Analysis Single Malt GC Sporting Updates (TITANS NEWZ)

Remove this Banner Ad

Firstly, I never said I wanted the Titans to go out of existence imminently, just to not be successful. I'm not such an extremist that I want the whole NRL disbanded and all clubs killed, I just want its popularity to sink to the level of rugby union, where few people care about the club competition besides expats and rugby school old boys, and the only really big events are the Wallabies tests (or State of Origin in rugby league's case).

Secondly, the dog is no threat to your safety, just mine since I want the AFL to become the dominant code.

Thanks for clarifying

Our cousins from up the road in Parkwood just kicked off their 2020 season. Could be interesting to see if they've improved at all given the Titans also got the wooden spoon last year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m not superstitious but this lifting of the “Skase curse” might be legit!! o_O:oops:
The theory goes that Skase took out a 30-year lease on Carrara Stadium in 1989 and orchestrated the instalment of the $6 million light towers that same year, which were never paid for (these are the same fly swatter light towers that still stand around the stadium to this day). He broke the lease shortly after when his company (Qintex) went bankrupt and he fled to Spain. Rueben Pelerman managed to save the Bears but moved them to the Gabba in 1992 which obviously meant no tenants at a very expensive stadium that was never paid for. So Gold Coast sports teams/GC-based Carrara Stadium tenants have supposedly been punished for Skase's actions and have been cursed for the duration of his 30-year lease, which ended in late 2019. There is a thread about it here.

The media have occasionally reported on it (click here to see an article about it from February this year and here is a 2010 article about the "Carrara curse"/the lights never being paid for). We got off to a great start in 2020 with our AFLW team making finals in their first season and things are looking great for our AFL team right now sitting pretty with second place on the ladder.

Do we buy into the theory and, if so, has it actually been lifted this year?

The theory goes that Skase took out a 30-year lease on Carrara Stadium in 1989 and orchestrated the instalment of the $6 million light towers that same year, which were never paid for (these are the same fly swatter light towers that still stand around the stadium to this day). He broke the lease shortly after when his company (Qintex) went bankrupt and he fled to Spain. Rueben Pelerman managed to save the Bears but moved them to the Gabba in 1992 which obviously meant no tenants at a very expensive stadium that was never paid for. So Gold Coast sports teams/GC-based Carrara Stadium tenants have supposedly been punished for Skase's actions and have been cursed for the duration of his 30-year lease, which ended in late 2019. There is a thread about it here.

The media have occasionally reported on it (click here to see an article about it from February this year and here is a 2010 article about the "Carrara curse"/the lights never being paid for). We got off to a great start in 2020 with our AFLW team making finals in their first season and things are looking great for our AFL team right now sitting pretty with second place on the ladder.

Do we buy into the theory and, if so, has it actually been lifted this year?

Its real and it’s been lifted.
Kalinda Howarth is proof.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back