Mod. Notice Competitions: READ BEFORE POSTING A COMPETITION

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades
Well this is fairly good timing as I'm half way through making my NFL x AFL Portfolio.

5895deb9cba9841eabab6099.png

This is a quick concept logo I drew up for the portfolio, heavily inspired by the NFL logo obviously. Something in this general style I think would suffice as a logo. I'll play around with it a bit and maybe fiddle with the colours if this comp is a go.

Well this is fairly good timing as I'm half way through making my NFL x AFL Portfolio.
I'm working on something similar at the moment, look forward to seeing what you have come up with.

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Here's what I've got so far, no colour at the moment but strangely looks good in black and white.
Do you think it's a bit too busy with the stars on both sides? I'm looking to incorporate it in somehow without moving the ball from the centre.
AGL.png

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
I'm working on something similar at the moment, look forward to seeing what you have come up with.
It's been about 4 weeks on and off in the making. I've done all the helmets so far and slowly getting through the unis. I might just start off with showing off some of the helmets tonight :thumbsu:

Dec 20, 2015
South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Magpies!
Here's what I've got so far, no colour at the moment but strangely looks good in black and white.
Do you think it's a bit too busy with the stars on both sides? I'm looking to incorporate it in somehow without moving the ball from the centre.
View attachment 590726
Looks good to me - not too busy

It's been about 4 weeks on and off in the making. I've done all the helmets so far and slowly getting through the unis. I might just start off with showing off some of the helmets tonight :thumbsu:
Ahh, you’re going the other way around compared to me.

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
With the love ins for the WAFL portfolios, what about this? I haven't seen it mentioned before but it's ripe: extremely old, barely noted, forgotten, and the potential sparks for a true VFL rivalry... The Black Diamond Cup.

Mainly known as the Newcastle Australian Football League, it was started in Newcastle, New South Wales, in 1888. With two clubs, Wallsend and Plattsburg, actually beginning in 1883. Basically, this was the second footy competition, started just after the VFL. The 'Black Diamond Cup' was the actual premiership trophy, but it's a unique and classic name and mainly leads the opening for an easy, identifiable, effective logo.

The cool thing about this is there's a definitive list of premiers which could help with stories. For example Northumberland and Lambton were some of the first clubs in the comp, but never snagged a flag. There's also plenty of clubs who've merged. You can play with history here and use that. Any club can be any colour or with any nickname. Someone like Northumberland is ripe – it was one of the first Nineteen Counties, named by a Lieutenant/commandant: Northumberland become 'The County' after the war, then the Commanders or Lieutenants in the 80s, and now could be reverting to their original name. Lambton, a real inner suburb, could have moved to Coffs Harbour in the 80s.

Then there's the general great names and local history: Waratah, Newcastle City, RAAF, Raymond Terrace (the Terriers? The Housemen?), Coalfields (this shames the classic country 'Railways), University, Western Suburbs, newer teams like The Entrance...

Other ideas are combing through history and seeing if there's any main differences in their version of the code.

With the love ins for the WAFL portfolios, what about this? I haven't seen it mentioned before but it's ripe: extremely old, barely noted, forgotten, and the potential sparks for a true VFL rivalry... The Black Diamond Cup.

Mainly known as the Newcastle Australian Football League, it was started in Newcastle, New South Wales, in 1888. With two clubs, Wallsend and Plattsburg, actually beginning in 1883. Basically, this was the second footy competition, started just after the VFL. The 'Black Diamond Cup' was the actual premiership trophy, but it's a unique and classic name and mainly leads the opening for an easy, identifiable, effective logo.

The cool thing about this is there's a definitive list of premiers which could help with stories. For example Northumberland and Lambton were some of the first clubs in the comp, but never snagged a flag. There's also plenty of clubs who've merged. You can play with history here and use that. Any club can be any colour or with any nickname. Someone like Northumberland is ripe – it was one of the first Nineteen Counties, named by a Lieutenant/commandant: Northumberland become 'The County' after the war, then the Commanders or Lieutenants in the 80s, and now could be reverting to their original name. Lambton, a real inner suburb, could have moved to Coffs Harbour in the 80s.

Then there's the general great names and local history: Waratah, Newcastle City, RAAF, Raymond Terrace (the Terriers? The Housemen?), Coalfields (this shames the classic country 'Railways), University, Western Suburbs, newer teams like The Entrance...

Other ideas are combing through history and seeing if there's any main differences in their version of the code.
Is this a competition?

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
I have just had a good idea for a comp or more so weekly comps. You create your own brand or business. You would create a logo for that brand.

Banks, Beer, Wine, Telecommunications, Fast Food, Energy Companies, Insurance, Airlines, Real Estate, Drinks, Electrical Brands, Tourism, Tyre Brands, Shopping Centres, Betting Companies, Warehouse Companies, Foundations, Goods Stores, Home Builders are all ideas.

Is there any interest in this kind of comp?

Last edited:
I have just had a good idea for a comp or more so weekly comps. You create your own brand or business. You would create a logo for that brand.

Bank (Eg- Commonwealth Bank)
Supermarket (Coles)
Beer (Victoria Bitter)
Telecommunication Company (Optus)
TV Channel (Seven)
Fast Food (Hungry Jacks)
Energy Company (Energy Australia)
Insurance (AAMI)
Airline (Qantas)
Real Estate (Ray White)
Drink (Gatorade)
Electric Brand (Samsung)
Tourism Brand (Mantra)
Tyre (Hancock)
Shopping Centre (Eastland)
Betting Company (Sporting Bet)
Warehouse (Bunnings)
Foundation (Starlight Foundation)
Home Builder (Simmonds)
Goods Store (K Mart)
Wine (Wolf Blass)

Is there any interest in this kind of comp?
We did have Company of the week/fortnight (2013) where the basis was to create a footy team around an existing company. We also had Logo of the week where we made logos for already exisiting companies.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Apr 23, 2012
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Sydney Swans, St Kilda Saints
Just had a quick look through that thread and yes it is exactly what I mean! I didn't realise there has already been one on the board but hey Im keen for one to start back up. What are people's thoughts on a revival?
I remember that I tried to bring that back. Certain members didn’t want it back and it sort of died out. I’d be all for it coming back though

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
I remember that I tried to bring that back. Certain members didn’t want it back and it sort of died out. I’d be all for it coming back though
The way I see it is that if certain members dont want it back then they do not need to participate in it however those that want to can.

All good with me magpienato if you can find a suitable window.
Or maybe it was caloschwaby doing it. You both look alike.
Doubt we'd be able to get it up for a start around this years' Superbowl with FIRA and the start of a new school year and would be a bit rushed. I was thinking a start after CAN-AM finishes in August to coincide with the beginning of next years' NFL season in September :)

Back