Mod. Notice Competitions: READ BEFORE POSTING A COMPETITION

Remove this Banner Ad

Well I have an idea for a weekly competition: The basic theme is companies or corporations and every couple of weeks I'll introduce a well known business (e.g. McDonalds, Bunnings Warehouse) and the designers have to create a jumper which best incorporates the companies colors and logo. Not sure if that will cause copyright issues but it shouldn't. What do you guys think?

$10 this idea has already come up :p

Well I have an idea for a weekly competition: The basic theme is companies or corporations and every couple of weeks I'll introduce a well known business (e.g. McDonalds, Bunnings Warehouse) and the designers have to create a jumper which best incorporates the companies colors and logo. Not sure if that will cause copyright issues but it shouldn't. What do you guys think?

I'll give you 10 Dollarydoos instead?

upload_2017-6-24_18-55-32.jpeg

Locality Of The Week was a cool competition, I'd be down to start that up again.
I feel like creating a whole new identity wouldn't work too well for a weekly comp these days, far better going with CCCC if you are going to revive a comp imo.

I feel like creating a whole new identity wouldn't work too well for a weekly comp these days, far better going with CCCC if you are going to revive a comp imo.
I did try to revive that actually, but there didn't seem to be enough interest. I'd definitely like to see that started back up.

I don't know why it began, but weekly comps have fallen away over the last couple of years and most entrants are usually people just starting out with their designs and who still have an element of keenness in their work. Most of the veterans/guns just focus on league comps because you can block out periods of time to design an identity and then not have to worry about it again. It may have something to do with people getting older and having less time?

One thing that could refresh participation is having more league comps but reducing them in length. Personally I like the aspect of creating a whole team identity and having it in a league comp played out over several rounds. But currently they go a bit long. With finals + game threads sometimes being behind schedule (totally understandable), seasons can go over two months.

It's purely a fixture thing to make sure all teams play each other and so everything is even. However I find myself ignoring game threads because it's like the thirteenth round and I've been voting on the same kits I've seen ten times over. Maybe there could be a compromise reached to make league seasons run shorter and we could throw another footy comp into the mix. We really need to make a schedule though. CCRC and the AAB shouldn't have run at the same time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's purely a fixture thing to make sure all teams play each other and so everything is even. However I find myself ignoring game threads because it's like the thirteenth round and I've been voting on the same kits I've seen ten times over. Maybe there could be a compromise reached to make league seasons run shorter and we could throw another footy comp into the mix. We really need to make a schedule though. CCRC and the AAB shouldn't have run at the same time.
Not to mention FLO being so close to that as well

One thing that could refresh participation is having more league comps but reducing them in length. Personally I like the aspect of creating a whole team identity and having it in a league comp played out over several rounds. But currently they go a bit long. With finals + game threads sometimes being behind schedule (totally understandable), seasons can go over two months.

I'm pretty sure we've discussed this in length over the past couple of years. I'm all for shorter comp lengths, and have requested a calendar of upcoming comps for about a year now.

Though I am guilty not running my own comp on time.

Yes I agree having a schedule for the comps so number 1. everyone knows when everything is and 2. it will increased participation

I'm pretty sure we've discussed this in length over the past couple of years. I'm all for shorter comp lengths, and have requested a calendar of upcoming comps for about a year now.

Though I am guilty not running my own comp on time.
Same but it's easily accounted for by extending the approx run time of a comp by a week or two. The schedule only has to be rough, we can plan it from when NAFL starts.

Agree with this.

The T20 comp is the perfect example. The whole thing went for about 3 weeks and that was the perfect length to not outstay it's welcome.

In other comps you invariably get to the point where everyone is twiddling their thumbs waiting for finals. It's part of why I had both a league and a cup when I started FIRA to try to keep people interested long term.

The NAFL will always hold people's attention, but outside of that I encourage competition runners to find ways to keep people interested for the duration. The easiest way to do that is to keep the comps short and sweet.

Proposal as discussed in the NAFL thread:

The NAFL Spring Tournament

- Open to people who have entered a team into the NAFL or NAFL reserves.
- The spirit of the tournament is that your team will be a "feeder" team to your main NAFL club. Think AAA baseball in the USA, or the likes of the reserves clubs aligned to AFL clubs like the Port Adelaide Magpies or Casey Demons or Box Hill Hawks.
- Your feeder club can be closely aligned with your NAFL club in terms of colours and imagery or it can be totally different or somewhere in between. Totally up to you.
- This will allow NAFL owners to gain a bit of feedback and try new things without the pressure of the NAFL proper.
- Think a state league kit, so potentially more sponsors on the kit, and locally based businesses etc.

- The tournament will be a quickfire straight knockout for however many teams choose to enter.
- I'd expect it will run for 2-3 weeks tops.
- You will submit 1 home kit only used throughout the tournament.
- The first round will commence on September first.

Proposal as discussed in the NAFL thread:

The NAFL Spring Tournament

- The spirit of the tournament is that your team will be a "feeder" team to your main NAFL club. Think AAA baseball in the USA, or the likes of the reserves clubs aligned to AFL clubs like the Port Adelaide Magpies or Casey Demons or Box Hill Hawks.
- Your feeder club can be closely aligned with your NAFL club in terms of colours and imagery or it can be totally different or somewhere in between. Totally up to you.
- This will allow NAFL owners to gain a bit of feedback and try new things without the pressure of the NAFL proper.
- Think a state league kit, so potentially more sponsors on the kit, and locally based businesses etc.

- The tournament will be a quickfire straight knockout for however many teams choose to enter.
- You will submit 1 home kit only used throughout the tournament.

Please note before reading the changes that I would make, I am not saying that reserves designers are any less of a designer than the NAFL top league designers. Instead I believe that this competition should be based around giving those in the Reserves the best opportunity to hone their teams before the reserves competition begins and give them the most chances to find a strong identity that will fit seamlessly into the NAFL should they win promotion (as happened with the preseason competition previously). This time though the addition of feeder or "B" teams from designers that are in the NAFL top league adds a new element and does not make it a NAFL vs NAFL Reserves competition but a strengthening vs taking risks competition where NAFL Reserves designers will be designing with the current season in mind, while the NAFL designers will be presenting designs that may never get to be seen because they are too risky or may not poll as well as their actual designs.

So with that being said these are the changes I would make (In bold):

- The spirit of the tournament is that there will be a "feeder" team to the main NAFL clubs. Think AAA baseball in the USA, or the likes of the reserves clubs aligned to AFL clubs like the Port Adelaide Magpies or Casey Demons or Box Hill Hawks. Reserves teams will remain the same.
- The feeder clubs can be closely aligned with your NAFL club in terms of colours and imagery or it can be totally different or somewhere in between. Totally up to you.
- This will allow NAFL owners to gain a bit of feedback and try new things without the pressure of the NAFL proper, and allow NAFL Reserves owners to strengthen their current teams and identities, while not actually facing teams that they may face should they gain promotion to the NAFL.
- For feeder teams think a state league kit, so potentially more sponsors on the kit, and locally based businesses etc. NAFL reserves teams would be able to submit ideas for their submissions or variations that they may want to test but do not want to use in the NAFL Reserves.

- The tournament will be a quickfire group round robin (all group games in single polls, roughly 4 teams per group = 6 games in each poll), followed by knockout for the top finishing teams in each group.
- You will submit 1 home kit and 1 away/clash to be used throughout the tournament, this allows for some more branding to occur rather than being just one-offs which really have no meaning.

Please note before reading the changes that I would make, I am not saying that reserves designers are any less of a designer than the NAFL top league designers. Instead I believe that this competition should be based around giving those in the Reserves the best opportunity to hone their teams before the reserves competition begins and give them the most chances to find a strong identity that will fit seamlessly into the NAFL should they win promotion (as happened with the preseason competition previously). This time though the addition of feeder or "B" teams from designers that are in the NAFL top league adds a new element and does not make it a NAFL vs NAFL Reserves competition but a strengthening vs taking risks competition where NAFL Reserves designers will be designing with the current season in mind, while the NAFL designers will be presenting designs that may never get to be seen because they are too risky or may not poll as well as their actual designs.

So with that being said these are the changes I would make (In bold):

- The spirit of the tournament is that there will be a "feeder" team to the main NAFL clubs. Think AAA baseball in the USA, or the likes of the reserves clubs aligned to AFL clubs like the Port Adelaide Magpies or Casey Demons or Box Hill Hawks. Reserves teams will remain the same.
- The feeder clubs can be closely aligned with your NAFL club in terms of colours and imagery or it can be totally different or somewhere in between. Totally up to you.
- This will allow NAFL owners to gain a bit of feedback and try new things without the pressure of the NAFL proper, and allow NAFL Reserves owners to strengthen their current teams and identities, while not actually facing teams that they may face should they gain promotion to the NAFL.
- For feeder teams think a state league kit, so potentially more sponsors on the kit, and locally based businesses etc. NAFL reserves teams would be able to submit ideas for their submissions or variations that they may want to test but do not want to use in the NAFL Reserves.

- The tournament will be a quickfire group round robin (all group games in single polls, roughly 4 teams per group = 6 games in each poll), followed by knockout for the top finishing teams in each group.
- You will submit 1 home kit and 1 away/clash to be used throughout the tournament, this allows for some more branding to occur rather than being just one-offs which really have no meaning.
This would be a separate competition yes?

I think ultimately just doing a simple knockout is easier, although if you were to have a group stage, I'd suggest double points for an NAFLr side knocking off a feeder team.

One kit should be enough. This comp is for feedback, the NAFL is for you to create a brand.

I think ultimately just doing a simple knockout is easier, although if you were to have a group stage, I'd suggest double points for an NAFLr side knocking off a feeder team.

The issue with a straight knockout is that if you get a bad draw you learn nothing and have no chance to see how you go against multiple opponents. A quick round robin at least gives you around 3 matchups to see where you stand against multiple teams, no matter the first result.

One kit should be enough. This comp is for feedback, the NAFL is for you to create a brand.

One kit makes it feel like a one off comp and doesn't allow people to test out home and away/clash kits. Plus linked with the RR you would get at least a match in each so feedback would be far more valuable on two designs over just one, especially if you are looking at two different designs.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back