Mod. Notice Competitions: READ BEFORE POSTING A COMPETITION

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 23, 2012
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Sydney Swans, St Kilda Saints
A little, but that one had multiple people playing for each title each round. This would be a designer trying to defeat every one else in one v one battles where the challenger chooses the design topic.
How do we decide who starts? An all in round where we all design something and put it in a one vote each poll with the Top person going through?

The current fancystreakTM in the "What if" Wednesday thread has given me an idea for a competition:

THE GAUNTLET

The Gauntlet is a competition that is a little different to the others on this board.

This competition is where a designer (decided by a one off design poll with all entrants) seeks to reach immortality by defeating every designer who elects to enter this competition in a one-on-one battle. Think gauntlet or tower modes in video games.

Each week the current champion selects their next opponent, who then gains the ability to choose the theme for the battle. The two then have 1 week to create their designs which then are voted on. Should the current champion win, then they elect a new challenger and the process continues towards defeating everyone, however if a new champion is crowned then the process reverts back to the start and the new champion begins to run the gauntlet. The losing designer cannot re-enter the gauntlet as a challenger until either the current champion defeats all other opponents, or until a new champion is crowned.

The challenge in this competition is not only being good enough to defeat every other designer but the strategy in doing it. Does a designer choose an "easy" start, leaving their perceived "stronger" opponents until towards the end, or do they take a risk and try and eliminate their greatest challenge early and have a potentially easier run to the end.

I like it.

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades
With NFL season coming up, thought I might float the idea of having an American Football competition.

Would be your generic comp with most likely a conference type system (similar to CAN-AM). Ideas for how the league would be set up is to either have it as an international one, which leaves a lot of creative freedom. On the other hand it could just be an Australian-Pacific kind of league which gives it a local feel.

Haven't seen a lot of NFL stuff on here so would be cool to see some designs.

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Continuing on from that, I think the uniforms would follow the usual NFL uniform code:
  • Home
  • Away
  • Colour Rush (Pretty much an Alternate which utilities mainly one of the teams colours)
  • Heritage
There's room for other ideas such as a City-jersey like in the NBA but this would just be the ground work atm. 4 uniforms may also be a lot but then again NFL uniforms probably don't require as much thought as an AFL one. Anyway we can also just knock out Colour rush as it isn't entirely essential but it's still cool.

jmac91

Perth Bandits Head Coach
Dec 27, 2017
Subiaco Oval
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Bandits
This isn't a competition but I just need approval to do it.
This would be a Hall of Fame sort of thread poll. the way it would work is that I put up 5 jumpers 1 every week and the jumper that gets the most votes gets in to go into the illustrious FJGD Jumper Hall of Fame. This would be for AFL jumpers at first but after a while we could expand it to have a state league section and even a Big Footy section.
I would like to hear your thoughts on this

This would be a Hall of Fame sort of thread poll. the way it would work is that I put up 5 jumpers 1 every week and the jumper that gets the most votes gets in to go into the illustrious FJGD Jumper Hall of Fame. This would be for AFL jumpers at first but after a while we could expand it to have a state league section and even a Big Footy section.

I'm really liking the concept of an awards style event, especially over the AFL off-season when designs for NAFL are finished and the board goes a little quiet (around December-January). It could almost coincide with the FJGD Board Awards which start early January

I think a knockout-style bracket would be the most effective way of finding a winner, pitting the best 32 jumpers against each other, as pre-selected from an all-in suggestions thread (you would pick the final 32 of course). Hold polls for each round for around 3 days, which results in a 12 day comp, short enough that people remain interested and long enough that everyone has a chance to vote.

A good start would be AFL, see what the reception is, then move into other areas. The only problem would be ordering the bracket - you don't want the Bounding Roo vs Bears '96 home in Round 1

jmac91

Perth Bandits Head Coach
Dec 27, 2017
Subiaco Oval
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Bandits
A good start would be AFL, see what the reception is, then move into other areas. The only problem would be ordering the bracket
How about this, I put up 32 jumpers in a poll. This would be for seeding. everybody votes for 5 jumpers. then 1st plays 36th and so on in a knock out style. Have I fixed your problem?

Aug 8, 2008
Campbelltown
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Macarthur FC

I don't see a point for this really, it is fairly obvious what designs historically are the most popular on this board, and a set of polls will just show the same results.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Like the one that is going on at the moment or something different altogether?
A competition where everyone is given a country and they have to design an Aussie Rules kit around that. We had the World Cup thing earlier this year which is similar but have we had an AFL version of that comp before?

May 25, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
A competition where everyone is given a country and they have to design an Aussie Rules kit around that. We had the World Cup thing earlier this year which is similar but have we had an AFL version of that comp before?
Back about 4 or so years ago there was a weekly comp where there was a country chosen and everyone had to design a home a clash for that country. Thats the only comp other than the aforementioned World Cup I can think of.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Yeah we did one, Spanna_ ran it from memory

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
On another note, If we had the same sort of competition but instead with made up countries (by the bidder).

Bidders would make up a country either completely original or based on a novel or movie. For example: The Worana Wolverines

It would be a fairly simple competition with bidders needing to submit:

• Home kit
  • Away kit
  • Flag of country
  • Logo?

Enabling the creation of your teams country allows for virtually limitless possibilities in terms of design. This is a bit similar to my HFL idea I had a while back but maybe not as boring :p

Aug 8, 2008
Campbelltown
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Arsenal, Macarthur FC
On another note, If we had the same sort of competition but instead with made up countries (by the bidder).

Bidders would make up a country either completely original or based on a novel or movie. For example: The Worana Wolverines

It would be a fairly simple competition with bidders needing to submit:

• Home kit
  • Away kit
  • Flag of country
  • Logo?

Enabling the creation of your teams country allows for virtually limitless possibilities in terms of design. This is a bit similar to my HFL idea I had a while back but maybe not as boring :p

Seems to be a combination of the current (and hopefully will finish) Olympics competition and the FFL competition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back