• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 14, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardiff City
Things seem to be developing quickly now. Looks like we are heading towards something being in place well before the 22/06 when the schedule for Rounds 6-7 are to be announced.

Is there any chatter about similar things being done in Adelaide - or are the SA teams staying put in Qld throughout this period?

I have no love for the SA clubs, but if the GC hub continues for Round 6 and a WA hub follows for the next 6 weeks, there will only be 5 matches left in the shortened season with the Crows and Power still in Qld unless the SA government directly involves itself - it does seem like a raw deal for them.

Sep 16, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Things seem to be developing quickly now. Looks like we are heading towards something being in place well before the 22/06 when the schedule for Rounds 6-7 are to be announced.

Is there any chatter about similar things being done in Adelaide - or are the SA teams staying put in Qld throughout this period?

I have no love for the SA clubs, but if the GC hub continues for Round 6 and a WA hub follows for the next 6 weeks, there will only be 5 matches left in the shortened season with the Crows and Power still in Qld unless the SA government directly involves itself - it does seem like a raw deal for them.
I remember hearing the SA government was on the verge of allowing FIFO footy in the state just before the hubs were fixtured so I imagine SA will allow FIFO footy after the hub period.

Dec 7, 2000
Victoria home of football
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Eagles
Yeah it’s 100% going to be teams we’d beat in Melbourne anyway. Then we’ll be playing the rest of the top 8 away from home. Collingwood MCG and Cats at Kardinya plus maybe Hawks in Tassie or some other bs.

Guess it can’t be any worse than our original fixture. If we can get 2 of Hawthorn, Geelong, Pies or Giants at home plus Richmond at a neutral ground Id take that as a W (preferably two of the Vic sides).

Will die laughing if Geelong are forced to come to the WA hub and they have a sook about it. After the way they acted during the TK trade negotiations, giving zero f*cks for him needing to be near family, them being away from home for 3 weeks shouldn't be a problem.

EDIT: Forgot Danger already had a sook about hubs and not wanting to be away from family.

Sep 8, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Hub in Perth is good for WA ...AFL book out Crown for a month , money for WA .
Premier stands his ground AFL fold , WA money boost !!

Well done again Mark .

Yes it's inherently unfair but I'd laugh my f***ing ass off if a handful of Victorian clubs have to play 'home' games in a Perth hub.
They will have to. Someone has to be the home team for the "Quarantine Cup".

Avalor

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Jakarta
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth, Donnybrook, Chelsea
The only teams i want in the hub are Swans ( We ALWAYS lose over there ) and Geelong ( Again horrible record in Geelong). Hawks and Collingwood i am confident we could get a win. But i also wanna see what winging Dangerfield does if he has to spend time in a hub haha.

Dangerfield is quickly becoming a most disliked footballer, isn't he. Another fig-jam case.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
The only teams i want in the hub are Swans ( We ALWAYS lose over there ) and Geelong ( Again horrible record in Geelong). Hawks and Collingwood i am confident we could get a win. But i also wanna see what winging Dangerfield does if he has to spend time in a hub haha.

Would love this, for the reasons you outlined.

Plus would be a benefit for us to go up against Sydney ASAP given Buddy is looking at around 6 weeks before coming back.

FreeTK

Premiership Player
Oct 2, 2019
AFL Club
West Coast
Sounds like it is pretty much official.

Back home after round 6.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
Yeah it’s 100% going to be teams we’d beat in Melbourne anyway. Then we’ll be playing the rest of the top 8 away from home. Collingwood MCG and Cats at Kardinya plus maybe Hawks in Tassie or some other bs.

Guess it can’t be any worse than our original fixture. If we can get 2 of Hawthorn, Geelong, Pies or Giants at home plus Richmond at a neutral ground Id take that as a W (preferably two of the Vic sides).

I'd be happy v Cats who I think will be one as they are getting all their home games in Geelong and the AFL will want a Kelly Cup.

Swans another and any of the Melbourne sides bar Collingwood. Still keen on a MCG Pies game. Got the wood on them there.😁😎

Oct 29, 2007
Perth Western Australia
AFL Club
West Coast
Mcgown said interstate travel wont happen till the end of July at the earliest so if we play 4 games in the Queensland hub and 4 games in a hub at home , we should be right to travel interstate and back.

This works perfect in that we would have travelled by plane twice during the first 8-9 rounds and from there we would only need to travel 3-4 times.

The fact this talk of a WA Hub being confirmed early on will be a mental boost to the players with family's who might have that playing on their mind through during their stay in the hub.

Also another bonus is the lack of travel will be massive on senior players who might struggle to get up each week.

The fact this talk of a WA Hub being confirmed early on will be a mental boost to the players with family's who might have that playing on their mind through during their stay in the hub.

This is a massive point that won’t get the attention it needs I reckon.

How different will a four week stay on the Gold Coast feel if you know you’re coming home for a month afterward, versus a four week stay on the Gold Coast with the open ended possibility of having to remain for who knows how long.

Huge boost.

Feb 26, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
This is a massive point that won’t get the attention it needs I reckon.

How different will a four week stay on the Gold Coast feel if you know you’re coming home for a month afterward, versus a four week stay on the Gold Coast with the open ended possibility of having to remain for who knows how long.

Huge boost.
But if the Vic clubs are technically in quarantine when we play them won’t it defeat the purpose of it if our players are allowed to live at home and go in and out as they please?

WC and Freo will have to quarantine at Burswood without their families as well imo.

But if the Vic clubs are technically in quarantine when we play them won’t it defeat the purpose of it if our players are allowed to live at home and go in and out as they please?

WC and Freo will have to quarantine at Burswood without their families as well imo.

If I’m reading the tweets right I think Ryan Daniels suggested the Vic clubs would fly in, play each other during their two week “quarantine” which the government have now ticked off, unlike where they were a few weeks ago.

So the Vic clubs play each other whilst also quarantining for those first two weeks, THEN the WA clubs are fixtured against them.

An extra week in GC whilst some Vic clubs come here and play at Optus, then the Derby, THEN you have WA clubs vs Vics at Optus.

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast

Pretty sure AFL players are not allowed to go out as they please. They signed up for strict lockdown procedures to continue to minimise the risk of infection. If one player tests positive it could see the season suspended again.

Aug 14, 2004
Brisbane
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Cardiff City
So it looks like we are getting a WA hub.

Round 6 will take place for WA clubs on the Gold Coast with West Coast vs Adelaide and Fremantle vs a VIC/NSW club not involved with the WA hub.

Meanwhile, four Victorian clubs will head to Perth to feature in two Round 6 matches in the western hub.

The WA clubs then return home for the derby in Round 7, with the remaining fixturing as follows:

Round 7: Fremantle
Round 8: Vic club 1
Round 9: Vic club 2
Round 10: Vic club 3

A hub with a five week total duration, same as what is now expected to be the length of the current hub on the Gold Coast.

Leaving 7 weeks remaining to be fixtured, with the hope that border restrictions have eased by then to facilitate a regular home and away schedule.

So which clubs can we expect to be involved in the hub?

Let's make some assumptions on the hub itself:
  • by it's conclusion each club involved has played against each other
  • no club will experience any byes during the hub
  • West Coast and Fremantle will arrive a week after the 4 Victorian clubs
In order to fulfill that criteria, two of the teams travelling from Victoria will need to have already played against one of West Coast or Fremantle before the hub commences. Three clubs qualify: Essendon, Melbourne and Richmond.

Essendon being the only one of those three that would have played Fremantle, thus becomes involved in the hub. Melbourne is fixtured to play Essendon in Round 3, eliminating it from hub contention and leaving Richmond as one of the other clubs to be involved.

With Essendon and Richmond as part of the hub, it only leaves three Victorian teams left which will not have already played against them by Round 6: Geelong, North Melbourne and Western Bulldogs.

Considering Geelong is one of the clubs who were scheduled in the original 2020 fixture to play both WA teams in Perth (along with Collingwood, Melbourne and Richmond), it could be argued that they should be involved in the hub ahead of the other two - plus it makes for good media cover with the "Kelly clash".

Which leaves it out of the Kangaroos and Bulldogs as the final hub addition - two clubs that will play anywhere if a tin is rattled for them.

The original 2020 fixture gave the Bulldogs a significant handicap advantage - an advantage so large it it brings into question whether its occurrence was by accident or rather by design. I don't foresee the Bulldogs travelling very much this year, particularly not away to a hub.

That leaves the Kangaroos as the last of the four clubs to travel west - which gives plenty of time for Simmo-love by Kangas faithful in the media as well.

The following is an example of how such a hub would function:

WA-Hub-1a.jpg

Note: Red text denotes matches played under quarantine.

If this turns out to be true it will be a great development for both the club's prospects this year and for the football establishment in WA.

kerr87

Cancelled
Sep 22, 2016
AFL Club
West Coast
Great news for WA teams. What is the impact for our run home post WA Hub in terms of travel?

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
So it looks like we are getting a WA hub.

Round 6 will take place for WA clubs on the Gold Coast with West Coast vs Adelaide and Fremantle vs a VIC/NSW club not involved with the WA hub.

Meanwhile, four Victorian clubs will head to Perth to feature in two Round 6 matches in the western hub.

The WA clubs then return home for the derby in Round 7, with the remaining fixturing as follows:

Round 7: Fremantle
Round 8: Vic club 1
Round 9: Vic club 2
Round 10: Vic club 3

A hub with a five week total duration, same as what is now expected to be the length of the current hub on the Gold Coast.

Leaving 7 weeks remaining to be fixtured, with the hope that border restrictions have eased by then to facilitate a regular home and away schedule.

So which clubs can we expect to be involved in the hub?

Let's make some assumptions on the hub itself:
  • by it's conclusion each club involved has played against each other
  • no club will experience any byes during the hub
  • West Coast and Fremantle will arrive a week after the 4 Victorian clubs
In order to fulfill that criteria, two of the teams travelling from Victoria will need to have already played against one of West Coast or Fremantle before the hub commences. Three clubs qualify: Essendon, Melbourne and Richmond.

Essendon being the only one of those three that would have played Fremantle, thus becomes involved in the hub. Melbourne is fixtured to play Essendon in Round 3, eliminating it from hub contention and leaving Richmond as one of the other clubs to be involved.

With Essendon and Richmond as part of the hub, it only leaves three Victorian teams left which will not have already played against them by Round 6: Geelong, North Melbourne and Western Bulldogs.

Considering Geelong is one of the clubs who were scheduled in the original 2020 fixture to play both WA teams in Perth (along with Collingwood, Melbourne and Richmond), it could be argued that they should be involved in the hub ahead of the other two - plus it makes for good media cover with the "Kelly clash".

Which leaves it out of the Kangaroos and Bulldogs as the final hub addition - two clubs that will play anywhere if a tin is rattled for them.

The original 2020 fixture gave the Bulldogs a significant handicap advantage - an advantage so large it it brings into question whether its occurrence was by accident or rather by design. I don't foresee the Bulldogs travelling very much this year, particularly not away to a hub.

That leaves the Kangaroos as the last of the four clubs to travel west - which gives plenty of time for Simmo-love by Kangas faithful in the media as well.

The following is an example of how such a hub would function:

View attachment 889399
Note: Red text denotes matches played under quarantine.

If this turns out to be true it will be a great development for both the club's prospects this year and for the football establishment in WA.
Love the analysis. I will be very happy to play Geelong in Perth as it avoids a possible no-win road trip. We'll probably cop Sydney at the SCG later, but we'll have to beat them there some day.

Back