Mod. Notice Competitions: READ BEFORE POSTING A COMPETITION

Oct 27, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Packers, Raptors, Renegades
This group seems to really like their music/album covers so I thought why not throw up an idea involving those things, could be fun.

The basic concept would be quite simple, you choose an album cover, you use your imagination and skills to apply their elements (colours, shapes etc) onto a footy jumper in a way that looks familiar but not just a straight copy+paste.

How you would choose said album cover is still up for conversation. Could go by decades and have a few rounds of it. Or could just be pick your favoruite album cover and we could just do it as a one-off.

And as for the actual competing part I was thinking it could be a process of elimination, you vote for your 3 favorites and say the 2 submissions with the least votes gets eliminated and then so on. All dependent on numbers of course.

This group seems to really like their music/album covers so I thought why not throw up an idea involving those things, could be fun.

The basic concept would be quite simple, you choose an album cover, you use your imagination and skills to apply their elements (colours, shapes etc) onto a footy jumper in a way that looks familiar but not just a straight copy+paste.

How you would choose said album cover is still up for conversation. Could go by decades and have a few rounds of it. Or could just be pick your favoruite album cover and we could just do it as a one-off.

And as for the actual competing part I was thinking it could be a process of elimination, you vote for your 3 favorites and say the 2 submissions with the least votes gets eliminated and then so on. All dependent on numbers of course.
Competition must be called "Battle of the Bands".

Would love to do a few albums here, hopefully there’ll be no limit to how many I can enter.

May 25, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Potentially there could be a round where similar album art/concepts could be run together like AC/DC Back in Black and Metallica The Black Album.

Sent from my SM-A505YN using Tapatalk

DiamondGuy

Le goûter qui »BANG«
Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Norwich, St Kilda
Working title: Welcome to the real world.

Well, I had almost given up hope. A funny thing happened. I got to nine likes, so I knew I was one like away. I waited and waited, maybe a week or two, then I got notified of a like! I went back to the post, and... I was still on nine likes. Someone had unliked! :D Well, I've just hit ten, I'm pretty happy and excited about it. I don't want to get too excited, though, in case someone else unlikes!!!

Now who do I talk to about the timing for this?

Apr 20, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks, Southampton FC
Well, I had almost given up hope. A funny thing happened. I got to nine likes, so I knew I was one like away. I waited and waited, maybe a week or two, then I got notified of a like! I went back to the post, and... I was still on nine likes. Someone had unliked! :D Well, I've just hit ten, I'm pretty happy and excited about it. I don't want to get too excited, though, in case someone else unlikes!!!

Now who do I talk to about the timing for this?
Make that 11

On Pixel 2 XL using BigFooty.com mobile app

Inter-Aussie-Football-Cup.png

Reflection/Review
I'm normally used to having a low number of entries as my competitions linger on but when it's constant, something must be up - 5, 3, 2, 3, 2, 4, 2, 5, 5, 3, 2, 2, 3
Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with just 1 person entering knowing at least there's someone showing an interest though I've seen the capabilities and pull of the comps on this board (NAFL - 64 teams (goes without saying), Clubs Encounters - 5 straight weeks of double digit entries + averaging 9.8 entries per week) and wondering how to recapture that thriving environment where incredible designs were churned out week after week.
Perhaps this got the tick of approval at a bad time? With the current situation, it's a dark time for some and we've all hit that wall at some stage, I'd like to know from those who lurk at this competition and maybe others, what prevents you and what can be changed? Of course I'm not expecting 10+ entries every week to start flowing with the flick of a switch but knowing that there's a huge community out there with a passion for footy jumpers and graphic design, the possibilities are limitless!
TL-DR - Strong doge, weak doge meme

Reflection/Review
I'm normally used to having a low number of entries as my competitions linger on but when it's constant, something must be up - 5, 3, 2, 3, 2, 4, 2, 5, 5, 3, 2, 2, 3
Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with just 1 person entering knowing at least there's someone showing an interest though I've seen the capabilities and pull of the comps on this board (NAFL - 64 teams (goes without saying), Clubs Encounters - 5 straight weeks of double digit entries + averaging 9.8 entries per week) and wondering how to recapture that thriving environment where incredible designs were churned out week after week.
Perhaps this got the tick of approval at a bad time? With the current situation, it's a dark time for some and we've all hit that wall at some stage, I'd like to know from those who lurk at this competition and maybe others, what prevents you and what can be changed? Of course I'm not expecting 10+ entries every week to start flowing with the flick of a switch but knowing that there's a huge community out there with a passion for footy jumpers and graphic design, the possibilities are limitless!

probably too close to NAFL, with a lot of the effort going there, idk. sad to see, I love the work that goes into your comps. :(

May 25, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Reflection/Review
I love the idea and I've started entries for most weeks so far but because the entry period is during the week I haven't had time to finish them. So for me if you run the entry period over the weekend I would be able to enter most rounds :)

It seems as though my album covers thread has definitely taken traction on this board and I was thinking the other day about starting a new quickfire competition to run just over the Australia Day week leading up to the TripleJ Hottest 100 countdown.

The competition is a FJGD first, to design an "iconic" album, as well as it's cover (front/back, gatefold + vinyl slips optional). This is an experiment in conceptualizing an album, creating an album structure and song titles that would fit the genre of the album, and really trying to sell it as the next Dark Side of the Moon. Obviously no actual musical composition is required.

I feel this is an interesting getaway from designing sport uniforms, logos, etc and may help those who feel like they struggle in the main comps get a better idea of how the top guns approach their NAFL, FIRA, CAN-AM entries each season.

The competition can run with as many entries as possible, with the format just being a simple knockout. 1st Round (16 entries for example), everybody votes to give to the designs they think are the best. The top X designs from that round move on to the next, with the others being eliminated or something else, until there's only one design that remains.

What do we think?

I was thinking a "design the worst jumper ever" comp would be fun.

Your choice, gradients, bad colour schemes, bad collar, bad template, short sleeves, unnecessary pin striping, number box, bad sponsor integration - or all of the above!

We always see the best of the board, let's see of they can be the worst!

Jun 24, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
ΠΓΣΣ LFC Sturt Steelers Nix

Your choice, gradients, bad colour schemes, bad collar, bad template, short sleeves, unnecessary pin striping, number box, bad sponsor integration - or all of the above!

*waits for someone to submit the Ochre* 😒

Interesting, a reverse it's broke fix it

*waits for someone to submit the Ochre* 😒
Huge ask since we fixed it

Apr 20, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks, Southampton FC

Could put teal on the Prison Bars.

May 25, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

I remember doing something like this in the Merger of the Week. I would pick the worst designs from each club a try to make them worse by combining the worst elements.

Imagine the orange from NM bounding roo, the barcode from Collingwood and The crows logo all on one guernsey.

Mar 30, 2014
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Dolphins, Seattle Kraken
Hey guys, thinking of a concept for a comp.

The idea: What would the AFL look like if all teams only had one kit and those kits did not clash with other teams? Is that possible? If so maybe FJGD could do it.

Format:
  • First team is random.
  • Build a kit using any colour/s ever worn by the team.
  • Design can’t be an straight up replica/recolour of real kits.
  • Votes for winning design each week.
  • Each subsequent week a different team is selected, unable to select main colour of any previous winners for the new kit design.
  • Later teams will be more difficult due to colour choices.
  • By the end we should have every team without a clash (hopefully)

New-IAFC-logo.png

New-IAFC-Jumper-Logo.png
New-IAFC-Jumper-Logo-Champions.png

Fair to say, this past IAFC comp had a couple of bumps in the road. However, instead of just running a second season and act like it’s a staple, I thought I would show the concepts/changes for the second season to everyone and see if it’s still worthy of 10 likes for verification.

First off, the number of teams will be reduced from 32 to 16. This prevents the comp from dragging on and losing that charm so to say. I still applaud the effort of those who stuck around and grinded out some beauties in less than a week and sometimes continuously.

Secondly, places will not be randomly generated. Colours will still be generated like normal.
Here is my regions concept

Regions-Idea.png

MapChart_Map (1).png

There will also be only one coin toss and it’s to decide if the first team will be International or Australian. Then the 2 will alternate
e.g. (Week 1 – A.C.T,
Week 2 – Region 1,
Week 3 – NSW,
Week 4 – Region 2 etc.)

Thirdly, there will be team limits. Originally, I was hoping that having no limit on the number of teams you can have would push others into competing with the freedom, instead I unwillingly had a monopoly on the comp effectively owning 1/3 of the teams. With that in mind, the max team limit per user will be 2, giving other designers a chance to grab a team if another user owns 2 teams.

Fourthly, all that is needed for an entry is a Home jumper. That’s all.
This puts less of a strain on designing and makes it the main attraction. The idea behind having 2 kits previously was to create an identity for the team, although churning out 2 kits and a logo every single week proved to be too much for some. It would’ve made sense to split the home and away kits so when 2 teams meet in the cup, the assigned home and away kits would be used. Though having both in 1 image can help envision the shown club’s identity and polling them against each other reminiscent of old school competitions here when kits were submitted all in 1 image.

As for logos, I've been toying with the idea of having one uniform logo template to make logo creating easier just like the use of the VFL shield. Either you can create a completely new one, edit one off Google images, recycle ones you have used or you can use a VFL shield

Finally, the winner of the last IAFC Cup gets to keep their team OR propose a relocation within the region/country the original team was located in and/or a name change. So there will be 1 less week for designing

I'm open to other ideas/tweaks!

Swooping_Magpie

it's swooping season
May 16, 2021
melbun
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
liverpool cheifs victory gators celtics
I have a solid idea for a comp.

The Idea: AFL club logos are to simple, fix 'em!

I have always thought some logos these days are a bit ordinary, e.g. Carlton (current), Melbourne (current), Fremantle (current), GWS, etc.

Format:
First team chosen by me
Winner decides next team
You can't change the identity of the team
You have to include all of the teams main colours
Voted by bigfooty users weekly

Let me know what you guys think, if you have any other suggestions just reply back :)

SunsphereParker

Senior List
Jul 30, 2020
AFL Club
Gold Coast
I have a solid idea for a comp.

The Idea: AFL club logos are to simple, fix 'em!

I have always thought some logos these days are a bit ordinary, e.g. Carlton (current), Melbourne (current), Fremantle (current), GWS, etc.

Format:
First team chosen by me
Winner decides next team
You can't change the identity of the team
You have to include all of the teams main colours
Voted by bigfooty users weekly

Let me know what you guys think, if you have any other suggestions just reply back :)
I’d suggest maybe clearing up the goal, just as “less simple“ is quite broad. An idea maybe would be to list, for a given week, all the features from said clubs logos past and present, with the entry criteria for submission being to include 2, 3 or even (more challenging) all from the list, e.g. for Melbourne: demon head, monogram, trident, shield, scroll etc. Another option would be for club logos to be redesigned as heraldic soccer style crests, which tend to be more elaborate and decorative. Regardless, I’d be game to take part!

Swooping_Magpie

it's swooping season
May 16, 2021
melbun
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
liverpool cheifs victory gators celtics
New idea (much better than the logo idea 😂😂): What if the AFL was a truly national comp?

The league would begin in 1987 (the same year the Eagles and Bears joined the VFL)
There would be 18 teams, like what we have in the AFL today.

They would be:
Brisbane Breakers
Cairns Titans
Canberra Capitals
East Fremantle Sharks (pre existing in the WAFL)
Geelong Cats (pre existing in the VFL)
Gold Coast Power
Melbourne Demons (pre existing in the VFL
Newcastle Stars
Northern Thunder
Norwood Reds (pre existing in the SANFL as the Redlegs)
Perth Devils (pre existing in the WAFL as the Demons)
Port Adelaide Magpies (pre existing in the SANFL)
Sturt Blues (pre existing in the SANFL as the Double Blues)
Subiaco Lions (pre existing in the WAFL)
Sydney Swans (pre existing in the VFL)
Tasmania Tigers
Waverly Wolves
Western Sydney Warriors (if the name sounds familiar to the A-league's Western Sydney Wanderers just remember this all would've happened long before the A-league)

It would be a weekly comp where you would design a home, away, clash and heritage for the chosen team, it would then go to vote. The winner would select the the team for the next week.

let me know if you'd be on board or if you have any suggestions.

Back