goes to SQ (sinking fund $1,000,000 + maintenance$700,000)
Then there's the police/transport slug which is apparently $6 + $1.20 per ticket whether you use public transport or not!!!!
So I know it's rough calculations but it would appear that for every patron The Suns pay over $17 to the State Government!!!
I'd love to be corrected
Madness

Matchu
You do the sums
What was our total home ground attendance last year?
Over 11 or 12 matches it can't have been much more than 180,000?
That's members, kids etc
So for every person that walks through the Metricon Gates, currently about $10 goes to SQ (sinking fund $1,000,000 + maintenance$700,000)
Then there's the police/transport slug which is apparently $6 + $1.20 per ticket whether you use public transport or not!!!!
So I know it's rough calculations but it would appear that for every patron The Suns pay over $17 to the State Government!!!
I'd love to be corrected
Madness

This government just looks at sums , it doesn’t look at what these clubs do for the community in tourism , jobs , public etc , it’s quite sad and this SQ board need to go under that premise and bring in someone with half an idea.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

No wonder the Suns and the Titans appear to have financial problems, and football teams from all codes struggle on the Gold coast. This doesn't look good for the Lions either with their crowds in free fall which means less revenue coming in.

Gil made the deal, so maybe he was happier shelling out 4 million a year for the Stadium rather than paying 200million upfront to build a new one- and it's actually hard to argue with that
The problem is it creates rental serfdom for us because even if we were at capacity 11 times a year- so even at say 300,000 $10-12 of every ticket is still going to the Government
Maybe we just have to get more pro-active on using it for other events

The positive to come from this situation is the Premier is listening and has promised heads will roll. That likely means there will be alterations to existing stadium agreements. If the Suns can get a decent deal now and later benefit from a BBL team being based at Metricon then it would be the best of both worlds.

This could end up being a very good outcome for the Suns long-term.

Caught a glimpse of the back page of today's courier mail. Mick de Brenni quoted as saying "worry more about winning games".
He's rating high on the punchability factor about now.

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

It will play well to his Brisbane constituents....what Gold Coasters need to get through their skulls is this:
We just want to beat Brisbane whereas they don’t want us to exist at all.

I'll comment on the Melbourne situation
The AFL owns Docklands now (cost $250 M to buy out the previous operators early) and the MCG Trust pays the AFL to play football at the MCG- I think it's about $2 per patron
(The AFL-MCC negotiations are legendary and they do change from time to time

The MCG Trust doesnt pay the AFL $2 per patron to play there. There are payments that are made based on the AFL reaching attendance goals of between $1.50 - $3.00 per patron depending on how much over the minimum 2.15m the AFL gets there per year.

The AFL pays more than 5 million a year for the Southern/Northern Stand developments since 2002 ( i thin it was 8m from memory in 2016) - and that increases annually depending on interest rates and other things. This is on top of Ground rental and other costs. In return, the MCC returns 60-70% of football related revenues to the AFL and its clubs - after costs.

Starting 2009, the MCC agreed to add $100,000 per game to club returns. The next deal will add even more.

On the other side of the coin, presumably the costs Melbourne Clubs bear relate to their training facilities which the Suns incorporate in their home ground- but these are typically suburban grounds and you'd imagine there would be peppercorn type rents from the local councils- and in many cases

Carlton pay $90,000 a year on their lease at Princes Park, increasing annually. North and Richmond (within the same council boundary) would be pretty much the same.

It will play well to his Brisbane constituents....what Gold Coasters need to get through their skulls is this:
We just want to beat Brisbane whereas they don’t want us to exist at all.
Are you saying that's what de Brenni wants Gold Coasters to think or what you think? If it's the latter, I strongly disagree. Gold Coast footy has always strived to be the best it could possibly be and we thrived back in the Southport Sharks days, despite giving up a massive population advantage to the QAFL teams up north.

How arrogant of a politician to come out and say something so purposely inflammatory. The Brisbane Lions have won a single game more than us since we entered the league but he's not telling them to focus on winning in order to fix their bottom line.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back