Remove this Banner Ad

TheDoctor11

Premiership Player
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LA Lakers
This thread is for discussing competitions and suggesting competition ideas.

Please read the guidelines before posting a thread.

For regular competitions:
Post your competition brief here for discussion. If it is deemed worthy then it will be approved by the moderators, and you will have permission to start the appropriate thread. Mod approval will be encouraged by 'likes' on the brief.

For real life competitions and requests:

If it is a basic request, please see the Official Request Thread. If you want to run a competition for something that will be used in real life, ie a new logo for your footy club, post a thread with a brief detailing what you are after and what the prize or reward will be for the winning entry, if there is one.

Note that there will be a notice attached to the OP cautioning posters that their work may not be used, as we've had problems with external competitions in the past - people disappearing with no explanation after entries have been submitted.

If the OP is not up to scratch it will be moved into the request thread.

For any enquiries PM either me or Gibbsy, or post in this thread.

-----------------
Mod note: This post was changed on 21/3/2016 to reflect new competition guidelines.

Last edited by a moderator:

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
There are three very different competition types though.

There are the ARICL style tournaments, which mimic real life sporting comps with head to head matches over several weeks and finals. These take months to complete but only usually require one guernsey set.

Then there are the weekly themed comps like AGOTW etc where a new entry is required every week or two.

Then there are one off comps like the current Fitzroy modernising comp which obviously don't require more than one attempt.

Obviously you want people to be able to make guernseys pretty regularly. Not everyone enters every comp either. I really don't see the issue with lots of comps running, especially if you've got ones like the ACFFL or the FFL which arent really taking up anyone's time except the competition runner.

I mean a comp is basically just a workshop with a poll at the end. The Brisbane Bears one was shot down very quickly when it doesn't really hurt anyone to remain open. It's the same thread as it will be anyway with a poll at the end.

I do agree that people brand new to the FGD board shouldn't be able to post comps though until they get the feel of the board. Can we measure how many posts someone has made in FGD only? I somehow doubt it.

Maybe we ask people to enter 5 competitions before making one of their own (apart from people from real clubs asking us to design them a guernsey for real life etc).

I do agree that people brand new to the FGD board shouldn't be able to post comps though until they get the feel of the board.
I find this especially annoying. Like when someone does this with their first post:

Comp: create a clash jumper

Hey guys, create a clash jumper for any club!

Comp will close in 7 days. :)

Aug 11, 2011
Waverley Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill (VFL)
It wasn't long ago that we didn't have many if any competitions on this site, now we have to many. It is just a cycle. When we were not having many contests on this site I started to create my contests. Then a few others started, but not a few to many are creating contests.

One thing should be looked at is having a sub-thread for contests so the main Footy Jumper and Graphic Design page isn't taken up by all these contests. If you want go in the contests you can go on the Contest page.

However, the number of contests will decrease when the season is over. They are probably increased in number because there is still alot of football talk around, but only a few teams are playing. People are getting their football action on here. By November we will wonder were have all the contests have gone.

The board should have a set formula on how contests are run. There should be a certain amount of days that entries can be submitted. There should be a certain amount of days that a poll should run.

When someone creates a contest thread they should have to type in the number of days that entries will be excepted. Also, if it is possible, the thread should be able top change to a poll thread once the exceptance period is over. So instead of having to start a poll thread once the contest has stopped excepting entries, the site will automatically start the poll.

Once a contest is over, there thread should be locked to not allow for anymore posts. This would mean that contests that are over will disappear.

If still have to create additional threads for polls, these threads should have a different banner they come under, like a Poll banner so are seen to be different from the Contests.

To summarise what I am saying is that the board should have a seperate sub-thread for contests. There should be a formula for contests that all contests have to follow. How many days entries are excepted and when a poll is started. Once a contest is over the thread should be locked. Polls should have their own banner so people can see that they are different to the contests.

alzy11

All Australian
Jun 17, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Definitely agree that a competitions board has to come back :thumbsu: The other ideas are good but require a bit more effort, and mightn't be possible

Aug 11, 2011
Waverley Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill (VFL)
I am just getting my ideas out there. Now people can discuss them, put their own ideas into them and change somethings.

Another thing people have said is that everything doesn't have to be a contest. A few example of what is meant by this should be given. People have seen how contests are run and are now running them. A few example of how a workshop works would be good. Once people see this in action they will understand what they are and use them.

TheDoctor11

Premiership Player
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LA Lakers
Wiz, at one point, we did actually have a sub board, however we dropped it because of a lack of comps combined with low entry rates. The nav-bar however plays a similar purpose.

I feel part of the problem is that not many people are actually discussing their ideas first, to see if they should run it as a workshop, or if there's been a similar comp in the past. Competitions that have had this discussion period have also been generally more successful with the amount of entries.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs
Yeah good point about the cycle.

Last offseason we had basically no competitions running.

That said, I don't know about a comps sub board. We've had that before, and a lot of the competition's died because nobody ever went to the comps sub board. This board isn't really busy enough for comps to be an issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Omegaville

Club Legend
May 8, 2010
Croydon
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Coburg FC, Melb Vixens, Renegades
Many competitions should just be workshops... leave them open-ended.
Also, I think the mod should have the power to reject a competition idea if he feels it necessary, in the name of moderating discussion and content.

TheDoctor11

Premiership Player
Sep 14, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
LA Lakers
Also, I think the mod should have the power to reject a competition idea if he feels it necessary, in the name of moderating discussion and content.

To be honest, this thought HAS crossed my mind, but I do feel like it would be slightly overstepping the mark if I went through with it.

What would everyone say to bringing back jumper winning competitions?

Would definitely enter. There's a real place for them here.

Omegaville

Club Legend
May 8, 2010
Croydon
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Coburg FC, Melb Vixens, Renegades
Jumper-winning competitions are great... just also give people the option to buy their entries too (i.e. one-off jumpers). Cos some of us are never gonna win comps...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back