Mod. Notice Competitions: READ BEFORE POSTING A COMPETITION

Remove this Banner Ad

If we do this every few months, rankings will start to appear after a couple of times. Just for the first comp, use a poll for rankings, then use the rankings points.

I'd recommend harry to use the Tennis rankings system, as it has been shown to be effective.
You'd need a series of polls for that to work, cos of the amount of teams that would finish on the same amount of votes.

Imagine we did a ranking system for FJGD designers.
I tried doing something like this a few years ago. Got half way through and gave up.

Basically, for each weekly poll, I'd give point depending on how people ended. If the were ten people in the poll, the winner would get ten, second would get nine, etc. If there were 5 people in the poll, the winner would only get five points because it would be an easier poll to win. And so forth.

Remember the Championship belt?

Yeah, everyone stopped designing and voting.

The Championship Belt was a really good concept for development and it was reasonably successful for a while there. There wasn't as many competitions at the time and people weren't getting feedback quickly enough.

It would be a lot easier to run than a points type system if someone wants to kick it off again.

What about simply awarding points for where you finish in the main competitions? That way it's updated only a few times a year but remains relevant. Points for NAFL/Reserves would be slightly different to the other competitions due to the tier system.
If someone could work out a way to do this, it would be great. But to get it to work we'd really need a structured calendar with a decent number of weekly comps going on where the lower ranked designers can rack up points, as I see them being left out once we have an established top 16 or whatever that can automatically put into the large comps.

If someone could work out a way to do this, it would be great. But to get it to work we'd really need a structured calendar with a decent number of weekly comps going on where the lower ranked designers can rack up points, as I see them being left out once we have an established top 16 or whatever that can automatically put into the large comps.
As I said earlier use the Tennis system. And possibly 3/4 the points for the NAFL Reserves.

The tennis system has a billion levels. If it's going to be implemented, we could put all the competitions on a power ranking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATP_Rankings

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't really get it

What is going on here
They want to implement a Tennis style rankings system where you get points for your finishing position in competitions and the rankings are based on a rolling 1 or 2 years worth of points.

I'd suggest that it's really too much work to be worth doing. The best rankings system we have so far is something like the FIRA qualifiers or the NAFL and reserves finishing positions.

If you really want to do it, the big division league style comps (NAFL, FIRA, Can-Am) should be the "grand slams" worth more points.

Just given them all the same weighting. Means all league style comps are just as important.
That's a fair reasoning. Although either NAFL will have to be a higher, or reserves will have to be lower, because they are by definition a different standard of the same thing. That or their results could be stacked on top of each other.

That's a fair reasoning. Although either NAFL will have to be a higher, or reserves will have to be lower, because they are by definition a different standard of the same thing. That or their results could be stacked on top of each other.
Reserves should be lower, in my opinion.

So, back to the original idea. I like the idea of a ranking system for it, due to the lack of a proper group stage, it needs something more, and it adds something else to it. So I'll add a couple more things to the rules

Rankings
Based on the ATP's scale for 500 series (1st 500, 2nd 300, semis 180, quarters 90, top 16 45, top 32 20)
I reckon for a total, it will be 100% points for the latest two competitions and 50% for the two prior to that. That will depend a bit on how often it's run

Seeding
For the first tournament, it'll be based on two separate polls, a home jumper poll and an away jumper poll (designers will have to obviously now submit an away jumper as well). The amount of votes permitted in each will depend on entrants, but I'm hoping to do about 1/5-1/4 of total entries so that there's a bit more room for difference. If there's any ties, I'll just toss a coin or do a random.org thing.
In the second tournament, it will be based on ranking, but obviously due to the way the point system will cause plenty of ties, there will be a home jumper poll to determine final seeding.
From the third onwards, the plan is to seed the top half of rankings (i.e if there's 20 ranked designers, the top 10 will be seeded) and then have a home jumper poll for everyone else to qualify.

Also remember, the main idea of the competition is its halfway between a weekly competition and a league style competition - designers will be given a theme to design to every round of the knockout phase, for their chosen identity.

Again, if you suggest any changes, please let me know, I'll definitely consider it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back