• No

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Maybe

Votes: 3 12.0%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 2 8.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Thats the problem with having your head in the sand and a dioet of kool aide. All states only have cases in quarentine - there are the very occasional exception and flair up but they are just dealt with efficiently. They will happen until there is a vaccine. The recent death in Qld is a case in point.

For example:
All COVID-19 cases diagnosed in NSW
supervisor_account Locally acquired
  • 0Last 24 hours
  • 0This week
  • 1,232Total
transfer_within_a_station Interstate
  • 0Last 24 hours
  • 0This week
  • 71Total
flight_land Overseas
  • 2Last 24 hours
  • 16This week
  • 1,803Total
Based on date of notification to NSW Health, up to 8pm 3 June 2020
Head in the sand? Kool aid? Give it a rest.

I actually think the time is about right to start opening up. Not for leisure travel, but for more industries, sure. But I'm not the premier.

McGowan reportedly has stated no community transmission for 30 days in Vic and NSW is the benchmark (heard this on ABC yesterday). They are nowhere near that mark, so based on his current position they won't be opening.

The borders are currently open to govt employees and no quarantine required coming back. Lots of exemptions are being granted.
Any evidence of this? I'm genuinely interested. I've seen a couple of people spout that in here but no examples to back it up. I've heard of a literal handful and they are definitely what you would call essential services.

Things seem really bad now on the hub front..

McGowan is digging in his heels, citing a refusal to allow AFL teams exemptions on the basis that FIFO miners need to relocate.

While the two WA clubs are adamant it will be no more than 4 weeks, I don't see how that could be the case. Borders will not be open in July when round 5 is completed.

They would need to establish a hub in Perth from round 6-13 or something and then have the WA clubs play away games, from 14-17, either FIFO if borders are open, or in a second hub.

West Coast Eagles, Fremantle Dockers adamant one-month stay on Gold Coast will not be extended despite border uncertainty

West Coast and Fremantle are confident they will not have to spend more than a month on the Gold Coast to restart the AFL season, despite continued uncertainty around when Western Australia’s border restrictions will be eased.
Both WA teams will travel to Queensland early next week and stay there for the next four rounds, each playing three away games and one nominal ’home’ clash.
What happens beyond round five remains the million-dollar question given the inability to host games in WA under current coronavirus restrictions.

WA’s government is refusing to exempt AFL players from having to spend 14 days in quarantine when arriving from interstate.
But the Eagles and Dockers have made clear their opposition to staying on the Gold Coast for any longer than the agreed four weeks.
“We might get up there and they might throw something at us but I’m pretty sure the players and the clubs are pretty strong on a maximum of four weeks,” Eagles midfielder Elliot Yeo told reporters on Wednesday.
“A lot of players are moving families over there. A lot of players are moving a lot of stuff over there and doing a big sacrifice.”
Nathan Vardy of the Eagles gets tackled by Matt Taberner and Andrew Brayshaw of the Dockers.

WA premier Mark McGowan has repeatedly said the hard border arrangements, which have been highly popular among Western Australians, will remain in place for the foreseeable future.
It is hoped interstate teams could eventually be allowed to train and play matches in WA while serving the 14-day quarantine period, allowing the AFL to rotate two teams at a time in and out of the state in a controlled manner.
“Clearly the best-case scenario is that the borders are relaxed here and then we can get back to some normal travel, fly-in, fly-out,” Dockers coach Justin Longmuir said.
“But the AFL has said they’re willing to explore Melbourne teams coming here in a hub situation.
“The AFL has been really supportive. They understand what we’re sacrificing to go over there and they’ve put a lot of things in place to make it as easy as they can for us.
“They understand that after a while, we’ll need to come home to family and friends.”

No one is chasing this dream. The election is 9 months away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then why keep borders closed for well run businesses with well resourced covid plans?

Partially opening borders for businesses who are on top of the protocols is a logical second step.

Are you saying the WA government are not in election mode nine months prior to a poll?

Attachments

• 1591243737823.png
    1591243737823.png
    81.6 KB · Views: 47

McGowan is digging in his heels, citing a refusal to allow AFL teams exemptions on the basis that FIFO miners need to relocate.

While the two WA clubs are adamant it will be no more than 4 weeks, I don't see how that could be the case. Borders will not be open in July when round 5 is completed.

They would need to establish a hub in Perth from round 6-13 or something and then have the WA clubs play away games, from 14-17, either FIFO if borders are open, or in a second hub.
With all due respect to FIFO workers, it's a big w**K.

Making a comparison between AFL teams and FIFO workers is a weak argument, it's all about showing what a strong man he is and what a strong government he leads. Pure politics.

There's a politics thread folks. This one is supposed to be footy. Beyond the likelihood or not of borders opening (and not the political machinations behind it), can we please shift this one back to footy/hub related discussion.

There's a politics thread folks. This one is supposed to be footy. Beyond the likelihood or not of borders opening (and not the political machinations behind it), can we please shift this one back to footy/hub related discussion.
I sort of get your point, although unfortunately the two things are currently very intertwined.

Our season is presently being strongly affected by political decisions, and may be determined by them.

Nevertheless, I will keep quiet about this issue. By the way, where is the politics thread?

I sort of get your point, although unfortunately the two things are currently very intertwined.

Our season is presently being strongly affected by political decisions, and may be determined by them.

Nevertheless, I will keep quiet about this issue. By the way, where is the politics thread?

Lizard/Trump thread

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Surely worst case, two Vic teams come over and play each other (while quarantining) then each of the Perth teams?

Personally, I reckon a few weeks of evidence that the AFL has its s**t together (hopefully) and I could see exemptions being given by the WA govt

Head in the sand? Kool aid? Give it a rest.

I actually think the time is about right to start opening up. Not for leisure travel, but for more industries, sure. But I'm not the premier.

McGowan reportedly has stated no community transmission for 30 days in Vic and NSW is the benchmark (heard this on ABC yesterday). They are nowhere near that mark, so based on his current position they won't be opening.

Any evidence of this? I'm genuinely interested. I've seen a couple of people spout that in here but no examples to back it up. I've heard of a literal handful and they are definitely what you would call essential services.
My best mate works for government. Did a trip east a week or so ago and is going this weekend for two weeks. No quarantine on the way back in (I saw him for lunch a few days after he got back).

I suspect both clubs are posturing. The inference being "we're not staying in a hub beyond 4 weeks". Your solution makes sense, after rnd 5, they do the bye week thing and have a Perth hub for 4 ends (can include the derby if needed). Then repeat for a Melbourne hub, then Perth hub again if required. Odds are the borders are relaxed at some point during this or the high court challenge is successful.

My best mate works for government. Did a trip east a week or so ago and is going this weekend for two weeks. No quarantine on the way back in (I saw him for lunch a few days after he got back).
Do you mind me asking what he does?

Some thoughts on the border restrictions and playing hubs.

McGowan has drawn a political line in the sand over border restrictions - he can't afford to back away from them now out of fear that he will no longer be seen to have control of the situation and look weak during an election year. It's more expedient politically to keep things locked down longer than is necessary if it galvanises your reputation as being someone who takes charge of a situation - especially so when there is a convenient 'other' in the form of the eastern states that can be used as a bogeyman.
There is no way I can see him easing any restrictions any time soon.

For all that I loathe and find detestable of Clive Palmer, his High Court challenge against the border restrictions is the probably the best chance to end the current requirement for competition hubs outside of home states. It does appear to have legs to stand upon also, arguing contravention of Section 92 of the Commonwealth Constitution:

On the imposition of uniform duties of customs, trade, commerce, and intercourse among the States, whether by means of internal carriage or ocean navigation, shall be absolutely free.

Considering the decline in COVID-19 cases, the High Court could certainly judge that the restrictions are excessively proportionate to the level of response that is currently required. My expectation is that the challenge will be successful and the restrictions will be eased to match other states from that day. (If McGowan really wants to get it up them, he could test whether domestic flights class as internal carriage, but it would be a petty act to do so and would also get panned by the press).

The case however is expected to be heard during the last week of current fixturing, which would mean the next block of allocated fixtures scheduled to commence from July 9 are likely to have already been put in place before its outcome. This obviously means the continuance of a hub 'somewhere' outside of WA for Rounds 6-9. The requirements to plan and accommodate a hub elsewhere in the current environment in a short timeframe are near impossible, so things will remain Gold Coast-based for those weeks. What could be expected from the four matches?

Four matches; one will be against Adelaide on the Gold Coast as a "home" game. Another will be the derby on the Sunday in Round 9, with it fixtured flexibly in the hope of restrictions being eased by then so it can occur in Perth without the need for byes. Which leaves two away games where travel will be required. The likely opponents if you source from the original fixture are St Kilda and Hawthorn.

Thus the Rounds 6-9 fixtures could be expected to be the following:

Round 6: Sat 11/07, Hawthorn (MCG)
Round 7: Sat 18/07, Adelaide (Carrara)
Round 8: Sat 25/07, St Kilda (Docklands)
Round 9: Sun 02/08, Fremantle (Perth)

The club will have lost the hosting of two home games in WA by the conclusion of the Gold Coast hub. That said, it will be 9 rounds into a 17 round season - where a standard home/away split would result in 9 WA matches (8 home, 8 away, plus Fremantle). It means with the derby a minimum of 6 of the last 9 matches in the fixture are to be played in Perth.

The hub may be away from home, but it also represents no travel for a month and the removal of the two longest trips in the competition entirely.
This is a massive opportunity - get this right and the club will have a top-two spot all but locked up by August.

Last edited:
Some thoughts on the border restrictions and playing hubs.

McGowan has drawn a political line in the sand over border restrictions - he can't afford to back away from them now out of fear that he will no longer be seen to have control of the situation and look weak during an election year. It's more expedient politically to keep things locked down longer than is necessary if it galvanises your reputation as being someone who takes charge of a situation - especially so when there is a convenient 'other' in the form of the eastern states that can be used as a bogeyman.
There is no way I can see him easing any restrictions any time soon.

For all that I loathe and find detestable of Clive Palmer, his High Court challenge against the border restrictions is the probably the best chance to end the current requirement for competition hubs outside of home states. It does appear to have legs to stand upon also, arguing contravention of Section 92 of the Commonwealth Constitution:

On the imposition of uniform duties of customs, trade, commerce, and intercourse among the States, whether by means of internal carriage or ocean navigation, shall be absolutely free.

Considering the decline in COVID-19 cases, the High Court could certainly judge that the restrictions are excessively proportionate to the level of response that is currently required. My expectation is that the challenge will be successful and the restrictions will be eased to match other states from that day. (If McGowan really wants to get it up them, he could test whether domestic flights class as internal carriage, but it would be a petty act to do so and would also get panned by the press).

The case however is expected to be heard during the last week of current fixturing, which would mean the next block of allocated fixtures scheduled to commence from July 9 are likely to have already been put in place before its outcome. This obviously means the continuance of a hub 'somewhere' outside of WA for Rounds 6-9. The requirements to plan and accommodate a hub elsewhere in the current environment in a short timeframe are near impossible, so things will remain Gold Coast-based for those weeks. What could be expected from the four matches?

Four matches; one will be against Adelaide on the Gold Coast as a "home" game. Another will be the derby on the Sunday in Round 9, with it fixtured flexibly in the hope of restrictions being eased by then so it can occur in Perth without the need for byes. Which leaves two away games where travel will be required. The likely opponents if you source from the original fixture are St Kilda and Hawthorn.

Thus the Rounds 6-9 fixtures could be expected to be the following:

Round 6: Sat 11/07, Hawthorn (MCG)
Round 7: Sat 18/07, Adelaide (Carrara)
Round 8: Sat 25/07, St Kilda (Docklands)
Round 9: Sun 02/08, Fremantle (Perth)

The club will have lost the hosting of two home games in WA by the conclusion of the Gold Coast hub. That said, it will be 9 rounds into a 17 round season - where a standard home/away split would result in 9 WA matches (8 home, 8 away, plus Fremantle). It means with the derby a minimum of 6 of the last 9 matches in the fixture are to be played in Perth.

The hub may be away from home, but it also represents no travel for a month and the removal of the two longest trips in the competition entirely.
This is a massive opportunity - get this right and the club will have a top-two spot all but locked up by August.
so six weeks in a hotel room is an opportunity?
What is the second prize?
The reality is that the club is forced into a compromised postion because of the WA Government and must endure conditions that are impoised by the Vic Government - that the AFL bow to. The AFL then applies further restrictions to staff support etc because povo clubs cannot afford more.

Last edited:
Surely 'Election Year' is the most irrelevant thing in WA these days.

McGowan could king hit someone at the Swinging Pig and rob an old Granny on his way out, the WA public is still not going to vote for Liza Harvey.

Marko will piss it in by the length of the flemington straight.

If i was Liza i wouldn't even bother, might as well just stay at home and focus on the flyers for 2024.

so six weeks in a hotel room is an opportunity?
What is the second prize?
The reality is that the club is forced into a compromised postion because of the WA Government and must endure conditions that are impoised by the Vic Government - that the AFL bow to. The AFL then applies further restrictions to staff support etc because povo clubs cannot afford more.

I don't disagree - the situation is currently outside of the control of both the club and the AFL.

However, this current situation could very easily have been the full length of the season. If the duration ends up being less than half of the 17 round season, it sets up an advantageous second half of the season regardless of opposition. The removal of needing to travel WA to Qld for any matches during this period is also significant in preventing fatigue from building up in the run-in to the finals.

The opportunity is if the club is able to negotiate the hub games well and come out of them in a strong position then it is all but guaranteed of a top two position, which on past history equates to a Grand Final appearance.

Back